daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #4381
RobH

Likes (Received): 1918

Well yes, that too!
RobH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4382
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Likes (Received): 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
James Bond (Daniel) is going to have something to do with it.
Not sure I approve of this. I'd love Fergie to do it, It'll be better if Dalgliesh handed it to him

And please, no more of Becks or any other z-list celebs. I love the man but I can't bear to see anymore of him, besides he's nothing special.

I'm not sure what I want from Danny Boyle, but it'd be really cool if lasers and fire retardant gel was used.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:47 PM   #4383
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1099

You think David Beckham is a Z-List celeb?

I heard the relatively unknown Barack Obama will also be at the Opening ceremony as a guest, he will be joined by newcomer Queen Elizabeth II.

Visit Grantham Linconshire

I am on the twitter @eddyk2
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #4384
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 125

So the olympic flame will be on the orbit?
masterpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4385
thewesthammatt

Likes (Received): 0

Bout friggin time eh rev.
thewesthammatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #4386
JimB

Likes (Received): 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
So the olympic flame will be on the orbit?
No.

There will be a separate cauldron, designed by Thomas Heatherwick.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4387
RobH

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post

I heard the relatively unknown Barack Obama will also be at the Opening ceremony as a guest, he will be joined by newcomer Queen Elizabeth II.
The POTUS won't be there actually. The Wife of the POTUS will be instead.

This is normal for Summer Games. Dubya was the first POTUS to attend an overseas Summer Opening (Beijing), but this is not likely to become the norm given that Games Opening Ceremonies are in the middle of US elections.

For Athens Daddy Bush was sent along, and in Sydney Hilary went instead of Bill.
RobH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4388
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post

Becks is effectively a professional celebrity, I honestly don't get why our society values let alone venerates such nonsense.

In my ideal world, the corpse of Freddy Mercury will be raised from the ashes by our scientific elite and his awesomeness would simply will fire into being. Sadly this is too much to ask for

However, I don't think I'm asking for too much in saying that famous people shouldn't be honoured in this way simply for being famous, which is why Becks picked up the torch. It certainly wasn't for any of his sporting achievements. This just reflects badly on us as a shallow people imo. Similar nonsense with the hand over in Beijing, we just sent over some famous people as though that was some how to be impressive. It's all just a bit too Alan Partridge for me.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4389
Mr_Andersonn

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Well yes, that too!
Those are the pictures I saw yes although I didn't get much time to read about it at the time.
Mr_Andersonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #4390
MrChavcore

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrevaricationComplex View Post
Becks is effectively a professional celebrity, I honestly don't get why our society values let alone venerates such nonsense.

In my ideal world, the corpse of Freddy Mercury will be raised from the ashes by our scientific elite and his awesomeness would simply will fire into being. Sadly this is too much to ask for

However, I don't think I'm asking for too much in saying that famous people shouldn't be honoured in this way simply for being famous, which is why Becks picked up the torch. It certainly wasn't for any of his sporting achievements. This just reflects badly on us as a shallow people imo. Similar nonsense with the hand over in Beijing, we just sent over some famous people as though that was some how to be impressive. It's all just a bit too Alan Partridge for me.
david beckham is england's most well known global sports star and, although you can argue to the merits of his fame in relation to his ability, it makes sense that he would be involved.
MrChavcore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4391
canarywondergod

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChavcore View Post
david beckham is england's most well known global sports star and, although you can argue to the merits of his fame in relation to his ability, it makes sense that he would be involved.
Apparently, being captain of your country isn't good enough to hold the torch...
canarywondergod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4392
Monks

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

Whilst I am no fan of the 'celebrity culture', I think you're way off the mark here. David Beckham is easily the United Kingdom's most recognisable sportsperson. He played for one of England's greatest professional sports teams for the best part of a decade and, during that time, managed to get his hands on every piece of silverware that was up-for-grabs. He is also one of only a few English football players to amass over 100 national caps, and, whether you like it or not, he has also represented English football when playing in the Spanish, Italian and American leagues. He was also named in 2nd place in FIFA's World Player of the Year list on two occassions; his peers were the ones voting, not the 'shallow people' you share a passport with, I'll add.

With the afrorementioned in mind, I don't think a couple of pages in the celebrity sections of a few newspapers is quite enough to be given that sort of a career on a plate. I shall grant myself a digression away from sport as you did yourself with the Freddie Mercury comment: Beckham also supports a lot of charitable causes all over the world and, by most accounts, he is also very humble and personable bloke (I know of one instance of his goodwill personally). He is a great ambassador for sport in this country. Chill out about his involvement; if you don't like it, don't watch it.

___

On another note, does anyone know if the outskirts of the track are still getting painted black? Doesn't look very nice the way it is at the moment.
Monks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4393
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Chiming in to offer my support for such an awesome idea. Freddy would've been the ideal voice to christen the building and the event.

You're still missed, good sir.
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #4394
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monks View Post
Whilst I am no fan of the 'celebrity culture', I think you're way off the mark here. David Beckham is easily the United Kingdom's most recognisable sportsperson.
Nothing I've denied there. I just don't get why that matters. It's part of that celebrity culture you are apparently no fan of.

Quote:
He played for one of England's greatest professional sports teams for the best part of a decade...
If only you stopped there kid, if only... but do carry on.

Quote:
... and, during that time, managed to get his hands on every piece of silverware that was up-for-grabs. He is also one of only a few English football players to amass over 100 national caps
All of these things I agree with. No one is denying his contribution to sport, it however doesn't actually match the honours he gets is my point.

Quote:
, and, whether you like it or not, he has also represented English football when playing in the Spanish, Italian and American leagues.
Why would I not like this? I'm getting the feeling you haven't actually understood anything.

Quote:
He was also named in 2nd place in FIFA's World Player of the Year list on two occassions; his peers were the ones voting, not the 'shallow people' you share a passport with, I'll add.
These 'peers' you speak of include the national coaches of Tonga, the Maldives and Qatar. People who have probably never seen him play at the grounds. One of the many reasons FIFA's individual awards are not taken seriously by anyone who knows anything about football. Them taking over the serious award is a different story.

Quote:
With the afrorementioned in mind, I don't think a couple of pages in the celebrity sections of a few newspapers is quite enough to be given that sort of a career on a plate.
Where have I claimed his celebrity status gets him games/trophies etc? My complaint is that it gets him gigs like receiving the torch as though he was the most important sportsman/sportswoman we have, he isn't even a ******* Olympian or Paralympian.

Quote:
I shall grant myself a digression away from sport as you did yourself with the Freddie Mercury comment: Beckham also supports a lot of charitable causes all over the world and, by most accounts, he is also very humble and personable bloke (I know of one instance of his goodwill personally). He is a great ambassador for sport in this country. Chill out about his involvement; if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Oh, move to North Korea or something. If you can't handle opposing views on a forum without resorting to the nuclear option, you're obviously not an adult.
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #4395
Millsy29
Mad Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The POTUS won't be there actually. The Wife of the POTUS will be instead.

This is normal for Summer Games. Dubya was the first POTUS to attend an overseas Summer Opening (Beijing), but this is not likely to become the norm given that Games Opening Ceremonies are in the middle of US elections.

For Athens Daddy Bush was sent along, and in Sydney Hilary went instead of Bill.
Took me a while to figure all that out but I got there..
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #4396
REVUpminster

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVUpminster View Post
This saturday 26th May 10am - 2pm at Stratford library the London legacy developement Corporation are showing their plans for a 60,000 multiuse stadium (80,000 for concerts) and a seperate 6 lane community running track. (probably the Olympic warm up track). Official notice in the Newham Recorder
I went today and it consisted of a 5/6 small plans and some very helpful staff. The 80,000 existing capacity is a gross figure and the seating capacity is more like 72,000. The majority of the 12,000 lost seats come from the upper tier by screening off the seats behind the tv screens in an almost straight line to turn the oval seating into a rectangle. The seats will remain behind some sort of hoarding for future use, away football supporters will be segregated and will sit in the lower south west corner (5% of seats). For FA cup (15%) they would take part of the south west upper tier. the south west corner is also where the coach park is. The ticket office will be built onto the plaza. There will be hospitality for over 2000 with some facing onto the pitch and other facing towards the city of london. More hospitality could be provided on the east side but any tenant would pay for that. The toilets would be rebuilt from the current figure of mostly ladies to more men. The existing lighting towers would be removed and the frame holding the roof strenghtened and extended to cover the seats. new lights would be placed under the roof so there would be no light polution. 93 turnstlies would provide access to the island. a new 6 lane community running track would be provided inthe south west corner between the stadium and the greenaway. They have planning permission for 10 concerts a year but want 12.
REVUpminster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #4397
Monks

Quote:
Nothing I've denied there. I just don't get why that matters. It's part of that celebrity culture you are apparently no fan of.

If only you stopped there kid, if only... but do carry on.

All of these things I agree with. No one is denying his contribution to sport, it however doesn't actually match the honours he gets is my point.

Why would I not like this? I'm getting the feeling you haven't actually understood anything.

These 'peers' you speak of include the national coaches of Tonga, the Maldives and Qatar. People who have probably never seen him play at the grounds. One of the many reasons FIFA's individual awards are not taken seriously by anyone who knows anything about football. Them taking over the serious award is a different story.

Where have I claimed his celebrity status gets him games/trophies etc? My complaint is that it gets him gigs like receiving the torch as though he was the most important sportsman/sportswoman we have, he isn't even a ******* Olympian or Paralympian.

Oh, move to North Korea or something. If you can't handle opposing views on a forum without resorting to the nuclear option, you're obviously not an adult.
???

I'm not the person who resorted to calling someone I don't know 'kid' from behind a keyboard. Not handling opposing views and resulting to personal insults is one thing, and replying in a adult manner with salient points that counter the intial argument in a reasoned fashion is quite another; I'd suggest you take a look at yourself before telling others what they are. 'Hoist with your own pertard' springs to mind.

Although you also may not respect the merits of national coaches of smaller nations, I think that their involvement and influence in the game greatly outweights any narcissitic delusions that you harbour. As for Beckham not being an Olympian, we shall see in a few weeks.
Monks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4398
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

My deepest condolences for the part of your brain that is upset at being 'called' a ... kid. You leave my narcissistic delusions alone. Good day sir.
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #4399
MS20

Likes (Received): 1

Haters gonna hate. The once great Imperial Britain has the English Premier League and David Beckham to thank for its ongoing relevance. England should cherish these few things they remain adept at exporting, and not piss on it at every opportunity.

Last edited by MS20; May 27th, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
MS20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:35 AM   #4400
thewesthammatt

Mr Anderson.What do you think of the news that Barry Hearn now wants a possible groundshare afer all that he has said.I personally am dead against it.
thewesthammatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, england, london, olympics