daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia

Old April 18th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
KarlG

Likes (Received): 0

DAUGAVPILS | Public Transport | Sabiedriskais Transports

So I didnt find any theme about Daugavpils tramway /or public transport in Daugavpils city, so I am opening this new thread to discuss and share photos of Daugavpils street railway vehicles, infrastructure and other stuff.

By bonifaacijs at 2011-10-03 Tramcar type RVR-6M2 No 065 on Maizes iela

By bonifaacijs at 2011-10-03 Tramcar type 71-605A No 103 on Maizes iela

By bonifaacijs at 2011-10-03 Tramcar type RVR-6M2 No 065 near Vienības laukums

By bonifaacijs at 2011-10-03 Tramcar type 71-605A No 109 on 18 Novembra iela

Last edited by KarlG; April 18th, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
KarlG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 583

Better merge this thread with Daugavpils projects, cause there are roughly any discussions concerning this town.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
KarlG

I am not really sure that is better way to merge threads, because another includes different information, as this one.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #4
EdgarsSTAR

Likes (Received): 133

RipleyLV ++++
EdgarsSTAR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Tin_Can

I can merge it to main Daugavpils thread,but are you guys sure that it's necessary?
Imho,it's pretty interesting topic...
Tin_Can está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
I can merge it to main Daugavpils thread,but are you guys sure that it's necessary?
Imho,it's pretty interesting topic...
If there would be somone who would contribute something about trams in Daugavpils, it would be intresting. But as you can see, we don't even have forumers from there (?) and there is almost no activity in the Daugavpils city thread.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Tin_Can

KarlG has made a nice start,so maybe things get rolling and people start contributing?

Btw,how do you say 'Tramways' in Latvian?
Tin_Can está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Raptorzzs

Likes (Received): 331

Tramvaji.
Raptorzzs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #9
KarlG

In latvian language: tramvajs (sg) tramvaji (pl)
----------------------------------------------
here is placed site of Daugavpils Tramway company: http://tramvajs.daugavpils.lv/
And some historical photos that may be interesting to others.
Lets turn on timewatch:

By bonifaacijs at 1946 Here you can see how tracks are placed on Sarkanarmijas (18. Novembra) iela in 1946.
First tramway run was in November 5th 1946, total lenght of line was about 5,7 km, tramway company has 75 workers and 10 tramcars, that were old used Riga two axle Phoenix, and they were reconstrued later by TU.

By bonifaacijs at 1946/1947 Ex. Riga two axle motorcar on curve tracks, 5 Augusta iela > Sarkanarmijas iela

By bonifaacijs at 2012-05-10 That same place in spring 2011

By bonifaacijs at 1950's
Here you can see reconstrued double traction of Phoenix. They were replaced in 60's by KTM2+KTP2 tractions. In mid 70's Daugavpils TU has a three KTM5 type "Ural" tramways, but they were returned to factory. In late 70's come RVR-6M2 early modifications, with "gothic" back windows and two power sockets, with later RVR-6M2 modifications in 80's. Tramcars of type KTM5M3 arrived in 1990/1991, and last new tramcar was 71-608K, that arrived from factory in 1994. Till the moment when arrived to Riga first Škoda 15T, it was newest tramcar in Latvia. Daugavpils is the only city in EU, where are in service soviet tramcar types, and one of few last cities where left RVR-6M2 in regular passanger service. So, as you can see, Daugavpils is great place to visit and see with your own eyes soviet street railway vehicles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by KarlG; April 19th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Russian lad

Likes (Received): 4

Decided to share few things about Daugavpils Public Transport. Over a past few years I've heard an idea of scrapping all the trams and substituting those with buses from many Daugavpils' citizens. However, in my opinion, we should be proud that we have such public transport system. Having experience in research on the most modern urban rail systems in Europe, I can say that trams are becoming "urban public transport of the future" and the fact that Daugavpils already has this system is great. It just requires modernisation and maybe some adjustment. As I mentioned in other thread:

"Speaking about existing tram system and that it is weird. It is weird in present state when most of industry in Ķīmiķu distrikt is gone. But when it still was there 2nd tram route had the function to deliver employees from Jaunbūve to the work and back.

Actually this whole new transport development is old soviet project and there are some doubts it actually needed at the moment. However, while EU is paying for that - why not The 2nd tram route extension to Jaunbūve was a part of soviet project as well, and new plan seems to facilitate this as well. "

I was happy to hear that the city and the EU will spend approx 10 million euro on modernisation of the infrastructure. However, tender results for new trams was cancelled by one of the governmental agencies on a basis of winning party being actually bankrupt. So it seems we will see new tender and this will take more time Luckily, the works on modernisation of the tracks will start soon according to the plan. Guess who won the tender? Of course, SIA Binders Together with the planned reconstruction of main highway 18 Novembra street (also won by SIA Binders) it will be one of the biggest infrastructure projects in Latvia. The project will also have a huge potential to create a transport collapse in the city. Nevertheless, fingers crossed.

I'll try to visit this thread regularly. If you have any questions just ask and I'll try to answer those even though I don't live in Daugavpils anymore. Still keep in touch with thing over there though.
Russian lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #11
makaveli6
(:

Wow, i havent heard of the idea of scrapping the trams. I must say that i agree with you about trams becoming urban public transport of the future. Replacing trams with buses would be a complete nonsense. The main plus for the tram in contrast to buses is that they dont have to stand in traffic jams (You have them in Daugavpils?). Anyway even if you don't, trams are still faster imho.
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #12
bebrs12

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Wow, i havent heard of the idea of scrapping the trams. I must say that i agree with you about trams becoming urban public transport of the future. Replacing trams with buses would be a complete nonsense. The main plus for the tram in contrast to buses is that they dont have to stand in traffic jams (You have them in Daugavpils?). Anyway even if you don't, trams are still faster imho.
I don't say that Daugavpils must necessary run to scrap trams, but such ''transport of the future'' is based on nothing than on emotions. There is no difference is the vehicle is on rails, rubber tires, goes on water or flies in sky. The difference is ride time, time to walk to stop and - the most important one - the time to wait for next vehicle.

Quote:
The main plus for the tram in contrast to buses is that they dont have to stand in traffic jams
The standing in traffic jams depends on rights-of-way not on the mode. You can remove all the tram tracks and place buslanes instead and the result would be the same as with trams.

What I see as a problem in Daugavpils is the same as in Riga and some other cities - the lack of transfer possibilities. There must be just a couple of main PT routes, but with high frequencies and good transfer possibilities in-between them.
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #13
makaveli6
(:

I dont know much about PT system in Daugavpils, only that they have trams and some new MB or Solaris (dont remember) buses. The buses seemed to be going around all of the city more or less. The tram network was kind of strange, serving alot of parts of the coty which seemed to be kind of abandoned. But my main point is that scrapping the trams would be idiotic, taking that they are built and working. The only problem is that the tracks are in need of reconstruction, and new trams should also be bought. Taking Riga for example, i would never choose 6th tram to go to Jugla, before the new 15T's were bought, simply because the trams were old, most of them were smelly and they didnt seem to be faster than bus, but now i would choose 6th tram. Why? Because the ride is very enjoyable, they seem to be faster than bus and they are spacious. I think that if Daugavpils would reconstruct all the lines and buy new trams, than the attitude of citizens about trams would also change.
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #14
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

well, the only popular line N1 is kind of busy, trams go every 5-10 minutes and they are full often, line connects city center with the biggest sleeper district. line 2 is useless now, probably line 3 is useless as well, but it is long and interesting running through forest in the end. anybody has line N3 photos? I hope it will be not cancelled, because tracks are in poor condition, service rare and not too demanded.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #15
EdgarsSTAR

WHY THE HELL D-PILS CAN HAVE 2 THREATS?!?!?! I`am going to open also for Rezekne 2 and more then............
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Jānis

Likes (Received): 1

Why does Riga has 3 general threads in first page alone and nobody cares?

Big reconstruction works is expected on Daugavpils tram network soon, so imo good thing we have a place for updates here.
Buses in Daugavpils are interesting as well.
Jānis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #17
EdgarsSTAR

To make updates at least make some photo, not copy + paste fron delfi and so on.......
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #18
Russian lad

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebrs12 View Post
I don't say that Daugavpils must necessary run to scrap trams, but such ''transport of the future'' is based on nothing than on emotions. There is no difference is the vehicle is on rails, rubber tires, goes on water or flies in sky. The difference is ride time, time to walk to stop and - the most important one - the time to wait for next vehicle.
You are correct about the emotions. Urban rail has some kind of wow-factor which is hard to explain. However, isn't it what we need to, public transport with good public perception, to create sustainable future? Moreover, there are several advantages to urban rail:
1) No emissions are left at the point of use as those are mainly electric
2) The safest mode of public transport in the world, especially in developed countries
3) Flexible in terms of capacity

The biggest disadvantage is that urban rail projects fare quite badly on cost-benefit analysis which makes them least preferred option. Considering that the system is already in place - it dismisses the biggest disadvantage.

Look on the Western European countries. Almost every major economics has new tram systems in planning or being built. Even the UK, who scratched quite sophisticated tram systems in 50s-60s are opening new tram links like in Edinburgh, Nottingham etc. Dublin had to buy bigger tramcars only 3 years after the launch of the system because of unexpected demand. You still doubt "transport of future", at least near future, statement?
Russian lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #19
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 583

How does Daugavpils tram network look like? I can't seem to find a decent map.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #20
Riechter

Likes (Received): 3

http://www.tundria.com/trams/LVA/Daugavpils-2010.png

http://www.daugavpils.lv/upload/2010..._shema_new.pdf

Here you go, RipleyLV!

Tags
public transport, tramways