daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #4021
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,677
Likes (Received): 738

One other thing to consider, Nikola:

Since Spurs first announced, in October 2008, their intention to build a new stadium, the global economy has experienced its deepest recession in 80 years.

As previously stated, Spurs will have to pay for the stadium without the help of central or local government or the riches of a billionaire. That will mean taking on a large amount of debt. It will also mean having to secure a major naming rights deal.

The duration and severity of this recession have greatly complicated both those aims. Banks have been very reluctant to lend. And potential sponsors have been very reluctant to commit large sums to a naming rights deal.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #4022
Harry1990
Registered User
 
Harry1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 659
Likes (Received): 35

bit off topic , but after todays statue unveiling at St James Park for one of football true greats Sir Bobby Robson, do you not think we should have one for the stadium the man made this club what it is today, and dedicated his life towards Tottenham, i think a memorial to John White would be nice too,

didnt Don Revie have a statue done this week too?
__________________
Audere est Facere
Harry1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #4023
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,677
Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1990 View Post
bit off topic , but after todays statue unveiling at St James Park for one of football true greats Sir Bobby Robson, do you not think we should have one for the stadium the man made this club what it is today, and dedicated his life towards Tottenham, i think a memorial to John White would be nice too,

didnt Don Revie have a statue done this week too?
The club has already announced plans for a statue of Billy Nick at the new stadium. It will stand where the current gates are (I believe that the gates will remain too). It will be based on that famous picture of him standing at the White Hart Lane gates.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #4024
Harry1990
Registered User
 
Harry1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 659
Likes (Received): 35

ah excellant, i hope they put a quote or quotes from the great man on the statue somewhere

think my favourite is this one,

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we at Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory
__________________
Audere est Facere
Harry1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4025
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,145
Likes (Received): 1586

A new primary free school will be based in a Tottenham housing development to be built by Spurs as part of its new stadium plan.

The E-ACT Free Schools Trust (EFST) announced today that it had agreed with the club and Department for Education (DfE) that it would open its school building at 881 High Road in September 2015, as part of a housing development due to be built as part of the Northumberland Development Project.

The school, which will open this September to 120 reception and Year 1 pupils, will be temporarily based for three years in the College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London’s campus in High Road.

The project, closely linked to Highgate School, was given the go ahead by the DfE in February and will eventually cater for 420 students up to Year 6.

Free schools, which are funded by the state and from sponsorship, have freedom from local authority control and greater autonomy over their finances and curriculum.

Headteacher Sonia Mallick said: “I am excited to be working with EFST, Highgate School and alongside Spurs to create a new and purpose built school for the local community.

“It will be designed to deliver educational achievement and excellence for secure and happy children.”

The school will use the same admissions criteria as Haringey Council and the application process will be managed by council officers.

Spurs revealed in February that they were in talks to open a free school within the new stadium, after Education Secretary Michael Gove wrote to all Premier League clubs asking them to consider setting up schools.

Chief executive of the club’s foundation, Grant Cornwall, said: “We have a strong commitment to local schools in the neighbourhood and we look forward to welcoming and working closely with the free school as part of that wider school family.”

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk...g_development/
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #4026
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,677
Likes (Received): 738

Cheers, Rob.

Opening in September 2015?

Interesting!

Very interesting!

Because the land upon which the housing and school will be built is where the southern end of the stadium currently resides.

So, if this article is accurate (no guarantee of that, of course), we can take it as a given that the plan is for the stadium also to be fully complete by summer 2015. And that's a year ahead of previous guesses.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #4027
Buckle & pals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Le cittá invisibili
Posts: 364
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Cheers, Rob.

Opening in September 2015?

Interesting!

Very interesting!

Because the land upon which the housing and school will be built is where the southern end of the stadium currently resides.

So, if this article is accurate (no guarantee of that, of course), we can take it as a given that the plan is for the stadium also to be fully complete by summer 2015. And that's a year ahead of previous guesses.
Jim,

If I read the article correctly, it looks as the school will be open for business from this autumn in temporary premises (something fatspur mentioned). Then 3 years later, in 2015, it will move to a permanent address at 881 High Road, which is between Seven Sisters tube and Bruce Grove. The article mentions that this is part of a 'housing development' in the NDP, but it would appear to be a 'satellite' site not on the core site of the supermarket, stadium and main housing development.

If true, this is interesting as the NDP would be bigger than we have thought so far. Are there other 'satellites'? There is no indication that the 881, High Road satellite would be linked to the core housing development. Thus the opening date of 2015 for the permanent location of the free school at 881, High Road does not, therefore, say anything about the timetable for the main development including the stadium.

Maybe this is reading too much between the lines, but I wonder how the development of 881, High Road will be financed? And does this finance have any links to the financing of the main, core site...?
Buckle & pals no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4028
Loughtonspur
Loughton1981
 
Loughtonspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 206
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle & pals View Post
Jim,

If I read the article correctly, it looks as the school will be open for business from this autumn in temporary premises (something fatspur mentioned). Then 3 years later, in 2015, it will move to a permanent address at 881 High Road, which is between Seven Sisters tube and Bruce Grove. The article mentions that this is part of a 'housing development' in the NDP, but it would appear to be a 'satellite' site not on the core site of the supermarket, stadium and main housing development.

If true, this is interesting as the NDP would be bigger than we have thought so far. Are there other 'satellites'? There is no indication that the 881, High Road satellite would be linked to the core housing development. Thus the opening date of 2015 for the permanent location of the free school at 881, High Road does not, therefore, say anything about the timetable for the main development including the stadium.

Maybe this is reading too much between the lines, but I wonder how the development of 881, High Road will be financed? And does this finance have any links to the financing of the main, core site...?
You are right, 881 is further up the High Road but not between Seven Sisters and Bruce Grove it actually near Sainsbury's (THFC is 748 High Road, Sainsbury's is 867-869) but surely the reference to 881 High Road is just a typo or poor journalism in the article.

Unless they are redeveloping the Sainsbury's site once Sainsbury's move to the Northern development and 881 is part of this development????

Last edited by Loughtonspur; May 9th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Loughtonspur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #4029
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,145
Likes (Received): 1586

Exactly.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #4030
RMB2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,041
Likes (Received): 2626

I just hope that Spurs spend a few quid hiring some decent webcams when the stadium build starts.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4031
Loughtonspur
Loughton1981
 
Loughtonspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 206
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Exactly.
I've tweeted the journalist to see if he can confirm where 881 is and if it is correct.
Loughtonspur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #4032
Loughtonspur
Loughton1981
 
Loughtonspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 206
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loughtonspur View Post
I've tweeted the journalist to see if he can confirm where 881 is and if it is correct.
He say's 881 is where Brook House is currently.
Loughtonspur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4033
Buckle & pals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Le cittá invisibili
Posts: 364
Likes (Received): 65

http://www.e-act.org.uk/news/222/84/...chool-unveiled

Plan for new Haringey E-ACT Free School unveiled

May 8, 2012

E-ACT Free Schools Trust (EFST) has announced that, working closely with Highgate School and with the agreement of the Department for Education, an ideal location has been identified for a new Free School within the Brook House site at 881 High Road, Tottenham.

The Free School is the second backed by E-ACT Free Schools Trust to open in London. It will form part of a new mixed residential development, subject to planning permission, by Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and Newlon Housing Trust.

It is located within an area identified by Haringey Council as requiring a number of new primary places over the next few years. It is also in close proximity to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club's new stadium scheme and associated developments. The school will play a further part in the regeneration of north Tottenham by delivering additional new jobs into the local area.

The new school building will be ready for use in September 2015. In the meantime, to help meet the need for additional school places in September 2012, EFST has reached an agreement to open the Free School on part of the ground floor of the College of Haringey, Enfield and Northeast London’s (CONEL) Tottenham Green campus.

The facilities, located between the Bernie Grant Arts Centre and Tottenham Green Leisure Centre, were built in 1903 as a large school. With spacious, light and airy classrooms as well as secure outside play space, they are ideally suited to hosting pupils in Reception and Years 1 and 2 for the first three years. The Free School will be completely self-contained and will benefit from a close relationship with the College as it develops.

Haringey Council will administer the application process on behalf of E-ACT. Details will be available shortly on the admissions pages on the council’s website.

The school will initially provide two classes for 60 Reception pupils and two classes for 60 year 1 pupils. Places at the school will be offered using the same admissions criteria the council uses for community schools in Haringey.

Principal Designate, Sonia Mallick, who took up her post formally on 16th April, said, “I am excited to be working with EFST, Highgate School and alongside Spurs to create a new and purpose built school for the local community. It will be designed to deliver educational achievement and excellence for secure and happy children.”

Grant Cornwall, Chief Executive Officer of the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Foundation, stated, “We have a strong commitment to local schools in the neighbourhood and we look forward to welcoming and working closely with the Free School as part of that wider school family.”

Paul Head, the Principal and Chief Executive of CONEL, said, “The College’s Governing Body is committed to supporting regeneration projects in Haringey. We welcome the opportunity to assist both EFST and THFC in the long-term development of the area by hosting the Free School from September 2012.”

Further information about the proposed Free School can be found at www.proposedharingeye-actfreeschool.org where you can register your interest and access information on how to apply for a place.

Aldborough E-ACT Free School was the first free school to open in London backed by E-ACT Free Schools Trust, in September 2011.
Buckle & pals no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #4034
Loughtonspur
Loughton1981
 
Loughtonspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 206
Likes (Received): 16

Both good finds Buckle and RobH.

So incase there's any confusion, 881 is the industrial site immediately north of where Sainsbury's is now. If they are including Sainsbury's in this development, it'll be quite a sizeable site. Room for this school and plenty of appartments to help pay for the stadium!
Loughtonspur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4035
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,677
Likes (Received): 738

Okay....now I'm confused!

Which Sainsburys are you talking about? Because the only one I know is the small one a few hundred yards north of the stadium, on the east side of the High Road.

And Brook House (at 881 High Road) is, according to my google search, opposite the main police station and nearly one mile south of the stadium, on the west side of the High Road!

Assuming that I have the right address, it would seem that this development has little to do with the NDP after all.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #4036
Loughtonspur
Loughton1981
 
Loughtonspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 206
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Okay....now I'm confused!

Which Sainsburys are you talking about? Because the only one I know is the small one a few hundred yards north of the stadium, on the east side of the High Road.

And Brook House (at 881 High Road) is, according to my google search, opposite the main police station and nearly one mile south of the stadium, on the west side of the High Road!

Assuming that I have the right address, it would seem that this development has little to do with the NDP after all.
The Google search doesn't find the right place I tried that and I think Buckle must have had the same problem. If you zoom into the Sainsbury's just north of the ground then do streetmap and you'll see it says 881 on the wall.
Loughtonspur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #4037
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,677
Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loughtonspur View Post
The Google search doesn't find the right place I tried that and I think Buckle must have had the same problem. If you zoom into the Sainsbury's just north of the ground then do streetmap and you'll see it says 881 on the wall.
I'll take your word for it that 881 High Road is the Sainsburys!

But Brook House is opposite the police station, a mile or so south of the stadium.

So could the journo be wrong about the number (perhaps he got it from google too!)? Because everything else - including the new school's supposed proximity to the Bernie Grant Centre and Tottenham Green - seems to suggest that the Brook House site is where it will be.

So I'm still confused!
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #4038
Loughtonspur
Loughton1981
 
Loughtonspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 206
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I'll take your word for it that 881 High Road is the Sainsburys!

But Brook House is opposite the police station, a mile or so south of the stadium.

So could the journo be wrong about the number (perhaps he got it from google too!)? Because everything else - including the new school's supposed proximity to the Bernie Grant Centre and Tottenham Green - seems to suggest that the Brook House site is where it will be.

So I'm still confused!
Maybe it's a different Brook House (bit confusing). But the one next to Sainsbury's is owned by Cannon Automotive Ltd. Hope this helps.
Loughtonspur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #4039
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,677
Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loughtonspur View Post
Maybe it's a different Brook House (bit confusing). But the one next to Sainsbury's is owned by Cannon Automotive Ltd. Hope this helps.
Yep. That does seem more likely!
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4040
Buckle & pals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Le cittá invisibili
Posts: 364
Likes (Received): 65

Yes, I fed 881 High Road into google maps and got the same as Jim and assumed the temporary and the final address must be close to each other...

But all this is very interesting, no?

The NDP is already a larger project than we first envisaged.

Presumably Sainsbury's are more involved in the whole NDP than just the store on the stadium site?

What implications does all of this have for financing?

Given the commitment of THFC to the area in these different ways, are the authorities going to help with financing, not so much with more subsidy but with loans at preferential
rates?

Will the free school be more closely tied to Spurs and the academy at Bulls Cross, or could the free school have a Spurs-specific branch?

I'm already getting carried away...
Buckle & pals no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
england, soccer

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu