search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:19 PM   #7921
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1074

Finally! Great to hear. (Edit -- referring to Moochie's post two above about the Bank One Ops situation.) I always felt kind of bad for the unsuspecting out of town guests staying at the La Quinta hotel across the street from that boarded-up mess of an abandoned building. Pretty much all of the other downtown hotels are in relatively nice areas - yet the La Quinta makes you feel like you are staying across the street from a bombed out ghetto in Baghdad. It'll be an 800% improvement to see this mess turned into 250+ higher end apartments.

Great to hear about the Neurosciences Project continuing to move ahead as well!

Last edited by GarfieldPark; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added a few comments
GarfieldPark no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #7922
GarfieldPark

The Mozza project on Virginia Avenue seems to be moving along as well. Since the BMV building was torn down, the site has been completely leveled and graded and it now looks like they are beginning to dig the foundations / underground parking (or whatever is planned for the lower level).
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #7923
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 432

For fun, here's a possible People Mover extension proposed in the recently updated IU/IU Health Master Plan:

Here's another one proposed about a decade ago when Biocrossroads first got started:

Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #7924
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 340

I just recall that particular suicide because it was quite dramatic, and I had gotten an eyewitness account in regards to it.
vitamin R no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:38 PM   #7925
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 340

No way I'd walk the Golden Gate, too cold!! I froze to death in San Francisco and was ready to go back to Seattle. Of course, I later found out July is not the best month to visit SF.
vitamin R no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #7926
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

The People Mover route would become useful if IU health tore it down, put electrical light rail or streetcar in its place, and expanded.
More efficient.
More reliable.
More accessible.

Just my humble opinion of course. ;-)
cailes no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7927
GarfieldPark

Last time I was there (San Francisco) it was late September and the high temps were in the mid 80's. Very nice time to go.

Last edited by GarfieldPark; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:15 PM   #7928
GarfieldPark

First stage of $85M downtown project up for approval

(I'll post this under the "Block 400" thread as well.)

The first stage of a major $85 million downtown project anchored by a Marsh grocery store is up for consideration by the city on Thursday.

Indianapolis’ Regional Center Hearing Examiner is set to hear a request by local developer Flaherty & Collins Properties to build a five-story parking garage at the northwest corner of New York Street and Capitol Avenue.

The project, announced in January, calls for 487 apartments, the Marsh grocery store, the parking garage and additional retail space on properties bounded by Michigan Street, Capitol Avenue, Vermont Street and Indiana Avenue.

Overall, the project would replace a block and a half of surface parking lots owned by locally based OneAmerica Financial Partners Inc., which uses them for employee parking.

http://www.ibj.com/first-stage-of--8.../article/34559
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #7929
CorrND
Moderator Chris

If anybody hasn't seen renderings, they're in the Regional Center Hearing Examiner staff report on p24-25. It's unbelievably monotonous. As generally well designed as Block 400 seems to be in early designs, it's mind boggling how atrocious this garage is.

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DMD/Pl...24-12rc_he.pdf

As bad as the Illinois facade is, I think I'm most disappointed that they don't have any retail on the Vermont frontage. Vermont is the most pedestrian-friendly street in the immediate area and that side will be very close to the residences at Block 400. Poor planning.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #7930
GarfieldPark

I agree entirely. I think the Regional Center review process should demand that the garage not even touch Vermont Street. They should modify the garage to be seven or eight stories and it should go no more than three fourths of the way along the Illinois street side of the block. The northern quarter of the block should be reserved for future residential. Vermont is one of the most important pedestrian / residential streets in the Mile Square. It links IUPUI and much of the canal housing straight through the near north part of downtown, crossing Mass Avenue and ending up in Lockerbie Square. A seven story, gray parking garage fronting the core of Vermont Street is an absolute non-starter.

In the Indianapolis Regional Center Design Guidelines - under section SC3: Parking, it says: "All structured parking fronting on public pedestrian ways shall have the grade level designed to accommodate active uses that generate pedestrian activity, such as retail shops, restaurants, business services and offices." Vermont Street is pretty much the definition of a prime public pedestrian way. In the RC Guidelines, the area where the garage is proposed is considered part of the "Entertainment - Mixed Use" (EMU) district. In the EMU, this "guideline" for first floor retail is actually a requirement. There are several other required treatments for parking garages in the EMU district that also need to be followed. The best treatment however would be to keep the garage away from Vermont Street entirely.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #7931
GarfieldPark

Another alternative for the garage might be just to re-align it along New York Street. If they have to have a garage that takes up a half of a city block - they should keep it on the half block that is away from Vermont Street. I don't see why this shift in the alignment of the structure couldn't work. Is anyone thinking about going to the regional center hearing to be held on Thursday? I think it is time that the regional center guidelines were called into account.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #7932
flavius

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
In the Indianapolis Regional Center Design Guidelines - under section SC3: Parking, it says: "All structured parking fronting on public pedestrian ways shall have the grade level designed to accommodate active uses that generate pedestrian activity, such as retail shops, restaurants, business services and offices."
This requirement is listed in the staff report as "Satisfied"
flavius no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7933
CorrND
Moderator Chris

A perfect comparison point for this garage is the Circle Center garage on the west side of Illinois between Georgia and Maryland. It's essentially the exact same footprint with the exact same height and incorporates space for 5 (FIVE!) ground floor restaurants.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #7934
GarfieldPark

On a brighter note --- I had been getting aggravated that the fountains on Monument Circle have not been turned on yet this year. I wasn't sure what the problem was -- but was annoyed since they were off all of last Summer while "Lady Victory" was being rehabbed. I couldn't figure out why - with a year and a half to get ready - they couldn't be ready to turn them on right away this year. Just as I was about to call the War Memorials Commission - I saw that the fountain pools were being painted today.

I didn't ask the workers when the fountains would be turned on - but, since they're painting the fountain basins - I figured they must be getting ready to finally turn them on. Assuming all of the pipes are in good shape -- hopefully the paint will be dry in a day or two and - if we're lucky - maybe we'll have water in our Circle Fountains once again by Memorial Day. That would definitely make me happy.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7935
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Am I missing something? Looking at those drawings, it appears that the first floor has glass windows except on Capitol. This suggests office or retail to me.

edit - every drawing except the Capitol view has "potential first floor retail" written on it. If they build this thing, with the captive clientele of 1000+ parkers, coffee shops, lunch restaurants and perhaps a convenience store would do very well there. and really, they just need to build the bare bones storefronts. It's such a strong location that a retail shouldn't have a problem doing the buildouts themselves.
It's a sly rendering that's made to look like those are windows at ground level. If you read the fine print describing the material in those openings, it says "Bronze Metal Screen in Dark Bronze Aluminum Framing System." And if you look at the siteplan, retail is only proposed on the corner of Illinois/New York. If you then flip to the facades, "Potential First Floor Retail" is only written on that corner, with arrows specifically delineated that TINY space.

Here's what an earlier (and apparently shorter) rendering showed:

I can't get past the fact the city is actually paying to build this shitty thing.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:28 AM   #7936
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
The People Mover route would become useful if IU health tore it down, put electrical light rail or streetcar in its place, and expanded.
More efficient.
More reliable.
More accessible.

Just my humble opinion of course. ;-)
Just making it more accessible would be a giant step.

I remember our last Downtown Development Walkabout, and that it required someone intimately familiar (cough*corrND*cough) with the IU Med School campus to find our way onto the People Mover.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:09 AM   #7937
GarfieldPark

Regarding the fountains near the C/C building, it looks like they are in the process of replacing the pipes and plumbing. Just today I noticed that there has been some new pvc pipe laid. I don't know how long it will take - but hopefully they will be back up and running before we are too far into Summer.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7938
GarfieldPark

If anybody wants to make public comments about the parking garage plans north of the One America Tower, the Regional Center planning committee is having its hearing for the project at 10:00 am this Thursday (tomorrow - May 24th). It will be held on the 18th floor of the City County Building. I'm not sure of the specific room number, but if you go into room 1821 off of the lobby, you can check with the people behind the desk there.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7939
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

If only I wasnt working.... *sigh*

At least I've thrown a fit about it. ;-)
http://www.urbanindy.com/2012/05/23/...llion-to-date/

Last edited by cailes; May 23rd, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
cailes no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM   #7940
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1200

Indianapolis parks not a priority, study says

Walking to the nearest public park isn't easy in Indianapolis, a new study notes, and it might take awhile.

Two-thirds of residents don't live within a half-mile of a city-owned park, about a 10-minute walk. That's a serious shortcoming, the study's authors say, that keeps the parks system from improving the city's quality of life and encouraging more physical activity.

And it's one reason Indianapolis ranked 36th out of the 40 largest U.S. cities in the annual ParkScore ranking, to be released today by the San Francisco-based Trust for Public Land. Indianapolis tied with Mesa, Ariz.

Full article here.

Interestingly, when you read down, the study doesn't include public-school fields and playgrounds, private (usually HOA) parks, the IMA (not sure if "100 Acres" is in or out of the count since it's a joint venture with IndyParks, but the rest of the IMA grounds are out), Crown Hill Cemetery, State Fairgrounds, Deaf School, Blind School, open space on the IUPUI, Marian, and U of I campuses, Holcomb Gardens at Butler, and private/charter school campuses. A big chunk of land that serves as de-facto "parks and open space" is excluded.

The downtown Canal, which is administered by DMD, wouldn't be in the count, nor would The Cultural Trail. Worse, the study excludes a major regional park (Fort Harrison State Park) because it's in Lawrence. That last one is just nuts, as people in the eastern tier of townships are far more likely to drive to the Fort than to Eagle Creek for biking and hiking and picnics.

The article also points out that the "parks budget" has gone down 22% since 2008 without pointing out that the maintenance and forestry functions that used to be housed in IndyParks have been moved to DPW, and that this might make city-to-city comparison difficult.

Look, I'm an advocate for accessible parks and Greenways/Trails, but I have some serious reservations with relying on bad data to make a point.

This post is somewhat risky, as it's based on my reading of a Star reporter's interpretation. I will try to download or link to the full study.
cdc guy no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis