daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1041
shakeelahmadch

Likes (Received): 1561

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I never saw this coming. This is a nice little plane.
So much for a nice little plane. The exact same plane which was in Karachi is down with 50 people on board.

---

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1502347.html

JAKARTA, Indonesia — A new Russian-made passenger plane went missing over mountains in western Indonesia while on a demonstration flight Wednesday arranged for potential buyers. Fifty people were on board, including diplomats, businesspeople and journalists.

Search and rescue teams were deployed to the area just south of the capital, Jakarta, said Bambang Ervan, a spokesman for the Ministry of Transportation. He said more than 100 people were still searching the rugged, forested terrain after darkness fell. Bad weather, however, forced at least two helicopters to turn back.

The Sukhoi Superjet-100, Russia's first new passenger jet since the fall of the Soviet Union, took off from the Halim Perdanakusuma Airport at 2:21 p.m. (0721 GMT) for what was supposed to be a quick test flight – the second of the day.

It dropped off the radar just 21 minutes later, shortly after the crew asked air traffic control for permission to drop from 10,000 feet to 6,000 feet (3,000 meters to 1,800 meters), said Daryatmo, chief of the national search and rescue agency.

They didn't explain the change of course, which occurred near Salak mountain, a long-dormant volcano, he said. Though drizzling at the time, it was not stormy, and there was no obvious sign of distress.

Cellphones of those on board were either turned off or not active.

"I saw a big plane passing just over my house," Juanda, a villager who lives near the 7,200-foot (2,200-meter) mountain, told local station TVOne.

"It was veering a bit to one side, the engine roaring," he said. "It seemed to be heading toward Salak, but I didn't hear an explosion or anything."

Dozens of family members gathered at the airport, awaiting news about their loved ones. Many were crying. Some were clinging to young, sleepy children.

"My husband called this morning, saying he was going to be on the test flight," said Windy Prisilla. "He wanted me to meet him at the airport before they took off so we could have lunch together, but I told him I couldn't. I had to get the kids to school."

"All I can do now is pray to God. I want him back home safely," she said, barely able to speak.

Daryatmo, of the search and rescue agency, said soldiers, police and air force personnel were helping to look for the plane.

"Hopefully they'll be able to reach the location tonight," Daryatmo said, adding that helicopters were ready to return at daybreak if necessary.

The Superjet has been widely considered Russia's chance to regain a foothold in the international passenger plane market. The country's aerospace industry was badly undermined in the economic turmoil following the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

Developed by the civil aircraft division of Sukhoi – with the co-operation with Western partners – the 75- to 95-seat plane made its maiden voyage in 2008 and its inaugural commercial passenger flight in 2011.

With a relatively low price tag of around $35 million, it has been seen as a potential challenger to similar-sized jets from Canada's Bombardier Inc. and Brazil's Embraer SA.

Around 170 orders have already been placed worldwide, with Indonesia, a sprawling archipelagic nation of 240 million people, among the biggest potential customers.

Kartika Airlines – one of dozens of airlines that have popped up in Indonesia in the last decade to meet the growing demand for cheap air travel – had been planning to buy 30.

It was unclear if Wednesday's incident would change that.

Most appeared to be waiting to see whether the problem was mechanical or pilot error.

Among the 50 people on board the plane were potential buyers from several major local airlines. Reporters also filled seats as did several people from the Russian Embassy, said Daryatmo.

The plane was on the fourth stop of a six-nation "Welcome Asia!" road show after having already been to Myanmar, Pakistan and Kazakhstan. It was to head next to Laos and Vietnam.

___

Associated Press writer Jim Heintz in Moscow contributed to this report.
shakeelahmadch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1042
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Wednesday, May 09, 2012

KARACHI: The International Federation of Airline Pilots’ Association (IFALPA) - www.ifalpa.org - has expressed concerns over aviation safety in Pakistan and asked the president to establish an independent National Transportation Safety Board for thorough, scientific and unbiased investigations into air accidents, a statement said on Tuesday.

“There are concerns about the unhealthily close relationship between the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority and the operators (airlines); the lack of an independent National Transportation Safety Board; sanctions being taken against pilots reporting safety related incidents, poor Cockpit Resource Management (CRM) in some companies; and an overburdened Air Traffic Control system that is not just a concern to pilots within Pakistan, but also to those over flying,” said IFALPA in a letter to President Asif Ali Zardari.

Captain Don Wykof, President of IFALPA, stressed that the federation was concerned over some aspects relating to aviation safety that had been brought to their attention by the Pakistan Air Line Pilots’ Association (PALPA) - www.palpa.org.pk - which is a member association in your country.

These concerns stem from the recent incidents and accidents in Pakistan including the Air Blue accident in 2010 and the most recent accident of Bhoja Air, reasoned IFALPA, which represents more than 100,000 professional pilots in more than 100 countries worldwide and is also one of the few organisations that enjoy the status of an ‘observer’ at the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) - www.icao.int.

Since IFALPA is currently meeting at its annual conference in Paris, President IFALPA said, “this has given us the opportunity to discuss with the PALPA representatives their concerns about situation in Pakistan; these concerns are multifaceted, and seem to stem from the corrective measures identified as being necessary following the Air Blue accident not being fully implemented”.

Against this background, the IFALPA asked the government of Pakistan to consider implementing some measures that include the establishment, with representation from PALPA and the Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) Guild - www.patcg.net - , of an independent National Transportation Safety Board, responsible for investigating incidents and accidents; and for implementing any corrective action that is necessary.

Moreover, CAA Pakistan be made autonomous and financially and administratively independent body, and not staffed in some key positions by people seconded from the airlines; and the Safety Management Systems implemented by the operators in Pakistan should comply with the ICAO recommendations, particularly with regard to non punitive reporting.

Also, IFALPA asked the government of Pakistan to encourage the establishment of organised pilot groups in all Pakistani airlines as this will enable the pilots to contribute to the establishment of a robust safety culture in their company helped by the extensive expertise in areas such as CRM they can access through IFALPA. “I am sure that we share a common goal in seeing Pakistan achieving the highest levels of aviation safety; we know that PALPA also share this goal and are fully prepared to engage with the regulator and the operators to move forward in this vital area,” IFALPA president said.

Source: The News
Thank you Zardari.
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1043
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

BTW, I have asked my family to ONLY fly PIA and only on the 777. They are the newest planes in Pakistan and both fly to Lahore and Islamabad from Karachi.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1044
PIA777

Likes (Received): 3314

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeelahmadch View Post
So much for a nice little plane. The exact same plane which was in Karachi is down with 50 people on board.

---

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1502347.html

JAKARTA, Indonesia — A new Russian-made passenger plane went missing over mountains in western Indonesia while on a demonstration flight Wednesday arranged for potential buyers. Fifty people were on board, including diplomats, businesspeople and journalists.

Search and rescue teams were deployed to the area just south of the capital, Jakarta, said Bambang Ervan, a spokesman for the Ministry of Transportation. He said more than 100 people were still searching the rugged, forested terrain after darkness fell. Bad weather, however, forced at least two helicopters to turn back.

The Sukhoi Superjet-100, Russia's first new passenger jet since the fall of the Soviet Union, took off from the Halim Perdanakusuma Airport at 2:21 p.m. (0721 GMT) for what was supposed to be a quick test flight – the second of the day.

It dropped off the radar just 21 minutes later, shortly after the crew asked air traffic control for permission to drop from 10,000 feet to 6,000 feet (3,000 meters to 1,800 meters), said Daryatmo, chief of the national search and rescue agency.

They didn't explain the change of course, which occurred near Salak mountain, a long-dormant volcano, he said. Though drizzling at the time, it was not stormy, and there was no obvious sign of distress.

Cellphones of those on board were either turned off or not active.

"I saw a big plane passing just over my house," Juanda, a villager who lives near the 7,200-foot (2,200-meter) mountain, told local station TVOne.

"It was veering a bit to one side, the engine roaring," he said. "It seemed to be heading toward Salak, but I didn't hear an explosion or anything."

Dozens of family members gathered at the airport, awaiting news about their loved ones. Many were crying. Some were clinging to young, sleepy children.

"My husband called this morning, saying he was going to be on the test flight," said Windy Prisilla. "He wanted me to meet him at the airport before they took off so we could have lunch together, but I told him I couldn't. I had to get the kids to school."

"All I can do now is pray to God. I want him back home safely," she said, barely able to speak.

Daryatmo, of the search and rescue agency, said soldiers, police and air force personnel were helping to look for the plane.

"Hopefully they'll be able to reach the location tonight," Daryatmo said, adding that helicopters were ready to return at daybreak if necessary.

The Superjet has been widely considered Russia's chance to regain a foothold in the international passenger plane market. The country's aerospace industry was badly undermined in the economic turmoil following the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

Developed by the civil aircraft division of Sukhoi – with the co-operation with Western partners – the 75- to 95-seat plane made its maiden voyage in 2008 and its inaugural commercial passenger flight in 2011.

With a relatively low price tag of around $35 million, it has been seen as a potential challenger to similar-sized jets from Canada's Bombardier Inc. and Brazil's Embraer SA.

Around 170 orders have already been placed worldwide, with Indonesia, a sprawling archipelagic nation of 240 million people, among the biggest potential customers.

Kartika Airlines – one of dozens of airlines that have popped up in Indonesia in the last decade to meet the growing demand for cheap air travel – had been planning to buy 30.

It was unclear if Wednesday's incident would change that.

Most appeared to be waiting to see whether the problem was mechanical or pilot error.

Among the 50 people on board the plane were potential buyers from several major local airlines. Reporters also filled seats as did several people from the Russian Embassy, said Daryatmo.

The plane was on the fourth stop of a six-nation "Welcome Asia!" road show after having already been to Myanmar, Pakistan and Kazakhstan. It was to head next to Laos and Vietnam.

___

Associated Press writer Jim Heintz in Moscow contributed to this report.
it was a different plane and a320 had a rough start too but it is still the best narrow body jet
PIA777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #1045
shakeelahmadch

it was same I believe. Check the last few lines which says it was in Karachi.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1046
PAKONE

Likes (Received): 195

They should have set up a body since the 2006 PIA Fokker crash.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1047
smfarazm..
Pakistan Zindabaad!

Likes (Received): 14734

The Crashed Sukhoi Superjet-100 demonstrator sits at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in Jakarta before takeoff Wednesday. Ten Sky employees were onboard.

smfarazm.. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1048
KB

Likes (Received): 4362

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeelahmadch View Post
it was same I believe. Check the last few lines which says it was in Karachi.
I believe they are different planes.

One came for a road show and the other (the one that crashed) only made a technical stop-over at karachi.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1049
KB

Bid to hush up mid-air near miss

By Bhagwandas | 5/15/2012 12:00:00 AM

KARACHI, May 14: A massive cover-up operation has been launched to pushunder the rug a serious air safety issue involving two PIA airplanes flying out from the country`s biggest airport that came dangerously close to each other and were in a near miss situation, it emerged on Monday.

According to highly placed sources, the mid-air collision was averted by seconds when a pilot of one of the aircraft turned away.

Although the incident was confirmed by the pilots` representative body as well as air traffic controllers, who apparently were at fault, the Pakistan International Airlines and the Civil Aviation Authority expressed ignorance about it. One of the pilots involved in the incident termed it an `internal matter` and refused to comment on it.

The sources said that the PIA and the CAA, at present headed by a PIA pilot, joined hands to coverup theissue so that the country`s air safety standards were not exposed.

They said that a high-level inquiry into the incident should be instituted to know the facts and to ensure air safety by taking necessary steps.

The sources said that on Thursday a Multan-bound PIA flight (PK-550), using an ATR aircraft (registration No AP-BHI), flew from the Jinnah International Airport and soon it was followed by another PIA flight (PK-306) going to Lahore, using a Boeing-747 (registration No AP BFV).They said as Boeing was a relatively bigger and faster aircraft it soon caught up with the smaller ATR aircraft and when both the aircraft were roughly 25 nautical miles away northeast of Karachi they came very close to each other.

The ATR was flying at an altitude of around 14,000 feet while the Boeing-747 was flying at around 13,700 feet and there was a height difference of about a mere 300 feet, which was very close since the safe height difference between two aircraft was said to be at least 1,000 feet, the sources added.

They said the distance between the two aircraft was also around four miles, whereas the least safe distance was said to be at least five miles. Luckily, the pilot of the B-747 saw the smaller aircraft so close and immediately turned left to avoid a possible collision.

Sources in the air traffic control confirmed the incident on the condition of anonymity.

They said while they were not trying to justify the near miss the real reason was that the air traffic controllers were overburdened with work and that they had been working with obsolete equipment. It was sheer luck that this near miss did not turn into a mid-air collision, they added.

They said the pilot of the ATR aircraft, Capt Humayoon Wahid, had filed a report of the incident with the CAA.

They said that a few daysback a similar near miss incident had occurred near Lahore butit had gone unreported.

Responding to Dawn queries, Pakistan Airlines Pilots Association chief Sohail Baloch said that he was aware of the near miss incident.

He said that not only Palpa, but the international organisation of pilots had also expressed concern over the working conditions of the air traffic controllers, and the obsolete equipment.

He suggested that rather than taking stern action against the controllers at fault, non-punitive reporting culture be promoted so that people did not fear any action and reported the issue so that it was highlighted and eventually solved and as a result the air travel became safer.

Mr Wahid, the ATR aircraft pilot, termed it an internal matter of the organisation and suggested that the PIA be contacted on the issue.

PIA media adviser Tahir Khalique said that no such incident could occur, as the ATR flew at a lesser height whereas B-747 flew at a higher altitude.

CAA spokesperson Pervez George told Dawn that no such incident had occurred.

However, when he was informed that the report of at least one of the pilots had also been sent to the CAA, he said if any such report came to the CAA an inquiry would be instituted and stern action would be taken if anyone was found involved in it.

Source: DAWN
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1050
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Balle balle! And wasn't there a protest by the controllers in Karachi a month ago?
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #1051
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad
Sapphire

Likes (Received): 5294

‘Tajik Air to start flights to Islamabad from June’

Tajik Air, the national flag carrier of Tajikistan, is all set to start its flight operations between Dushanbe and Islamabad from June, while Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) would also fly between Lahore and Dushanbe, the date of which is yet to be finalised, said an official of Tajikistan.

Tajikistan is also in the process of starting issuing business and tourist visas to people of Pakistan from Karachi in the near future, he added.

“Tajik Air would start flying between Dushanbe and Islamabad from next June,” said Irshad Kasim, honorary consul general of Tajikistan, while quoting ambassador of Tajikistan to Pakistan, Dr Zubaydullo N Zubaydov.

Earlier, Zubaydov held a meeting with the officials of the Trade Development Authority of Pakistan (TDAP) recently along with the honorary consul general and informed them about the latest plan of Tajik Air operations.

The envoy also discussed matters related to economic, business and trade ties between the two countries.

“Tajik Air has acquired Civil Aviation licence and proper track route to fly between the two countries,” he said, adding, “The airline will operate two flights a week from June, in the first phase, and will add Karachi and Lahore to its operation at a later stage.”

The two airlines would start flying to their new destinations in the aftermath of an understanding reached between President Asif Ali Zardari and his Tajik counterpart Imam Ali Rehmon in March, he said.

“Dr Zubaydov also informed the TDAP to extend full-fledged status to the Consulate General of Tajikistan in Karachi and to start issuing visas to the businessmen, as well as to the tourists very soon.”

“Initially, a visa councilor will be posted in Karachi and more staff would be added later on depending upon the volume of visa applications flowing in at the Consulate,” he said, quoting the Tajik envoy.

Tajikistan has also appointed honorary consul generals in Lahore and Peshawar after Karachi, Kasim quoted Zubaydov.

He announced to form Pakistan-Tajikistan Business Forum (PTBF) soon with an aim to boost bilateral trade and brotherly relations between the two countries and spearheading the Karachi Consulate.

The work is also in progress to set up a display centre of Tajikistan in Karachi for the introduction and promotion of Tajik products in Pakistan, he said, adding that the display centre would be a one room trading centre that would be extended further at a later stage.

Moreover, tripartite negotiations between Tajikistan, Pakistan and Afghanistan are going on for the transit trade agreement and construction of road linking Pakistan with Tajikistan through Wakhan, Afghanistan, he said.

As a follow up of a big trade delegation from Pakistan to Tajikistan arranged by the TDAP with the coordination of Tajik Embassy in Islamabad last year, the National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) had already opened up its branch in Dushanbe and banking channel has been established, he said, adding that President Zardari and President Rehmon jointly inaugurated the NBP’s branch in Dushanbe during Zardari’s visit in March to attend Tajikistan’s 20th Independence Day celebrations and Nauroze.

Zubaydov said that Tajikistan is in the state of rebuilding after seven years of civil war. The country has, however, become politically and economically very stable under the leadership of President Rehmon.

He invited Pakistanis to visit Tajikistan for business, tourism, as well as Ziarat (visiting) of famous Saint Syed Ali Hamadani (RA) in Kulab.

He invited opening up a Pakistani restaurant in Tajikistan and offered business visa in this regard too. Cooperation in the field of textile manufacturing in Tajikistan is yielding visible results, he said, adding that a working group of the ministry of industries of Pakistan has traveled to Tajikistan in July 2011 for deliberation on the allocation of investment in the construction of the cement plant.
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1052
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 7354

It is going to take another air disaster for any of the CAA high ups to face the threat of being fired. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

twitter
brightside. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1053
PAKONE

Quote:
I believe they are different planes.

One came for a road show and the other (the one that crashed) only made a technical stop-over at karachi.
Correct. They are different aircraft.
Old May 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1054
PAKONE

For the full airline report check out my travel blog! (link in the signature)

Old May 26th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1055
KB

The final crash report on PIA Fokker-27 that crashed in Multan in 2006 is out. A turning point in our aviation history that such reports are being put online?

Check the link for Pdf version of the report (along with that of Airblue that crashed into the Margalla hills, 2010)
http://caapakistan.com.pk/investigation.aspx
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #1056
shakeelahmadch

Quote:
The final crash report on PIA Fokker-27 that crashed in Multan in 2006 is out. A turning point in our aviation history that such reports are being put online?

Check the link for Pdf version of the report (along with that of Airblue that crashed into the Margalla hills, 2010)
http://caapakistan.com.pk/investigation.aspx
Thanks for sharing. If you read the report, it clearly points out what was wrong even before the flight in Multan went down. There was no person convicted or anything - pretty sad.
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1057
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad
Sapphire

Likes (Received): 5294

Defence Ministry suspends Bhoja Air operations

CAA says operations suspended till Bhoja Air acquires at least three aircrafts for domestic operations.

The Defence Ministry on Tuesday suspended flights of Bhoja Air, a little over a month after one of its passenger planes crashed near Islamabad, killing all 127 people on board.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said that the airline had been reduced to just one aircraft, below the minimum requirement, after one of its remaining two planes developed a fault. The Defence Ministry ordered a halt to operations.

“Bhoja Air’s operations have been suspended until it acquires at least three aircrafts for domestic operations,” CAA spokesman Pervez George told AFP. Nobody from the airline was immediately available to comment.

A Bhoja Air Boeing 737 came down in fields near Islamabad on April 20 killing all 127 people on board.

In July 2010 an Airbus jet operated by Airblue crashed into the Margalla hills overlooking Islamabad while coming in to land after a flight from Karachi, killing 152 people in the worst air disaster ever on Pakistani soil.
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1058
PIA777

Likes (Received): 3314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Rashid Ahmad View Post
Defence Ministry suspends Bhoja Air operations

CAA says operations suspended till Bhoja Air acquires at least three aircrafts for domestic operations.

The Defence Ministry on Tuesday suspended flights of Bhoja Air, a little over a month after one of its passenger planes crashed near Islamabad, killing all 127 people on board.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said that the airline had been reduced to just one aircraft, below the minimum requirement, after one of its remaining two planes developed a fault. The Defence Ministry ordered a halt to operations.

“Bhoja Air’s operations have been suspended until it acquires at least three aircrafts for domestic operations,” CAA spokesman Pervez George told AFP. Nobody from the airline was immediately available to comment.

A Bhoja Air Boeing 737 came down in fields near Islamabad on April 20 killing all 127 people on board.

In July 2010 an Airbus jet operated by Airblue crashed into the Margalla hills overlooking Islamabad while coming in to land after a flight from Karachi, killing 152 people in the worst air disaster ever on Pakistani soil.
it will be back by 10th of june with a few more planes, the reason why they cancelled the license is that bhoja only operated 1 plane after the crash and under CAA's rule, an airline can start operations only when it has 3+ planes
PIA777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1059
JIAP

Likes (Received): 204

Dont they have 3 planes already a DC-9,a 737-200 and a 737-400.
JIAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1060
Dallas1

Likes (Received): 699

DC-9 out for maintenance
Dallas1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: