daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #11121
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight

Simply stupid use of language...
Simply a pathetic response! I'm perfectly entitled to view my mood, thought and feeling when looking at a picture. You just have no right! I was wondering how long it would be for a fellow West Yorkshireman to attack me just because I prefer Manchester to Leeds in every way, shape and form! I've visited all of the major English cities apart from Bristol and apart from London and Birmingham, none of them including Leeds come anywhere close to Manchester in overall being just a great city with so much to offer. Such trollish behaviour. Only been on this forum for such a short time! :-I

Sponsored Links

Old June 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #11122
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 1406

Calm down mate, nobody cares if you prefer Manchester to Leeds, I'm sure many people in Kirkless and Calderdale do.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #11123
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestYorks2Manchester

Simply a pathetic response! I'm perfectly entitled to view my mood, thought and feeling when looking at a picture. You just have no right! I was wondering how long it would be for a fellow West Yorkshireman to attack me just because I prefer Manchester to Leeds in every way, shape and form! I've visited all of the major English cities apart from Bristol and apart from London and Birmingham, none of them including Leeds come anywhere close to Manchester in overall being just a great city with so much to offer. Such trollish behaviour. Only been on this forum for such a short time! :-I
Bristol will blow your mind, there's nothing like the Clifton Gorge, that whole neighbourhood is like nothing else.
ill tonkso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #11124
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike okane
Wonder if he's a Simply Red fan...
that manc pic is bent
to the right
slightly
No I am not a fan! The reply above to Suburban Knight also applies to you!
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #11125
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
Bristol will blow your mind, there's nothing like the Clifton Gorge, that whole neighbourhood is like nothing else.
+1.

I went to Bristol last year and was amazed by the place. If I was to move away from Nottingham then Bristol (apart from London) would be the place I'd go to.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #11126
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronj09
Calm down mate, nobody cares if you prefer Manchester to Leeds, I'm sure many people in Kirkless and Calderdale do.
I've worked in Leeds for 12 years. I have friends and family in Leeds. I've used Leeds for many personal reasons, dining, nightlife and more over the years. You make it sound like no one from Leeds has similar views and feelings to me. I very much consider myself to be a Leeds local so in that respect it doesn't matter if I live in Leeds or Kirklees. Leeds is a great city with a good skyline, great shopping and more. My views don't diminish Leeds in any way, shape or form. I'm just more purist in regards to these things when you'd think I would be biased to Leeds like most people on this forum.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #11127
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso

Thanks! Bristol is definitely on my to do list and I'm not getting any younger so I also have to check it's nightlife out.
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #11128
mike okane

Likes (Received): 388

Take a chill pill bud,it's just a lot to tek in...You moved from Leeds TO Manchester? AFTER 12 YEARS? theres summat not reet theer old chap,.....no offence.
if you've upset someone and they're after yer, good luck pal....!
mike okane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #11129
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestYorks2Manchester View Post
I've worked in Leeds for 12 years. I have friends and family in Leeds. I've used Leeds for many personal reasons, dining, nightlife and more over the years. You make it sound like no one from Leeds has similar views and feelings to me. I very much consider myself to be a Leeds local so in that respect it doesn't matter if I live in Leeds or Kirklees. Leeds is a great city with a good skyline, great shopping and more. My views don't diminish Leeds in any way, shape or form. I'm just more purist in regards to these things when you'd think I would be biased to Leeds like most people on this forum.
I'm sure there are people in Leeds who prefer Manchester to Leeds.. I've never met any mind you. Most people I know don't really think about anywhere else other than their next holiday destination in Spain or Turkey.

But yah, just because you've been to Leeds a lot for many things doesn't make you a local. Like I said, there's plenty of people in Kirklees, and Calderdale, who will prefer Manchester to Leeds.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #11130
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike okane
Take a chill pill bud,it's just a lot to tek in...You moved from Leeds TO Manchester? AFTER 12 YEARS? theres summat not reet theer old chap,.....no offence.
if you've upset someone and they're after yer, good luck pal....!
I still live in Kirklees. I still work in Leeds. The the rest of your post doesn't make any sense mate. It's no big deal really. I don't know why people are making this whole issue I really big deal.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #11131
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronj09

I'm sure there are people in Leeds who prefer Manchester to Leeds.. I've never met any mind you. Most people I know don't really think about anywhere else other than their next holiday destination in Spain or Turkey.

But yah, just because you've been to Leeds a lot for many things doesn't make you a local. Like I said, there's plenty of people in Kirklees, and Calderdale, who will prefer Manchester to Leeds.
I've met quite a few people from Leeds that have mentioned that they prefer Manchester to Leeds as it offers so much more. Is this really a big deal? It's no different to more people from Leeds supporting Manchester United than Leeds United. It can happen.

How am I not a Leeds local? I spend a big part of my life in Leeds and have done for 12 years? Yes I'm not from Leeds but I live 5 miles away from the Leeds border and 10 miles away from Leeds city centre with the train taking 10 minutes to Leeds. Strange to say that I'm not a local. Usually most people from West Yorkshire on here try to compare West Yorkshire as Leeds' version of the 'WHOLE' of Manchester which it obviously is not as The City of Leeds is Leeds' comparison to the 'WHOLE' of Manchester as essentially, Leeds urban is like the City of Manchester and the City of Leeds is like the 'WHOLE' of Manchester i.e Greater Manchester.
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #11132
Lad 2011
\___Loiner___/

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
I've met quite a few people from Leeds that have mentioned that they prefer Manchester to Leeds as it offers so much more. Is this really a big deal? .
What does Manchester have over Leeds then?
Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #11133
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad 2011 View Post
What does Manchester have over Leeds then?
People have already mentioned this but some of the things are;
Larger metropolis, larger city centre, larger central area, larger on education, larger waterfront, larger on shopping, a metro system, larger on all round transport (for instance have a look at the night bus system), larger arena, larger on sports, larger on media, larger on science, larger on technology, more foreign and domestic visitors, more museums and galleries, larger nightlife, larger celebrity presence, more restaurants, developing faster and better, more city centre railway stations (5-6) depending on where you draw the line). These are just some of the things off the top of my head.

Now what I have mentioned does not diminish Leeds in any way. I love Leeds and it is a great city with still so much to offer but I am sick and tired of people not being realistic and trying to compare Leeds as equal as or better than Manchester. Manchester is the closest thing we have to London in the UK. Now I am not saying everything London has is better than Manchester for example London's nightlife is worse than Manchester's and even Birmingham's and Leeds'. And London certainly is not the be all and end all of things. However, London has a lot to offer to many people so that is where my comparison is. Personally, I'm rather bored of London and prefer Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds but to most people, London would offer them a lot of things.

Manchester offering more does not mean Leeds is a bad city. Why do you Leeds folk think this to be the case? I’ve been reading the forum for three years! Leeds is a great city in its own right. Be happy with that.

Last edited by WestYorks2Manchester; June 14th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
WestYorks2Manchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #11134
Lad 2011
\___Loiner___/

Quote:
People have already mentioned this but some of the things are;
Larger metropolis, larger city centre, larger central area, larger on education, larger waterfront, larger on shopping, a metro system, larger on all round transport (for instance have a look at the night bus system), larger arena, larger on sports, larger on media, larger on science, larger on technology, more foreign and domestic visitors, more museums and galleries, larger nightlife, larger celebrity presence, more restaurants, developing faster and better, more city centre railway station (5-6) depending on where you draw the line). These are just some of the things off the top of my head.

Now what I have mentioned does not diminish Leeds in any way. I love Leeds and it is a great city with still so much to offer but I am sick and tired of people not being realistic and trying to compare Leeds as equal as or better than Manchester. Manchester is the closest thing we have to London in the UK. Now I am not saying everything London has is better than Manchester for example London's nightlife is worse than Manchester and even Birmingham and Leeds. And London certainly is not the be all and end all of things. However, London has a lot to offer to many people so that is where my comparison is. Personally, I'm rather bored of London and prefer Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds but to most people, London would offer them a lot of things.

Manchester offering more does not mean Leeds is a bad city. Why do you Leeds folk think this to be the case? I’ve been reading the forum for three years! Leeds is a great city in its own right. Be happy with that. :-)
Larger somehow means better does it? What a load of bollocks!

after reading that i wouldn't be surprised if you were a Manchester Forumer on a dummy account

Tonkso, can you check is IP matches with other accounts he may have? - it be a good laugh if its someone like Vold
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #11135
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad 2011 View Post
Larger somehow means better does it? What a load of bollocks!

after reading that i wouldn't be surprised if you were a Manchester Forumer on a dummy account

Tonkso, can you check is IP matches with other accounts he may have?
You are right, bigger does not mean better however, we were talking about Manchester offering more than Leeds. The things I mentioned contribute to Manchester offering more. Let me ask you one question. As an example, Manchester being larger on education, would it not offer people more? On a recent publication which someone quoted on the forum, why were there more or less double the number of applications for the Manchester universities combined than any other city? Why do you Leeds folk resort to playing the dummy/troll card? Itís pathetic. I promise you (not that I have to) that I am West Yorkshire born and bred, live here and work here. You Leeds folk just cannot accept this Manchester and Leeds thing. I am a purest and you are not. This sums it up.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #11136

Likes (Received): 342

Alot of what you are saying isn't all true, we will be ahead of Manchester in retail, we are already ahead of Manchester in financing/law (Highest number of major law firms outside of London), education is marginally larger with Leeds second to Manchester (In terms of Uni applications). You've got no proof that Manchester is higher in science as Leeds is already a European leader in Healthcare science (largest teaching hospital in Europe etc). We don't have all the galleries granted but we do have all the production companies (Opera North etc) something that only London also has. Larger nightlife is a subjective as its about the quality rather than the quality, same applies to restaurants too.
10123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #11137
Suburban Knight
ŖANNED

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Chill! I was just commenting on the silly, gushing post, not any issues of your personal allegiance and identity!
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #11138
Lad 2011
\___Loiner___/

Quote:
You are right, bigger does not mean better however, we were talking about Manchester offering more than Leeds. The things I mentioned contribute to Manchester offering more. Let me ask you one question. As an example, Manchester being larger on education, would it not offer people more? On a recent publication which someone quoted on the forum, why were there more or less double the number of applications for the Manchester universities combined than any other city? Why do you Leeds folk resort to playing the dummy/troll card? It’s pathetic. I promise you (not that I have to) that I am West Yorkshire born and bred, live here and work here. You Leeds folk just cannot accept this Manchester and Leeds thing. I am a purest and you are not. This sums it up.
Purest? You mean a realist...

Bigger doesn't always mean better actually, and Manchester is not that much Larger than Leeds on Education thats just it.

We don't resort to listing everyone has a dummy/troll - but it's blatantly obvious you sound like a Manchester forumer who insists Manchester is bigger and better Than everywhere else in the entire solar system... Manchester is a nice city don't get me wrong with a lot going for it but to say it's better than Leeds just because it has certain thing that are Larger is ludicrous.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #11139
WestYorks2Manchester
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10123 View Post
Alot of what you are saying isn't all true, we will be ahead of Manchester in retail, we are already ahead of Manchester in financing/law (Highest number of major law firms outside of London), education is marginally larger with Leeds second to Manchester (In terms of Uni applications). You've got no proof that Manchester is higher in science as Leeds is already a European leader in Healthcare science (largest teaching hospital in Europe etc). We don't have all the galleries granted but we do have all the production companies (Opera North etc) something that only London also has. Larger nightlife is a subjective as its about the quality rather than the quality, same applies to restaurants too.
Your response is fair although debatable. Of course I'm not saying everything in Manchester is bigger and better than in Leeds. There maybe things in Leeds which are bigger and better. My main aim was to talk about Manchester offering more all round. Come on, you have to be fair, Manchester does offer a lot more than Leeds doesn't it (once again this does not diminish Leeds or make it a bad city)? Once again, Leeds is my local city, I love it, and I rely on it for a big part of my life. I think Leeds should be better and more developed than what is and we have to ask ourselves the question why? And also talk about what can be done to get it to the level it deserves. My aim isnít to get involved in city bashing but rather praise the good things about a city in their own right and be honest about which city offers more. I really do hope to have some good discussions with you guys but I really donít want to be attacked etc just because I love Manchester as has been the case. I'm a new member, just remember that.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #11140
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 327

WY2Man - may agree with much of what you say but whether bigger is better is very subjective, many people, as you suggest will not agree with that subjective view.

Anyway, the reason I am keener on larger urban areas was described incredibly well on politicalbetting.com a few months ago.

As you get larger and larger urban areas different communities group together much more, the urban area becomes much less homogenised.

You get muslims, jews, Chinese, Polish, West Indians, Africans, hippies... all grouping together into communities as there are sufficient in the area to form a community - in smaller urban areas there are insufficient people to create these communities. Politicalbetting was looking at this as towns about the size of Swindon and Luton are not big enough for this to start to happen, as such a constituency in those areas is going to be a swing seat as you get a right cross selection of the community all living together - not having grouped together into separate communities away from each other.

Which leads back to the Northren Quarter, the Jewish area along Chetham Hill, the currey Mile in Rusholme with the large Asian subcontinent population, the hippy Chorlton-ites, China town, the large African areas around inner south Manchester etc etc.

Sure, it also leads to massive social problems as the really poor also group together into ghettos, but as someone very fortunate I can make the most of the very varied parts of Manchester that you simply would never find in smaller places such as Leeds.

I'll try to find the politicalbetting piece, was very good.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote