daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Old May 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1301
K_

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
As for translucent glasses peeking into the cabin, I'm glad they are getting rid of that security failure.
Why is that a security failure? For DB it used to be even a source of extra income...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1302
aleander

Likes (Received): 0

He is afraid of terrorists breaking in and steering trains into skyscrapers.
aleander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1303
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 5670

I read that they are going to cancel the Nurberg-Praha train service as of Dec. 2012. It was apparently killed by bus competition (the market is heavily concentrated in both cities and the trains stops too much, thus slower).

They'd route services currently running on that route to Münche Hbf.

=============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Why is that a security failure? For DB it used to be even a source of extra income...
Terrorists could gain access to the driver's cabin and take control, if only for a few moments, of a train, like deploying emergency braking in a rural stretch of tracks then having armed men in the wood gunning down passengers as they exit the trains - for instance.
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #1304
aleander

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Terrorists could gain access to the driver's cabin and take control, if only for a few moments, of a train, like deploying emergency braking in a rural stretch of tracks then having armed men in the wood gunning down passengers as they exit the trains - for instance.
Y'know, if they can pull that off, they could just mine the tracks. And before you think that fencing the tracks off is enough, there's RPGs, molotov cocktails and remote-detonation IEDs. Because Germany is like Afghanistan, man.
aleander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1305
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
And they can't do that when the panel and the door is made out of wood or plastic, as opposed to sturdy glass? :')
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1306
KingNick
Saupreißn - WM Edischn

Likes (Received): 4144

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
And they can't do that when the panel and the door is made out of wood or plastic, as opposed to sturdy glass? :')
All you have to do is weld the train driver into a frame made out of steel. No doors. Just to piss those train hatin' terrorists off!
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1307
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
All you have to do is weld the train driver into a frame made out of steel. No doors. Just to piss those train hatin' terrorists off!
But then you risk those damn terrorist sabotaging the tracks, so we should give the driver some way to avert potential upcoming danger...
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1308
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:

Oh Subby, you so cray...
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:17 AM   #1309
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 204

C'mon, we're not americans, we don't give a damn about that terrorists bullshit.
We're fine europeans, you must tell us some eco-snob lie to make us take idiotic decisions

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:15 AM   #1310
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 5670

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I'm obviously thinking of kevlar-reinforced separation, like they have in cockpit doors these days.
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM   #1311
K_

Quote:
I'm obviously thinking of kevlar-reinforced separation, like they have in cockpit doors these days.
There is a big difference between a plane and a train. You can't take a train to Cuba.
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:37 AM   #1312
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
C'mon, we're not americans, we don't give a damn about that terrorists bullshit.
The reason why we don't see more terrorist attacks is not that somehow our anti terrorism measures are effectual. They aren't. Most of them don't even make sense.
The truth is that there are not a lot of terrorists around. Maybe a few 10s or people. And most of them are already on the radar of the worlds intelligence services...

What the TSA does in the US is pure theater, a performance to make us feel safe. It doesn't actually make us safer, costs a lot of money and adds inconvenience to travel. So please don't expand this program to trains too.

One of my best train rides was from Split to Zagreb, where I started to make pictures from behind the glass partition separating the driver's cabin from the passenger area, and promptly got invited in by the driver!
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1313
K_

Quote:
Terrorists could gain access to the driver's cabin and take control, if only for a few moments, of a train, like deploying emergency braking in a rural stretch of tracks ...
You are aware that you don't need access to the driver's cabin to force a train to make an emergency stop?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #1314
Baron Hirsch
Haydarpasha Passenger

Likes (Received): 191

Suburbanist has a way of creating his great jokes and all of you keep falling for them like Pavlov's Dog. This one is even too funny for the most paranoid mind, I would think.
Let us get realistic. Recent terrorism on trains -
1. Sapsan derailed by Chechen separatists (Moscow - Petersburg)
2. Bomb detonated on commuter rail (Madrid)
3. Gas attack on metro station (Tokyo)
None of these include the driver seat. Unlike planes or cars, trains are not self-sufficient vehicles. If misused, they can be forced to brake by anyone on board, their electricity can be cut-off from outside, they can be rerouted, etc.
Any security problem for people wanting to engage in wanton mass slaughter is concerned with uncontrolled passenger access; no or not highly secure access to operating grounds. Changing this would be a heavy financial burden on operators (turning all subway stations into mini-airports with x-rays, bodychecks, etc.), would violate what is left of our civil liberties, cause immense congestion at entries and exits.
But maybe this will be the 21st century: total security, control of movement, no crossing the street without having your pupils scanned first....
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1315
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Changing this would be a heavy financial burden on operators (turning all subway stations into mini-airports with x-rays, bodychecks, etc.), would violate what is left of our civil liberties, cause immense congestion at entries and exits.
And therefore useless. Just apply bomb, poison gas, automatic gunfire etc. to the passengers queuing to pass wherever the arms control checkpoint is - the casualties will be the same as if there had been no checkpoint to begin with.
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1316
XAN_

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
1. Sapsan derailed by Chechen separatists (Moscow - Petersburg)
Not Sapsan, but Nevskiy Ekspress.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1317
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
And therefore useless. Just apply bomb, poison gas, automatic gunfire etc. to the passengers queuing to pass wherever the arms control checkpoint is - the casualties will be the same as if there had been no checkpoint to begin with.
Exactly. Iraqi insurgents didn't take long to realise that a checkpoint where dozens of people are waiting to go through is as good a target as any.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #1318
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 3493

Now some serious railway news:

The construction of the Wendlingen <---> Ulm high-speed railway line has been kicked-off:

Facts

Costs: 2,9 billions €uro
Length: 60 km (30 km of tunnels)
Vmax: 250 km/h
Number of tracks: 2

Wendlingen–Ulm high-speed railway (wikipedia)

I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.

What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #1319
KingNick
Saupreißn - WM Edischn

Likes (Received): 4144

Tunnel ratio 0.5, that almost meets Austrian standards of how a new railway line has to look like.
I see a lot of Verkehrswegebündelung there. Good thing!

BTW: Upgrade München - Salzburg to HSR already!
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1320
gramercy
hvorfor ikke

Likes (Received): 460

if 30 km is in tunnels, can anyone tell me a GOOD reason why it isn't 300+ kph?