daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #101
gwiATLeman

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
You merely confirmed what I said, those near Atlanta view it differently than the rest of the country does. Put it this way , I don't think you'll see any national contests offering a weeks vacation in Atlanta as the grand prize, that is unless thay don't want to deal with too many entries.

And yes I am referring only to VACATION not convention or business travel.

On the other hand, my best friends parents won an Atlanta vacation ...in Germany. International tourism is on the rise, some whom come just for shopping (due to the weak dollar$) and I see them on Marta trains on a weekly basis.

IMO no city without an ocean or some other natural physical feature would be worthy of a weeks vacation. Even when traveling internationally it is rare to spend an entire week in one city without those features, because thats not the primary function of cities!

I'm honestly amazed that this is STILL being debated.

Atlanta wouldn't have 100,000 hotel rooms if it didn't have a tourism industry. At the same time it is not a leisure (VACATION) destination which EVERYONE as far as I can see has agreed with on this thread.

Last edited by gwiATLeman; April 28th, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
gwiATLeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #102
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiATLeman View Post
My best friends parents won an Atlanta vacation ...in Germany. Furthermore international tourism is on the rise, some who come just for shopping (due to the weak dollar$) and I see them on Marta trains on a weekly basis.

I'm amazed that this is STILL being debated.

Atlanta wouldn't have hotel 100,000 rooms if it didn't have a tourism industry. At the same time it is not a leisure (VACATION) destination and EVERYONE agrees with this.
They lived in Germany? I suppose that would be like winning a trip to Berlin or Oslo.
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #103
fubo

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
On the other hand, my best friends parents won an Atlanta vacation ...in Germany.
I believe you are making this up. What was the contest name, i would like to google it.
fubo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #104
annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
I believe you are making this up. What was the contest name, i would like to google it.
Really not that hard to imagine. They may have won a trip to attend something specifically in Atlanta.
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #105
fubo

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Really not that hard to imagine. They may have won a trip to attend something specifically in Atlanta.
Way too contrived and convenient to be true IMHO.
fubo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #106
gwiATLeman

Quote:
They lived in Germany? I suppose that would be like winning a trip to Berlin or Oslo.
Correct and if I remember correctly, it was based around the opening of the new Coke museum but I do know it was Coke related. BTW I've been to Berlin, I didn't stay a week and I wasn't there on business. Therefore, I was a tourist.

Last edited by gwiATLeman; April 27th, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #107
Hey_Hey

Likes (Received): 0

Getting back to the population totals....

I know things can change dramatically and that these estimates are still just estimates, but it's fun to project forward. Below are totals that would be expected in 2020 for each MSA if the growth rates remains the same.

Dallas - 8.47 million
Houston - 7.6 million
Miami - 6.72 million
Atlanta - 6.63 million
Orlando - 3.28 million
Tampa - 3.23 million
Charlotte - 2.83 million
San Antonio - 2.73 million
Austin - 2.56 million
Raleigh- 2.27 million
Nashville - 1.97 million
Norfolk - 1.76 million

I stopped after that. There may be some mistakes. If so, I apologize.

Some thoughts:
-Dallas may be closer to becoming the third largest metro area sooner than many think. At this rate it may overtake Chicago around 2025 or so.
-That being said, it may be tough for those bigger metros (Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta) to continue growing at those rates.
-Over the next few years the smaller metros in the south may find it easier to maintain growth rates.
Hey_Hey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #108
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG View Post
Estimated growth the past year, the darker the blue the more growth, darker red bigger decline.

Looks like Savannah metro is dark blue. Take that Augusta!
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #109
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhoj View Post
Can anyone explain to me why Charlton, Ga. was the fastest growing county?
It's done by percent growth, not actual numerical growth. If a county with 12,000 jumps to 13,500, that's a pretty significant increase percentage wise.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #110
annie_himself

Quote:
Correct and if I remember correctly, it was based around the opening of the new Coke museum but I do know it was Coke related. BTW I've been to Berlin, I didn't stay a week and I wasn't there on business. Therefore, I was a tourist.
I've been to Berlin, about 20 years ago.
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #111
spencer114

Likes (Received): 175

I was in Berlin about 12 years ago. Nice enough place, kind of like the Atlanta or Dallas of Europe. It's certainly not a destination city like Paris, London, Barcelona, Vienna or Rome. Perhaps the contest was "come see an OK place like Berlin in America". Of course the European equivalent of my city would be some dump like Brighton, Groningen or Calais
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #112
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 14439

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
It's getting even bluer cuz my sister's moving back to Savannah!
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #113
gwiATLeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
There's no doubt that Savannah's port-driven growth was approaching new levels for that city before the recession and I would expect that to continue if the US economy is healthy.
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #114
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
On the other hand, my best friends parents won an Atlanta vacation ...in Germany. International tourism is on the rise, some whom come just for shopping (due to the weak dollar$) and I see them on Marta trains on a weekly basis.

IMO no city without an ocean or some other natural physical feature would be worthy of a weeks vacation. Even when traveling internationally it is rare to spend an entire week in one city without those features, because thats not the primary function of cities!

I'm honestly amazed that this is STILL being debated.

Atlanta wouldn't have 100,000 hotel rooms if it didn't have a tourism industry. At the same time it is not a leisure (VACATION) destination which EVERYONE as far as I can see has agreed with on this thread.
Those of us who are familiar with Atlanta understand that tourism is a huge industry in the city...while not as large as places like Orlando, NYC, or Las Vegas, it is a large industry nonetheless (a 2nd tier tourist city in the U.S.) and nothing to scoff at. Those who aren't familar with Atlanta love to play this back and forth game like they have some inside information that they don't have. It's no big deal...we know the true story and I'm not sure why they are so intent on arguing about it. It's quite immature.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #115
annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Those of us who are familiar with Atlanta understand that tourism is a huge industry in the city...while not as large as places like Orlando, NYC, or Las Vegas, it is a large industry nonetheless (a 2nd tier tourist city in the U.S.) and nothing to scoff at. Those who aren't familar with Atlanta love to play this back and forth game like they have some inside information that they don't have. It's no big deal...we know the true story and I'm not sure why they are so intent on arguing about it. It's quite immature.
A forum's purpose is for people to gather and post, often engaging in non-violent arguments, such was what we just had about Atlanta.

Us city nerds are keen on more things than the normal person is, tourism to the average person has a connotation of a weekend getaway destination (NO, Gulf Shores, Santa Monica, Daytona, SF, NYC, etc). That does not describe Atlanta or cities similar to it in that regard. If it were such a tourist draw, you wouldn't have to prove it.

It's not a big deal, just because you live in Atlanta doesn't allow you some deeper insight to the city. You sound a tab bitter that Atlanta doesn't win this category to be honest.
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #116
spencer114

Likes (Received): 175

The reality is that it doesn't matter how ones sees him/herself. Objectivity isn't possible. Atlanta isn't a "destination" because those who don't live there don't see it as such.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #117
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Atlanta is undisputably a "regional" tourist destination though especially for residents in the surrounding area such as Birmingham, Savannah, Greenville, Knoxville, Nashville, etc who will go there to visit Six Flags, go visit the various museums and other cultural attractions not found in their own cities, pick up something at Ikea, etc. In this sense Atlanta is no different than Chicago or Philadelphia in this regard since those cities also serve the same function/purpose in their respective regions as far as tourism is concerned.

Quote:
A forum's purpose is for people to gather and post, often engaging in non-violent arguments, such was what we just had about Atlanta.

Us city nerds are keen on more things than the normal person is, tourism to the average person has a connotation of a weekend getaway destination (NO, Gulf Shores, Santa Monica, Daytona, SF, NYC, etc). That does not describe Atlanta or cities similar to it in that regard. If it were such a tourist draw, you wouldn't have to prove it.

It's not a big deal, just because you live in Atlanta doesn't allow you some deeper insight to the city. You sound a tab bitter that Atlanta doesn't win this category to be honest.
You lost all credibility when you grouped in Gulf Shores and Daytona Beach with those other cities.

Last edited by diablo234; April 29th, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #118
annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Atlanta is undisputably a "regional" tourist destination though especially for residents in the surrounding area such as Birmingham, Savannah, Greenville, Knoxville, Nashville, etc who will go there to visit Six Flags, go visit the various museums and other cultural attractions not found in their own cities, pick up something at Ikea, etc. In this sense Atlanta is no different than Chicago or Philadelphia in this regard since those cities also serve the same function/purpose in their respective regions as far as tourism is concerned.

You lost all credibility when you grouped in Gulf Shores and Daytona Beach with those other cities.
Agree with everything you said. Gulf Shores and Daytona are packed during the summer, as many beach towns are, but their economies are largely depended on tourism.
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #119
Pan-Afro-Man

Likes (Received): 56

Fayetteville, NC

1980 59,507 11.2%
1990 75,695 27.2%
2000 121,015 59.9%
2010 200,564 65.7%

I know y'all see the "Dark Blue"!!!!

I see FAY metro reaching +350k(City) overall 600k (Metro) by 2030
No longer is my ethnology a mystery. Thanks to the analysis of African Ancestry, I can now say that my maternal ancestry is Wolof/Igbo/Yoruba of Senegal & Nigeria. As African Americans, we have learned to embrace the Mother continent without having a direct identity to any of its tribes. Now, the lost children of the Motherland can reclaim their rightful place among their respective tribes. Thank you African Ancestry!
Pan-Afro-Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #120
JaguarReign

Likes (Received): 3

I have always been floored by some of the areas they place in Orlando's metro. Why is flagler county in Oralndo's metro? Why is Daytona there?
JaguarReign no está en línea   Reply With Quote