daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:47 AM   #101
Northsider

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Wow, reading through this thread is exactly why I hardly bother to visit SSC any more.
Dude chill. We go on forums to waste time and have fun. It's been YEEEAAARS since SCC has been anything but threads like this.

Last edited by Northsider; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:56 AM.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:18 AM   #102
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Dude chill. We go on forums to waste time and have fun. It's been YEEEAAARS since SCC has been anything but threads like this.
^ Speak for yourself.

That's not (usually) why I visit the forums. I guess that is the difference between SSC and SSP...
It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:51 AM   #103
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

Likes (Received): 1

Oh my gibblits "The Urban Politician,"chill your face >.< Is it really such big to you deal I got off topic? It's only normal for a conversation to be dynamic. I try to stay on topic but it's hard okay, maybe I'm not as devoted to architecture and urbanization as you are but it doesn't mean you have to be such woman about it and give a strong negative reaction to my posts. t(-_- t)
blakeaustin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:24 AM   #104
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I think what is more shameful is that people on these forums actually spend time trying to engage some of these idiots in an intelligent dialogue.

When I was 16 I was probably saying stupid things like this kid is too, so we can't blame him I guess. I really wish they had an age limit for these forums, though. I would like to know that I am speaking with a somewhat mature adult when I'm talking to someone. Then again, you can tell the teenie boppers apart just reading their posts...
Quote:
I would like to know that I am speaking with a somewhat mature adult when I'm talking to someone
Exactly, it seems like most of the posters on here now are kids. All I hear is NY needs mega talls, or NY needs to compete with Dubai...

Then there are people like Blake, who probably haven't been to NYC,LA, or Chicago, and bases his opinion off of media. I still don't know who would think that Chicago is boring. Maybe it's the great food, the great skyline, the great attractions, the incredible harbor ?
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:15 AM   #105
CincyBearcats

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Exactly, it seems like most of the posters on here now are kids. All I hear is NY needs mega talls, or NY needs to compete with Dubai...

Then there are people like Blake, who probably haven't been to NYC,LA, or Chicago, and bases his opinion off of media. I still don't know who would think that Chicago is boring. Maybe it's the great food, the great skyline, the great attractions, the incredible harbor ?
A world class lakefront, museums, etc...

I just ignore the posters. Even though they may be young and naive, it's really just their opinion and nothing more than that. Reading posts in the American Skylines thread about Miami's skyline being better than New York's is a good laugh, but not to be taken seriously. I do see the sentiment, though. It is quite annoying.
CincyBearcats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:51 AM   #106
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

I'm not stupid and am aware the media edits according to their biases and chooses what the audience will see, therefore I will never base my opinions off of media alone. Why does everybody here want to argue, everything I post gets such a reaction, am I the one being trolled here? btw youth are the future so maybe one day what i think will become reality. Ah yeah, get some! (x
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:11 AM   #107
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

I'm not stupid and am aware the media edits according to their biases and chooses what the audience will see, therefore I will never base my opinions off of media alone. Why does everybody here want to argue, everything I post gets such a reaction, am I the one being trolled here? btw youth are the future so maybe one day what i think will become reality. Ah yeah, get some! (x
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:15 AM   #108
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

Oh shiz! I just posted twice again, >.< it's hard to work this site from a playstation, sorry about that, my mistake!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:50 AM   #109
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Speak for yourself.

That's not (usually) why I visit the forums. I guess that is the difference between SSC and SSP...
Speak for myself? I've quoted you numerous times with the threads you've started saying how dumb and boring SSC is and how rad and awesome SSP is and how every member shits rainbows and puppies. Just cut the cord and be happy at SSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeaustin
Why does everybody here want to argue
This is the real issue with SSC. It's nothing but stupid arguing. I've accepted that and it's a nice time kill while at work, little else. When I want to argue with ignorants, I come here. That's what it's become. It'll never become the good ole days that The UP remembers, so I don't know why he bothers coming here and telling us we're all children. ...ohh, that's right, all SSP members shit rainbows and puppies.

This is at LEAST the 8th or 9th time he's posted how dumb and immature it is here. Well, post something useful or GTFO.

As for you, I don't know what to tell you. Saying Chicago is "boring" is simply laughable. Roller coasters and bright lights don't make a city.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:12 AM   #110
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

true dat ^ (:
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:15 AM   #111
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

People make a city, the skylines are just a plus. There are many cities in America that I like but I would never move to because I would have no family.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #112
nygirl

Likes (Received): 225

I see it this way, Chicago doesn't need to try and be like Vegas or Times Square or LA or anywhere. Chicago needs to be Chicago. Whats funny to me on an urban enthusiast web forum is why we don't ask why Vegas can't be more like Chicago.
Chicago doesn't need flash and pizazz to be spectacular its pretty well established as an urban gem exactly the way its grown, exactly the way it proudly stands today.
If you know me on these forums then you know I liken Chicago with New York City in that it doesn't need to compete or prove itself to anyone anymore.
I feel as if New York belongs to the world...its magnificent, an unabashed powerhouse but Chicago is the quintessential all-American city. Its a splendid combination of business and blue collar, roaring above our heads on elevated lines with a unique history, reborn and soaring to the sky...a mighty and triumphant city perched on a gorgeous lakefront...why the **** should it try and be a playground in the desert or flashy advertisements? It doesn't need it.

Again it is ABSOLUTE MADNESS how this question is not in reverse...
Chicago is perfect just the way it is. An illustrious and powerful American city we should be proud of, there is always room for improvement and it goes without saying that, that particular saying applied to any city but turning Michigan Avenue or State Street or Grant Park or anywhere in Chicagoland into a Times Square or Vegas Strip would be a downgrade. The strip fits Vegas because Vegas is a gambling oriented, tourist grabbing, flashy kind of place...Times Square fits New York because NY is a media king, while its hated by plenty its an iconic location, one that has changed faces so many times throughout its history. Chicago doesn't need it.

End of Story.
Nothing else needs to be said.
You guys can continue acting your ages elsewhere.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #113
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
I see it this way, Chicago doesn't need to try and be like Vegas or Times Square or LA or anywhere. Chicago needs to be Chicago. Whats funny to me on an urban enthusiast web forum is why we don't ask why Vegas can't be more like Chicago.
Chicago doesn't need flash and pizazz to be spectacular its pretty well established as an urban gem exactly the way its grown, exactly the way it proudly stands today.
That was my first thought when I saw the thread title...besides, Chicago is Chicago and has Chicago attraction - and that's what people love about it. Period.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #114
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
If you know me on these forums then you know I liken Chicago with New York City in that it doesn't need to compete or prove itself to anyone anymore.
I feel as if New York belongs to the world...its magnificent, an unabashed powerhouse but Chicago is the quintessential all-American city. Its a splendid combination of business and blue collar, roaring above our heads on elevated lines with a unique history, reborn and soaring to the sky...a mighty and triumphant city perched on a gorgeous lakefront...why the **** should it try and be a playground in the desert or flashy advertisements? It doesn't need it.

Again it is ABSOLUTE MADNESS how this question is not in reverse...
Chicago is perfect just the way it is. An illustrious and powerful American city we should be proud of, there is always room for improvement and it goes without saying that, that particular saying applied to any city but turning Michigan Avenue or State Street or Grant Park or anywhere in Chicagoland into a Times Square or Vegas Strip would be a downgrade. The strip fits Vegas because Vegas is a gambling oriented, tourist grabbing, flashy kind of place...Times Square fits New York because NY is a media king, while its hated by plenty its an iconic location, one that has changed faces so many times throughout its history. Chicago doesn't need it.

End of Story.
Nothing else needs to be said.
You guys can continue acting your ages elsewhere.
Exceptional post, you explained this perfectly. Chicago has the 3rd highest economic output in the world, it has a world class waterfront, some of the world's best architecture, some of the best restaurants and shopping in America, and some of America's most popular attractions such as Navy Pier, and the Sears Tower. There is also the Magnificent Mile, the beaches, the incredible art museums, and many more things I don't have the time to list. If anything, most cities should try to be like Chicago, including Las Vegas. Also, @ BlakeAustin, Chicago has an amusement park called Six Flags Great America.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #115
nygirl

Likes (Received): 225

....taste of chicago, lollapalooza, the air show....

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #116
goonsta
re

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeaustin View Post
Once you turn 21, you're going to look at anything that people under 21 do as lame. New Yorkers consider the idea of hanging out in Times Square Lame, and Los Angelinos consider the idea of hanging out in Hollywood/Highland lame. Being from Austin, you're used to 6th street, right? A city like Chicago has at least 10 times that many areas like that.

Like I said earlier, once you turn older, the idea of flashy is the bar/nightlife/music scene, and Chicago is easily top 3 in the country.
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #117
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Also if it were not for Chicago, house music would not exist (because Chicago is known as the birthplace of house music).

Food for thought.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #118
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Also if it were not for Chicago, house music would not exist (because Chicago is known as the birthplace of house music).

Food for thought.
How would we survive?

There are several things I associate with Chicago, but house music isn't one of them.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #119
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
There are several things I associate with Chicago, but house music isn't one of them.
I love old school house that grew out of Chicago, but I agree, I don't really associate it with Chicago. With the way hiphop/funk was evolving, house would have appeared somewhere at some point. I wouldn't say Chicago was crucial to its development. After all, it exploded in Europe and kind of fizzled here (unless you want to count the shitty detroit style house)
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #120
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 710

In the late 80's I was a big "Houser" kind of a groupie of Bad Boy Bill, who is now legendary in Europe.

I was at this battle of the Dj's. Watch the end.

His new stuff is very Euro

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false

Last edited by chicagogeorge; June 7th, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote