daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:20 PM   #81
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 215

I love it. I can't wait until the birds nest like steel work goes on around the windows though. How would they be putting that in place though since the scaffolding has gone?, one of those scissor cranes?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #82
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 30

I think it will be craned in, probably fabricated as one big panel or two or three smaller panels off site. Looks like there are some steels protruding from the glazed area on the left to accommodate it.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #83
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Strokes chin

An expressive, nay, impressive piece of single-storey 1970s functional vernacular, an early example of postmodern employment of sustainable materials coupled with positively Miesian glazing. A definite candidate for Grade I listing.
The architect is FaulknerBrowns.

Looking at the INTO website it has a 'Pre-Sessional' English course for the core overseas students who need to have their English improved before they can start their studies.
Ten week course at £3,400!!
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #84
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Looking at the INTO website it has a 'Pre-Sessional' English course for the core overseas students who need to have their English improved before they can start their studies.
Aye, and very little of that ends up in the ESOL tutor's paycheques! Meh, we don't do it for the money!

BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #85
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Aye, and very little of that ends up in the ESOL tutor's paycheques! Meh, we don't do it for the money!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 25th, 2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Final paragraph moved to "Haymarket Hub" thread
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #86
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 367

INTO Newcastle University being built by Balfour Beatty as at 03/06/12

Further to last batch of pictures on this project, dated 22/05/12 here are some further photographs taken by myself on 03/06/12 approx 1100 (hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of work on this project

North end of Percy Street/Barras Bridge elevation with nearly all of scaffold stripped (NOT "Northumberland St" as captioned on previous post)

Relationship with adjoining properties

Rear elevation

Not that much more to see on other elevations of the development

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #87
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Thanks for the pictures Ken.

I still don't like the terracotta tiles, they should have been "Newcastle stone" cladding all around. It looks like the copper is weathering already.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM   #88
Ken O'Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Thanks for the pictures Ken.

I still don't like the terracotta tiles, they should have been "Newcastle stone" cladding all around. It looks like the copper is weathering already.

According to the notice boards giving information on what has taken place recently/due to take place, the roof sheeting is not copper but "Brass"

KEN
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:13 PM   #89
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
According to the notice boards giving information on what has taken place recently/due to take place, the roof sheeting is not copper but "Brass"

KEN
Oh right, that would mean it shouldn't eventually turn green.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #90
elliott

Likes (Received): 11

Not as keen on the rear elevation, just a little boring in comparison but probably more practical.

Completes the streetscape, only need the Oxfam site filled now.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #91
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Really? I do. :p

Quote:
The architect is FaulknerBrowns.

Yeah, its mad how much money they make.
This pre-sessional thing isn't optional either, that's the one the uni makes students take if they're not up to snuff. I wonder how much of that money the uni gets from shunting students INTO's way.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #92
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 55

I don't think this is as good an addition to the streetscape as King's Gate, and not keen on the wonky windows (or should I pretend to architectural knowledge and refer to 'irregular fenestration'?) on the stone facade to Percy Street. On the other hand, on that site more or less anything is better than the gap. Only Oxfam Corner to go!

Viewing from along St Mary's Terrace in my experience gives the odd optical illusion that the building is barely a few feet behind the South African War Memorial. I suppose again that is a result of there having been nothing behind the memorial for the best part of the last forty years.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #93
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I don't think this is as good an addition to the streetscape as King's Gate, and not keen on the wonky windows (or should I pretend to architectural knowledge and refer to 'irregular fenestration'?) on the stone facade to Percy Street. On the other hand, on that site more or less anything is better than the gap. Only Oxfam Corner to go!

Viewing from along St Mary's Terrace in my experience gives the odd optical illusion that the building is barely a few feet behind the South African War Memorial. I suppose again that is a result of there having been nothing behind the memorial for the best part of the last forty years.

Yes, the streetscape along that stretch of Percy Street is now more 'complete' than it has been since the ABC Haymarket Cinema and adjacant Haymarket Pub were demolished in 1987 . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post

What used to be on the Herschel carpark (this must be mid 80s)

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian
Yes, that building is the ABC Haymarket that I mentioned in my previous response to Geordie about the Essoldo. The Essoldo's 'first' name change was to ABC 1 & 2 when it became a 'stablemate' of ABC Haymarket.

The 'ABC Haymarket' too, was an excellent cinema and not a bad building either. It's demolition to make way for the University Car Park and those 'mature trees' they planted, which has now itself made way for the start of the 'INTO' building, was reported in 1987 (below). The Haymarket Pub was demolished around the same time, for the same reason . . .

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #94
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Yes, the streetscape along that stretch of Percy Street is now more 'complete' than it has been since the ABC Haymarket Cinema and adjacant Haymarket Pub were demolished in 1987 . . .
Apologies, hadn't realised the site was cleared that recently. I had assumed (wrongly) that it was done in the 1970s in readiness for the West Central Motorway.
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #95
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 20

What strikes me as rather queer with the new building is the way it sticks out so much on that photo looking from near blackwells.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #96
thenorthumbrian
thenorthumbrian

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Further to last batch of pictures on this project, dated 22/05/12 here are some further photographs taken by myself on 03/06/12 approx 1100 (hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of work on this project

North end of Percy Street/Barras Bridge elevation with nearly all of scaffold stripped (NOT "Northumberland St" as captioned on previous post)

Relationship with adjoining properties

Rear elevation

Not that much more to see on other elevations of the development

KEN
I particularly think the view from St Mary's place is a lot better with the new uni building framing the South Africa monument.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM   #97
Ken O'Heed

INTO Newcastle University being built by Balfour Beatty as at 23/06/12

Further to last batch of pictures on this project here are some further photographs taken by myself on 23/06/12 approx 1030 (hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of work on this project to the St Thomas Street elevation, now that hoardings have been removed

For information

Hoardings at ground floor level are still up to the Percy St/Barras Bridge elevation

KEN
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #98
Ken O'Heed

INTO Newcastle University being built by Balfour Beatty as at 26/06/12

Further to last batch of pictures on this project, here are some further photographs taken by myself on 26/06/12 approx 1115 (hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of work to end building at north end Percy St/ Barras Bridge and adjacent properties etc

KEN
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #99
Ken O'Heed

INTO Newcastle University being built by Balfour Beatty as at 15/07/12

Further to last batch of pictures on this project (post 96 dated 23/06/12) here are some further photographs taken by myself on Sunday 15/07/12 approx 1045 showing current state of work on this project to groundworks, drainage etc the area rear of Percy Street/Barras Bridge elevation and also the area that is be open space access point (hosted on Photobucket)

KEN
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #100
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

The front of the building is now complete and looks fantastic. I wasn't able to grab any pictures but I'm sure someone on here will be passing by sometime soon.

Newcastle Metro Area

Tags
construction, development, developments, education, newcastle, newcastle students, newcastle university, project, project - newcastle area, projects, student accomodation, students, universities, university