daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #4401
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monks View Post
Whilst I am no fan of the 'celebrity culture', I think you're way off the mark here. David Beckham is easily the United Kingdom's most recognisable sportsperson.
Nothing I've denied there. I just don't get why that matters. It's part of that celebrity culture you are apparently no fan of.

Quote:
He played for one of England's greatest professional sports teams for the best part of a decade...
If only you stopped there kid, if only... but do carry on.

Quote:
... and, during that time, managed to get his hands on every piece of silverware that was up-for-grabs. He is also one of only a few English football players to amass over 100 national caps
All of these things I agree with. No one is denying his contribution to sport, it however doesn't actually match the honours he gets is my point.

Quote:
, and, whether you like it or not, he has also represented English football when playing in the Spanish, Italian and American leagues.
Why would I not like this? I'm getting the feeling you haven't actually understood anything.

Quote:
He was also named in 2nd place in FIFA's World Player of the Year list on two occassions; his peers were the ones voting, not the 'shallow people' you share a passport with, I'll add.
These 'peers' you speak of include the national coaches of Tonga, the Maldives and Qatar. People who have probably never seen him play at the grounds. One of the many reasons FIFA's individual awards are not taken seriously by anyone who knows anything about football. Them taking over the serious award is a different story.

Quote:
With the afrorementioned in mind, I don't think a couple of pages in the celebrity sections of a few newspapers is quite enough to be given that sort of a career on a plate.
Where have I claimed his celebrity status gets him games/trophies etc? My complaint is that it gets him gigs like receiving the torch as though he was the most important sportsman/sportswoman we have, he isn't even a fucking Olympian or Paralympian.

Quote:
I shall grant myself a digression away from sport as you did yourself with the Freddie Mercury comment: Beckham also supports a lot of charitable causes all over the world and, by most accounts, he is also very humble and personable bloke (I know of one instance of his goodwill personally). He is a great ambassador for sport in this country. Chill out about his involvement; if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Oh, move to North Korea or something. If you can't handle opposing views on a forum without resorting to the nuclear option, you're obviously not an adult.

Sponsored Links

Old May 26th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #4402
Millsy29
Mad Sports Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The POTUS won't be there actually. The Wife of the POTUS will be instead.

This is normal for Summer Games. Dubya was the first POTUS to attend an overseas Summer Opening (Beijing), but this is not likely to become the norm given that Games Opening Ceremonies are in the middle of US elections.

For Athens Daddy Bush was sent along, and in Sydney Hilary went instead of Bill.
Took me a while to figure all that out but I got there..
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #4403
REVUpminster

Likes (Received): 3

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVUpminster View Post
This saturday 26th May 10am - 2pm at Stratford library the London legacy developement Corporation are showing their plans for a 60,000 multiuse stadium (80,000 for concerts) and a seperate 6 lane community running track. (probably the Olympic warm up track). Official notice in the Newham Recorder
I went today and it consisted of a 5/6 small plans and some very helpful staff. The 80,000 existing capacity is a gross figure and the seating capacity is more like 72,000. The majority of the 12,000 lost seats come from the upper tier by screening off the seats behind the tv screens in an almost straight line to turn the oval seating into a rectangle. The seats will remain behind some sort of hoarding for future use, away football supporters will be segregated and will sit in the lower south west corner (5% of seats). For FA cup (15%) they would take part of the south west upper tier. the south west corner is also where the coach park is. The ticket office will be built onto the plaza. There will be hospitality for over 2000 with some facing onto the pitch and other facing towards the city of london. More hospitality could be provided on the east side but any tenant would pay for that. The toilets would be rebuilt from the current figure of mostly ladies to more men. The existing lighting towers would be removed and the frame holding the roof strenghtened and extended to cover the seats. new lights would be placed under the roof so there would be no light polution. 93 turnstlies would provide access to the island. a new 6 lane community running track would be provided inthe south west corner between the stadium and the greenaway. They have planning permission for 10 concerts a year but want 12.
REVUpminster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #4404
Monks

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrevaricationComplex View Post
Nothing I've denied there. I just don't get why that matters. It's part of that celebrity culture you are apparently no fan of.

If only you stopped there kid, if only... but do carry on.

All of these things I agree with. No one is denying his contribution to sport, it however doesn't actually match the honours he gets is my point.

Why would I not like this? I'm getting the feeling you haven't actually understood anything.

These 'peers' you speak of include the national coaches of Tonga, the Maldives and Qatar. People who have probably never seen him play at the grounds. One of the many reasons FIFA's individual awards are not taken seriously by anyone who knows anything about football. Them taking over the serious award is a different story.

Where have I claimed his celebrity status gets him games/trophies etc? My complaint is that it gets him gigs like receiving the torch as though he was the most important sportsman/sportswoman we have, he isn't even a fucking Olympian or Paralympian.

Oh, move to North Korea or something. If you can't handle opposing views on a forum without resorting to the nuclear option, you're obviously not an adult.
???

I'm not the person who resorted to calling someone I don't know 'kid' from behind a keyboard. Not handling opposing views and resulting to personal insults is one thing, and replying in a adult manner with salient points that counter the intial argument in a reasoned fashion is quite another; I'd suggest you take a look at yourself before telling others what they are. 'Hoist with your own pertard' springs to mind.

Although you also may not respect the merits of national coaches of smaller nations, I think that their involvement and influence in the game greatly outweights any narcissitic delusions that you harbour. As for Beckham not being an Olympian, we shall see in a few weeks.
Monks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4405
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Likes (Received): 698

My deepest condolences for the part of your brain that is upset at being 'called' a ... kid. You leave my narcissistic delusions alone. Good day sir.
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #4406
MS20

Likes (Received): 1

Haters gonna hate. The once great Imperial Britain has the English Premier League and David Beckham to thank for its ongoing relevance. England should cherish these few things they remain adept at exporting, and not piss on it at every opportunity.

Last edited by MS20; May 27th, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
MS20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:35 AM   #4407
thewesthammatt

Mr Anderson.What do you think of the news that Barry Hearn now wants a possible groundshare afer all that he has said.I personally am dead against it.
thewesthammatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:12 AM   #4408
thewesthammatt

Quote:
Oi, 4 posts, stop acting like a prat and find somewhere else to post eh?

JimB summed up the situation exactly as it is. Not quite sure what you're doing on this forum with posts like this.
Oi 10000 posts Why don't you say the same thing to Fl@shman who has a pop at West Ham (Usually a pretty abusive one)any chance he gets on an ARCHITECTURAL forum when all any body wants to discuss is the actual stadium.Just outing him for what he is.A Spurs loving West ham hater who takes it way to far.Call me a Pratt eh one of spurs longest ever servants.Btw I don't get offended when my Tottenham mates who refer to themselves as yids call me a pikey,ghandi,wet spam etc just a bit of banter like it should be.In the end You'll get your stadium,we'll get ours admit yours will probably be better just feel the way Levy went about the whole thing was pretty classless.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4409
RobH

Likes (Received): 1667

Whatever, I don't know what post you're referring to and since I can't remember I'm not going to bother trying to find out. Bye.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:12 AM   #4410
JimB

Likes (Received): 761

Quote:
Whatever, I don't know what post you're referring to and since I can't remember I'm not going to bother trying to find out. Bye.
He's referring to an exchange of posts on this thread from two months ago in which he complained about Spurs' behaviour during the stadium bidding process and threatened to report Spurs to the EU for receiving illegal state aid!

Last edited by JimB; May 31st, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4411
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewesthammatt View Post
Oi 10000 posts Why don't you say the same thing to Fl@shman who has a pop at West Ham (Usually a pretty abusive one)any chance he gets on an ARCHITECTURAL forum when all any body wants to discuss is the actual stadium.Just outing him for what he is.A Spurs loving West ham hater who takes it way to far.Call me a Pratt eh one of spurs longest ever servants.Btw I don't get offended when my Tottenham mates who refer to themselves as yids call me a pikey,ghandi,wet spam etc just a bit of banter like it should be.In the end You'll get your stadium,we'll get ours admit yours will probably be better just feel the way Levy went about the whole thing was pretty classless.
I'm all for banter - so long as it doesn't cross the line. And I've no problem with West Ham.

Nor do I subscribe to Flashman's views on West Ham.

But I'll repeat what I said at the time: Tottenham were the victims, not the perpetrators, of all the skulduggery. Their only "crime" was to hire a private detective (not an illegal act) in attempt to get to the bottom of it.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4412
thewesthammatt

Can't be bothered to rehash all or your points (highly biased)but regarding haringey council obtaining legal advice on illegal state aid here is the link
http://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/m....aspx?ID=25189 page 11 paragraph 5.1
And I beleive it was you who told me to "man up"
During this whole process if the shoe was on the other foot Tottenham fans would be going Apeshit if we wanted to move into your manor and try to derail your whole clubs future.If Spurs could've come up with a plan to cover the running track a la Stade de France etc they may well of won but that was always a stipulation and everyone knew it.But to bid with the sole intention of gaining leverage to eradicate the affordable housing in the ndp for the working people of Tottenham in my opinion is terrible.
The People of East london and I include WHU deserve this regeneration after all no part of London has suffered more than the East End.And by the way I think you got totally shafted by uefa with regard to that stupid rule.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4413
thewesthammatt

It was when you were denigrating me for having only 5 posts and calling me a Pratt remember?
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4414
thewesthammatt

Yeah Bye!
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:03 PM   #4415
JimB

Quote:
It was when you were denigrating me for having only 5 posts and calling me a Pratt remember?
No one called you a "Pratt" (sic).

Rob said that you were behaving like a prat - attacking the behaviour rather than the person.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4416
JimB

Quote:
Can't be bothered to rehash all or your points (highly biased)but regarding haringey council obtaining legal advice on illegal state aid here is the link
http://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/m....aspx?ID=25189 page 11 paragraph 5.1
And I beleive it was you who told me to "man up"
During this whole process if the shoe was on the other foot Tottenham fans would be going Apeshit if we wanted to move into your manor and try to derail your whole clubs future.If Spurs could've come up with a plan to cover the running track a la Stade de France etc they may well of won but that was always a stipulation and everyone knew it.But to bid with the sole intention of gaining leverage to eradicate the affordable housing in the ndp for the working people of Tottenham in my opinion is terrible.
The People of East london and I include WHU deserve this regeneration after all no part of London has suffered more than the East End.And by the way I think you got totally shafted by uefa with regard to that stupid rule.
If you can't be bothered to rehash all the points, why on earth did you bother to reopen this discussion from two months ago????

As to the points that you raise:

1. Spurs have received and will receive no state aid. Every penny of Haringey's and the Mayor's money will be spent on public works.

2. Spurs fans were going far more "apeshit" at the prospect of our club moving to Stratford than West Ham fans were.

3. Spurs were repeatedly begged by Olympic and government officials to enter the bidding process and they were specifically told that they would not have to retain the running track at the Olympic site. They were lied to. End of story. After which, it was gloves off time.

4. Spurs bid for the Olympic stadium because it made huge financial sense to them. The subsequent relaxation of the requirement for affordable housing to be included in the NDP is an entirely separate matter. It's not at all uncommon for councils to relent in such matters - especially if a much needed development might otherwise not come to fruition at all.

5. Certainly, the east end suffered for many years. I have no objection to the area being the beneficiary of a massive £9 billion injection of public money over the past few years. What I won't stomach, however, is for West Ham fans subsequently to complain about a trifling £17 million of public money being spent on public works in Tottenham - an equally deprived and long suffering area as the east end.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:38 PM   #4417
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 1089

Quote:
The POTUS won't be there actually. The Wife of the POTUS will be instead.
The wife of the POTUS is FLOTUS, isn't she?
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:27 AM   #4418
thewesthammatt

You guys are so ridiculously biased and Blinkered by your support for anything Spurs you'll beleive any old claptrap Levy spouts.Spurs have acted like true gentlemen haven't they.I didn't rehash my points as Rob H piously "couldn't be bothered to look up a post from 2 months ago.Show me any credible quote from any authority figure that stated the track didn't need to remain for the bidding process.You obviously have no regard neither do Spurs for affordable housing for the woking families in the area who would of spent their hard earned money following Spurs and shopping at the new Tescos,just a ploy to get a better deal for Spurs to make more money from the deal,remember your owner has about 3 billion quid how much more does he need.Working famalies are getting shafted and isn't it a coincidence that the decision was made soon after Tottenham threatened to leave the area with no regard at all for the local people,some of the most deprived in Europe.I didn't see any Spurs fans going apeshit there were thousands, Sugar Fl#shman and loads of my Tottenham mates were drooling at the mouth at the thought of the infrastructure and growing your already large fanbase into one of the biggest in Europe with scant regard of your roots.I'll give Levy his due he is an excellent spin meister and if no crimes were committed why were 3 guys arrested?Something underhanded and criminal was obviously going on.I also reckon that 17 million will grow exponentially, add that to no affordable housing or drastically reduced I again refer you to the link that no groundbreaking will take place untill the issue of illegal state aid is resolved by Levy's legal team.Tottenham have done everything in their power to try and destroy West Ham's move,You had no business even bidding for a stadium outside your manor.We are actually moving closer to our roots.I wonder what they are going to do next,probably another Judicial review by Hearn/Levy if Hearn doesn't get what he wants,funny how he had no problem Spurs moving in but West ham are the Devil even though a large portion of Orients gates are Hammers fans when we are playing away.
How can you possibly say with a straight face that the relaxation of the requirement for affordable housing is not connected.Levy playing hardball at the expense of the working class people of Tottenham.It would be disastrous for the area if Spurs left so Lammy will do whatever it takes to appease him.And I don't remember insulting you guys only Flashman who deserves it.Acting like a Pratt being called a Pratt whats the difference.
I've got no problem Spurs getting aid for their stadium they deserve it but when you do everything in your power to Fuck up our future yes the gloves are off,I believe there are upwards of 20000 signatures for a petition to the EU even if we lose perhaps we can delay as long as possible and tie it up in the European courts(believe they have a long backlog)West Ham may be a fairly small provincial club but we will not lay down and get bullied by you lot.
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:07 AM   #4419
Mr_Andersonn

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Mr Anderson.What do you think of the news that Barry Hearn now wants a possible groundshare afer all that he has said.I personally am dead against it.
Apologies for the delay in reply. I tend to look on here more for developments on the stadium and park. There are more informative places to look with regard to West Hams plans and views of the fans than this site.

But in answer to your question, Hearn has gone full circle with his latest plans to talk to West Ham with a view to ground sharing.

IN Hearns own words: "The Olympic stadium is not fit for football. Someone has to say it. I’ve been there, I’ve had consultants [look at it], I want it because it’s 750 yards away from our [Leyton Orient] ground.

“The fact is, though, when you look at the design, it’s a magnificent athletics stadium but you can’t play football there.

“West Ham can do whatever West Ham want to do, I will object to having a major club right on my doorstep threatening to put me out of business. You must expect me to fight my corner."

Absolute hypocrite!

I would also add:

From the Premier League Handbook Season 2011/12

SECTION I

GROUND CRITERIA

Ground Sharing
4. No Club shall have or enter into a ground-sharing agreement unless the agreement contains a legally enforceable provision to the effect that the playing of the Club’s League Matches shall always take precedence over the activities of the other party to the agreement.

Right, that's the premier league....

If the football league have the equivalent of that in their rules then a ground share with Orient is totally impossible whoever might be in favour of it because it's simply not possible for both parties to have legal precedence over one another.

For that same reason it definitely rules out premier league teams sharing, so it totally rules out any possibility of sharing with Tottenham as has recently been suggested in this forum, and it raises the question of even if football league rules allowed Orient to share what would happen in the admittedly unlikely event that they ever won promotion to the premier league.
Mr_Andersonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:25 AM   #4420
Mr_Andersonn

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
You guys are so ridiculously biased and Blinkered by your support for anything Spurs you'll beleive any old claptrap Levy spouts.Spurs have acted like true gentlemen haven't they.I didn't rehash my points as Rob H piously "couldn't be bothered to look up a post from 2 months ago.Show me any credible quote from any authority figure that stated the track didn't need to remain for the bidding process.You obviously have no regard neither do Spurs for affordable housing for the woking families in the area who would of spent their hard earned money following Spurs and shopping at the new Tescos,just a ploy to get a better deal for Spurs to make more money from the deal,remember your owner has about 3 billion quid how much more does he need.Working famalies are getting shafted and isn't it a coincidence that the decision was made soon after Tottenham threatened to leave the area with no regard at all for the local people,some of the most deprived in Europe.I didn't see any Spurs fans going apeshit there were thousands, Sugar Fl#shman and loads of my Tottenham mates were drooling at the mouth at the thought of the infrastructure and growing your already large fanbase into one of the biggest in Europe with scant regard of your roots.I'll give Levy his due he is an excellent spin meister and if no crimes were committed why were 3 guys arrested?Something underhanded and criminal was obviously going on.I also reckon that 17 million will grow exponentially, add that to no affordable housing or drastically reduced I again refer you to the link that no groundbreaking will take place untill the issue of illegal state aid is resolved by Levy's legal team.Tottenham have done everything in their power to try and destroy West Ham's move,You had no business even bidding for a stadium outside your manor.We are actually moving closer to our roots.I wonder what they are going to do next,probably another Judicial review by Hearn/Levy if Hearn doesn't get what he wants,funny how he had no problem Spurs moving in but West ham are the Devil even though a large portion of Orients gates are Hammers fans when we are playing away.
How can you possibly say with a straight face that the relaxation of the requirement for affordable housing is not connected.Levy playing hardball at the expense of the working class people of Tottenham.It would be disastrous for the area if Spurs left so Lammy will do whatever it takes to appease him.And I don't remember insulting you guys only Flashman who deserves it.Acting like a Pratt being called a Pratt whats the difference.
I've got no problem Spurs getting aid for their stadium they deserve it but when you do everything in your power to Fuck up our future yes the gloves are off,I believe there are upwards of 20000 signatures for a petition to the EU even if we lose perhaps we can delay as long as possible and tie it up in the European courts(believe they have a long backlog)West Ham may be a fairly small provincial club but we will not lay down and get bullied by you lot.
I agree that Flashman is a twat. He has been anti Olympic Stadium from day one and I am not sure why he even bothers looking at this site. With him though, it is a case of sour grapes as he was sure Spurs would win with their bid and it seriously put his nose out of joint. He had a dig at every opportunity but funnily enough he has quietened down. Still a twat though!

I wouldn't take anything personal on this site, people have their opinions and are entitled to their opinions. Unless you want to spend half your life on here arguing the toss over trivial things I really wouldn't bother.
Mr_Andersonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, england, london, olympics