daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6181
BoldTeddy

Likes (Received): 31

That's very interesting. Are you familiar with how a very similar problem was solved at Molineux in the late 70s. Unfortunately we ran out of money and it took a further 15 years to complete 'the move'.

Last edited by BoldTeddy; May 24th, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
BoldTeddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #6182
macmanyoung

Likes (Received): 8

Saddens me to think that if Phase 2 was going ahead as originally planned, the Steve Bull would now be demolished...
macmanyoung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #6183
britwolfuk

Likes (Received): 3

What saddens me (more short term) is that, with nothing really going on inside the visible bit (to the WebCam) of the Stan Cullis Stand, if the bloody WebCam was working at least we'd be able to watch the pitch relaying (refurbishing) going on!
britwolfuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6184
gouldy

Likes (Received): 35

They've started digging up the pitch?!

...Damnit, so they have, according to the website!

Well this is going to look like shit on my timelapse In one frame there will be grass and in the next frame, 1/4 of a second later there will be earth/sand and no grass (If it ever comes back on, of course). GRRR! This webcam has been pretty terrible in its reliabilty throughout.
gouldy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6185
Paleo Wolf
Paleo Wolf

Likes (Received): 0

Amazing to look at that picture when the Marshall (Steve Bull) Stand was built. It towered over the old cow shed. Now the new Stan Cullis towers over the Steve Bull in the same way. The most astonishing statistic though is that they used to crowbar 55,000 people into the original stadium.
Paleo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #6186
macmanyoung

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo Wolf View Post
Amazing to look at that picture when the Marshall (Steve Bull) Stand was built. It towered over the old cow shed. Now the new Stan Cullis towers over the Steve Bull in the same way. The most astonishing statistic though is that they used to crowbar 55,000 people into the original stadium.
John Ireland Stand?
macmanyoung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6187
gouldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo Wolf View Post
The most astonishing statistic though is that they used to crowbar 55,000 people into the original stadium.
Even 60,000 at a push!

I suppose that's terracing vs seating, added to the fact that the South Bank was previously a pretty epic enclosure. I've seen old photos, but I doubt that compares to actually seeing the old South Bank as a full, heaving mass of people. Must have been quite an incredible sight.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6188
XanderJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldy

Even 60,000 at a push!

I suppose that's terracing vs seating, added to the fact that the South Bank was previously a pretty epic enclosure. I've seen old photos, but I doubt that compares to actually seeing the old South Bank as a full, heaving mass of people. Must have been quite an incredible sight.
Which is another reason having a stand identical to the Stan Cullis - but single tiered - would be great. A hark back to the times of old. Really hope they do this as that would be a truly great sight.
XanderJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #6189
Camvoyeur

Historically the Holte end was the largest kop end followed by the South Bank which alone had a capacity of 30,000 in it's heyday!

Last edited by Camvoyeur; May 24th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Camvoyeur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #6190
gouldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderJay View Post
Which is another reason having a stand identical to the Stan Cullis - but single tiered - would be great. A hark back to the times of old. Really hope they do this as that would be a truly great sight.

Quite right. As long as they did the transition from 2 tiers to 1 in a good way, because it can look very ugly, but on the other hand can be a nice feature of the stand in itself.

I'd love for the South Bank to be 1 tier, especially if it was that we could get the permission for those safe standing seats, like Villa may have done. I'm not sure either of those things will happen though, even though I really hope they both do. It would be such an awesome throwback to what once was - I'm just imagining little details like large images of the old old South Bank full of 30,000 people on the walls of the concourses. Things like that can really get people going.

We'll never again see images quite like the one Camvoyeur posted above, unfortunately; but a single tiered, 'safe-standing' stand, would be the closest thing we could acheive... everyone would love Morgan if he managed to wangle that
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #6191
Camvoyeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldy View Post
Quite right. As long as they did the transition from 2 tiers to 1 in a good way, because it can look very ugly, but on the other hand can be a nice feature of the stand in itself.

I'd love for the South Bank to be 1 tier, especially, especially if it was that we could get the permission for those safe standing seats, like Villa may have done. I'm not sure either of those things will happen though, even though I really hope they both do. It would be such an awesome throwback to what once was - I'm just imagining little details like large images of the old old South Bank full of 30,000 people on the walls of the concourses. Things like that can really get people going.

We'll never see images quite like the one Camvoyeur again, unfortunately, but a single tiered, 'safe-standing' stand, would be the closest thing we could acheive... everyone would love Morgan if he managed to wangle that
This is probably why we won't see those images again gouldy (as well as Hillsborough)-I'm old enough to have been in massive crowds in the SB and It wasn't pleasant! If the crowd was big enough the forward momentum didn't happen so much but if there was room for it you didn't want to be standing with a 'safety' barrier in front of you or you would be in serious trouble! The safest areas were just in front of the barriers.

Last edited by Camvoyeur; May 24th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #6192
gouldy

yeah, I understand why - a tragically unfortunate side effect - which is why I very much like the idea of this new 'safe-standing' from Europe, because it doesn't allow for any forward momentum or for events like Hillsborough.

Last edited by gouldy; May 24th, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6193
Camvoyeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldy View Post
yeah, I understand why - a tragically unfortunate side effect - which is why I very much like the idea of this new 'safe-standing' from Europe, because it doesn't allow for any forward momentum or for events like Hillsborough.
I'd have a safe standing spot out of preference if they ever came about! I hear they are going to us 'Hawk Eye' goal line technology when England play Belgium! The refs can't refer to it, so what's the point?

Last edited by Camvoyeur; May 24th, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #6194
gouldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camvoyeur View Post
I'd have a safe standing spot out of preference if they ever came about! I here they are going to us 'Hawk Eye' goal line technology when England play Belgium! The refs can't refer to it, so what's the point?
I heard about the use of Hawk Eye, but I wasn't aware that the refs weren't to be able to use it... genuinely what is the point of that? I hope it's just a stepping stone on to the full use of it, and they're just testing to see if it functions correctly.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #6195
Stuj4z

The 'rival' GoalRef system is being used over the weekend as well somewhere else.
The same though, purely testing, won't influence the game
Stuj4z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #6196
uplandswolf
uplandswolf

Quote:
This is probably why we won't see those images again gouldy (as well as Hillsborough)-I'm old enough to have been in massive crowds in the SB and It wasn't pleasant! If the crowd was big enough the forward momentum didn't happen so much but if there was room for it you didn't want to be standing with a 'safety' barrier in front of you or you would be in serious trouble! The safest areas were just in front of the barriers.
I also remember being in huge crowds on the South Bank. Great atmosphere, but a disaster waiting to happen! Really scarey at times, especially with the crowd surges down the terrace.
uplandswolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #6197
Camvoyeur

Those surges were surreal! You could end up going forward about 20 yards and back again and very rarely did anyone fall over- it was just a case of going with the flow so to speak. And if anyone had a spontanious piss ..............well that's another story
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #6198
uplandswolf
uplandswolf

Quote:
Those surges were surreal! You could end up going forward about 20 yards and back again and very rarely did anyone fall over- it was just a case of going with the flow so to speak. And if anyone had a spontanious piss ..............well that's another story
It was great fun as a youth, with no real thought of what could happen! - We were indestructible....Until Ibrox, Hillsborough and MANY OTHER close calls! Nowadays, as an old crumbly, I would not want my (grown up) lads to be in the same position. I would be scared for them every game. I like the idea of 'safe standing areas' - hopefully they would give us the best of both worlds!
uplandswolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #6199
gouldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandswolf View Post
I like the idea of 'safe standing areas' - hopefully they would give us the best of both worlds!
I really think they would! Every row is separated, so no forward momentum could ever develop from row to row, and everyone would have their own space to prevent overcrowding. Yet, at the same time, people can be much closer together than with seats, create a better atmosphere, fit more people into the stand just as safely as with seats.

In short, anyone who wants to sit through the game would have 3 whole stands to choose from, and anyone wishing to stand through the game would have the ability to do so. I perhaps need to investigate them further, but at the moment the 'safe standing areas' don't seem to be anything other than positive.

Last edited by gouldy; May 24th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #6200
wilko_wwfc

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/...-cullis-stand/

looks like no away fans in the stan cullis then. Permanantly in the steve bull lower by the sound of things
wilko_wwfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolverhampton