daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1101
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 2068

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshponneth View Post
That is due to the some people's nature. They made strong arguments to pass their cars into their house. They did not allow to raise the footpath in each gate 1 ft. The gate, in which Ambassador is parked, is the gate of Therambil Ramakrishnan(MLA and former speaker). He also did not notice this ups and downs.
Ups and Down on Footpath is fine. There is no rule that Footpath should be a horizontal axis. But the ups and downs should be neatly built.
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1102
maheshponneth

Likes (Received): 1422

correct.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag us down to their level and then beat us with experience:
Mark Twain

Visit
Thrissur4u

TRPA
waterways in Thrissur
http://riceboat.in
coconut island
kayyaloram.com
maheshponneth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1103
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Likes (Received): 1943

There is a standard for connecting driveways over sidewalks to roadways. I haven't seen anything close being implemented anywhere in Kerala. Maybe TCRIP roads did. Maybe Sudheesh can confirm. What I have seen around is just to give a gap in the sidewalk.
DileepKS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1104
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS
I haven't seen anything close being implemented anywhere in Kerala. Maybe TCRIP roads did. Maybe Sudheesh can confirm.
Rather than me, Ajith would be the right person as he was involved as a consultant.

And AFAIK, TCRIP roads are modelled on Singapore standards and is 'wheel chair' friendly too..:-)
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1105
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
Rather than me, Ajith would be the right person as he was involved as a consultant.

And AFAIK, TCRIP roads are modelled on Singapore standards and is 'wheel chair' friendly too..:-)
You posted photos in the past. That is why I asked. If you (or any other photo enthusiasts like Ajith or VJ) got photos of sidewalk merging, please post.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1106
ajithv
BANNED

Likes (Received): 328

As Sudheesh mentioned, the footpath constructed under TCRIP is wheelchair friendly as the height of the footpath is very less. Generally there were no provision made for individuals property entry/exit. Eventhen some individuals made ramp fro their convenience and in 'some rare cases' the height is reduced to half. Will search out for some examples and post here later.
ajithv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1107
ajithv
BANNED

Source: Kerala Kaumudi
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1108
ajithv
BANNED

Source: Malayala Manorama
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #1109
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

What exactly is meant by "wheelchair friendly"? Could you explain/show example?
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #1110
Viveks
From "Trivandrum Lobby"

Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
അവനവനു തന്നെ ഉരുട്ടി കയറ്റാം എന്ന് തോന്നുന്നു...

Last edited by Viveks; May 28th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Viveks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #1111
sudheeshnairs

Quote:
I think you should have heard or known about the concept ‘handicapped’ or ‘wheel chair’ friendly. If you happen to work with the new age companies, work in modern offices or lived/visited some of the countries of developed world, you should be knowing it.

In India we now do follow these practices in modern offices or shopping malls, hotels or even metro stations, where a handicapped person who is confined to wheel chair can move around and engage in activities just like a normal person through properly designed ramps, elevators, toilets etc.

When you extend this to the public roads and cities they become ‘wheel chair friendly’ too. If you just ‘google’ you may get answers.

This link will give you some examples of how sidewalks should be designed for pedestrian and disabled friendly.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...lks/chap4a.cfm
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1112
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

I know what "wheelchair friendly" is. I lived six years in one of the most stringently regulated environment of "differently abled access". I have a general, user level knowledge on that.

Let me re-phase my question.

In the context of TCRIP roads being "wheelchair friendly", could you explain what level/form of compliance is maintained? Could you explain/show example? A web search did not turn up any info.

Viveks, I would request you to take your sarcasm elsewhere, because it is not going to cut with me.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #1113
sudheeshnairs

Quote:
I know what "wheelchair friendly" is. I lived six years in one of the most stringently regulated environment of "differently abled access". I have a general, user level knowledge on that.

Let me re-phase my question. .
Ok, so it was the issue of your question being open ended and not able to communicate properly what you intended.

Quote:
In the context of TCRIP roads being "wheelchair friendly", could you explain what level/form of compliance is maintained? Could you explain/show example? A web search did not turn up any info. .
The level/form of compliance as far as pedestrian/disabled friendliness is considered are factors like the height of the kerb, paved sidewalks, rounded off/sloped entry and exits which help a person on a wheel chair to negotiate them on his own. Infact I have not seen this kind of standards adopted in any of the public streets of Indian cities. Only in gated communities we find this kind of standards adopted and of course countries like Singapore or those in Europe/US or Middle East. I am also not sure whether this is enforced uniformly across the whole 42 km TCRIP stretch as the work is not fully complete with some nit bits here and there in busy commercial areas, but the most of the stretches I have seen has followed that.

Quote:
Viveks, I would request you to take your sarcasm elsewhere, because it is not going to cut with me.
What he has written in Malayalam is exactly the answer. A wheel chair bound person would be able to tread by himself over the sidewalks.

Anyway there is no need for that smiley. Vivek, it is better not to repeat the same.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1114
maheshponneth

Likes (Received): 1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithv View Post
As Sudheesh mentioned, the footpath constructed under TCRIP is wheelchair friendly as the height of the footpath is very less. Generally there were no provision made for individuals property entry/exit. Eventhen some individuals made ramp fro their convenience and in 'some rare cases' the height is reduced to half. Will search out for some examples and post here later.
+1The example is the model road thrissur. When the first stage's work is started, they constructed the footpath as we have seen in the above pic. but on the second stage, as you said, the height is reduced to half to pass the resident's cars.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag us down to their level and then beat us with experience:
Mark Twain

Visit
Thrissur4u

TRPA
waterways in Thrissur
http://riceboat.in
coconut island
kayyaloram.com
maheshponneth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1115
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
The level/form of compliance as far as pedestrian/disabled friendliness is considered are factors like the height of the kerb, paved sidewalks, rounded off/sloped entry and exits which help a person on a wheel chair to negotiate them on his own. Infact I have not seen this kind of standards adopted in any of the public streets of Indian cities. Only in gated communities we find this kind of standards adopted and of course countries like Singapore or those in Europe/US or Middle East. I am also not sure whether this is enforced uniformly across the whole 42 km TCRIP stretch as the work is not fully complete with some nit bits here and there in busy commercial areas, but the most of the stretches I have seen has followed that.
Exactly my concern.

A sidewalk being "Wheelchair friendly" should include proper merging of driveways, and also things like ramps for entering the roadway for crossing the roads. This being something new, and should serve as a model, I would definitely like to have more details of what is being done on TCRIP.

Can someone do a photodoc on this?
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1116
loveclt

Likes (Received): 28

just check the following link...!! there are some pics of TCRIP road..!!
http://thiruvananthapuramupdates.wor...ass-developed/

loveclt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1117
PPJ

Likes (Received): 327

Hope they dont make this as the model road!.There is nothing special from other roads. Only thing is height of the pedestarian walkway is low. But the walkway is too narrow.

This is something similar to use of "interstate bus stand" terminology in kerala. Hears good but practically useless.
PPJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #1118
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

I would say it is a good start having low profile sidewalks, because you can in fact break your leg by falling off the walkways here in Kochi. They are so high!!

Still, just having a low profile sidewalk doesn't make it "wheelchair friendly". It is just one of the elements.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #1119
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 2068

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPJ View Post
Hope they dont make this as the model road!.There is nothing special from other roads. Only thing is height of the pedestarian walkway is low. But the walkway is too narrow.
I don't understand how a low profile footpath is a specialty? I believe that's a faulty design. In order to be 'Wheelchair-Friendly' it is no rule that the whole stretch should be made like that. This will pave way for more serious accidents.
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1120
PPJ

Likes (Received): 327

I didnt mean to be special, just told the apparent difference. BTW as u asid, for wheel chair friendly do the whole walk way needs to be low profile? Ideally pedestrians are supposed to cross the roads only at zebra crossing in city roads. Better put handrails and provide a gap only at places where crossing the road is safe and that part can be made wheel chair friendly.

I am not sure if anyone in wheelchair will really use such roads or benefit from it.
PPJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: