daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #141
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
Damn, O I was going by what Sefton said.
National Express do not run any train services in the West Midlands.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #142
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 1300

How many jobs did they axe last year? I remember it being a lot, not sure if it was more than the 1,700 though.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON, GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #143
sefton66

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
Damn, O I was going by what Sefton said.
Ill re word that..

Includes 125 jobs at an "academy" to TEACH drivers
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #144
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Ill re word that..

Includes 125 jobs at an "academy" to TEACH drivers
BUS drivers
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM   #145
sefton66

Breakdown of the monthly figures for the region...

Area.........................Feb %.......Mar %
Ladywood...................12.4%.......12.4%
Hodge Hill...................10.7%......10.6%
Sparkbrook.................9.8%........9.6%
Erdington.....................9.3%........9.3%
Perry Barr.....................8.0%........8.1%
Sutton Coldfield............2.9%........2.8%
Yardley........................7.4%........7.3%
Edgbaston....................6.3%........6.3%
Northfield.....................6.6%........6.5%
Selly Oak......................5.7%........5.5%
Tamworth.....................3.5%........3.4%
Warwickshire N..............3.2%........3.1%
Meriden........................5.2%........5.2%
Coventry NW.................4.6%........4.5%
Rugby..........................2.6%.........2.6%
Warwick.......................2.5%.........2.3%
Stratford......................1.6%.........1.6%
Solihull........................2.5%.........2.4%
Hall Green....................6.2%.........6.2%
Bromsgrove..................3.2%.........3.1%
Redditch......................4.1%.........3.9%
Worcestershire..............2.7%........2.6%
Wyre Forest..................4.0%........3.9%
Halesowen....................5.9%........5.9%
Stourbridge...................4.8%........4.7%
Dudley S.......................5.5%........5.5%
Dudley N.......................6.3%........6.2%
West Brom W................8.1%........8.1%
West Brom E.................7.4%.........7.4%
Aldridge........................4.2%........4.1%
Walsall S.......................8.6%........8.5%
Walsall N.......................7.7%........7.6%
Wolverhampton SE.........9.2%.........9.2%
Wolverhampton NE.........8.3%.........8.2%
Wolverhampton SW........7.3%.........7.4%
South Staffs..................3.0%.........2.8%
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #146
sefton66

Quote:
Unemployment falls by 19,000 in West Midlands
by Graeme Brown, Birmingham Post May 16 2012

Unemployment has plummeted by 19,000 in the West Midlands in the last quarter – accounting for a large chunk of a 45,000 UK-wide fall.

The jobless total in the region now stands at 228,000, a rate of 8.5 per cent, in the quarter to March, after a third consecutive month of falls.

Across the UK, the jobless total was 2.6 million in the quarter to March, the lowest since last summer, while the number of people claiming jobseeker’s allowance last month was down by 13,700 to 1.59 million.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/news/w...#ixzz1v3QQqMFA
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #147
sefton66

Quote:
Jobs boost at Birch Coppice Business Park
by Enda Mullen, Birmingham PostJun 11 2012

Around 3,000 jobs are set to be created at a former Midland colliery site in a major extension to one of the region’s biggest employment success stories.

Developer IM Properties has unveiled plans for a third development phase at the Birch Coppice Business Park, near Tamworth, which will see it double in size.

The former colliery complex, bought from British Coal by IM Properties following the closure of the pit, is set to mushroom in size to employ more than 6,000 workers if the extension is approved.

The new expansion comes less than two years after home delivery firm Ocado agreed to acquire a 35.2 acre site in the Midlands’ biggest commercial property deal of 2010 which will see the online grocer open a £210 million 350,000 sq ft warehouse early next year.

IM Properties development director Kevin Ashfield said: “Birch Coppice has been a tremendous success story for this area and one we are immensely proud of. Companies in the business park already employ more than 3,000 people and this is set to more than double if, as I hope, we gain approval for the proposals.

“We have been in extensive consultation with a number of statutory bodies and would now like to invite residents and businesses to view our proposals and give us their opinions.”

The 35-acre Ocado project marked the second phase of the Birch Coppice regeneration, and the third phase will provide another huge boost to the largest rail-served development site in the West Midlands.

Birch Coppice closed as a colliery in 1987 and employed around 1,000 miners in its heyday. The first phase of the redevelopment, which incorporated the largest UK hub for United Parcel Service, saw 2,500 jobs created.

An outline planning application for the new phase is set to be submitted to North Warwickshire Borough Council next month.

A public exhibition illustrating the proposals will be available for viewing at Dordon Village Hall on June 15 and 16.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz1xWPjEblx
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM   #148
sefton66

Great news for the region, hopefully it carries on

Quote:
Unemployment falls by 18,000 in West Midlands
By Graeme Brown Jun 20 2012
Unemployment has fallen for the third consecutive month in the West Midlands in the lastest sign the region's jobs market is getting back on its feet.

A total of 18,000 people left the jobless queue in the region in the three months to April, meaning a total of 223,000 are now out of work in the region.

The jobless rate in the region now stands at 8.4 per cent after the region out-performed all but London in its employment data in the month period.

The data comes on the back of successive months of positive Purchasing Managers Index reports, suggesting the West Midlands is out-performing other regions in terms of growth.

Across the UK, the Government was hit with a mixed bag of unemployment data today as the headline jobless rate fell but the number of dole claimants rose.

The jobless total dropped 51,000 to 2.61 million in the quarter to April, while the number of people claiming jobseeker's allowance in May rose by 8,100 to 1.6 million, ending two months of declines.

The number of people in work saw its biggest increase since the quarter to August 2010 as the employment rate increased by 166,000 to almost 29.28 million - nearly equally split between full and part-time workers.

Almost eight million people are now in a part-time job, while those working part-time because they cannot find full-time work increased by 25,000 to 1.4 million.

Self-employment has reached a record figure of 4.17 million, up by 84,000 since the previous quarter.

Average earnings increased by 1.4% in the year to April, up by 0.5 percentage points on the previous month due to the timing of bonuses.

Average weekly pay in private firms in April was £5 higher at £465 compared to a year ago.

But other figures from the Office for National Statistics showed that the number of people unemployed for more than a year increased by 85,000 to 886,000.

The number of people unemployed for more than two years rose by 29,000 to 434,000.

The UK's unemployment rate has fallen by 0.2 percentage points to 8.2%, lower than the European average of 10.3%.

Spain has the highest unemployment rate in the EU at 24.3%, while Austria has the lowest at 3.9%.

Youth unemployment has also fallen, down by 29,000 over the latest quarter to 1.01 million.

There were 9.23 million economically-inactive people in the three months to April, a fall of 69,000, mainly due to a reduction in the number of students.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz1yS4nUOmK
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #149
sefton66

Should go towards helping the figures

Quote:
West Midlands firms plan to recruit despite slowing growth
by Cillian OBrien, Birmingham PostJun 28 2012

Nearly a third of all businesses across the West Midlands are seeking to recruit, according to a new survey, despite slowing growth.

Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership said there was further good news around the corner for a region battling against high unemployment, after the number of people out of work fell by 18,000 in the last quarter.

However, statistics in the second quarterly economic survey of 2012 conducted by Birmingham Chamber of Commerce Group in conjunction with the LEP indicated a slowing in growth.

The domestic market for manufacturers remained static with 41 per cent, the same as the previous quarter, reporting an increase in sales but the number with fuller order books dropped to 38 per cent from 41 per cent.

The export market showed a similar picture with 38 per cent reporting a rise, down from 41 per cent, while 34 per cent reported increased orders, down from 42 per cent. A total of 27 per cent said they had increased their investment in plant, machinery and equipment, against 17 per cent in the previous quarter.

LEP chair Andy Street said: “The LEP area appears to be more than holding its own against the backdrop of a tough economic outlook.

“Stronger investment in machinery, plant and training are all good indications that our companies remain optimistic about future growth.

‘‘And it is especially pleasing to see that more businesses are looking to take on additional staff.”

“This is a trend we need to build on if we are to meet our aim of creating 100,000 new private sector jobs by 2020.”

Researchers found that although confidence that they would increase turnover and profitability among manufacturers had dipped slightly, most had revised upwards plans for investment.

Exchange rates and competition remained the biggest areas of concern for manufacturers.

There was a similar picture among service sector companies, although domestic business had increased while exports were down.

But again there was good news on the jobs front with 31 per cent, up from 30 per cent in the previous quarter, saying they were attempting to recruit.

Michael Ward, president of Birmingham Chamber, said: “The figures do show the tremendous resilience of business in the Midlands and they are to be congratulated on their efforts to maintain staffing levels confidence in these difficult times.

“The Government must do all it can to help businesses export more. The West Midlands increased its exports by around £1 billion over the past 12 months and this should be applauded.”

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz1z7DkXBzQ
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #150
sham01

Likes (Received): 11

Desperate jobseeker sets himself alight outside Selly Oak jobcentre

A DESPERATE job seeker set himself alight outside a Birmingham Jobcentre in an alleged row over his benefit payments.

Horrified eyewitnesses saw the man douse himself in flammable liquid after tying himself to railings at the Jobcentre Plus in Harborne Lane, Selly Oak, at around 9.20am.

Cops rushed to the aid of the 48-year-old man and sprayed him with fire extinguishers after he suffered burns to his lower legs.
The sign on the jobcentre door

The building remained closed throughout the day and claimants were told that payments would be made directly to banks. One eyewitness, who did not want to be named, said: “The guy came into the Jobcentre with petrol and made threats, so they evacuated the whole building.

I think it was something to do with a payment he had not received.

“He tied himself to the railings and tore open the bottom of his trousers. You could smell the fumes from the liquid he used, but the police arrived by the time he had set himself alight and they managed to put him out quite quickly.

“He would have to have been very desperate to have done something like that.

“It’s shocking that somebody could have been driven to those depths.”

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said: “Officers were called at around 9.18am to reports that a man had tied himself to railings and was threatening to set himself on fire.

“The man doused himself in liquid and set himself alight
sham01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM   #151
Qoasis777

Likes (Received): 102

I would suggest this man's issues run deeper than unemployment...
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM   #152
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
I would suggest this man's issues run deeper than unemployment...
oh the job centre can drive you to such issues. When i was on it, they refused to let me do work experience so i signed off and struggled for a month and now have a job with the said company i did work experience with.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #153
Qoasis777

But presumably you didn't set yourself on fire?

Well done with the job.

I've worked for Jobcentre plus albeit on Fraud and I'm afraid for every top quality member of staff (and there are many) there's a self entitled dweeb just interested in what's in it for them.

V sad.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM   #154
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
But presumably you didn't set yourself on fire?

Well done with the job.

I've worked for Jobcentre plus albeit on Fraud and I'm afraid for every top quality member of staff (and there are many) there's a self entitled dweeb just interested in what's in it for them.

V sad.
This is true, there are a few great members of staff who have common sense but have their hands tied by policy

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #155
Qoasis777

No that's not correct.
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #156
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

When I was unemployed, I really had to bite my lip hard when I went in the jobcentre. Some were great and helpful. Some were just going through the motions, while one lady in particular was extremely arrogant, rude, vulgar and actually seemed to find it quite difficult to hide her contempt of Unemployed people - Actually dressing down / bollocking her "customers" on a number of occasions in plain earshot of other people.

Like all large organisations you get the good, the bad, and the average. Seems harder to get rid of the Bad and motivate the average in the Public Sector though.
blahblahv2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #157
Qoasis777

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahv2
When I was unemployed, I really had to bite my lip hard when I went in the jobcentre. Some were great and helpful. Some were just going through the motions, while one lady in particular was extremely arrogant, rude, vulgar and actually seemed to find it quite difficult to hide her contempt of Unemployed people - Actually dressing down / bollocking her "customers" on a number of occasions in plain earshot of other people.

Like all large organisations you get the good, the bad, and the average. Seems harder to get rid of the Bad and motivate the average in the Public Sector though.
^ THIS
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #158
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 1345

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahv2 View Post

Why would someone work at a Job Centre if they hate the unemployed?
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #159
Qoasis777

Um...because its a job?

I don't believe its the case for the majority however, don't forget that not all job seekers are pleasant people
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #160
sefton66

not much of a fall last month, but still unemployment down again

Quote:
Unemployment falls in West Midlands but skills remain a problem claim business leaders
Jul 18 2012

Business leaders in the West Midlands have welcomed a drop in unemployment figures but said firms still find it hard to hire because of a lack of basic skills.

Birmingham Chamber of Commerce Group (BCCG) called on the Government to make it easier to recruit and to up-skill the unemployed.

Office for National Statistics unadjusted claimant count figures showed that there was a fall in the number of out of work in Birmingham from 49,767 in May to 49,294 in June.

The latest figures show 10.7 per cent of the economically active in Birmingham are claiming Job Seekers Allowance. And in the West Midlands the claimant count figure fell from 164,526 in May to 162,407 in June.

Michael Ward, president of Birmingham Chamber, said: “Twenty six per cent of service firms reported that they expected their workforce to increase in the three months from quarter two and recruitment in manufacturing also remains robust with 24 per cent reporting that they expect to recruit.

“But many find applicants don’t even have basic English skills.

“There is a complex programme of youth contracts, city deals, a work programme and work experience schemes and it is no wonder that employers and potential employees are confused about how to help people back into work.

“The Chamber is urging the Government to find a way to simplify the routes into the multitude of initiatives and to provide real financial incentives to encourage participation in them.

“The Chamber is also bringing schools and businesses together in an initiative for schools to find out what skills businesses are looking for.”

Between March to May unemployment in the West Midlands was down by 18,000 to 8.4 per cent or 223,000.

Nationally unemployment fell by 65,000 in the same period to 2.58 million.

Mike Ashton, spokesman for the West Midlands Chambers of Commerce, said: “Businesses want to play their part, but it is vital that schools and business continue to work together to ensure the up and coming workforce have employable skills.”

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz210Z7U1FH