daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > The Urban Tourist

The Urban Tourist For those who enjoy big city traveling

Old April 18th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #21
KiwiSky
Ubi Societas Ibi Ius

Likes (Received): 83

Thatīs just awesome!
Beautiful shots, they took care on every single detail.
As a LOTR follower i will be there someday, no matter what.
At least im gonna watch the place at The Hobbit movie...
KiwiSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #22
Capt.Vimes

Likes (Received): 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSky View Post
Thatīs just awesome!
+1 Great pictures and amazing place, which I hope I will visit some day.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #23
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 4106

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSky View Post
Thatīs just awesome!
Thanks, I hope that you get to see it in real life, the photographs don't do it any justice and I can guarantee that you will love it Thanks for the comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
+1 Great pictures and amazing place, which I hope I will visit some day.
Thanks mate, it is a must see especially for LOTR fans ... have a great weekend

I AM NOT AFRAID OF GLAMOUR, I LOVE IT

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #25
Aerin

Wow, very nice pictures!

I can't believe I missed this. I just came back from New Zealand, was actually in the Waikato region going from Rotorua to Waitomo via Hamilton, so I could have stopped by if only I had known about this . I did read before about the Lord of the Rings set being dismantled so that's probably why I didn't bother doing additional research about it.

Anyway, what was the duration of the tour?
Aerin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM   #26
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerin View Post
Wow, very nice pictures!

I can't believe I missed this. I just came back from New Zealand, was actually in the Waikato region going from Rotorua to Waitomo via Hamilton, so I could have stopped by if only I had known about this . I did read before about the Lord of the Rings set being dismantled so that's probably why I didn't bother doing additional research about it.

Anyway, what was the duration of the tour?
Thanks What a shame that you missed it now you have an excuse to come and visit us again The tour was approx. one and a half hours, very much worth it. Did you have a great time in little NZ ?

+ INSTAGRAM
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #29
ikops

Likes (Received): 934

Some great landscapes.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #30
Aerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Thanks What a shame that you missed it now you have an excuse to come and visit us again The tour was approx. one and a half hours, very much worth it. Did you have a great time in little NZ ?
I'm still kicking myself--and your fantastic pics are not helping . I love the films and I think Peter Jackson and the crew did such an incredible job bringing the story to life. Well...I did get to see the Weta studio (didn't get to go in though) in Wellington so I guess that's some consolation.

I went as far north as the Bay of Islands and as far south as Dunedin and Te Anau. I think it's amazing that for a "little" country, NZ has many interesting places to see. Lots of highlights for me--in particular, the Waitomo glowworm cave boat ride, the helihike at Fox Glacier, the drive to Milford Sound and from Christchurch to Wanaka.

Definitely a very memorable trip not only for me but for my companions as well, despite (or because of?? ) the misadventures we had along the way.

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #31
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikops View Post
Some great landscapes.
Thanks ikops

Quote:
I'm still kicking myself--and your fantastic pics are not helping . I love the films and I think Peter Jackson and the crew did such an incredible job bringing the story to life. Well...I did get to see the Weta studio (didn't get to go in though) in Wellington so I guess that's some consolation.

I went as far north as the Bay of Islands and as far south as Dunedin and Te Anau. I think it's amazing that for a "little" country, NZ has many interesting places to see. Lots of highlights for me--in particular, the Waitomo glowworm cave boat ride, the helihike at Fox Glacier, the drive to Milford Sound and from Christchurch to Wanaka.

Definitely a very memorable trip not only for me but for my companions as well, despite (or because of?? ) the misadventures we had along the way.

The Weta Cave in Wellington is very interesting, they have opened a small store in Auckland which has been well received I have been living in NZ for 7 years now and you have seen much, much more than me - lucky bugger .... my favourite place in the World is Queenstown and the surrounding area, I have yet to see Milford Sound - I have been told that it is a once in a lifetime must-see. Best I get my priorities straight and see it

Thanks for all your kind words and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed yourself, hopefully you get to come back some day and I will be your personal guide in Auckland before you go off on your adventure in Hobbiton

+ INSTAGRAM
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #34
Aerin

Quote:

The Weta Cave in Wellington is very interesting, they have opened a small store in Auckland which has been well received I have been living in NZ for 7 years now and you have seen much, much more than me - lucky bugger .... my favourite place in the World is Queenstown and the surrounding area, I have yet to see Milford Sound - I have been told that it is a once in a lifetime must-see. Best I get my priorities straight and see it

Thanks for all your kind words and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed yourself, hopefully you get to come back some day and I will be your personal guide in Auckland before you go off on your adventure in Hobbiton
Where in Auckland is the store located? Looks like another place I missed...

Queenstown is beautiful--probably the most beautiful city I've seen in NZ. I managed to do some bike riding there around the lake and also tried the luge (miraculously I didn't crash ).

When I was doing my research for NZ, I came upon several reviews of people just raving about the road to Milford Sound--not the cruise, but the road. I was skeptical, or maybe I just didn't want to get too excited about it and then be disappointed. Then I went...and became a believer .
In short, you have to get yourself to Milford Sound. Do not fly in, but take a bus or get a car (preferably with another person as the driver).

Wow, thanks very much for your offer as a guide, although I don't know yet when I'll be able to return. Usually when I travel to a new place I try to cover as much as I can and make the most of my visit, with the idea that I probably won't get the opportunity to visit again, so it is very annoying to find out later on about the places that I had missed.

Forgot to ask before--would you mind sharing some interesting tidbits about the LOTR movies that you gleaned from the tour? Thanks!

Last edited by Aerin; April 26th, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #35
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Where in Auckland is the store located? Looks like another place I missed...

Queenstown is beautiful--probably the most beautiful city I've seen in NZ. I managed to do some bike riding there around the lake and also tried the luge (miraculously I didn't crash ).

When I was doing my research for NZ, I came upon several reviews of people just raving about the road to Milford Sound--not the cruise, but the road. I was skeptical, or maybe I just didn't want to get too excited about it and then be disappointed. Then I went...and became a believer .
In short, you have to get yourself to Milford Sound. Do not fly in, but take a bus or get a car (preferably with another person as the driver).

Wow, thanks very much for your offer as a guide, although I don't know yet when I'll be able to return. Usually when I travel to a new place I try to cover as much as I can and make the most of my visit, with the idea that I probably won't get the opportunity to visit again, so it is very annoying to find out later on about the places that I had missed.

Forgot to ask before--would you mind sharing some interesting tidbits about the LOTR movies that you gleaned from the tour? Thanks!
It is located at Sky City - close to the elevators where you go up Sky Tower - lots of knick-knacks I have just booked my trip to Queenstown in August (the highlight of my year ) and I am going to try and squeeze in a trip to Milford Sound, let's hope that I get to experience the road-trip before they build the monorail.

To be honest I was lurking in the background taking photographs and I hardly got to hear what the tour guide was saying I am definitely going to return to Hobbiton one day and then I will be all ears Have a great weekend mate and I am sorry that I don't have any inside info to share with you.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #38
Aerin

Quote:
It is located at Sky City - close to the elevators where you go up Sky Tower - lots of knick-knacks I have just booked my trip to Queenstown in August (the highlight of my year ) and I am going to try and squeeze in a trip to Milford Sound, let's hope that I get to experience the road-trip before they build the monorail.

To be honest I was lurking in the background taking photographs and I hardly got to hear what the tour guide was saying I am definitely going to return to Hobbiton one day and then I will be all ears Have a great weekend mate and I am sorry that I don't have any inside info to share with you.
Is it the store with the Uruk-hai and an Avatar character on display? If so, then I didn't miss it.

What monorail?
Anyway, hope you have lots of fun on your trip to Queenstown. Hopefully you make it to Milford Sound as well.
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #39
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Is it the store with the Uruk-hai and an Avatar character on display? If so, then I didn't miss it.

What monorail?
Anyway, hope you have lots of fun on your trip to Queenstown. Hopefully you make it to Milford Sound as well.
Sorry mate, I completely missed this Yeah it is the store with the King Kong, Avatar etc models.

This is the Fiordland Link Project ...

+ INSTAGRAM
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #40
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

I recently went to visit Hobbiton again, this time there was much more to see and enjoyed a specially brewed beer at The Green Dragon Inn/Pub ... enjoy the pics

HOBBITON | 22 DECEMBER 2012 | PART 1

image hosted on flickr

22 DEC 12 HOBBITON by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr