daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Forum Issues

Forum Issues For suggestions, feedback, questions and other business.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Boba Fett22

Likes (Received): 53

The legality of putting photographs on Skyscrapercity

I was nearly not going to post this as Iím sure the admins of ssc would look into things like this, but Iíll just do it anyway, partly to be double sure.

A girl I know (kind of) saw that she was on one of the pictures that are on one of the threads in this site and was not happy, APPARENTLY.

For reasons of confidentiality I wonít say what thread I mean or what Poster.

From what I remember the girl said to me that no one is allowed to take photos of her. She said that she works in the Media as an actress (I think). If I remember right the reason she said that there cannot be photos of her on the Internet or I think anywhere on public is because she is an actress who works in tv/radio.

Also she is a Political writer and novelist according to one of her friends.

She told me that if the fella who was taking the photos was seen they would take the camera of him. She said he would not be allowed to take photos of her near the BBC.

The Poster in question was not taking photos of her but just of a street of a city in the British Isles and she just happened to be walking down it. I donít think he knew who she was, I didnít know she was an actress until she told me.

Do we need to be careful who and what we take photos of? Can TV or radio or stage actors or actresses not be photographed and put on this site even if accidentally?

I donít want to discourage people taking photos.

Some people tell me sheís wrong.

Sponsored Links

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Boba Fett22

Just to add she said she doesn't mind her photo being on the site (her friend told me she was unhappy) but that her friends would be unhappy with her photo being up.

It's a bummer if we have to be careful who we photograph if we do take photographs.

I dunno

Last edited by Boba Fett22; April 9th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Boba Fett22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
odlum833

Likes (Received): 617

AFAIK anyone can be filmed or photographed by anyone else in public. On private property might be different but i'm fairly sure it is not illegal to photograph or film people on a street and thus not wrong to publicise it on a forum like this.

Maybe someone will clarify.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #4
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3023

oooh interesting. can't wait for her to have someone stripped of their camera - forcing the deletion of images without a prior court order is criminal damage. taking the camera would be assault etc.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #5
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

No one has the right to privacy in a public place. Anyone can take a photo of anything or her and they can do with it as they please with it. She has zero rights and can legally do **** all. Aka she's chatting out of her arse and doesn't know a thing.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Boba Fett22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
She has zero rights and can legally do **** all. Aka she's chatting out of her arse and doesn't know a thing.

Maybe your right. She saw the photo of herself and her friend told me she was unhappy. Actually very unhappy APPARENTLY.

Can you imagine if we are taking pictures for ssc we have to walk up to people who are in the way and say "can your picture be posted online?"
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Mark O

Likes (Received): 0

She could always cover her face with a Burkha.

If you're on a public street you can take a photo of whatever you want, if other people happen to be in the photo then that's how it is, I've read of people being stopped by Police from taking pics on Vauxhall Bridge, but no laws are being broken.
Mark O no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #8
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett22 View Post

Maybe your right. She saw the photo of herself and her friend told me she was unhappy. Actually very unhappy APPARENTLY.

Can you imagine if we are taking pictures for ssc we have to walk up to people who are in the way and say "can your picture be posted online?"
Its not 'maybe' its fact. She can't stop anyone taking photos of her and she can't delete them. She can be as unhappy as she wants, she can't do shit.

'Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.'

'Officers do not have the power to delete digital images or destroy film at any point during a search. Deletion or destruction may only take place following seizure if there is a lawful power (such as a court order) that permits such deletion or destruction.'

'If someone distressed or bereaved asks the police to stop the media recording them, the request can be passed on to the media, but not enforced.'

http://www.met.police.uk/about/photography.htm
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Boba Fett22

To the Moderators, sorry to bump this thread, but just to say to people that I've explained to the girl that legally her photo CAN appear here so long as no one goes out of their way to photograph her and put it on the site.

I had thought she had done acting work, she hasn't but she's done some sort of TV/radio work.

Thanks.
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #10
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
To the Moderators, sorry to bump this thread, but just to say to people that I've explained to the girl that legally her photo CAN appear here so long as no one goes out of their way to photograph her and put it on the site.

I had thought she had done acting work, she hasn't but she's done some sort of TV/radio work.

Thanks.
That doesn't apply either, if someone wanted to go out of their way to take a photo and post it, thats perfectly legal too.
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Boba Fett22

Quote:
That doesn't apply either, if someone wanted to go out of their way to take a photo and post it, thats perfectly legal too.
I'm not being rude but are you serious???? I'd think it should be illegal a lot of people (not me) wouldn't like that.
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
I'm not being rude but are you serious???? I'd think it should be illegal a lot of people (not me) wouldn't like that.
You can photograph anyone you want when you are in a public place. They have no right to stop you. The only time this becomes an invasion of privacy is if they are in their own home and you are taking a picture from a public place. In that instance they may have a case against you. The second you leave your front door you and everyone else is fair game. If she does not want to be photographed, she must tell you. If you then continue to photograph someone who has asked you not to, then you could be liable to be charged with harassment. Though this is unlikely or all the paparazzi would be behind bars.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Boba Fett22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
If you then continue to photograph someone who has asked you not to, then you could be liable to be charged with harassment
What if someone asks you to remove a photograph of them from a website and you refuse?
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #14
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Its already been made clear two or three times. No one has the right to privacy to a public place. That means going out of the way to take a photo, it means accidentally, it means everything.

So yes I'm completely serious. You have a camera in the street and you take a photo of what ever you want. Read the link I posted by the Met Police. It clearly says you can do as you please in public and you can take a photo of anything. If I wanted to find you in the street and take a photo its perfectly legal.

If that was illegal.

One. We wouldn't have a free press and we wouldn't have a free country. Not even the BBC could film without the camera man getting arrested.
Two. Photographers and anyone taking taking a photo with a camera phone would be arrested in the streets on mass. You include the wrong person in a photo, in the nick.

You really want British streets to be like that over a photo of someones face which no one cares about on an internet forum?
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #15
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
What if someone asks you to remove a photograph of them from a website and you refuse?
I'll give you a number for the Metropolitan Police if you want? They'll happily tell you the same thing I've said multiple times.
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #16
Boba Fett22

Quote:
Its already been made clear two or three times. No one has the right to privacy to a public place.
OK point taken, I didn't mean to be annoying.

Quote:
If that was illegal.

One. We wouldn't have a free press and we wouldn't have a free country. Not even the BBC could film without the camera man getting arrested.
Two. Photographers and anyone taking taking a photo with a camera phone would be arrested in the streets on mass. You include the wrong person in a photo, in the nick.
True.

Quote:
You have a camera in the street and you take a photo of what ever you want. Read the link I posted by the Met Police. It clearly says you can do as you please in public and you can take a photo of anything. If I wanted to find you in the street and take a photo its perfectly legal
OK, but (and I know this doesn't mean anything) I'm just making the point that, according to one of her friends anyway, she was not a bit happy. I don't know if this is true or not but her friend told me she was considering legal action. But I know you're saying she can't.

But look I am NOT passing judgement on this girl, all I'm saying is that some guy I'd never met heard what she said to me and said something along the lines of "That girls off her head." "The banjo isn't playing properly" or something like that (talking about his opinion of her mental state).

*I wonder why she said no one (or not everyone) can photograph her if that isn't true?*

Last edited by Boba Fett22; April 25th, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Boba Fett22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #17
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:

*I wonder why she said no one (or not everyone) can photograph her if that isn't true?*
I put it down to three things. Ignorance, head up arse and complete lack of knowledge of the law. Many people 'think' you can't take a photo of them in the street because they think they have a right to privacy. News flash. They don't that right, no one ever has and its all a complete myth.

If she still doesn't get it. Tell her to read this thread and read the Mets website on taking photos. If she still doesn't get it after that and thinks legal action is a go, get her to talk a lawyer who will laugh and put the phone down. She's 1000% wrong and it isn't true. She cannot do shit.
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #18
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3023

a couple of months ago a friend of mine got divorced. she took her husband to the cleaners. she had a lawyer, and he did not. he based everything on what he believed was "right". people who do that inevitably end up with huge bills.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #19
Boba Fett22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
a couple of months ago a friend of mine got divorced. she took her husband to the cleaners. she had a lawyer, and he did not. he based everything on what he believed was "right". people who do that inevitably end up with huge bills.
If she were to try legal action you'd be ready to take her on

I'll tell her again She's just someone I know not a friend as such, but I like her. She's odd but likeable.

Even her own friends, if I remember correctly, doubted what she was saying.

I take it you have no intention of removing the photo?
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #20
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:

I take it you have no intention of removing the photo?
I find this whole thing very very bizarre. Its been made clear its not going to be removed and its clear no one has a legal right to have it removed. I think that question answers its self. I wouldn't even bother telling her again, just leave her to it.