daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM   #201
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 49

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...walk21.article

City solicits designs for riverwalk, lacks money to build
July 21, 2009

BY FRAN SPIELMAN

Now that Chicago has filled in the "missing links" in the Wacker Drive riverwalk, it's time to design the rest -- even though the city still doesn't have the money to build it.

The Daley administration has issued a "request for proposals" from firms interested in designing the final phase of the San Antonio-style riverwalk -- the six-block stretch between State and Lake streets.
spyguy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #202
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 848

Short youtube video on the River Walk. No new info though.

Chicago Riverwalk

Chicago_Riverwalk

-young middle-class lad or lass who feels elated by thinking that he or she has covered all aspects of politics and religion with the help of a few lectures by a certified conspiracy crank or by watching a straight-to-YouTube ‘documentary’. - Nadeem F. Paracha

Its the buddhist in you, it's the pagan in me. Its the muslim in him, she's catholic aint she? Its the born again look it's the wasp and the jew Tell me what's goin on, I aint gotta clue - Jimmy Buffett
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #203
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

^ Thanks for finding those
It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.
The Urban Politician no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #204
Remy_Bork

Likes (Received): 0

Does anybody know if more of those open arches will be turned into storefronts? Some look pretty shallow for that purpose, but it looks like the ones on that ramp above the restaurant might be put to some purpose.
Remy_Bork no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #205
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

You are right. Some look like they would be a very tight squeeze for any kind of restaurant or store. Still I hope they find some excuse to enclose any that don't have the room and put some lightening or display in them because an empty hole looking out in on Lower Wacker doesn't exactly project tranquillity.
-young middle-class lad or lass who feels elated by thinking that he or she has covered all aspects of politics and religion with the help of a few lectures by a certified conspiracy crank or by watching a straight-to-YouTube ‘documentary’. - Nadeem F. Paracha

Its the buddhist in you, it's the pagan in me. Its the muslim in him, she's catholic aint she? Its the born again look it's the wasp and the jew Tell me what's goin on, I aint gotta clue - Jimmy Buffett
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #206
spyguy
Expert

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=12265

SOM's designs for a revamped public space in the Windy City

This plan also includes conceptual designs for a new focal point feature, activity space and green amenity at the river confluence, a new public market under Wacker Drive and new pedestrian bridge to link both sides of the river east of Columbus Drive.

spyguy no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #207
In the Loop

One word - 'Wow'

It is so desperately needed and anything is an improvement. The pubic market sounds intriguing...

Spyguy- thanks for the the info.
In the Loop no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #208
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Is this anything for real? Or is SOM just flexing its urban design muscles for its own sake?
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #209
ChicagoismynewBlog

Even if they're just flexing their design muscles, I still say thank you for doing it...haha. This looks awesome!

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #210
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Loop View Post
One word - 'Wow'

It is so desperately needed and anything is an improvement. The pubic market sounds intriguing...

Spyguy- thanks for the the info.
Lol do you mean public haha
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #211
spyguy
Expert

Chicago Riverwalk Main Branch Framework Plan - SOM (***PDF***)

Market District

New pedestrian bridge

spyguy no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #212
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 1

I know they're redoing Wacker right now, are these plans going to be implemented along with that?
nicksplace27 no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #213
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

is that SOM plan a vision or is that actually what they're using going forward for the river walk work?
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #214
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 3

Mere ideas.
Mr Downtown no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #215
spyguy
Expert

ardecila on SSP posted this image of a bike station next to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

North Loop riverwalk plan moves ahead (***PDF***)

Mayor Richard M. Daley's vision for a continuous walkway along the Chicago River took a step forward today with the City Council's approval to finance its design and engineering along the Main Branch.

The $3.2 million measure will create a plan for new open spaces, overlooks, underbridge connections and walkways along the river's south bank between State and Lake streets.

"The Chicago River is a natural extension of the city's lakefront and the riverwalk will enable more residents, workers and visitors to enjoy it as a natural resource," Mayor Daley said.

Last year, the first phase of the riverwalk opened below the Michigan Avenue and State Street bridges. Its extension to Lake Street will run below five additional bridges, making it possible to walk from Lake Michigan to the western edge of Chicago's Loop without interruption.

Design work will be paid with Open Space Impact Fees. Total construction cost is estimated at $55 million. Expected to include state and federal sources, the construction funds could be fully identified by the time design work is completed, possibly next year. Development would start some time after that.
---

So if this is being extended all the way to Lake Street they'll have to address the issue of what to do in front of 333 W Wacker. All of the previous concepts envisioned some kind of signature building at that intersection.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #216
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Awesome news. Sometimes I worry that in an economy like this that this type of project may get pushed to the side.

Old September 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #217
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,602610.story

City to build 4 boathouses on Chicago River

Emanuel announces plans for facilities on north and south branches

By Michael Hawthorne, Tribune reporter

September 20, 2011

For the last 11 years, Ryan Chew has been one of a handful of entrepreneurs and enthusiasts who set up kayak liveries along the Chicago River — a business once unthinkable for a waterway turned into a sewage canal.

Chew's Chicago River Canoe and Kayak has drawn thousands of people willing to dip a paddle into an urban waterway that was reversed away from Lake Michigan more than a century ago to separate the city's waste from its source of drinking water. Today it's not uncommon to see clusters of kayaks meandering past downtown skyscrapers and navigating through tree-lined stretches on the North Side...........

Now the city of Chicago is getting into the act, joining a slow-but-steady movement to increase access to the river and build support to improve water quality. Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced Monday that four new boathouses will be built along the waterway that will feature kayak rentals and storage as well as concessions, similar to gathering spots along Lake Michigan.

In a sign of how attitudes about the river have changed, one of the structures will be located at a new park along Bubbly Creek, a particularly nasty stretch on the western edge of Bridgeport where offal and carcasses from the Union Stockyards were dumped for more than a century.

Bubbles still rise up from benthic gunk caked on the bottom, but the mostly straight channel has become a popular practice spot for high school and college rowing teams.

The other boathouses — built for an estimated $4 million each with equal shares of city funds and private donations — will go up in Ping Tom Park in Chinatown, Clark Park in North Center and River Park in Ravenswood.........MORE

Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM   #218
Stretch

Any updates on the public market under Wacker, or has that been scrapped?
Stretch no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM   #219
mfairy

Nice to read that there are developments like this..Hope those areas would keep having a progress..
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #220
urbanaturalist

Likes (Received): 5

damn...that looks awesome....can't believe I've never heard of this......I know if LA ever decides de-concrete its L.A. River it could be quite an interesting piece of parkland, trails as well........ of course no more cars driving down the river in a Hollywood production would be sad too......
urbanaturalist no está en línea