daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 20th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #461
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 155

they are a front runner for neighbourhood planning

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #462
nigeman

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post

Perry Barr/Birchfield's going to need this, what with Tuckers fasterners going soon, Birmingham City uni going soon, derilict empty sites strewn around One Stop ie the old Library, Birchfield Road towers site etc. This area needs some care and attention and a lot of investment.
nigeman no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #463
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 678

Yup, soon Perry Barr will be just flyovers, underpasses and a shopping centre, reminds me of Brent Cross.

ReissOmari no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #464
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
According to my Armed response mates, Balsall Heath is one of the safest parts of Brum, very little crime there in comparison to other areas.

Also, the neighbourhood watch scheme works fantastically well there.

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #465
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 127

News from EGI

Council to eye Brum regeneration plans

Plans for the wide-ranging regeneration of the Aston, Newtown and Lozells areas in Birmingham city centre are to go before Birmingham council on 25 June.

The Aston, Newtown and Lozells Area Action Plan sets out a comprehensive and co-ordinated approach to shaping housing, employment, local centres, community facilities, transport and the environment, to 2026.

The proposals include 1,700 new homes, a new 50-acre business park on Aston Hall Road that will target manufacturing firms, a hotel, access improvements to the A34 at Perry Barr station and a new youth centre.

The growth of Perry Barr and Birchfield is also key, with new housing, 270,000 sq ft of shops, 108,000 sq ft of offices and leisure space. The council is looking for developer contributions for affordable housing, open space, transport infrastructure and employment strategies.

The plan will be submitted for adoption following consideration by cabinet next week. If adopted, work will begin on developing the business park, planning the growth of Perry Barr/Birchfield and on continuing housing regeneration in Newtown.
Spread no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #466
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I had a brief look at that a few months back and I was quite sceptical about how it would work but from looking at what has been done in Balsall Heath so far, it's actually looking really positive. I was expecting it to be quite idealistic and objectionist but they really considered the deeper issues affecting the area and seemed quite frank about the issues.

How this plays out in the future remains to be seen but if the start of the process is anything to go by, this could end up being very successful for the area.

Also liking the sound of the Local Area Action Plan for Nechells et al. It has gone such a massive number of issues and it seems that the council have not been scared in pushing through some experimental solutions - especially with the housing.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:58 AM   #467
nigeman

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
May be nothing, but security fencing as gone up round Gallan's Lancaster Circus/Vesey street car park site, preventing access. The site where the new student tower development is planned...

Turns out it was nothing. Rang Gallan parking today and asked them what was going on. Apparently some legal hitch meant they had to close the car park temporarily. Opening again next week, so business as usual I'm afraid.
nigeman no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #468
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose View Post
According to my Armed response mates, Balsall Heath is one of the safest parts of Brum, very little crime there in comparison to other areas.

Also, the neighbourhood watch scheme works fantastically well there.
Well, yeh - I was listening to BBC WM and they were interviewing a guy from that neighbourhood. He said that, yep the place was awful but it got to the point that one street eventually said "enough was enough" and decided to gather together to tidy the place up and keep an eye on each other.

Other streets gathered together and in the end they had a whole community where everyone tidied their rubbish, a community action group was set up to deal with problems of crime - usually social problems such as flytipping, they shut down a rowdy pub, and eventually many of the problems dispersed and went away - in fact this community was the idea behind David Cameron's Big Society project and he even stayed with one of the families that helped to develop Balsall Heath's community project to get an idea of how it could be maximised on a national scale.

Now that's not to say that it's the most desirable residence but it certainly managed to clean up many of the problems from 10 years ago.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM   #469
vanson

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Well, yeh - I was listening to BBC WM and they were interviewing a guy from that neighbourhood. He said that, yep the place was awful but it got to the point that one street eventually said "enough was enough" and decided to gather together to tidy the place up and keep an eye on each other.

Other streets gathered together and in the end they had a whole community where everyone tidied their rubbish, a community action group was set up to deal with problems of crime - usually social problems such as flytipping, they shut down a rowdy pub, and eventually many of the problems dispersed and went away - in fact this community was the idea behind David Cameron's Big Society project and he even stayed with one of the families that helped to develop Balsall Heath's community project to get an idea of how it could be maximised on a national scale.

Now that's not to say that it's the most desirable residence but it certainly managed to clean up many of the problems from 10 years ago.
If only us British stuck together in other things this country wouldnt be in such a mess.
vanson no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:43 PM   #470
Sgt.Wilko

I have to say that when I am told something that I find difficult to believe from my own personal knowledge then if I have a little time then I do try to check it out.

I personally could not believe from my knowledge of the area that Balsall Heath has become on oasis of calm so I took the Police figures on their website for 1 mile radius of Edward Road Balsall Heath , Cross Keys Erdington, Gerrard Street Lozells & my own Four Oaks postcode.

These crimes are the ones officially recorded during April 2012 and of course do not reflect the under reporting associated with high crime areas ( the police do nothing etc). So I really do not understand why the armed response guy seems to feel that Balsall Heath is one of the safest areas in Brum to live with “very little crime”

The figures simply do not support that view or statement, which is slightly worrying for an officer of the law to be so out of touch with his own forces statistics??? 75 instances of violent crime in a month is not safe in my book!!!

B. Heath E'ton L'zells F.Oaks

All Crime 510 374 570 62

Burglary 35 36 50 14

Anti Social Behaviour 156 124 208 10

Robbery 20 5 25 1

Vehicle Crime 67 18 44 6

Violent Crime 75 53 86 4

Public disorder 19 12 20 4

Shoplifting 17 28 5 3

Criminal damage 41 36 38 7

Other theft 36 34 41 13

Drugs 30 15 31 0

Other crime 14 13 22 0
Sgt.Wilko no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #471
Sgt.Wilko

sorry the table looked fine when i typed it but it has all been condensed - I hope that you can read it OK. The figures from left to right are for Balsall Heath / Erdington / Lozells / Four Oaks.

It clearly shows that Balsall Heath & Lozells are similar with Erdington running 3rd.
Sgt.Wilko no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #472
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Wilko View Post
sorry the table looked fine when i typed it but it has all been condensed - I hope that you can read it OK. The figures from left to right are for Balsall Heath / Erdington / Lozells / Four Oaks.

It clearly shows that Balsall Heath & Lozells are similar with Erdington running 3rd.
But I'm talking about the area away from the Small Heath side which is predominantly residential and only has few odd shops there. The side you are on about does have some quite serious issues and most of those probably issues brought about by those living up by the Highgate/Small heath/Sparkbrook(?) areas.. - I certainly wouldn't walk around there at night..

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #473
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 26

I would just like to remind you that we have 5 days maximum untiil snow hill 3 is unveiled so what should we be expecting? I predict nothing and that we won't find out anything for another 4 months or so, does anybody else agree?
joshwebb está en línea ahora  
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #474
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 678

Went past Orion earlier, and there were workers on the scaffoldings, there was a van that said Window Cleaners and one of the workers were using a spirit level on the scaffold, to be honest looks like they were putting up more!

ReissOmari no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #475
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 26

Why what they doing to orion?
joshwebb está en línea ahora  
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #476
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 127

Demolition?
Spread no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #477
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 124

More street art on 'The Custard Factory, above there car park. Its like a giant orange tie.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #478
ROYAL BLUE
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
More street art on 'The Custard Factory, above there car park. Its like a giant orange tie.
I drove past the Custard factory a couple of days ago, it has to be said, from Digbeth High street almost the entire complex looks in need of a fresh lick of paint.
ROYAL BLUE está en línea ahora  
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #479
sham01

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
I drove past the Custard factory a couple of days ago, it has to be said, from Digbeth High street almost the entire complex looks in need of a fresh lick of paint.

Thought this for a while
sham01 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #480
Shel
Dalek

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham01 View Post
Thought this for a while
It's like The Severn Bridge, they're constantly re-painting different parts of it!

Closed Thread

Tags
birmingham