daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > High-Rise Developments

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1881
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6167

I've seen you giddy! That was fun... hehe...

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1882
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4247

Why am I always tipsy when you poke your head around the corner? I'm quite calm most of the time, honest.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1883
Taller, Better
Administrator

hehe.. maybe that was "calm"!

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1884
mdparker

Likes (Received): 1

My favourite building in western Canada is the Wall Centre in Vancouver... If the top section of Aura can come close to achieving the curved-glass effect of that building, I'd be mighty impressed!
mdparker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #1885
isaidso
the new republic

Good eye with the One Wall Centre comparison. It's a gorgeous under rated building for sure. I'll be very pleased if the top of AURA comes off as good as One Wall too.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1886
Taller, Better
Administrator

One Wall was clearly done with flat panels of glass on a curved surface, not curved glass. I would have liked it a whole lot more if the City of Vancouver hadn't ordered a stop work on the project half way up, and forced the developers to switch from the unacceptable **gasp** dark glass to the ubiquitous bland green colour above. The City patted themselves on the back for not having allowed the disaster of a building that looked "dark" and therefore different than everything else that was approved for blue/green or white glazing.

photo by raggedy 13

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1887
isaidso
the new republic

It would have looked better with the dark glass all the way up, but it's Vancouver. The goal is to make buildings so bland that you don't notice they're there. They'd make all buildings invisible if they could. I honestly think the Vancouver planning department don't actually like buildings.

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #1888
Taller, Better
Administrator

Dark glass was completely, utterly banned for the rather bizarre logic that only blue/green or white glass would make buildings look "transparent". In the real world, however, buildings are never transparent because they are great huge hulking things.

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1889
mdparker

Likes (Received): 1

Colour aside, I'm surprised (but looking closely I concur) that it's flat glass panels... On a positive, it would be very hard to tell either way on the top, lighter section... I still think Aura and One Wall have a very similar feel in the way their top sections are designed... I'm like Woody Allen on the subject of awards, but this did win world's top skyscraper back in 2001 (Emporis)... Just a bit of perspective...
mdparker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1890
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Dark glass was completely, utterly banned for the rather bizarre logic that only blue/green or white glass would make buildings look "transparent". In the real world, however, buildings are never transparent because they are great huge hulking things.
Agree. How much pot have they been smoking? I just hope Vancouver can reverse some of the mistakes made with that sea of 10-30 floor blue/green glass condos they have. I'm not sure all that much can be done at this point. They're likely stuck with them for the next 100 years.

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #1891
MissyC

Don't you think that the two cities are going to very much look like each other? Toronto and Vancouver are increasingly becoming alikes.

Sheraton Wall Center and the top nudge of Aura VERY much resemble the same patterns and design and all that blue glass, dark or light, doesn't make it more attractive to me personally. But at least they are tall. but sure bland in taste.
Old April 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1892
isaidso
the new republic

I sense that the 10 year penchant for all glass buildings is coming to an end. I'm optimistic that we're seeing the last of these sterile skyscrapers and the next wave will have more texture, colour, and show more creativity. I like AURA quite a bit though. Wait till you visit then judge for yourself. It won't be as nice as Scotia Plaza, but it's a similar shape and height.

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #1893
Mollywood

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I sense that the 10 year penchant for all glass buildings is coming to an end. I'm optimistic that we're seeing the last of these sterile skyscrapers and the next wave will have more texture, colour, and show more creativity. I like AURA quite a bit though. Wait till you visit then judge for yourself. It won't be as nice as Scotia Plaza, but it's a similar shape and height.
I hope you're right and I also hope the grey spandrel thing comes to an end. It's beginning to drive me crazy. Whenever I see a new building going up, I look to see what colour the spandrel is and I'm almost always disappointed with ugly grey. (or grey metal trim, cladding) I wish they would use black instead. Or better yet, NO SPANDREL!
Mollywood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #1894
isaidso
the new republic

In the last 6 months we've seen at least 5 proposals that have signaled a return to texture, colour, and creativity. E Condos being the latest although that design was turned down by the Design review council, or what ever they're called.

I don't like spandrel either, but it looks alright on 300 Front Street West.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1895
Mollywood

Likes (Received): 47

The colour of the grey spandrel on 300 Front Street is better than most. It's kind of a creamy, light grey, so it doesn't look so bad. So far Aura has little grey, so I'm happy about that. I look forward to the large restaurant patios facing Yonge Street. That should be a festive place, especially during things like Pride & Caribana.
Mollywood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1896
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
Don't you think that the two cities are going to very much look like each other? Toronto and Vancouver are increasingly becoming alikes.
Not at all. Vancouver is a smaller and newer city, which a much narrower range of architectural styles, therefore so much now seems to look the '80's/ '90's blue/green glass now. Also, most of their towers end at exactly the same mid-height level, adding to the "sameness" of the plateau-like skyline. Toronto has a different architectural mix from Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian to present day; the glass buildings are part of it, but they do not dominate the downtown like they do in Vancouver. I'm glad that the newer towers coming on stream seem more playful with finishes and shapes and we do seem to be pulling out of the all-glazed phase.

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #1897
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollywood View Post
The colour of the grey spandrel on 300 Front Street is better than most. It's kind of a creamy, light grey, so it doesn't look so bad. So far Aura has little grey, so I'm happy about that. I look forward to the large restaurant patios facing Yonge Street. That should be a festive place, especially during things like Pride & Caribana.
Is that what's going on the Yonge side? That's a relief. I was fearing that Marshall's would take that spot. I heard they sell utter crap.

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1898
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Not at all. Vancouver is a smaller and newer city, which a much narrower range of architectural styles, therefore so much now seems to look the '80's/ '90's blue/green glass now. Also, most of their towers end at exactly the same mid-height level, adding to the "sameness" of the plateau-like skyline. Toronto has a different architectural mix from Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian to present day; the glass buildings are part of it, but they do not dominate the downtown like they do in Vancouver. I'm glad that the newer towers coming on stream seem more playful with finishes and shapes and we do seem to be pulling out of the all-glazed phase.
I agree, Toronto is coming to it's end of the Vancouver style phase and has come into it's own. We even see more Canadian cities like Ottawa, Calgary, and Montreal using the Toronto style over the Vancouver style these days. What works well in one location doesn't necessarily work in another. Toronto was following the leader when our boom started and that leader was Vancouver. Now as we see other condo makers start to heat up developers may look towards Toronto for design ideas.

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Calgary
image hosted on flickr

Toronto
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1899
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 121

What is the current floor count for Aura?

By my projection of 2.5 floors/month it should be on the 21st floor....
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1900
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 136

its on the 19th floor.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote