daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Prairie Provinces

Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #181
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 15431

Three Regina companies amoung Canada’s ‘best employers’

Leader-Post staffOctober 21, 2011

REGINA -- Three Regina-based companies — Farm Credit Canada, Conexus Credit Union, and Co-operators Life Insurance — were ranked among the 50 Best Employers in Canada for 2012, the only companies in Saskatchewan to achieve that distinction.

The 50 Best Employers list, which was announced Thursday, is compiled annually by Aon Hewitt using results from confidential employee opinion surveys.

Farm Credit Canada, Canada's largest agricultural lender, was ranked sixth overall, while Conexus, Saskatchewan's largest credit union, was ranked 33rd and Co-operators Life was ranked 35th.

"This ranking is based on employee opinions and it means a lot that they think FCC is a great place to work," said FCC's senior-vice president of human resources Greg Honey.

"We use the feedback from this survey to make sure we keep doing what's working and to make changes where they are needed. The fact that we came in sixth — the highest we've ever ranked — is an added bonus."

Conexus saw its 2012 ranking increase of five places from last year (38 in 2011), marking the seventh year in a row Conexus has been recognized as one of the 50 Best Employers in Canada.....

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/business/T...#ixzz1bUB63JHi

Knocked me down and I got back up
And I got myself back in the race again
Yellow Fever está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 6th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #182
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Regina’s City Square might never open to traffic

By lisa goudy, Leader-Post November 4, 2011

REGINA — Downtown Regina’s new City Square plaza might become pedestrian only.

On Tuesday, city council will consider a recommendation to permanently close the section of the road between Scarth Street and Lorne Street to motor vehicles.

“As we’ve tried to make the best way to program and make sure the space is active and vital and well used, we think there’s some real advantages in making sure that this is a space that can be used by the community on a regular basis without conflicts and without any impediment to that programming,” said Kelly Wyatt, the city’s director of development engineering.

Wyatt said the space was always meant to be closed to traffic for any events held at the plaza and the city was looking at least 200 programming events a year.

“There would have been a lot of days during the year it would have been closed to traffic,” said Wyatt. “Part of the discussion as we looked at a really comprehensive programming strategy was: Is it worth having it open to traffic those remaining days or should we try to program it full time?”

Wyatt estimated that within two weeks, the plaza will be complete. She said the biggest outstanding item is to finish the concrete and glass work on the stage, which will be used for events, including the Regina farmers’ market and Regina Folk Festival.....

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/Regina+Cit...#ixzz1cth0ZTqI

Old December 30th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #183
somrach1
黄红日 FIFA WORLD CUP 2014

Likes (Received): 293

Hills center 3
ps. i'm so jealous with regina now why sask dont build ANY MORE TOWERRRR

There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel
brand new
The lights will inspire you
Lets here it for New York.

WORLD CUP 2014
GERMANY
somrach1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #184
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

do you know why Regina has more office towers than Saskatoon? Its because the Sask provincial government is the biggest tenant of most of these shinny buildings.

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #185
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by somrach1 View Post
ps. i'm so jealous with regina now why sask dont build ANY MORE TOWERRRR
take that! saskatoon!

Harvard announces new office tower for downtown Regina

By Bruce Johnstone, Leader-Post April 10, 2012 10:40 PM

REGINA — With the first new office tower in downtown Regina in 20 years nearing completion, Harvard Developments announced Tuesday that will build another office tower at the other end of 1800 block Hamilton Street, starting in late 2013 for occupancy in 2015.

Called Agriculture Place, the new office tower will be built along side the existing Harvard Developments-owned building at 1800 Hamilton St., which currently houses the head office of Farm Credit Canada. FCC will also be the major tenant of the new building.

Agriculture Place, which will be similar in size to the 13-storey FCC building, will join another Harvard Developments project at the corner of Hamilton Street and 12th Avenue, known as Hill Centre Tower III. That $100-million project, which is scheduled to be completed in mid-2012, complements Harvard-owned Hill Centre Towers I and II at 1874 and 1881 Scarth St, respectively.

Rosanne Hill Blaisdell, managing partner of Harvard Buildings, a subsidiary of Regina-based Harvard Developments, confirmed the long-rumoured project would be going ahead in an interview with the Leader-Post Tuesday.

In fact, Harvard bought up some nearby properties several years ago in expectation of the second tower being built adjacent to the FCC building, which was constructed to accommodate FCC's relocation from Ottawa to Regina in 1992.

"The original (FCC) building was always designed for a second tower,'' Hill Blaisdell said. "We bought some additional land to be able to create a larger floor plate for the tenant,'' she said,

FCC has employees located in a number of locations throughout the city and the new building would enable the federal Crown corporation to consolidate its head office operations in the two buildings, she said. "It was (FCC's) desire to consolidate and provide their staff an opportunity to be in one complex for efficiency and to accommodate their longer-term expectations around growth.''

In fact, FCC has been looking for more office space in downtown Regina since 2009 and issued a request for proposal (RFP) in 2010. Harvard submitted a bid to the RFP and was accepted as the successful bidder later in 2010, Hill Blaisdell said.....

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/business/H...#ixzz1rhVRwydZ

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #186
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Redevelopment plans altered after Regina Masons say no to selling building

By Kerry Benjoe, Leader-PostMay 28, 2012 10:01 PM

REGINA — Plan B is in the works for the development of Regina’s Central Library, which may or may not mean the development of a downtown cultural centre.

On Monday, after consulting all its members the Regina Masons announced it will not sell its historic downtown building.

“It was a significant majority that voted not to sell the building,” said Don Ford, president of the Regina Masonic Temple Company.

Darlene Hincks Joehnck, chair of the library board, said she respects the Mason’s decision not to sell.

“We always said we were looking at many different plans for the library and that was one that included the cultural centre and the Globe (Theatre),” she said. “Now that they have decided not to sell, we will have to look at our other options.”

Last June, city council endorsed the Cultural Centre Redevelopment Project, in which not only would the main tenants have been the library and theatre but there was a possibility the facility could include museums, offices, stores, eateries and even a hotel.

Hincks Joehnck said the options will involve taking a closer look at what can be done for the library using the existing land and determine if a cultural centre can be built on the property without the Mason’s land.

“We will have to have some meetings and just go back and discuss our other options,” she said.

Ford said the library expressed interest in the property a couple of years ago.

“There was nothing really formal offered to us until November,” said Ford. “At that time, the realtor brought to us a confidential terms paper with terms of an offer that they would be prepared to put into an offer at any time.”......

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Redev...#ixzz1wEFPSDgJ

Old August 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #187
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Regina's housing starts nearly double from 2011

By Tonaya Marr, Leader-PostAugust 9, 2012

New housing under construction in Harbour Landing in southwest Regina with newly constructed apartments in the background on August 09, 2012.
Photograph by: Don Healy, Regina Leader-Post

REGINA -- According to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, 2012 housing starts have almost doubled those at this time in 2011.
According to the CMHC's monthly survey of residential construction, 1,688 housing units have been started in since Jan., compared to 847 in the same time period in 2011. Housing starts for the month of July reached 263, 116 more than in July 2011.

The year-to-date number of housing starts in 2012 is quickly approaching the total number of housing starts — 1,694 — for all of 2011. The 2012 number has already surpassed the total for each year in the past decade.

According to Stu Niebergall, executive director of the Regina and Region Home Builders' Association, the housing industry in Regina is running on all cylinders trying to accommodate the demand for housing. According to Niebergall, this kind of demand for housing in Saskatchewan hasn't been seen since the 1970s.

"It's reflective of a strong economy, strong net migration to the city and confidence in the marketplace," said Niebergall.
The busy housing industry has plenty of benefits — approximately 4,900 jobs were created in construction, renovation and related fields, according to Niebergall.

"It's really one of the largest employers in the region," he said.

All the housing construction generates $250 million in wages and has an investment value of approximately $700 million, according to Niebergall.

Through taxation on the new homes, governments also benefit.

"The charges related to home building generates million and millions of dollars for both the province and the federal government," said Niebergall.
Of course, there's a downside to the housing boom. Niebergall said both the industry and the government have underestimated the pace of growth of Regina. The supply of serviced lots is currently outstripping the demand.

"That has the potential to certainly put upward pressure on housing prices again," said Niebergall.
Housing prices in Regina have been an issue for a while — the average price in July was $313,917 —, and while more houses are being built, a concern exists regarding the availability of affordable housing.

"Not everybody is benefiting from the economic boom," said Regina Salvation Army spokesman Chad Jeremy. "Every time we hear on the news that the housing prices have gone up, the question that we should be asking ourselves is 'who's being left behind?'"

According to Jeremy, Regina's Salvation Army has seen a rise of the working poor, people who have jobs but are unable to afford rent or mortgages.
"They can only pay their bills, or pay their housing prices and not afford to pay to eat," said Jeremy of reasons why people are seeking the Salvation Army's services. "We have a wide array of issues that we face here at the Salvation Army."

Affordable housing would help alleviate the stress of housing prices, but government programs are trying to play catch up to the rising demand.
Though Jeremy made it clear that the Salvation Army doesn't place blame for the lack of affordable housing, they hope that over time, more housing will be built to meet the need.

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/Test777/70...#ixzz237RWoZRV

Old October 15th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #188
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Regina City Council okays CP land deal

By Terrence McEachern, Leader-Post October 10, 2012

It was the end of an era Tuesday night for three Regina city councillors and Mayor Pat Fiacco.

But any sentiments took a back seat as council unanimously approved a $7.5-million land deal to purchase 17.39 acres of CP rail land south of Dewdney Avenue.

The land is part of the $1 billion Regina Revitalization Initiative (RRI), which includes a $278-million, open-air stadium at Evraz Place and an estimated $650 million of private funding for commercial, retail and mixed housing on both the CP land and the site of Mosaic Stadium.

Council heard from John Hopkins, CEO of the Regina and District Chamber of Commerce.

Hopkins described the RRI as a "once in a lifetime opportunity that must be pursued" and more than a new stadium.

Allan Kirk, a city council candidate for Ward 6, raised concerns about the residential component, alleging the land is "probably ... heavily contaminated with highly toxic industrial waste including that most dangerous of pollutants." The cleanup costs could cost "hundreds of millions of dollars," he said.

Council had no questions for Kirk after his presentation.

Brent Sjoberg, deputy city manager and RRI project lead, responded by saying the land was "cleaner" than other areas of the site.

The $600,000 identified in a city report for environmental remediation would cover the cleanup costs, said Sjoberg.

Speaking to council and the gallery, Fiacco said the RRI is an "incredible opportunity" to redevelop inner-city land and the purchase agreement is a "fair one and one that is going to benefit the City of Regina for a long time."

Besides the purchase price and the cost of environmental remediation, $500,000 if the city chooses to remove two rail bridges crossing Broad Street and $1 million for site preparation. The city is required to pay a $750,000 deposit with the remaining amount due by Jan. 31, 2013. To cover the costs, the city will transfer $9.6 million from its general reserve fund.

Before relocating to the Global Transportation Hub, CP will remain on the land until July 2014 under a leasing agreement. If the city purchased the entire 33-acre plot of land as originally planned, it would have been required to pay $30 million to relocate CP operations elsewhere, according to the report...

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/business/R...#ixzz29KQYocnP

Old June 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #189
gan4volta

Likes (Received): 59

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-J.W.Goethe

Yellow Fever liked this post
gan4volta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #190
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Thanks for the update! What project is it?

Old July 8th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #191
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

image hosted on flickr

Regina Construction by daryl_mitchell, on Flickr
The Gardens on Rose, a 15-storey condo tower under construction in downtown Regina.

Old July 8th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #192
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

image hosted on flickr

London Drugs Regina in construction by Julian Sanders, on Flickr

Old July 8th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #193
gan4volta

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Thanks for the update! What project is it?
Suppose to be 201 2300 BROAD Street condo project.
At least I saw it in that central area)
http://reginacondoguide.com/recip.ht...chResults.form

-J.W.Goethe
gan4volta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #194
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6078562...-dzHuyx-dz6oTy

Two construction cranes and a fantasy colourisation of the sky at the University of Regina campus in Regina, Saskatchewan.

Old August 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #195
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

image hosted on flickr

#UofR Residence Construction by computer_saskboy, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4370840...-bnXrsK-bapwFa

Old November 6th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #196
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 352

Some updates from Regina, as I can see Y.F. was the last to contribute over 2 months ago.

It would appear the I and Yellow Fever may need to clone our selves to insure proper representation for the cities in Western Canada.

Agriculture Place in Regina

SITE PREP UNDERWAY

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Centre Square Condominiums
image hosted on flickr

GARDEN ROSE
Nearing completion

Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #197
in'sauga

Likes (Received): 19

Thanks for posting updates. I'm always interested to see what's being built in Saskatchewan. Would love to see recent pics of Regina's skyline with the newest office tower incorporated. I can't remember the name (mosaic perhaps?) but it completes a trifecta of office towers in the core. Any pics are welcome.

cheers!
in'sauga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #198
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

REGINA CITY CENTER & SKYLINE

Ill try to do the best I can to present pics of the Saskatchewan Capital City

I will add more later, but I there is something that just came up that will prevent me from continuing now.

Old February 15th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #199
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Regina has a number of big projects coming down the road this year & a beautiful new football stadium as well.

This project was first talked about in late 2011 if you can believe it

The Much anticipated Capital point

Regina will have in my opinion one of the top 3 best looking stadiums in Canada, once this is finished.

Old February 17th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #200
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

sexy looking stadium.