daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
thebig C

Likes (Received): 135

High-rise, low-rise, modern, historic!!!!!????

Hey Gang

Apologies for not starting this thread a little sooner, but I've just been a bit stressed of late and sadly my interest in Dublin much like my interest in current affairs just adds to my sense of frustration! Anywho, I'm in a good humour this morning and have some free time so I thought this was an opportune moment to start this thread.

As many of you are aware, due to the nature of "planning" in Dublin and indeed the entire Country, frequently threads go horrendously off topic as posters scratch their proverbial heads and try to make any sense of An Bord Pleanalas decisions. Whilst these tangents are not condusive to remaining strictly on topic they frequently raise very cojent points and make enlightened insights into where we are headed as a City and where we erred in the past!

As a direct result of some great posts on the Childrens hospital thread, which will no doubt be raised again on the DIT thread, I decided that it might be a good idea to have a general thread were we can kick around ideas about planning in general and vent frustration regarding all too frequent bizarre decisions.

AS the title suggests this is an all inclusive zone and in addition to discussing new and proposed development it might be a good idea if we also debate Dublins historic fabric. Georgian Dublin is often used as a battering ram to demolish any new project that shows vision or scale, however, those of us who are interested in Dublin can attest that large swathes of this supposedly valued history is falling down around us with nothing done by way of protection.

Very often in the media the choice is presented as being black and white. Either you are pro-development and want to demolish every historic building or you are anti development and want to oppose every new development and turn Dublin into a museum. For most of us the truth is very different. If you truely love the built environment of Dublin and indeed Ireland you value the past but also want to enbrace the future in the same way that those pioneers The Wide Streets Commissioners did in the 1700s.

What say ye.........
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #2
JD47

Likes (Received): 191

Great thread to start up C

Now we can have a thread dedicated to us ranting on about everything thats wrong with this city and how much we disagree with ABP and those other fools who's name I wont mention. Great.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #3
thebig C

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Great thread to start up C

Now we can have a thread dedicated to us ranting on about everything thats wrong with this city and how much we disagree with ABP and those other fools who's name I wont mention. Great.
Thats what its here for!!
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: