daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #21
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
I love how the NO side keep repeating "Vote NO to end austerity"!!! As if upon rejection of the Treaty the National Debt will wipe itself out and the National Accounts will mysteriously balance
Exactly! Funnily enough a rejection of the treaty would lock us out from further ESM funding and mean we'd have to balance the books a lot faster (if we can't return to the bond markets, that is), which would mean much tougher austerity in a much shorter time-frame.

I also don't get how voting no will get rid of property taxes or water charges?

On a side note, the far-left in Ireland must be the only parties of their kind anywhere in the world who are against property taxes (which is ironic since they keep calling for a 'wealth tax', yet 72% of Irish wealth is bound up in property and the rest is in forms which can easily be moved overseas).
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #22
odlum833

Likes (Received): 551

Éamon deVelera's grandson risks sparking a split in Fianna Fáil

Quote:
Éamon Ó Cuív faces 'monumental decision'
Updated: 22:23, Monday, 7 May 2012

Fianna Fáil TD Éamon Ó Cuív says he has a monumental decision to make in the next 24 hours about whether to leave the party.

The development comes after Deputy Ó Cuív received a letter this weekend from the party whip asking him to refrain from media interviews camaigning for a No vote in the fiscal treaty referendum.

The former minister told RTÉ News that the implication of the letter was quite clear: he would have to leave the party if he did not agree.

He said he would think about its contents over the next day and come to a decision tomorrow. The politician said he faced a stark choice.

It is understood the letter was sent to Mr Ó Cuív at his request following discussions with the party whip on Friday and Saturday.

The letter contained reminders about party policy and a pledge TDs sign with Fianna Fáil promising to adhere to party policy.

Fianna Fáil Whip Seán Ó Fearghaíl confirmed that a letter was sent to Mr Ó Cuív but he said it did not mention potential expulsion.

Mr Ó Cuív resigned as the party's deputy leader in February when he said he could not support the party's position in favour of the fiscal treaty.

RTE

We gain nothing with a "no" vote. Vote "yes".

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; May 8th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #23
thebig C

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Éamon deVelera's grandson risks sparking a split in Fianna Fáil

We gain nothing with a "no" vote. Vote "yes".
Christ, as if Dev Og couldn't get more unappealing....now he's an opportuinist as well as everything else!

One does wonder though....are FF trying to be too clever by half?! Have Dev Og oppose the treaty and then rejoin after the vote....would you put it past them or do I give them too much credit!!
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #24
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmalojin View Post
Exactly! Funnily enough a rejection of the treaty would lock us out from further ESM funding and mean we'd have to balance the books a lot faster (if we can't return to the bond markets, that is), which would mean much tougher austerity in a much shorter time-frame.

I also don't get how voting no will get rid of property taxes or water charges?

On a side note, the far-left in Ireland must be the only parties of their kind anywhere in the world who are against property taxes (which is ironic since they keep calling for a 'wealth tax', yet 72% of Irish wealth is bound up in property and the rest is in forms which can easily be moved overseas).
Unbelievable. The only policy they have is this "wealth tax".....and they are decidedly vague about who exactly is wealthy! IMO, you'd probably qualify for the tax once you work for a living and don't vote extreme left!!

I have even heard some of their talking heads advocating taxing foreign assets should wealthy people try to move money abroad! Hmmmm immagine if Barack Obama were to tax all the assets American Coporations and Individuals held in Ireland....how would that work out for us???!!!

Also, say they could raise the 5 billion from a weailt tax, and 5 billion is an awfully convenient round figure......thats only a tiny part of our deficit. Given that SF/ULA oppose Water Charges and Local Taxes as you say Catmalojin, and given that SF in their budget submission proposed free meals for ALL school children......where does the rest of the money come from??!!

Nobody ever asks the answer to those questions

C
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #25
odlum833

Latest red c opinion poll shows "yes" side lead is becoming unassailable for the "no" side.

http://media.tcm.ie/media/documents/...fPollMay18.pdf

Old May 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #26
JD47

Likes (Received): 189

I am definetly voting No now after watching the Eurovision. Fuck Europe.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #27
Seravia

Likes (Received): 5

Is that a joke?
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #28
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravia View Post
Is that a joke?

Yes.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #29
Seravia

Likes (Received): 5

Oh. My apologies then.
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #30
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravia View Post
Oh. My apologies then.

No need to apologize my friend.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:09 PM   #31
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I am definetly voting No now after watching the Eurovision. Fuck Europe.
Well....I have actually heard worse excuses...believe me!
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM   #32
thebig C

I am still sticking to my predictions that it will be passed, however, it think the result will be very close!

The turnout is low and I have a sneaking suspicion that No voters my be more strongly motivated!
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:27 PM   #33
odlum833

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:26 PM   #34
JD47

Quote:
I am still sticking to my predictions that it will be passed, however, it think the result will be very close!

The turnout is low and I have a sneaking suspicion that No voters my be more strongly motivated!
I dont know. A lot of people I have asked are voting no. Basically most of the people I have asked said that they are voting no.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:40 PM   #35
thebig C

Quote:
I dont know. A lot of people I have asked are voting no. Basically most of the people I have asked said that they are voting no.
I actually haven't spoken to too many about it....I have found that the No voters are much more vocal, agressively so!

Looking at the turnout figures just now, I think it could actually be a No.

One one hand, if the No side wins the Sinners will be all over the place. On the other, I think a No vote will cause so many problems that it might ultimately highlight the fact that the No to everything brigade are talking crap!
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:17 AM   #36
JD47

Quote:
Looking at the turnout figures just now, I think it could actually be a No.

I cant believe what I have just heard. Over half the voters didn't turn up. Is a disgrace and I cant believe I am going to say this but people in this country deserve what they get now. People died for our right to vote. Its an outrage and I am disgusted. If you didn't vote then you dont get to complain if something goes wrong. Thats how I look at it now.

To be fair thougn if its a matter of you couldn't vote then fair enough and my anger is not pointed towards those people and I understand if some people just couldn't vote.

Sorry for the rant lads.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM   #37
thebig C

Quote:
I cant believe what I have just heard. Over half the voters didn't turn up. Is a disgrace and I cant believe I am going to say this but people in this country deserve what they get now. People died for our right to vote. Its an outrage and I am disgusted. If you didn't vote then you dont get to complain if something goes wrong. Thats how I look at it now.

To be fair thougn if its a matter of you couldn't vote then fair enough and my anger is not pointed towards those people and I understand if some people just couldn't vote.

Sorry for the rant lads.
You are spot on here. This Treaty whilst not an end in itself was actually fairly important.

Ironically, I'l bet its the individuals who didn't vote who do the most moaning!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: