daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

View Poll Results: What is your favorite US inland skyline?
Denver 20 12.99%
Kansas City 3 1.95%
Charlotte 5 3.25%
Los Angeles 25 16.23%
Phoenix 0 0%
Oklahoma City 1 0.65%
Las Vegas 4 2.60%
Houston 16 10.39%
Indianapolis 4 2.60%
Raleigh 0 0%
Dallas 13 8.44%
Minneapolis 29 18.83%
Tulsa 6 3.90%
Atlanta 22 14.29%
Other (specify) 6 3.90%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #61
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeaustin View Post
Chicago duh?! The city seems boring though.
Ancient thread...there were no posts for 7 years until yours.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #62
Otto Racecar

Likes (Received): 5

Not to mention chicago's proximity to a massive body of water called lake michigan. You know... the great lakes. largest fresh water source in the world.. anyways.
Otto Racecar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #63
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Ancient thread...there were no posts for 7 years until yours.
Ignore him, he is easily the most ignorant poster in this forum. He thinks that Chicago is boring because it doesn't have an amusement park. The funny thing is that it actually does. He also thinks that Chicago's boring because it doesn't have Times Square or Hollywood, you know, those tourist traps that we avoid like the plague.

Chicago probably has the most waterfront oriented skyline in the world. The whole city huddles around the water, and some of the buildings are basically on the Chicago river.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDOjN0mAfGQ
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #64
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 8692

The thread title and posts are a bit confusing to me. Rivers and lakes are inland to me. Cities that are not inland touch the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, or Gulf Mexico. Los Angeles is on the Pacific Ocean, but the skyline itself is away from the ocean. I guess that's inland. Houston is a port city that extends to the Gulf of Mexico. Chicago is about as inland as you can get even though its on a huge lake. So do we mean best skyline not actually situated along side a body of water? Do we mean skyline that is not in close proximity to the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean or Gulf of Mexico? Do we mean skyline that has absolutely no ocean access?

My photo threads:

QuantumX está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #65
St.PauliBoy

Likes (Received): 0

WOw! The Mississippi River is so integral to the city of Minneapolis and its downtown....many of the tallest buildings are only a few blocks from the riverfront.
St.PauliBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #66
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
The thread title and posts are a bit confusing to me. Rivers and lakes are inland to me. Cities that are not inland touch the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, or Gulf Mexico. Los Angeles is on the Pacific Ocean, but the skyline itself is away from the ocean. I guess that's inland. Houston is a port city that extends to the Gulf of Mexico. Chicago is about as inland as you can get even though its on a huge lake. So do we mean best skyline not actually situated along side a body of water? Do we mean skyline that is not in close proximity to the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean or Gulf of Mexico? Do we mean skyline that has absolutely no ocean access?
Lake Michigan is connected to the Atlantic Ocean through the Saint Lawrence Seaway. Also, I would count all the great lakes. For example, Lake Michigan has an area of 22,394 sq miles, and a width of 118 miles. It is more of an inland sea, just watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjJ64vWTIY

Old June 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #67
Otto Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Lake Michigan is connected to the Atlantic Ocean through the Saint Lawrence Seaway. Also, I would count all the great lakes. For example, Lake Michigan has an area of 22,394 sq miles, and a width of 118 miles. It is more of an inland sea, just watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjJ64vWTIY
Yeah I don't think alot of people have any concept of how large the great lakes are. I remember going to lake erie with a guy I went to college with from california. He couldn't believe it. I guess it is hard to fathom if you've never seen them.
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #68
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Racecar View Post
Yeah I don't think alot of people have any concept of how large the great lakes are. I remember going to lake erie with a guy I went to college with from california. He couldn't believe it. I guess it is hard to fathom if you've never seen them.
That is precisely my point, so what the hell are we really talking about here?

My photo threads:

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #69
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
That is precisely my point, so what the hell are we really talking about here?
The OP made it seem like he didn't know what he is talking about. I would say any city that is atleast 10 miles away from a inland sea/great lake or ocean. On the other hand, rivers are debatable. I would say that the Arkansas River has an effect on the Tulsa skyline, but I wouldn't say it has the effect a real waterway has.

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #70
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

@ "WeimieLvr," yes it has been seven years since anyone has posted on this thread. Is there a problem sir? lol & @ "Otto Racecar" I am already aware that Chicago is situated on the shores of Lake Michigan, but it's still just about as far inland as you can get on the entire continent of North America, away from all the oceans.
blakeaustin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #71
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
@ "WeimieLvr," yes it has been seven years since anyone has posted on this thread. Is there a problem sir? lol & @ "Otto Racecar" I am already aware that Chicago is situated on the shores of Lake Michigan, but it's still just about as far inland as you can get on the entire continent of North America, away from all the oceans.
Yes, there is a problem. The originator of the thread is probably not still looking for responses. Most people on this site do not dig up 7 year-old threads, but if you feel the need then have at it.

Anyone else care to chime in here?
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #72
Otto Racecar

Quote:
I guess that's where I differ slightly.I always considered anything sitting directly on the great lakes to not really be inland.In fact I've heard it referred to as the north coast or 3rd coast all of my life.Rivers I would consider inland though.Maybe that's just me.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #73
HomrQT
All American City Boy

Likes (Received): 18

LA is not inland and is on the list. Chicago is inland and is not on the list.

I voted other for Chicago.
HomrQT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #74
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
LA is not inland and is on the list. Chicago is inland and is not on the list.

I voted other for Chicago.
I can't consider Chicago inland, Lake Michigan is such a large body of water, and functions just like an ocean, except it is freshwater. It even has 30+ ft waves!

Also, the OP was talking about skylines that don't sit directly on the water. Therefore LA which is over 10 miles from the water is inland. While Chicago and NY which are both like 100 ft from the water are both major waterfronts, and are not inland

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #75
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I can't consider Chicago inland, Lake Michigan is such a large body of water, and functions just like an ocean, except it is freshwater. It even has 30+ ft waves!
And probably a wave higher than that is what sank the Edmund Fitzgerald. It makes me shudder just to think about it.

My photo threads:

Old June 21st, 2012, 05:36 AM   #76
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
And probably a wave higher than that is what sank the Edmund Fitzgerald. It makes me shudder just to think about it.
Yeah it definitely has huge waves. 30 ft is about as high as it gets typically, but if you really want to shudder, wait till I tell you what happened in 1958.

So anyways, in 1958, a earthquake with a magnitude of 9 caused 40 million cubic feet of ice and dirt to fall 3000 ft into the ocean from a mountain in Lituya bay, Alaska, this caused a mega Tsunami of............. 1,720 ft! or 524 meters.

So if it hit Chicago, the only thing it wouldn't hit would be the top 9 feet of the Sears Tower! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Li...ay_megatsunami

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:02 AM   #77
blakeaustin
seasonings greets

^ oh shit!
blakeaustin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM   #78
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 2799