daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Development Archive

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #961
Travis007

Likes (Received): 51

Pinnacle and Concord developments are fueled immigrants and/or investors. French Quarter and RoCP have been built for years now and were developments at the beginning of the condo boom. The downtown condo market is more competitive than ever right now, which is why most developers are increasing the quality of design and marketing. Offcourse, there will be developers proposing below-par buildings but they generally appeal to a certain market. The majority of downtown buyers who are young urban professionals/families are more architecturally and aesthetically savvy. While mundane developments will continue to sell in Boroughs/Burbs.

Anyways, I'm over this discussion. And it's getting way off topic.

Last edited by Travis007; April 9th, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 9th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #962
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6176

French Quarter was a missed opportunity... it just somehow failed to convey the look they no doubt had initially intended to go for. There was a mini wave of condos went up in the 80's/90's with a "French" theme (read: attempt to look posh) and almost all of them looked waaay better in the romantic artist's conception than the harsh light of reality.

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #963
Mollywood

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopCanada View Post
You're sure not afraid to speak your mind. :o

Hoods north of Bloor along Bathurst, Avenue Road, Royal York, Dufferin, etc are all great suburban areas.. maybe you should check those out!

But we aint no Europe so coming over here expecting quality architecture (on par or greater than Europes) shouldn't be your number one objective as you'd be either hard pressed to find it, or it doesn't exist.

Much of the historic city has been long gone for many decades. Not on the same level as a city like Warsaw but urban renewal sure did its number on the fine city of Toronto.
Hoods on Bathurst & Duffrin are great? Are you kidding me? Those are 2 of the ugliest streets in Toronto. Both are unfriendly to pedestrians and lined with terrible strip malls. I used to live in that area and I hated it. If those are what you call "great suburban areas" then your definition of great is radically different than mine. Duffrin great?

Last edited by Mollywood; April 9th, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Mollywood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #964
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollywood View Post
Hoods on Bathurst & Duffrin are great? Are you kidding me? Those are 2 of the ugliest streets in Toronto. Both are unfriendly to pedestrians and lined with terrible strip malls. I used to live in that area and I hated it. If those are what you call "great suburban areas" then your definition of great is radically different than mine. Duffrin great?
I agree. I cringe just looking at those streets and try to pretend I never saw what I just did. They're depressing, grim, and ramshackle.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #965
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 473

I don't know why, and I know it's not a great building but I like the French Quarter and how it looks as it gets older and dirtier. Don't judge me :P
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #966
Taller, Better
Administrator

I wish it were set back a bit from that busy street, and had some sophisticated landscaping. To drive by and have it smack up against the sidewalk always seems a bit abrupt. But, in that respect one could say it was "European", because so many new European buildings seem to meet a narrow sidewalk abruptly in an offhand manner.

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #967
isaidso
the new republic

If it had a proper mansard roof, it would have gone a long way to making this building more successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
I don't know why, and I know it's not a great building but I like the French Quarter and how it looks as it gets older and dirtier. Don't judge me :P
I do hate it, but I'm sure there are tons that I like that you don't.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #968
Travis007

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
I grew up in the West End so Dufferin was pretty much my main corridor. And I totally agree that it's rubbish. It's basically a working class inner city suburban strip, anchored by the Dufferin Mall, the Galleria, and Yorkdale. Houses line up to the street consistently, but it's all architecturally unremarkable.

Bathurst does have its trashy parts, but the stretch from St.Clair until Eglinton isn't bad. It's lined with many nice low-rise early 1900's apartment buildings.
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #969
Mollywood

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
I grew up in the West End so Dufferin was pretty much my main corridor. And I totally agree that it's rubbish. It's basically a working class inner city suburban strip, anchored by the Dufferin Mall, the Galleria, and Yorkdale. Houses line up to the street consistently, but it's all architecturally unremarkable.

Bathurst does have its trashy parts, but the stretch from St.Clair until Eglinton isn't bad. It's lined with many nice low-rise early 1900's apartment buildings.
Yeah, I agree, Bathurst does have some parts in the north, around Eglinton, that aren't too bad but Duffrin, is butt ugly from King Street, all the way up. Even the houses are preety bad. It needs a complete make-over.
Mollywood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #970
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 321

I love Bathurst! (south of the 401 anyway) I've also got a soft spot for Dufferin (at least from Bloor to Eglinton)...classic working-class, inner-ish Toronto.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #971
InTheBeach
Indie Bean

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I agree. I cringe just looking at those streets and try to pretend I never saw what I just did. They're depressing, grim, and ramshackle.
While I share the sentiment, sometimes you need to find a good bagel or samosa shop, and they exist more often in these streetscapes.

So it's all grim until you get your fix, then the sun comes out.
Before the building fell
And every lightning rod
Has got to watch the storm cloud come.

- Us Ones In Between, Sunset Rubdown
InTheBeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #972
ONE HUMAN
misanthropic humanitarian

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Yeah, I agree, Bathurst does have some parts in the north, around Eglinton, that aren't too bad but Duffrin, is butt ugly from King Street, all the way up. Even the houses are preety bad. It needs a complete make-over.
Is there a particular reason you keep calling it Duffrin? Is this because you're from Tronto?
ONE HUMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #973
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
Although the quality of urban consistency does drop off once you hit north of Bloor, there are still decent pedestrian hubs scattered throughout the city.
I don't think Charlotte is alone in her views about what's north of St. Clair, east of Jarvis, and west of University. I've never been much impressed with anything outside of the core. It's not my cup of tea at all and only venture out there when I have to.

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #974
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBeach View Post
While I share the sentiment, sometimes you need to find a good bagel or samosa shop, and they exist more often in these streetscapes.

So it's all grim until you get your fix, then the sun comes out.
Hey I've been to Costa Rica, so I'm not averse to the occasional trek to Kensington in the summer. Costa Rica has monkeys, anteaters, beach, and sun to divert oneself from the dredge. These areas of Toronto? I'll wait till the sun comes out so I won't have to notice the surroundings.

Old April 14th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #975
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'm interested in all of the older, urban nabes of town; each one has its own little quirky secrets you can unearth if you nose about. Even the ones that haven't been poncified yet, and sometimes especially in those ones. Beyond those, up into the hinterland of suburbia, I lose interest rapidly and reach coma/flatline by the time streets and avenues start being called "Highways", followed by three digit numbers.

Old April 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #976
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 136

could a mod move this into completed? it's been complete for quite a while now.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #977
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 133

I really like the proportions and overall style of the building, I just wish it wasn't all a single monotonous tone of beige concrete. It would have looked stellar with some tactfully applied accent colours. Maybe some gold, silver, or black. And honestly, it really isn't too late. Even though it's complete they could make that type of small change to the finishes. Unlikely, but possible.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #978
isaidso
the new republic

The deco detailing was a little disappointing. It wouldn't have cost more to get it right. Did no one at this architecture firm not notice it looked really amateur?

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #979
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 473

This is still one of my favorite projects even if they didn't execute it as well as they could of. It's not green, it's not blue, and it's not glass so I like it.
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #980
Taller, Better
Administrator

The silhouette really adds to the skyline.

Tags
toronto