daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #61
samounde

Likes (Received): 43

It wasn't a city council project. It was a project by Pan Africa Life and city council just simply put there name there same as the roundabout at the Department of Defence in Hurlingham done by Silver Springs Hotel and the new bus lay-by's with the seats and professional shoeshine places and the dustbins which you may notice are significantly more in uptown than anywhere else in the city.
samounde no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #62
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
awesome.thats a good job by kanjo.But wish this was a continuous thing and not an isolated project.kanjo should have this projects all over town.tomboya ,moi avenue u name it.hope this and mama ngina(style) could be replicated all over cbd mpaka huko river road and upperhill
Not by kanjo, one of the banks financed it.
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #63
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 515

City Park to Be Rehabilitated

Quote:
Nairobi, 16 April 2012 -- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed yesterday between the Government of Kenya, the Ministry of State for National Heritage and Culture, the City Council of Nairobi and the Aga Khan Trust for Culture to collaborate in the rehabilitation and restoration of the Nairobi City Park to international standards in terms of architecture, landscape and horticulture.

Signatories included Prince Hussain Aga Khan on behalf of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, Mr. Philip Kisia - Town Clerk, Nairobi City Council, Professor Karega Mutahi, Permanent Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister and Ministry of Local Government and Dr Jacob Ole Miaron, Permanent secretary, Ministry of State for National Heritage and Culture.

“This partnership represents a continued commitment to working with the Government in order to support development for all Kenyans,” said Prince Hussain Aga Khan. “It is an important step towards ensuring that the historical and cultural heritage, as well as the significant biodiversity of Nairobi City Park, is conserved now and for the generations to come.”

The primary objective of the collaboration and project is to rehabilitate and redevelop Nairobi's City Park as a major metropolitan park which will be recognised internationally for excellence in restoration, environmental practices and financial self-sustainability. The project will create a prototype of urban park rehabilitation in Kenya and restore the City Park such that it complements and enhances the existing environmentally important areas and will become an attraction of great repute.

The agreement foresees collaboration through environmental improvements, landscape architectural conservation and enhancement and creation of new facilities. These activities will improve the quality of the site, making the environment safe for visitors to the City Park and provide the necessary infrastructures by respecting the natural and cultural heritage of the City Park and the people of Kenya.

http://www.akdn.org/Content/1129
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #64
royco mchuzi

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
Kenyatta Avenue.

I like what they have done to the lower end of this street. They removed those ugly black and white barriers and and threw in a nice lawn and red cabro pavement. It looks more spacious and inviting.

Before.

image hosted on flickr

After.

image hosted on flickr
This is really awesome.I wonder whats so hard about replicating all this througout the city.This is basically what kanjo should be doing on day to day basis and shouldnt be like 1 project in 5 years!Otherwise te've got no biz collecting city taxes
royco mchuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #65
royco mchuzi

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
City Park to Be Rehabilitated
Good news.!!now i wish they could get some major funding for uhuru park and do some major ladscaping esp the side that people use for political campaigns and all.It looks neglected.they should also re-invent uhuru park and include some major social amenities and turn that place into a modern park .

On other news do u think they will plant trees along the new thika road and do some major beautification on that road?i.e in terms of proper paving and grass.

And can someone tell me what kind of grass is that planted on kenyatta avenue in pic above.They should plant that on thika road and maintain it
royco mchuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM   #66
DAKTA
Daniel, the Engineure

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
Not by kanjo, one of the banks financed it.
Pan African bank Sponsored and the contractor who did the work was Nodas. The role of the City kanjo was 'to be the client' nothing more.
"Generally urban transport system development is an endless process of supply chasing demand. The effort is incremental, endless and frustrating. The equilibrium between demand and supply is fragile and is of short period. As urban transport investments are bulky and gestation periods long, the perception of the public is that of inaction and inefficiency. The Red Fox Syndrome, of need to run faster and faster to stay where one is,operates''

DAKTA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM   #67
DAKTA
Daniel, the Engineure

After a heavy downpour yesterday, Kenyatta avenue was literally a dam especially next to ICEA building. Imagine this is CBD. This is not serious, even though Kanjo has contributed 'a lot' to beautification programmes. I think they should start with pavement and drainage first.
sample this
image hosted on flickr
"Generally urban transport system development is an endless process of supply chasing demand. The effort is incremental, endless and frustrating. The equilibrium between demand and supply is fragile and is of short period. As urban transport investments are bulky and gestation periods long, the perception of the public is that of inaction and inefficiency. The Red Fox Syndrome, of need to run faster and faster to stay where one is,operates''

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM   #68
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 1336

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKTA View Post
After a heavy downpour yesterday, Kenyatta avenue was literally a dam especially next to ICEA building. Imagine this is CBD. This is not serious, even though Kanjo has contributed 'a lot' to beautification programmes. I think they should start with pavement and drainage first.
sample this
image hosted on flickr
I agree the place looks like a small pond i feel the city council has let us down and made things even worse.. when was even the last time when drainage points were cleaned in nairobi

Last edited by Adm.Adama; May 2nd, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:56 AM   #69
Dhuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
I agree the place looks like a small pond i feel the city council has lt us down and made things even worse.. when was even the last time when drainage points were cleaned in nairobi
They clean them when they clog but never to preempt anything and as soon as the flow is restored off they go.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:50 AM   #70
Adm.Adama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
They clean them when they clog but never to preempt anything and as soon as the flow is restored off they go.
No wonder they dont have any skilled workers bure kabisa ati world class city and the main street is flooding that is the biggest joke in kenya.I even saw on the news once they unclog the drainage they leave the trash on the sidewalk later having it washed back into the drains ?????
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #71
Adm.Adama

This video shows it all http://youtu.be/aoHQ8h_AeCw
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #72
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Seriously even a village chief can do better than this
Malaika254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #73
Mkenyasili

Likes (Received): 145

Shame! SMH
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #74
Adm.Adama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaika254 View Post
Seriously even a village chief can do better than this
Right too much red tape and an incompetent city mayor and clerk like really this is unacceptable what happened to our Green City in the sun
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #75
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 515

Lets not derail this thread. Stick to the NCC Kisia thread if you have to comment on the councils failures.
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #76
Arzedu

Likes (Received): 150

This is the very antithesis of our campaign for Nairobi's beautification

Looks like it will take us a long time (and a different mindset) to improve our sorry lot

Sad
Arzedu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #77
DAKTA
Daniel, the Engineure

While someone thinks we are derailing the thread, we or (rather I) see nothing being done by NCC to improve on the beauty or lost glory of the 'city in the sun' OR the city council has more serious problems to solve
and hence that is why I am negative in this thread. We have to agree on only one thing that WE CANNOT ALL AGREE ON ONE THING. My contribution to this thread is very clear on my thoughts: that instead of NCC focusing on the Nairobi Beautification programmes, it has more serious problems to solve. As you can see on the photo I posted, this Kenyatta avenue where beautification has already taken place courtesy of Pan African Bank (see on background of photo) but what is the essence of this beauty if the pavements (roads and footpaths) are all flooded. That is the point I was trying to bring home. I took that photo purposely to juxtaposition what is in the "proposers" and "opposers" minds

Now this I do have to question, because each of us is an individual with unique experiences, perspectives, backgrounds, knowledge, opinions, and interpretations of the events in our lives and the world as we see it............that influence our outlook on life, how we relate to others, and what we seek in our interactions with others. So I highly doubt that your point is ever the same as my point when I post. Each person has something to contribute to a discussion, but that contribution, from my perspective based on the above "uniquenesses" is going to have different influences.

Last edited by DAKTA; May 7th, 2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo error
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #78
xJamaax

Quote:
xJamaax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #79
kaguangi1

Likes (Received): 239

kisia if u cannot drain nairobi of simple rainwater and garbage how can u run its affair as governor?
kaguangi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #80
Dhuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKTA View Post
While someone thinks we are derailing the thread, we or (rather I) see nothing being done by NCC to improve on the beauty or lost glory of the 'city in the sun' OR the city council has more serious problems to solve
and hence that is why I am negative in this thread. We have to agree on only one thing that WE CANNOT ALL AGREE ON ONE THING. My contribution to this thread is very clear on my thoughts: that instead of NCC focusing on the Nairobi Beautification programmes, it has more serious problems to solve. As you can see on the photo I posted, this Kenyatta avenue where beautification has already taken place courtesy of Pan African Bank (see on background of photo) but what is the essence of this beauty if the pavements (roads and footpaths) are all flooded. That is the point I was trying to bring home. I took that photo purposely to juxtaposition what is in the "proposers" and "opposers" minds

Now this I do have to question, because each of us is an individual with unique experiences, perspectives, backgrounds, knowledge, opinions, and interpretations of the events in our lives and the world as we see it............that influence our outlook on life, how we relate to others, and what we seek in our interactions with others. So I highly doubt that your point is ever the same as my point when I post. Each person has something to contribute to a discussion, but that contribution, from my perspective based on the above "uniquenesses" is going to have different influences.
Guys am one of those with a penchant for faultin CCN but i see no sense in doing it in a thread made to showcase beautification of Nairobi. Its nothing personal this is a PHOTO GALLERY SECTION OF NCC BEAUTIFICATION!There is nothing wrong with criticizing CCN but choose the right thread.