daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM   #521
Welkin

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
If they build a indoor stadium its gonna get more major events in to Twin Cities area, like SuperBowl and Wrestlemania.
There are not enough "big events" to justify these retractable roof/Domed stadiums. Check out the upcoming schedule at any major enclosed stadium and you will see that they are empty 90-95% of the year. 10 NFL games, a boat show, a garden show, a couple of mega concerts and Wrestlemania/Monster Truck. Thats about it; 30 nights out of 365 each year. They are incredibly expensive to maintain, have a 20-30 life span and loose a ton of money. These facilities are a suckers bet and a major cash drain, which is why Wilf does not want to pay for one on his own.

As for hosting the Super Bowl, most cities loose money on the deal. http://www.ibj.com/cib-expects-to-lo.../article/31969
Welkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:40 PM   #522
pesto

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
There are not enough "big events" to justify these retractable roof/Domed stadiums. Check out the upcoming schedule at any major enclosed stadium and you will see that they are empty 90-95% of the year. 10 NFL games, a boat show, a garden show, a couple of mega concerts and Wrestlemania/Monster Truck. Thats about it; 30 nights out of 365 each year. They are incredibly expensive to maintain, have a 20-30 life span and loose a ton of money. These facilities are a suckers bet and a major cash drain, which is why Wilf does not want to pay for one on his own.

As for hosting the Super Bowl, most cities loose money on the deal. http://www.ibj.com/cib-expects-to-lo.../article/31969
And it can't help Wilf that AEG and the LA Angels have talked regarding putting up a baseball stadium on the site previously intended for a football stadium. Poor timing; makes the threat of a move to LA look pretty thin.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:46 PM   #523
Somnifor
Chef beyond the wall

Likes (Received): 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post

btw, does anyone really believe the Vikes are leaving if the legislature doesn't give them the money? I don't think even the guv believes that. My guess is that Wilf will look very serious and say that they will have to explore other options for a year and then try again and again until some legislature is dumb enough to vote the money.

But we'll only find out if they vote "no".
Most people in the state who are old enough remember when the Twins were supposedly moving to Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I think because of the Twins drama there is a healthy degree of skepticism here when teams make threats.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:03 AM   #524
will101

Likes (Received): 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Most people in the state who are old enough remember when the Twins were supposedly moving to Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I think because of the Twins drama there is a healthy degree of skepticism here when teams make threats.
I think that there is a difference between moving to some place few people can point to on a map, and moving to Los Angeles. Something the Lakers can attest to.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #525
pesto

W-S is an interesting one; I never knew that. A beautiful city; I guess you have to draw people from the whole triangle to make it work.

My guess is that Wilf has zero interest in LA. AEG has pretty much said that they will own and run the stadium, decide bookings and own all the concessions. Plus they want a substantial minority stake in the team. Goodell has already stated in unusually clear terms that this is not an offer of interest to either the NFL or any owners.

I would suggest that the state tell him that they love him but that he should work on building a team, and they can rethink what is needed to help him stay worldclass in 5 years or so.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM   #526
spectre000

Likes (Received): 1128

The Vikings bill will be going to the Senate and House floor for a final Yea or Nay vote next monday. Hallelujah! I'd say it's only got a 50/50 chance. But I'm pleased we'll finally see the legislature vote for once.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #527
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
The Vikings bill will be going to the Senate and House floor for a final Yea or Nay vote next monday. Hallelujah! I'd say it's only got a 50/50 chance. But I'm pleased we'll finally see the legislature vote for once.
Putting it off that far means that one side wants to get some serious lobbying in. I would assume that is the pro-stadium crowd (unions, developers) since they're the ones raiding the cookie jar.

Could see some interesting (worthless) projects offerred to swing voters. After all, it's only fair to share the taxpayers' money.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #528
pesto

The gov vetoes new taxes and may have annoyed some legislators. To be safe, Roger Goodell has ordered 20 more horses' heads delivered to legislators tonight.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #529
spectre000

Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
The gov vetoes new taxes and may have annoyed some legislators. To be safe, Roger Goodell has ordered 20 more horses' heads delivered to legislators tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised. Monday is going to be a nail biter. It's looking like it'll be very very close.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #530
will101

Is there any indication if the governor will sign the bill if it passes?
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #531
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 50

What happens if the bill goes not to thru does the team move or will they try again with another bill ?
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #532
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
What happens if the bill goes not to thru does the team move or will they try again with another bill ?
Technically Los Angeles is this tasty carrot dangling within reach, but nobody wants to give up a big chunk of the team to move there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings weren't thinking about alternatives like Oklahoma City or San Antonio. Or they may stick it out, and come up with a better deal in Minnesota.
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #533
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Technically Los Angeles is this tasty carrot dangling within reach, but nobody wants to give up a big chunk of the team to move there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings weren't thinking about alternatives like Oklahoma City or San Antonio. Or they may stick it out, and come up with a better deal in Minnesota.
Yeah to be honest think staying in Minnesota is the best choice with moving to LA the 2nd best but moving to the other citys would mean losing you're core fan base
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #534
Franchise646

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
Yeah to be honest think staying in Minnesota is the best choice with moving to LA the 2nd best but moving to the other citys would mean losing you're core fan base
They would also lose the Vikings name colors and history. It was confirmed a few weeks ago that the Vikings Identity was made in with the Minnesota, they go and they have to Rebrand and they lose they're history. Pretty much the "Vikings" would be dead.
Franchise646 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #535
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise646 View Post
They would also lose the Vikings name colors and history. It was confirmed a few weeks ago that the Vikings Identity was made in with the Minnesota, they go and they have to Rebrand and they lose they're history. Pretty much the "Vikings" would be dead.
Absolutely not. The only occasions in history when a "rebrand" was required came out of legal settlements of teams leaving before their leases were up. There were no "rebrands" required for either of the Raiders moves, or for the Vancouver Grizzlies, New Orleans Jazz, Charlotte Hornets, Baltimore Colts, Los Angeles Rams, (baseball) New York Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers, (football) St. Louis Cardinals or Kansas City Kings. There are some teams that chose to rebrand, such as the Montreal Expos, both incarnations of Washington Senators or Houston Oilers. But the only two teams in history where a rebranding was required were the Cleveland Browns and Seattle Supersonics.
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #536
Franchise646

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Absolutely not. The only occasions in history when a "rebrand" was required came out of legal settlements of teams leaving before their leases were up. There were no "rebrands" required for either of the Raiders moves, or for the Vancouver Grizzlies, New Orleans Jazz, Charlotte Hornets, Baltimore Colts, Los Angeles Rams, (baseball) New York Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers, (football) St. Louis Cardinals or Kansas City Kings. There are some teams that chose to rebrand, such as the Montreal Expos, both incarnations of Washington Senators or Houston Oilers. But the only two teams in history where a rebranding was required were the Cleveland Browns and Seattle Supersonics.
Look up the cleveland amendment, IF and that is a big IF cause I think they will get the bill pass, they won't be the "LA Vikings", they will be the LA "New name here".
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #537
will101

Quote:
Look up the cleveland amendment, IF and that is a big IF cause I think they will get the bill pass, they won't be the "LA Vikings", they will be the LA "New name here".
Nope, nothing under "cleveland amendment" in Google. Bunch of stuff on upcoming ballots, but nothing about football or the Vikings. And, since this would be a move across state lines, the only amendment that could possibly make a difference would be one to the US Constitution. No other level of court would have jurisdiction.
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #538
Franchise646

Its that hour and a half video that were that vikings vp was there. I'm looking for it but it was moved. It's the Minnesota Vikings stadium dabate form 4/20.
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #539
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Assuming they would lose the name and history I doubt they would be "forced" to choose new colors. Why couldn't they re-brand and keep purple and gold?
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #540
Franchise646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
Assuming they would lose the name and history I doubt they would be "forced" to choose new colors. Why couldn't they re-brand and keep purple and gold?
The colors are part of the brand.

Tags
american football, minnesota