search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #8381
vitamin R

Likes (Received): 337

Unfortunately, there may be complications to drawing water from the Ohio River due to the boundry between Kentucky and Indiana. The boundary between the states is the northern shore of the river, giving Kentucky control over what is done with the Ohio. Not too certain we could draw water without permission from KY. Of course with the Army Corps of Engineers in the mix, it may be that KY would have no say in the matter at all.
vitamin R no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #8382
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Exciting news about the Indystar bldg. I worked security there in '93/94. Ran security patrols in that place top to bottom. Got to know it's layout pretty well. I agree. They must be dealing with a lot of unused space. Why they didn't do this sooner is beyond me. I did not know that the building is an incorporation of a few. That would explain why it always seemed a bit "off" when traversing through the various offices of the place.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8383
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

Just walked by the Packard condos on Ohio St. and there's a bunch of construction workers removing the brick from the building. Anyone know what this is about? They had the entire East St. facade completely stripped of all masonry.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found it on the IBJ. Looks like they're replacing the outer skin due to leaks and damages from faulty construction. Hope Kosene enjoys swallowing that pill. Maybe next time just build a better building from the start.

Last edited by SkywlkrSnd; July 30th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
SkywlkrSnd no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #8384
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywlkrSnd View Post
Just walked by the Packard condos on Ohio St. and there's a bunch of construction workers removing the brick from the building. Anyone know what this is about? They had the entire East St. facade completely stripped of all masonry.
Noticed that a couple of weeks ago on the way to an event DT. Was that a Kosene project?
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8385
nickbeaver

Likes (Received): 75

The IBJ asked on facebook what we would like to see take the Star's building. So what would you like to see?

I would love to first see the building redesigned to be modern, have many windows, and be inspiring. The building would include a few condos, a good amount of office space, and ground floor retail. The anchor to the whole project would be either an AMC theater or a Broadway style theater. Being near Mass Ave, it would definitely do well with Broadway.

IBJ posted they would like to see a City Target go in there, I disagree. A City Target should go on the corner of Pennsylvania and Maryland. The Star's building seems just a tad too far out of the urban core.
nickbeaver no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8386
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

Seems like a good spot for more people to live.
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8387
flavius

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaver View Post
A City Target should go on the corner of Pennsylvania and Maryland.
I think a full Target should go on the MSA site. There are several full-service Targets in Chicago, with multiple floors above parking, that fit into a relatively small space, and one like these would be perfect. CityTarget is a great idea for much denser places than anywhere in Indianapolis, but any Target even in DT Indy will be serving mostly people who arrive by car to stock up their single-family houses.
flavius no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8388
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
Noticed that a couple of weeks ago on the way to an event DT. Was that a Kosene project?
Yup.
http://www.koseneandkosene.com/pastprojects.shtml
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #8389
arthur_indy

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaver View Post
The IBJ asked on facebook what we would like to see take the Star's building. So what would you like to see?
It should be leveled and start over. There is absolutely nothing historical left in any of the the buildings that make up the complex, in fact, the vast majority of the block was custom built to house printing operations. If it were feasible to be modernized and sold off in sections, the Star would have done that long ago. That being said, the site is prime for mixed use development bringing some serious vitality to that block of the city.
arthur_indy no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:36 AM   #8390
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur_indy View Post
It should be leveled and start over. There is absolutely nothing historical left in any of the the buildings that make up the complex, in fact, the vast majority of the block was custom built to house printing operations. If it were feasible to be modernized and sold off in sections, the Star would have done that long ago. That being said, the site is prime for mixed use development bringing some serious vitality to that block of the city.
Yikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:42 AM   #8391
AmericanDirt

Likes (Received): 3

I was over in Fountain Square over the weekend, just south of Morris/Prospect along Shelby, and I saw this building going up:

Anyone have any ideas what it's going to be? While it is in some ways significant for being what is likely the first real new construction on the Shelby corridor for decades, it seems to have fallen under the radar due to its size. Too bad. I'm not so crazy about the massing for what seems like a large parcel--too small to achieve the full potential of this excellent piece of land, yet big enough to prevent anything else from going up next to it at a later point.

Any ideas, or thoughts?

Last edited by AmericanDirt; July 31st, 2012 at 04:02 AM.
AmericanDirt no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:53 AM   #8392
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 923

That building has been under construction for about two or three months now. It doesn't seem like it has made much progress over the past few weeks though. We talked about it about a month or two ago in this thread. It is going to be three town houses. Most of us on this board agree it is a sad under-utilization of the site. The story that someone passed on to us was that the Southeast Neighborhood Development (SEND) community development organization applied for some funds to build a larger residential project - but unfortunately they didn't receive the full amount that they requested. Instead of turning the money down - they used it to build a smaller project. It seems like a nice three story project with about eight or nine units and a little bit of first floor retail would have been much better there. Unfortunately it was decided to move forward with the smaller project.

Last edited by GarfieldPark; July 31st, 2012 at 05:59 AM.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:50 AM   #8393
idyllic indy

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
That building has been under construction for about two or three months now. It doesn't seem like it has made much progress over the past few weeks though. We talked about it about a month or two ago in this thread. It is going to be three town houses. Most of us on this board agree it is a sad under-utilization of the site. The story that someone passed on to us was that the Southeast Neighborhood Development (SEND) community development organization applied for some funds to build a larger residential project - but unfortunately they didn't receive the full amount that they requested. Instead of turning the money down - they used it to build a smaller project. It seems like a nice three story project with about eight or nine units and a little bit of first floor retail would have been much better there. Unfortunately it was decided to move forward with the smaller project.
It wasn't that SEND didn't receive the amount of funding they applied for, it was that they didn't get the plans completed in time to meet the federal deadline for funding. They are actually now getting MORE federal money to fully fund the three little townhouses than what they requested for the mixed-use building with 16 apartments that would've been only partially subsidized.
idyllic indy no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:37 PM   #8394
cailes

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur_indy View Post
Seems like a tremendous waste of materials if it were to be mowed down...
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:34 PM   #8395
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 923

Idyllic Indy: "It wasn't that SEND didn't receive the amount of funding they applied for, it was that they didn't get the plans completed in time to meet the federal deadline for funding. They are actually now getting MORE federal money to fully fund the three little townhouses than what they requested for the mixed-use building with 16 apartments that would've been only partially subsidized."

Wow -- that makes the three little townhouses project seem even worse. Terrible. That site sure seems like it would have been so much better as a 16 unit apartment project as opposed to those townhouses that look so out of place. Too bad.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:07 PM   #8396
cailes

Funny how simply screwing with the timing messes something up...

In other news, some Pan Am Plaza news
http://www.ibj.com/revamped-pan-am-p.../article/35819
cailes no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:07 PM   #8397
DowntownIndianapolis
Community Activist

Likes (Received): 175

I personally had the honor of meeting Mayor Greg Ballard yesterday. we talked alot about economic development and i learned something about the CME group headquarter move flirting back in december. I met with Ballard in his conference room and ironically CME groups leaders met in that same office to discuss moving to Indianapolis. We were very close to getting them here. Ballard also told me he believes it wasnt a fake bid to get Illinois to cave in. Ballard said he believed that was a legit concern on moving. so later this year ill be meeting with the mayor and all i can say is well be talking about CME group again.
1700 high paying jobs directly from CME group paying 6 figure salaries or higher. hundreds of smaller companies that are tied to this exchange. That would move to Indianapolis with CME bringing their jobs too. HUGE tax revenue for the city. global power. putting Indianapolis on the world of the Financial markets and in the international arena. Ballard saw exactly what i saw. moving CME group to Indy would be like the colts moving to Indy again... only better. When i said that to him he laughed and agreed.
Illinois may of been able to *reduce* CME's tax burden but that may not last. so all i can say is keep our fingers crossed maybe Ballard can get the dice rolling for Indy to score something huge like that.

Maybe the Indianapolis Exchange Center will be built after all
only can keep our fingers crossed.

I will say i wont rest until CME group has their headquarters and electronic trading in Indianapolis
oh and Chicago can keep the trading pits.
DowntownIndianapolis no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #8398
IndyHar

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry if it has already been mentioned...but just saw a press release on this. I knew Chatham Tap owners have been interested in the old Agio space on Mass Ave for awhile now and there has been construction going on all summer at the space, here is the link for the planned restaurant/pub going in the space.
Glad also to see that they plan on removing the unwelcoming iron fence around the patio as well.
http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/d...tryID=10409017
IndyHar no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:21 PM   #8399
DowntownIndianapolis
Community Activist

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
CME moving to Indy would be a dream come true..

But seeing as CME has been in Chicago for 165 years, anchors Chicago's reputation as a global hub for risk management, and most importantly, accounts for 6% OF ALL CORPORATE TAXES COLLECTED IN ILLINOIS.... I can't help but see it as a pipe dream.. Chicago will do whatever it takes to keep them.

I'd see as a crazy best case scenario they move some part of their operation here. Which would be awesome.. but I'm not holding my breath. Pipe dream!
yes i know moochie. However the history doesnt matter much now that everything is electronic and they could keep the trading pits in Chicago. which i prefer they do anyway.

Regardless getting CME to Indy will be a very hard nut to crack. however its happened before for Indianapolis. Case and point the colts.
It wont be easy and it will come with risk. but the reward is priceless. the amount of money and power and the high paying jobs and companies that would move with CME group basically would transform Indianapolis overnight and lead to an explosion in the growth and prosperity of the city.

And thats what im hoping for too they could move their headquarters and electronic trading operations to Indy. keep the trading pits in Chicago
DowntownIndianapolis no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:30 PM   #8400
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

It's hard to see Ballard being able to outfox Rahm Emanuel.

Watching Rahm operate makes it clear how much Indy suffers from having a regular guy as mayor. Greg Ballard isn't a bad guy at all. However, Greg Ballard can't get Eric Schmidt on the phone and start conversations that get Google to move 3,000 high paid employees to your downtown. Rahm's economic development strategy - and it's doing pretty good - has been to leverage his Rolodex. Ballard doesn't even have one.

Daniels is pretty savvy from his years in Washington, with lots of connections and a national profile. (Much better than Pat Quinn). But Pence doesn't quite have the star power.

Tags
development, indianapolis