daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #5041
Lee480
An unknownC151A

Likes (Received): 1

O.o
Lee480 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5042
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 345

News regarding LTA/SMRT.

Quote:
LTA, SMRT to reduce number of trains pulled out of service
Posted: 15 June 2012 1246 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority and train operator SMRT aim to reduce the number of trains pulled out of service on the North-South and East-West lines by 30 per cent next year. This would help to improve the reliability of train service on these two lines.

A team of engineers from both organisations tasked to look into reducing train disruptions said it has observed an upward trend of train delays lasting less than 10 minutes. This is primarily due to trains being withdrawn from service on the North-South and East-West Lines as a result of ageing assets and increased train frequencies.

In 2009, 243 trains were pulled out service. The figure more than doubled to about 529 last year. This means that for every 100,000 kilometre, 3.19 trains were withdrawn last year, compared to 1.65 in 2009.

And, the number seems to be creeping up again this year. In the first four months of this year, there were 234 train withdrawals. This translates to 3.91 trains withdrawn for every 100,000 kilometre.

The withdrawal of train services, especially during peak travel hours, has inconvenienced commuters.

The team found that the majority of train withdrawals were caused by train and signalling system-related faults. The remaining withdrawals were due to passenger-related incidents, such as when foreign objects were caught between train doors.

To address the train and signalling system-related faults, SMRT will refurbish and replace train components related to major sub-systems, such as the propulsion and pneumatic systems. The propulsion system is responsible for moving the train while the pneumatic system controls parts of the trains such as doors and brake systems.

SMRT will also be replacing older electronic cards and related equipment of the signalling system. A fault in an electronic card can disrupt signals sent between the trains and track equipment, leading to a delay or withdrawal of the train from service.

Over the medium and long term, SMRT will step up its maintenance regime. It is placing more emphasis on replacing and renewing its assets, over and above repairing and maintaining them.

This approach will see SMRT stepping up its maintenance capabilities and resources and taking more pro-active actions to preempt failures before they occur.

In the longer term, SMRT said it will carry out more comprehensive mid-life upgrades of the different generations of trains, as well as track-related replacement work in addition to the ongoing review of its maintenance regime.

These measures are expected to improve reliability further.

SMRT's Executive Vice President, Mr Khoo Hean Siang, said: "With the ageing of our system, SMRT is focussing on 'replacing and renewing'. We are committing the resources to ensure that our MRT system functions safely and reliably to cater to commuters.

"We are looking to use technology and tools to improve our analytical capabilities and spot problems before they strike. We are determined to press ahead with the changes we need to make to ensure that our system is one of the world's best metro systems."

LTA Group Director of Vehicle and Transit Licensing, Mr Colin Lim, added: "Together with SMRT, LTA has taken a deeper and systematic look at the recent train delays. The improvement measures will result in a significant reduction in train faults over the coming months. Going forward, we expect to see greater improvements in train service reliability in the medium and long term."

The team of engineers will continue to meet regularly and identify additional measures and other possible sources of improvements to enhance the reliability of the rail network.

-CNA/ac
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...207755/1/.html

Btw, if you can't see the images I posted, I have deleted them.

Last edited by Mith252; June 15th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Mith252 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #5043
Mith252

Some updates on the fans. Looks like they have finished installing the fans for Jurong East, Buona Vista and Commonwealth, just not operational yet.

Lee480, do help to tell the other side about this. Also, you haven't told them that Buona Vista has Titan gates installed and operational. Thanks for the help.

Old June 19th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #5044
circleline4
Whoop

Likes (Received): 48

Here's a video done by LTA showing the installation of fans for those who follow up.

On a separate issue that I chanced upon on Stomp..
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/st..._suddenly.html
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5045
Mith252

Some news in CNA regarding LTA.

Quote:
LTA to look at improving acceptance process of MRT infrastructure
By Olivia Siong | Posted: 23 June 2012 1745 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is looking at how it can improve its "acceptance process" of rail systems before putting them into service.

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said this is one of the lessons drawn from last year's Circle Line train service disruption.

The acceptance process looks at whether the equipment and installations on new rail structures match LTA's specifications.

Some 27,000 commuters were affected in last September's Circle Line train disruption, which lasted four hours during the morning peak period.

The LTA said on 22 June that the cause was traced to faulty power cables.

Investigations also revealed manufacturing defects on some cables.

LTA will embark on a planned cable replacement programme to change the defective cables for greater MRT service reliability.

Speaking on the sidelines of a community event on Saturday, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said LTA will look at improving its acceptance test of new rail lines.

He added that authorities took some time to investigate last September's Circle Line breakdown, as some defects are not easy to detect.

"Hopefully we will learn from it to improve on it, to improve on the acceptance process of the system. Before the system is put into operation you do extensive testing, but you also do an acceptance process. So we will need to look at it and see how we can improve on the acceptance.

"But some of these defects, let me tell you, are also not easy to pick up. It is not easy to pick up, which is why, we had to have such a long interval between the September Dakota incident and now the release of the investigation because we had to actually send quite a number of batches of the cables for further testing, in order to be able to identify and determine how extensive some of the defects in the cable are."

Mr Lui also gave an update on the Committee of Inquiry (COI) tasked to look into last December's train disruptions on the North-South line.

More than 200,000 commuters were affected in the two major disruptions, which took place on the December 15 and 17 in 2011.

He said the committee, which completed its hearing on 25 May, is finalising its report.

He added the inquiry has been thorough and comprehensive.

"We have already seen some of the possible recommendations that were talked about even as they went through the process of the COI. I believe they are at the end stage of putting together the report and I will await their submission.

"When the recommendations come out, we will of course study them very carefully, look at what else we need to do to make sure we improve on the maintenance and the reliability of the system.

"It will take time and I think it will be a process where we really need to pay stringent attention to what is being done both within SMRT and in time to come what is also done in SBS Transit."

Mr Lui reiterated that improvements have been made already. This includes establishing the joint LTA and SMRT team to investigate faults and problems.

He said the maintenance philosophy has also been re-looked.

Mr Lui said he expects to receive the committee's report soon.

- CNA/ck
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...209450/1/.html

Old June 25th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5046
Mith252

Saw this is asiaone. I guess it is expected. STOMP is just full of crap.

Quote:
Stomp staff sacked over false 'MRT open door photo'
AsiaOne
Monday, Jun 25, 2012

A photograph of an MRT train moving with one set of its doors open, has been found to be false.

A content producer of Singapore's citizen journalism website Stomp had initially claimed that she took the photograph last week.

23-year-old Samantha Francis claimed that she took the photograph herself at Lakeside MRT station last Tuesday night.

Following investigations by Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), Ms Francis eventually admitted that she had taken the image from a post on social networking site Twitter.

The original tweet has since been removed.

On discovering this, Mr Patrick Daniel, editor-in-chief of SPH's English and Malay Newspapers Division, sent a letter to Mr Tan Ek Kia, the interim chief executive of rail operator SMRT, apologising for the incident.

Ms Francis was also sacked by SPH, which owns Stomp, on the same day.

Mr Daniel said in his letter to SMRT: 'My team and I would like to apologise unreservedly to SMRT for this erroneous report by one of our staff. We truly regret the damage this has caused SMRT.'

He added: 'Aside from breaching our professional ethics, what she (Ms Francis) has done goes against all the values that we stand for.'

APOLOGY on STOMP

Statement by STOMP Editor, Azhar Kasman

STOMP would like to apologise for the posting on June 20, supposedly showing an SMRT train that left Lakeside station with one set of doors open. The report, submitted by a STOMP content producer, has been found to be fabricated.

The content producer, Ms Samantha Ann Francis, had submitted the photo to STOMP, claiming that she had taken it when she was at Lakeside MRT Station at 10.15pm on June 19.

Following investigations by our staff, Ms Francis has admitted that she had in fact taken the photo off a posting on Twitter. The original tweet has since been removed.

Ms Francis has been dismissed by Singapore Press Holdings, which owns Stomp.

SPH sent a letter yesterday (24/5) to SMRT's interim CEO Tan Ek Kia apologising for the incident.

Mr Patrick Daniel, editor-in-chief of SPH's English and Malay Newspapers Division, said in the letter: "My team and I would like to apologise unreservedly to SMRT for this erroneous report by one of our staff. We truly regret the damage this has caused SMRT."

He added: "Aside from breaching our professional ethics, what Ms Francis has done goes against all the values that we stand for."

As STOMP editor, I would also like to personally apologise to SMRT and members of the public for this erroneous article in STOMP. I deeply regret that one of our staff breached professional ethics and posted a fabricated report.

I would like to assure the public and all STOMP readers that the website does not tolerate such unethical behaviour.

We will also be reviewing our operating procedures and will do everything we can to prevent such a lapse from recurring.
source: http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%...25-355071.html

Old June 25th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #5047
Mith252

Also, some news on the LTA Masterplan.

Quote:
LTA seeks feedback on Land Transport Masterplan
Posted: 25 June 2012 1612 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is seeking public feedback on its existing and future Land Transport Masterplan.

The plan maps out strategies that will go into formulating the country's transport policies.

The last plan, launched in 2008, saw initiatives such as expanded rail and road networks as well as improved barrier free access to bus and rail stations.

As part of its update, the LTA will gather public views on how the various programmes under the 2008 masterplan can be refined as well as identify new initiatives.

To give feedback, go to this website.
http://talk2lta.lta.gov.sg/ltmp

The portal will host online discussion forums and surveys that the public can participate in.

Detailed information on the scope of the consultation process and the 2008 Masterplan is also available.

Alternatively, members of the public can email the LTA at LTA-LTMP@lta.gov.sg.

The LTA said those who participate stand to win an EZ-Link card worth S$10.

Feedback channels will open till 30 September.

As part of the consultation process, LTA will also carry out a series of focus group discussions, after which views will be consolidated and released with the updated masterplan, which is targeted for 2013.

- CNA/ck
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...209734/1/.html

Old June 25th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #5048
Mith252

Also, with regards to the jet fans / blowers at Commonwealth and Buona Vista, they are operational. Lee480, help to spread the message.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...13993665_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...39968044_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...35754288_n.jpg

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #5049
Mith252

Just checked the other site. It seems that the fans at Yishun and Bedok are operational.

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5050
Seloloving

AMK has them now too.
Seloloving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #5051
Mith252

Yup, saw them yesterday. Not sure if it is operational though.

Old June 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #5052
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 40

As at Sunday they were not.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #5053
Mith252

All right, thanks for the info.

Anyway, found this 2 articles in CNA. Here is the first one.

Quote:
SMRT to increase early bird travel discount to 50 cents from 6 Aug
Posted: 28 June 2012 1027 hrs

SINGAPORE: SMRT will increase the Early Travel discount to 50 cents, from 30 cents from 6 August.

SMRT will also extend this discount to Circle Line stations.

The 50-cent discount will benefit passengers on the North-South East-West Lines (NSWEL), Circle Line (CCL) and Bukit Panjang LRT (BPLRT) who arrive at 14 city area stations before 7.45am on weekdays (Mondays-Fridays, excluding public holidays).

The 14 city area stations are Bugis, City Hall, Dhoby Ghaut, Lavender, Orchard, Outram Park, Raffles Place, Somerset and Tanjong Pagar, and the newly added CCL stations Bayfront, Bras Basah, Esplanade, Marina Bay and Promenade.

SMRT's executive director and interim CEO Mr Tan Ek Kia said: "We are seeing positive results attributable to the Early Travel discount. We are optimistic that when other external factors are aligned, for example, flexi-work hours and lifestyle changes, we will see more shifts."

The early morning travel discount was introduced in June 1997 to encourage travel during morning off-peak hours.

Last October, SMRT raised the discount to 30 cents for commuters who travel early and exit designated stations within the city area before 7.45am, a-15 minute extension.

- CNA/ck
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...210397/1/.html

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #5054
Mith252

And here is the 2nd one.

Quote:
LTA to start 3-month train loading trial
Posted: 28 June 2012 1117 hrs

Train loading trial poster. (Photo: LTA)

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will start a three-month train loading trial from 19 July.

LTA said it's to study how effective train loading information posters are in helping commuters to decide when to start their trips.

The posters use different gradient colours to represent the varying train loading levels at a MRT station from 'less crowded' to 'more crowded' from 7am to 10am on weekdays.

Seven MRT stations have been identified for the trial.

They are Boon Keng station on the North East Line, Bukit Batok station on the North-South East-West Lines, Clementi and Eunos stations on the East-West Line, Toa Payoh station on the North-South Line, Bishan and Serangoon stations on the Circle Line.

LTA said it will evaluate the effectiveness of the posters once the trial is completed before deciding on island-wide implementation.

- CNA/ck
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...210402/1/.html

Old June 30th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #5055
mrtfreak

This was out on Thursday actually, but could only get a photo of it last night.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...82507690_n.jpg

Frankly, I don't think it is very helpful as commuters who ride regularly would already know the peak hour loading pattern without this table.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old June 30th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #5056
ddes

Likes (Received): 236

I friggin' hate these fans. Experienced them in Ang Mo Kio.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #5057
mrtfreak

Care to elaborate? What's the reason for hating them?

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old June 30th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #5058
Mith252

I think the one in Ang Mo Kio is not operational yet as of yesterday so I am not sure what you are trying to say ddes.

Old June 30th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5059
Madrenergic

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
Frankly, I don't think it is very helpful as commuters who ride regularly would already know the peak hour loading pattern without this table.
You might think that they know, but without these posters to remind them, they may not think about it or do anything to change their own schedules.
Madrenergic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #5060
Mith252

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I friggin' hate these fans. Experienced them in Ang Mo Kio.
Went there just now. It definitely works. I can feel the air flowing throughout the station. They are definitely using Navier-Stokes principle, Euler's principle and Bernoulli's equation for the blowers as it seems to increase the velocity of the wind coming into the station. It may not be a powerful as the HVLS fans but it works in ventilating the air.

Oh, btw, Lee480, do help to inform the other site.