daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Highways and Bridges

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13550 votes, 4.84 average.
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #561
m_1973
msg

Likes (Received): 478

Yes Agra-Lucknow will start where YE meets NH2 or can say YE ends.

SP govt is pushing for all expressways originally proposed by Maya govt that includes Ganga expressway also.

Agra-Kanpur is part of original proposals. Now Akhilesh changed it to Agra-Lucknow via Kanpur. We have to wait for final alignment to know where Agra-Lucknow will meet GE at Kanpur. Connecting expressway is proposed from GE to Lucknow so my guess is Agra-Lucknow/Kanpur will meet at the same point on GE where connecting expressway starts for Lucknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
m 1973, will the Agra-Lucknow expressway start where this one ends? If that happens, then there would be an expressway from Delhi to Lucknow effectively. Maybe one more expressway from Lucknow to Gorakhpur/Ballia and we could see the Noida-Ballia expressway dreamed up by Mayawati become a reality.
m_1973 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 28th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #562
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh85 View Post
Looks amazing. I only wish they has used VMS for the safety messages etc.
VMS is pretty pointless in India.
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #563
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 232

What does VMS mean?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #564
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_1973 View Post
Yes Agra-Lucknow will start where YE meets NH2 or can say YE ends.

SP govt is pushing for all expressways originally proposed by Maya govt that includes Ganga expressway also.

Agra-Kanpur is part of original proposals. Now Akhilesh changed it to Agra-Lucknow via Kanpur. We have to wait for final alignment to know where Agra-Lucknow will meet GE at Kanpur. Connecting expressway is proposed from GE to Lucknow so my guess is Agra-Lucknow/Kanpur will meet at the same point on GE where connecting expressway starts for Lucknow
m1973, one thing I often felt is instead of trying to bid out the entire Ballia expressway in one single project, it might have been more feasible to break into four parts and than bid out each. I am not an expert on infrastructure but do you think if Mayawati then/SP now does this, it might be more feasible and also faster because all the four companies (if different companies win the contracts) can start their projects? Or is it impractical?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #565
hobbes100

Likes (Received): 19

Does anyone know what kind of interchange they have where YE ends and meets NH-2? Is it a partial cloverleaf? I hope it is designed in a way that it leaves scope for extending the YE into an ORR, connecting YE, NH2, NH3 and NH11 - that was the original plan.

At the very minimum, I hope there's some kind of interchange there, rather than sudden abrupt merge of YE into NH2! Google earth images are not recent enough to show exactly what it looks like.
hobbes100 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #566
hobbes100

Quote:
m1973, one thing I often felt is instead of trying to bid out the entire Ballia expressway in one single project, it might have been more feasible to break into four parts and than bid out each. I am not an expert on infrastructure but do you think if Mayawati then/SP now does this, it might be more feasible and also faster because all the four companies (if different companies win the contracts) can start their projects? Or is it impractical?
Breaking it up into pieces will make the project more affordable for individual players - it may expand the universe of companies who can bid for the project. It can be good or bad. More bidders means lower price. But it may also mean players who are not top notch and might be a little lacking in capabilities/experience can win the project.

But overall, larger projects provide more economies of scale to the developer. Even in a large project, work can start simultaneously in a number of sections. Developer will probably break up the project and sub-contract to multiple companies anyway.

NHAI has been trying to increase the contract size/length. NHDP I contracts were usually ~50km. For NHDP IV and V, many are 300-500km. But 1000km expressway is probably too large/expensive for a single co to handle.
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #567
m_1973
msg

UP govt originally divided the 1000km stretch into 4 parts and companies were asked to bid for one or more

The Expressway project is divided into four sectors, including the 253-km Greater Noida to Fatehgarh, including Farrukhabad Link at a cost of Rs. 7,631 crore; 305-km Fatehgarh to Dalmau (Raibareli), including Lucknow Link (Rs. 8,012 crore); 211-km Dalmau (Raibareli) to Aurai (Bhadoi), including Mirzapur Link (Rs. 6,124 crore) and 278-km Aurai (Bhadoi) to Balia link (Rs. 8,058 crore).
http://www.hindu.com/2007/12/07/stor...0759572300.htm

Now bidding process is history and I dont think anything is possible. We have to wait for environment clearance and I am sure JP will manage the project in best possible way in shortest possible time. JP plan to start work on GE in all 16 districts simultaneously.

Quote:
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #568
shree711

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadu View Post
Still the message boards are great .. Large prints and look high quality !! Amazing .. only wish we can have a standardized expressway all around the country like this !!
I am sure that the right lane isn't the only one which goes to agra. All 3 lanes do. Therefore, they should not divide the board for all 3. Only divide it approx 5 kms from the exits where they get reminded that their exit is on the left.

Therefore, they should do something where ALL 3 lanes say, Agra and everything else until their respective exits are close.
shree711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #569
saurabh85

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
What does VMS mean?
VMS stands for variable message signs. They are used on the Bandra Worli Sealink and a few highways in India.
saurabh85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #570
philebus

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree711 View Post
I am sure that the right lane isn't the only one which goes to agra. All 3 lanes do. Therefore, they should not divide the board for all 3. Only divide it approx 5 kms from the exits where they get reminded that their exit is on the left.

Therefore, they should do something where ALL 3 lanes say, Agra and everything else until their respective exits are close.
For 'drive on your left' style expressways, this signage in the right lane is most intuitive and standard.

The sign for farthest city on the expressway is in the fast lane. The closest/exit city sign is in the slow/exit lane.
philebus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #571
philebus

Likes (Received): 100

Nice pictures. When will this open to public?
philebus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #572
m_1973
msg

No idea..news report posted above suggest YE will open when all the work is complete.

Here is the update from official website
https://udyogbandhu.com/topics.aspx?mid=Expressways

Present Status

The estimated cost of the project is Rs.9,935 crores. Progress of Expressway as on 31.03.2012 is as under :

1. The construction work of the expressway has been completed.

2. 2 Nos. Interchanges have been constructed and remaining 4 Interchanges are under construction.

3. The construction work of all 3 Toll Plazas is in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philebus View Post
Nice pictures. When will this open to public?
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #573
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_1973 View Post

1. The construction work of the expressway has been completed.

2. 2 Nos. Interchanges have been constructed and remaining 4 Interchanges are under construction.

3. The construction work of all 3 Toll Plazas is in progress.
How can they say that the construction work of the expressway has been completed when 4 interchanges are under construction!! These interchanges are an integral part of the expressway.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #574
rajesh81

Likes (Received): 58

This Week Uttar Pradesh: Expressway ready but new govt isn’t

Expressway ready but new govt isn’t

The Yamuna Expressway between Greater Noida and Agra is almost ready, but the Akhilesh Yadav government does not want an early inauguration. The Samajwadi Party is still basking in its election victory, and the inauguration of the expressway would shift the focus, even if temporarily, on former chief minister Mayawati who executed the project in spite of roadblocks put up by the Samajwadi Party in the past. There is also the apprehension that farmers whose land had been acquired, and whom the SP had supported, would embarrass the government by using the occasion to rake up demands like higher compensation. The government is going slow on issues like approval of toll rates and speed limits for the expressway. It has asked the promoter to undertake plantation along the carriageway and make lighting arrangements.

Maya & the two Houses
After taking oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha, former chief minister and BSP president Mayawati has become chairperson of the BSP parliamentary party, like senior BJP leader L K Advani who is chairman of the BJP parliamentary party. She has been attending the Rajya Sabha regularly. But she devotes most of her time to organisational work in order to prepare the BSP for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. She is in regular touch with party co-ordinators in all states and holds a meeting with them on the 10th of every month. Partymen say the former chief minister is paying special attention to stengthening the BSP in Uttar Pradesh.

Race for RS seat
Within days of the sudden death of its national vice-president Brijbhushan Tiwari, the SP has several claimants to the Rajya Sabha seat that has fallen vacant. Shahid Siddiqui recently met Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav in Lucknow. Senior leader Bhagwati Singh too is lobbying. Also keen is Anuradha Chaudhary, who had left the Rashtriya Lok Dal and joined the SP just before the Assembly elections. Then there is the old claim of Delhi’s Imam Bukhari who had last month accused the SP of not giving Muslims their due in the Rajya Sabha, allegedly after the SP ignored his demand to nominate his brother. Tiwari died last week, after he had taken oath as MP.

A house for Uma
Uma Bharti, the BJP MLA from Charkhari, has finally been allotted a house in Mantri Awas in Gomti Nagar. As an MLA, she had originally been allotted a flat on the 14th floor of a highrise. She requested the government for a spacious bungalow, saying the flat was unsuitable for her security requirement and because of her status as a former Union minister. Initially, the government didn’t seem inclined to accept the argument. Then PWD Minister Shivpal Singh Yadav intervened after a Haridwar-based saint put in a word for Uma Bharti. She has now got a ministerial house whose number she regards as auspicious.
rajesh81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #575
hobbes100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
How can they say that the construction work of the expressway has been completed when 4 interchanges are under construction!! These interchanges are an integral part of the expressway.
Well, ideally, yeah, you'd want all the interchanges to be ready. However, if you have interchanges at the beginning and end of the expressway, it can still be opened. Given vast majority of people will travel end to end on the expressway, I'd rather have the expressway open and interchange work go on in parallel. I don't know how long the interchanges will take - but if it is months, it wouldn't make sense to delay the opening of the expressway for that long.

Remember, new interchanges are added to expressways all the time. In the future, we may have more than the 4 interchanges that are under construction on YE right now - but that doesn't mean we need to hold off on opening of the expressway till all the possible interchanges are built.

But I agree, all the "major" interchanges - certainly the ones at the two ends of the expressway - should be completed before it is opened.

I'm sure there are more (political) reasons behind delay of expressway opening than just concerns like interchanges and rest areas.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM   #576
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 438

I am not saying that expressway should not be opened if interchanges are not complete.

I was talking about nomenclature. They should not say that expressway is complete when important civil work is pending. They can say that the expressway is partially complete and is ready to use.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:08 AM   #577
hobbes100

Completely agree. Interchanges are crucial to expressways. Expressway should not be considered complete until all the planned interchanges are ready.

I want to make another point here, not necessarily about YE, but about expressways and interchanges in general - something I have noticed in Indian highways / expressways. And this is probably symptomatic of the point you made Abhishek -

I get the feeling that interchanges/exits are considered an afterthought in India. We spend hundreds or thousands of crores of rupees on expressways, but foolishly skimp on interchanges. There are two issue - 1) We don't make enough exits/interchanges and 2) the ones we do build are often of low quality/standard.

The biggest issue is 1) above. We don't understand that adding more exits/interchanges makes the expressway usable by more people. It's good for everyone:
- More people can access and use the road
- The developer gets more traffic and toll revenue
- There's more positive economic impact of the expressway on adjoining areas
- There would be potentially more support from areas where land has to be acquired if there's an interchange close by, bringing the benefits of the expressway to people living around

Anyone who has driven on freeways in the US can attest to the fact that there are abundant number of exits, and that's what makes them so useful / convenient. In densely populated areas, there is an exit almost every mile.

I don't see exit density (# of exits per km) anywhere close to that on Indian expressways. I'm talking about MPE, NE1, YE. I do realize that these expressways don't necessarily pass through cities, but still, I think they would benefit from more exits. Even urban elevated roads (like the one in Bangalore) seem to skimp on exits.

Anyway, there aren't too many expressways in India yet, so not a big issue. But as we start building more, hope the govt realizes the utility of exits and not skimp on them while planning expressways.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #578
m_1973
msg

Expressway ready: Jaypee team tells UP officials

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ex...cials/947199/0

In order to settle pending issues with the state government and ensure early inauguration of the 165-km-long Yamuna Expressway, a team of senior officers of Jaypee Group led by Manoj Gaur, Chief Executive Officer of Jaypee Infratech Ltd, met senior government officials today.

With photographs of the completed expressway taken at every 10 km, the team made presentation before the officials, including Industrial Development Commissioner of UP, claiming that the project has been completed and is ready for inauguration.

However, the state government has told the group that only official communication from the Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA) about completion of the project after taking up detailed inspection would be acceptable and further steps would be taken only after this.

Three main issues were raised during the meeting today: apart from discussing the issue of fixing toll fee and speed limit for the expressway, Jaypee Group has also requested intervention of the government to hand over balance land of about 80-90 hectare in Tappal, where 283 farmers have refused to part away with their land. As per the data made available by the Group, about Rs 5.74 crore of crop compensation has been given to such farmers since July 2010 but still the issue has not been settled.

The group also informed that in all Rs 345 crore has been paid to the Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority in the past three years to acquire 522 hectare of land in Tappal, Kripalpur, Jahangarh, Kansera and Jikarpur villages of Tappal block in Aligarh district. According to the presentation made by the group, out of the total hectare of land allotted to the group for development in Tappal, agreement with the farmers have been signed on 417 hectare of land only.

Moreover, the Jaypee group has informed that toll fee structure calculated as per UP Expressway (Levy of Tolls and Fixing of Fees and Realisation there of) rules 2010, has already been submitted to the Yamuna Expressway Authority. Not only this, according to the senior officials of Jaypee Group even the speed limit of 100km per hour for light vehicles and 60 km per hour for heavy vehicles has also been planned by concessionaire and YEIDA.

“While they were of the view that the project is ready for inauguration, we have told them that the decision has to be taken by YEIDA after an on-the-spot inspection. There is a set procedure and we are following that. Moreover, there are no files, which are pending with the government in this regard.” informed Industrial Development Commissioner Anil Kumar Gupta. This was the second meeting of Jaypee Group with the senior government officers in UP in past 10 days. Last week, the officials had met Chief Secretary Jawed Usmani.
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #579
SSCaddict
Sagar

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCaddict View Post
this quarter(October-December) only Rs 299 crore spent which shows that the expressway is almost complete.

Till 31.12.2011 Rs 11,587 crore.For 9 months this fiscal Rs 1,761 crore spent.

source
looks like all of the pending works were completed in this quarter Jan-March(may be trying to open before elections)

Rs 1000 crore spent in 3 months Jan-March.

Till 31.3.2012 total amount spent is Rs 12,534 crore.

nearly $550 million spent in last fiscal year.

source
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #580
shree711

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by philebus

For 'drive on your left' style expressways, this signage in the right lane is most intuitive and standard.

The sign for farthest city on the expressway is in the fast lane. The closest/exit city sign is in the slow/exit lane.
It gives the impression that this is the only lane going to Agra. Check out signage in the Uk and Hk and then you will see what I mean.
shree711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
india

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: