daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Sweden > Stockholm

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1221
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 593

Sorry, but no my droid was out of juice that day (forgot the usb-cord at work), so didn't have anything to take pictures with.

But like I said, I know svast has pictures
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1222
sthlm30

Likes (Received): 25

Picture from E18 Hjulsta.
sthlm30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1223
sthlm30

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1224
sthlm30

Wtf, where are they?.....this makes me angry!
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1225
Swede
forumer #29

looks to me like you posted a .php link, i.e. a webpage link. Find the actual .gif/.jpg/... and link to that.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1226
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
Nice effort and I agree on some things but the Brown line? There is no way that the cost of such a project would be cost-effective - or even close. It lies too close to existing lines and covers just weird areas, to be honest..
I would say that it creates much needed new connections, creates new "centrality" within the city and greatly connects areas either being developed, planned for development or next in line after that for re-development/densification. Also, by taking over Hagsätra and ending at Rågsved it creates a possibility for the Blue line to connect to Huddinge Station by way of areas that could/should also be urbanized/densified.

Quote:
For example, not passing Slussen would be a huge waste for Blå linjen. Just one of many reasons for that is the commuters coming from Nacka and that easing it up for T-Centralen - and the much easier constructing through the sea. It is MUCH deeper going far more to the east.
I used to favour it going the Djurgården route. Then I learnt of the depth-problem and became more concerned with commute-connections south of Centralen as well as covering the eastern half of Söder. Now I'm firmly in the Slussen camp.

Quote:
How do you think Hagastaden, NKS and that HUGE project should be covered? That area needs much better traffic and extending the Green line up there - if you also gives Blåa linjen one of the southern parts of the Green could be an idea.
That is an idea I like, tho it sort of blocks a good entry into the inner city for a 4th subway line from the north. Other than that it's a great idea and one I hope gets built since I don't think a 4th subway line will enter the public discussions, much less the planning offices, until the Blue line is running to both Nacka and Hagsätra.

Quote:
But whatever happens, Hagastaden and NKS needs either a tram or subway part pretty soon and probably both sometime in the future.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Subway to Täby should have been done years ago, as the Blue line extension southeast and other smaller projects..
Indeed.

Quote:
Don't expect Tvärbanan to cross Brunnsviken and norra Djurgården anytime.. I know that the Socialdemokraterna wants a line from Odenplan to NKS to Solna centrum to Danderyd (or Bergshamra?). Not a great but costly project buyt still better than the Tvärbanan through nationalstadsparken...
I, sadly, don't expect that route, no. It would make for a line that would be full of travelers for large parts of the day tho. Connecting Sundbyberg->SolnaC->SolnaS->Universitetet(->Ropsten) would see many students able to avoid T-Centralen without loosing time (as one does now when taking a bus around the bay).
The line you mention would be a decent new radial line, yes, best built asa subway IMO. But my suggestion is for a transverse line that would make or a more efficient network.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #1227
sthlm30

E18 Hjulsta

Värtan

Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1228
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2168

The roads make me sad. It's as if they want to turn Stockholm from a public transport/walking city to a road city. Such a bad choice, but I am sure many disagree with me.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1229
sthlm30

i did not know that the webcams was going to change from time to time. it was not dark when i posted them!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1230
datoriprogram

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthlm30 View Post
i did not know that the webcams was going to change from time to time. it was not dark when i posted them!
The .jpg file is constantly updated, so don't worry, it's common that webcam pics are posted in the forums like this It might be a bit shame if someone is looking through the thread in the future for update pics, otherwise it's not a big deal!
datoriprogram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #1231
Vectoor

Likes (Received): 8

http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/st...er_7233693.svd
Vectoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1232
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoor View Post
You see, I find reports like this a bit hard to believe sometimes. I commute FAR less than I did in Auckland but commute double the distance. Sometimes people need to do proper statistics to justify their case. If someone travels twice as far then, obviously, it'll take longer, unless transport is more efficient. One should look at the distance travelled compared to the time taken. Traffic in England is hell and public transport is non-existent in many places, or at least is totally bus-based (Bristol would be an example of this), therefore, I really don't understand where they're pulling this information from.

The only point I do agree with is that more money needs to be spent in upgrading public transport in the city, that's for sure. To say that infrastructure hasn't kept pace with development is ridiculous though given that Stockholm has a very large amount of rail infrastructure compared to its relative size.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1233
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Transport Photos

Södertälje Station

Just a small update on the duplication on the Pendeltåg line to Södertälje. The station building and surroundings are actually very nice. In fact the whole of Södertälje was a big surprise.

Stadion station

Just because I was here today and I like the station.

YouTube Channel
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #1234
Swede
forumer #29

Nice pics, and yeah Sötälje is pretty nice (though as usual very small for it's population (since most of the people live in suburbs).

Here's a pic I took this saturday, can anyone guess where it is?
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1235
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 52

Trafikplats Kista? Uppsalavägen is going to be littered with large intersections with flyovers and ramps when the new E18 and förbifarten are done. A roadenthusiasts dream!
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1236
Swede
forumer #29

That's the one, yes
I'm no fan of motorways (as should be obvious by now), but I'm thinking more it'll be a nightmare of endless queues what with the extra traffic from the E18 re-routing and the over-all increase in cars and auto-dependence that comes with the so-called Bypass.

One good thing about Tfpl Kista I hadn't noticed before, and that me and svast talked about when we checked the place out. was a pedestrain/bike-passage across the E4. Hasn't been one there before, but with this new plan a new connection is made! I also like how the old off-ramp and bridge over to Silverdal will connect to the local streets in Kista (the south end of Torshamnsgatan), enabling a brand new bus-connection too
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1237
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
That's the one, yes
I'm no fan of motorways (as should be obvious by now), but I'm thinking more it'll be a nightmare of endless queues what with the extra traffic from the E18 re-routing and the over-all increase in cars and auto-dependence that comes with the so-called Bypass.

One good thing about Tfpl Kista I hadn't noticed before, and that me and svast talked about when we checked the place out. was a pedestrain/bike-passage across the E4. Hasn't been one there before, but with this new plan a new connection is made! I also like how the old off-ramp and bridge over to Silverdal will connect to the local streets in Kista (the south end of Torshamnsgatan), enabling a brand new bus-connection too
As I am sure you are aware of, E4 between Norrtull and Kista will be widened to accommodate the extra traffic. And of course, förbifarten will relieve a lot of traffic from the existing E4 so there will hopefully be less queues in 10 years compared with today.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1238
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
As I am sure you are aware of, E4 between Norrtull and Kista will be widened to accommodate the extra traffic. And of course, förbifarten will relieve a lot of traffic from the existing E4 so there will hopefully be less queues in 10 years compared with today.
Personally I hope there are queues galore and that no one can move on the motorways at all as that will make politicians think about the whole phenomenon of "induced demand" with regards to roading infrastructure. More public transport, less developments like this or we'll just create hell for Stockholm in the future and lose out on its unique features that make it so livable at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Nice pics, and yeah Sötälje is pretty nice (though as usual very small for it's population (since most of the people live in suburbs).
Really? I thought that it was of a decent size relative to population. It has a bigger centre and more amenities than any Japanese city of a similar size (trust me, I've seen them, most are awful compared to the urbanity of the big cities...) or UK, NZ or even French cities. I think some German cities have larger centres for the same population but in my travels not impressively so. I think the only place I've been where there are large centres for small towns is Switzerland. But either way, I was pleasantly surprised!

YouTube Channel
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #1239
Muthai
KTH-student

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Personally I hope there are queues galore and that no one can move on the motorways at all as that will make politicians think about the whole phenomenon of "induced demand" with regards to roading infrastructure. More public transport, less developments like this or we'll just create hell for Stockholm in the future and lose out on its unique features that make it so livable at present.
I couldn't agree with you more. The more roads you build (to decrease the overloaded lanes), the more car-traffic you'll get. That's always the case. So, just let the cars get stuck in traffic jams until they do a "Michel Douglas" and just start walking instead. Of course the recipe is to build the city walkable, as the master plan of "Promenadstaden" suggests, and to create a good public transport system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Really? I thought that it was of a decent size relative to population. It has a bigger centre and more amenities than any Japanese city of a similar size (trust me, I've seen them, most are awful compared to the urbanity of the big cities...) or UK, NZ or even French cities. I think some German cities have larger centres for the same population but in my travels not impressively so. I think the only place I've been where there are large centres for small towns is Switzerland. But either way, I was pleasantly surprised!
I lived in Södertälje a couple of years ago. The municipality has about 80K inhabitants, but a city centre (with city life qualities) of maximum 8 blocks. Even though a few of those blocks contains buildings with picturesque architecture, the most part are just modernistic mono-functional complexes. Not OK! I'm not saying that it's worse than other Swedish (or eruopean) towns, but it's not that spectacular. On the other side the landscape are giving Södertälje some awesome conditions to create something really good. So maybe in the future we'll see a real urban and vivid city centre.
Muthai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1240
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthai View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. The more roads you build (to decrease the overloaded lanes), the more car-traffic you'll get. That's always the case. So, just let the cars get stuck in traffic jams until they do a "Michel Douglas" and just start walking instead. Of course the recipe is to build the city walkable, as the master plan of "Promenadstaden" suggests, and to create a good public transport system.
Haha, I can see we definitely sing from the same song sheet when it comes to transportation! I like the quote which likened building more roads to cure congestion is like attempting to cure obesity by loosening your belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthai View Post
I lived in Södertälje a couple of years ago. The municipality has about 80K inhabitants, but a city centre (with city life qualities) of maximum 8 blocks. Even though a few of those blocks contains buildings with picturesque architecture, the most part are just modernistic mono-functional complexes. Not OK! I'm not saying that it's worse than other Swedish (or eruopean) towns, but it's not that spectacular. On the other side the landscape are giving Södertälje some awesome conditions to create something really good. So maybe in the future we'll see a real urban and vivid city centre.
Agreed, sure there is room for improvement, but when it comes to urbanity that we all seem to desire, very few places in the world have it right at all. Small towns like that are pretty bad the world over with only big cities actually forcing people to consider urbanity as the solution to their problems.

YouTube Channel

Tags
stockholm