daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Delhi

Delhi Project News from the National Capital Region - Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Greater Noida, Ghaziabad, Faridabad, Manesar, Yeida



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 101 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2681
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,783
Likes (Received): 231

1. How do we take care of the problems of urban poor?
2. How to take care of the needs of non-motorised people who walk/cycle to work?
3. How to persuade people who have cars to take the bus/Metro to work/college/school?
4. How to ensure usable disabled-friendly footpaths/pavements across the city so that one can walk around the city without any issues/fear of being run over?
5. How is urban development to be integrated with transport, so that public transport systems dont have to be indefinitely expanded in big cities?

I am frustrated by how often you come across people saying smugly "you see Metro is not a panacea for the ills of public transport" or "Metro alone will not solve public transport problems." Yeah sure, it won't in Delhi/NCR. The point is people's needs are multi-modal in nature and trips vary across distances. So obviously one mode of transport by definition will not solve public transport needs. Metro is only one means. To solve or at least provide a good public transport system, we need to plan holistically. Transport varies distances i.e. I may walk 0.5 km to buy groceries or 10 km to work. You have a poor migrant worker in Delhi who cannot spend much money on travel but needs public transport the most.

For effective public transport in Delhi, we need to accept building more flyovers, elevated roads, more underpasses actually encourages more vehicles and is limited in its impact. First, you need usable pavements and good cycle tracks so that people can walk/cycle to work/wherever safely and comfortably. Second, you need an extensive bus network which is comfortable and safe, not to mention reliable and punctual and well-maintained and user friendly. The buses can't be ramshackle and filthy with rude drivers/conductors. Third, you need Metro to cover longer distance commuting within the city of 10-15-20 km, so the outskirts of the city have to be linked to the Metro. Fourth, the urban development department and transport department need to work together-not in silos-so that planners dont build a Metro line in x place and encourage development in y place. Fifth, vulnerable sections-elderly citizens, children, women must feel safe using the Metro-especially at night, so the transport system has to function till 12-1 am at night. Sixth, the way the New York Subway reaches places 70 or 80 km/90 km from the city, we need to look at linking places farflung from Delhi-I think RRTS is aimed at that. Finally, I hate to say this but eventually some form of vehicle ratioining, hiking of duty on cars, slashing duty on buses, discouraging vehicle consumption etc will be inevitable. Only a good public transport system has to be in place before that.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2682
varunshiv
Registered User
 
varunshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 731
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
^ Implementing those generic measures to create a long term solution for big cities needs no introduction and really goes without saying. I don't consider them ingenious enough or specifically tailored for Delhi to elucidate/reintroduce them to anyone out here, as we can all agree how important it is for the public transportation to be strengthened, expanded and promoted.

That said, I do realize what I suggested is a short term solution but sometimes stop-gap measures like these are required when the public transportation (and policy if any) is not able to catch up with what is required to decongest the streets. It doesn't take much to prohibit auto-ricks on long-distance roads and see what the effects of it are on other roads. A properly enforced one week trial should suffice.

In any case, wouldn't you like to have have the ring road and outer ring roads (where a bulk of these 74 flyovers lie) be devoid of slow moving traffic? As the backbones of the city, their purpose is currently being defeated. If anything, I'd like the auto-ricks to be prohibited here, along with both the roads getting a proper identity sticking to just one name (get rid of Nasser, RTR, Hedgewar, Palam margs etc), supplemented by a logo for easy recognition on signboards along arterial/intermediate roads for directions leading towards them. These 2 wishes are basic and cheap enough for any responsible public road department to implement. Proper exit lanes and better access control are other wishes, which go without saying as everyone would like those but they'd be harder to implement.
IU even if I (or any other responder) realize that you personally, or even a vast majority of forum users, might not need any reminders to the generic or not-so-generic solutions that are discussed here, since this is a public forum, the assumption has to be that a somewhat detailed description of things has to be given so that those people not so clued into the issues might be able to better understand what's being discussed. If I respond to something you've written, it does not mean I'm personally responding just to you, but to a wider audience (this paragraph included, even though I've put your name at the beginning).

Regarding your ring road solution, restricting the movement of "slow moving" traffic on the ring roads won't work beyond a couple of days. It's not just the usual auto-rickshas, it's also the "cargo"-auto-rickshas, scooters, motorcycles and then bicycles and cycle rickshas (both "passenger" and "cargo") that'll have to go for this to be successful. On top of that, the main culprits for the "temporary jams" on ring roads are not so much these smaller modes of transport, as are the "double-parked" buses at bus stops. The second culprit is bad driving habits all around, not just by auto-ricksha (etc) drivers. So removing auto-rickshas etc will at most speed up traffic by a couple of kmph (give or take) on average, and remove the irritant of having to overtake them if they come onto the right-most lane. These days auto-rickshas and cycle-rickshas have started crowding around metro stations which also causes minor jams, but the solution for that is not to remove the rickshas, but to better design the areas around metro stations (which DM and the Delhi govt are trying to do) as well as improve ground-level public transport.

Even if the restrictions are well implemented and do lead to reduced traffic, all these modes of transport (especially the auto-rikshas and cargo-auto-rickshas) will spill onto and jam smaller roads. People who use these smaller roads to avoid the ring roads will start using the ring roads in a couple of days, and pretty soon we'll be back to square one.

The multifariousness of transport modes is a fundamental aspect of Delhi's traffic, and restricting it in one area will just lead to congestion in another, without any net gain, imo.

Btw for the most part traffic on the ring roads travels smoother than on other arterial roads, and the main reason for that is the flyovers and lack of traffic-lights/intersections for straight traffic, which is why I'm not completely averse to flyovers in Delhi.
varunshiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2683
varunshiv
Registered User
 
varunshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 731
Likes (Received): 97

Speaking of smooth traffic on the ring road ...

HT


Quote:
Plans to clear Ashram mess

The bumper-to-bumper traffic, long snarls and persistent chaos has forced the Delhi government to devise a solution to ease vehicular movement at Ashram crossing in South Delhi.
Delhi public works department (PWD) minister Rajkumar Chauhan said his department will soon appoint a
consultant to look into the reasons behind traffic congestion at this busy intersection and suggest possible solutions. Chauhan expressed the hope that the consultant will submit his report to the government by end of this year.

Despite a string of flyovers starting from Ashram crossing up to Dhaula Kuan, traffic snarls along the Ring Road in south Delhi continue to be a cause for worry for the traffic police as well as transport and public works department. It often takes 45-50 minutes to cover a distance of just 5 kilometres from Maharani Bagh, where the DND flyway ends, to South Extension during peak hours.

Ashram crossing is a hub of vehicles moving between Delhi and Faridabad and traffic coming from east Delhi and Noida and heading towards Gurgaon and the airport.

Senior Delhi government officials admit that construction of new flyovers at Ashram crossing, Sriniwaspuri, Lajpat Nagar and Andrews Ganj have been negated by the huge increase in the number of private vehicles. They said adding infrastructure seems to the only possible solution to ease vehicular pressure at some of the locations.

"More than bumper-to-bumper traffic at Ashram flyover, it is the long tail of vehicles along the Mathura Road on either side of the intersection that is more worrisome. We are exploring the possibility of getting an underpass at the traffic junction so that vehicles coming from Faridabad side and going towards Bhogal and vice versa do not have to stop at the traffic signal," said a senior PWD engineer.

For Ring Road traffic, PWD engineers said they may think of either extending the Ashram flyover or constructing another flyover over Maharani Bagh T-point and the point where the DND flyway meets Ring Road to ensure smooth movement for Noida and East Delhi traffic.

"We will take a call on this only after the consultant comes up with his suggestions," the engineer added.

However, this is not the first time that the Delhi government has come up with such suggestions. The government had thought of hiring consultants in 2008 and in 2009 too but later put the idea on the backburner due to CWG projects.

This image/box came along with the article:


Last edited by varunshiv; June 26th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
varunshiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2684
livchamps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 114
Likes (Received): 15

Trying photos with my new phone, Samsung Galaxy Note. Here are a few -

Baba Kharak Singh Marg

http://i.imgur.com/HcV6U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JRmLv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a6I46.jpg

Last edited by IU; July 11th, 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: please resize
livchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #2685
livchamps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 114
Likes (Received): 15

Flyover from Kirti Nagar Metro Station -

http://i.imgur.com/5PLKT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IqpTg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/K0Dex.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/q7UX5.jpg

Last edited by IU; July 11th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
livchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #2686
IU
->
 
IU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hanooz Dilli dur ast
Posts: 10,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunshiv View Post
If I respond to something you've written, it does not mean I'm personally responding just to you, but to a wider audience (this paragraph included, even though I've put your name at the beginning).
ok and I will keep that in mind with your future posts.

It's just that when people respond directly back with these stale & generic (although excellent) ideas, they just don't evoke an aha! moment. These have been previously posted multiple times in one form or the other and don't catch my fancy, but I do realize that the forum needs these frequent doses of ideas to maintain its knowledge quotient to a certain high level, so no issues Varun

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunshiv View Post
On top of that, the main culprits for the "temporary jams" on ring roads are not so much these smaller modes of transport, as are the "double-parked" buses at bus stops. The second culprit is bad driving habits all around, not just by auto-ricksha (etc) drivers.
Agreed and these are commonly known overarching issues that need to be dealt with across the board. Even if we implement the long term measures of strengthening, expanding and promoting public transportation, we still would need to iron out these silly kinks of improving driving habits and discipline. So finding a panacea for these problems are critical not only for the success of my stop-gap plan but for the long term plan as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by varunshiv View Post
Even if the restrictions are well implemented and do lead to reduced traffic, all these modes of transport (especially the auto-rikshas and cargo-auto-rickshas) will spill onto and jam smaller roads. People who use these smaller roads to avoid the ring roads will start using the ring roads in a couple of days, and pretty soon we'll be back to square one.The multifariousness of transport modes is a fundamental aspect of Delhi's traffic, and restricting it in one area will just lead to congestion in another, without any net gain, imo.
This shifting of congestion problem was also acknowledged in my initial post. But without a proper test, it wouldn't ever be known to what extent any of the different components have been affected positively or negatively. All of what we think would happen is a conjecture at its best. There are always surprises which get thrown at even the best of traffic planners.

Like I said earlier, there's nothing to lose (or spend) in implementing a test run. They are conducted in Delhi all the time. The HC demanded to test CRRI's experimental plan of allowing all vehicles to use the BRT lanes in a 11 day test in May. Starting this Saturday, the UTTIPEC will be conducting a 15 day test to see the effects of allowing buses to enter the Old Delhi station. I'm sure the experts behind these tests have an idea of what the test will reveal, but it is also true that folks within the various planning departments have different pre-determined perceptions of the level of it success/failure. The media always reports the opinions of these "other" folks while refering to them as "someone who wishes not to be named". But despite these differing opinions, that doesn't prevent them from conducting these tests to see the actual outcomes, does it?

A properly devised week/10 day long test of this stop-gap solution should give us a good idea of how the traffic flowed on all roads, which roads got clogged, whether people are satisfied or not etc etc. I really wouldn't mind if the test of my short-term plan is a big flop, but let's atleast prove that on the streets - in the real world setting and not in our minds or computer based simulations. This could very well turn out to be a low hanging fruit that temporarily solves the problem until the long term measures (which are long overdue) are holistically thought out, devised and finally implemented.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2687
varunshiv
Registered User
 
varunshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 731
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
It's just that when people respond directly back with these stale & generic (although excellent) ideas, they just don't evoke an aha! moment. These have been previously posted multiple times in one form or the other and don't catch my fancy, but I do realize that the forum needs these frequent doses of ideas to maintain its knowledge quotient to a certain high level, so no issues Varun
Believe me, I have absolutely no interest in "catching your fancy". And constantly using passive-aggressive phrases such as "stale and generic" and "goes without saying" to put other people's comments down is just silly.
varunshiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #2688
numb.soul
Registered User
 
numb.soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 2,031
Likes (Received): 50

Thumbs up गोल्फ कोर्स रोड का निर्माण शुरू, गुरुवार क

गोल्फ कोर्स रोड का निर्माण शुरू हो गया है। हरियाणा अर्बन डिवेलपमेंट अथॉरिटी (हूडा) व डीएलएफ के अधिकारियों ने गुरुवार सुबह नारियल फोड़कर प्रोजेक्ट की शुरुआत की। इस प्रोजेक्ट पर करीब 600 करोड़ रुपये खर्च होंगे। प्रोजेक्ट को सितंबर 2014 तक पूरा कर लिया जाएगा। इसके पूरा होने के बाद डीएलएफ सहित काफी सेक्टरों के लोगों को टै्रफिक के झंझट से राहत मिलेगी। डीएलएफ व कई सेक्टरों को होगा फायदा

डीएलएफ कॉरपोरेट कम्यूनिकेशन के उपाध्यक्ष संजय राय ने बताया कि इस प्रोजेक्ट से डीएलएफ निवासियों के अलावा आस-पास लगते सेक्टर-27, 28, 29, 43, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 व 56 के निवासियों को लाभ मिलेगा। इस रोड के निर्माण को लेकर सितंबर 2011 में हूडा व डीएलएफ के बीच एग्रीमेंट हुआ था। 7 मिनट में कवर होगा आधे घंटे का सफर

8.3 किलोमीटर की यह रोड नैशनल हाइवे के पास गेट वे टावर से शुरू होकर सेक्टर 55-56 तक बनाई जाएगी। यह पूरी रोड सिग्नल फ्री होगी। मौजूदा समय में इस एरिया को क्रॉस करने में आधा घंटा लगता है, लेकिन प्रोजेक्ट के कंप्लीट होने के बाद यह रास्ता महज 7 मिनट में कवर हो जाएगा।

16 लेन की रोड पर फर्राटे भरेंगे वीइकल

राय ने बताया कि इस प्रोजेक्ट के तहत 16 लेन बनाई जाएंगी। इनमें मेन रोड 8 लेन की होगी और सर्विस रोड भी 8 लेन की होगी। एनएच 8 की सर्विस रोड से साइबर सिटी के बीच स्लिप रोड बनाई जाएगी।

6 अंडरपास से पास होगा ट्रैफिक

इस प्रोजेक्ट के तहत 6 अंडरपास बनाए जाएंगे। गेटवे टावर , बिल्डिंग नंबर 5 व 7 बी , सिकंदरपुर जंक्शन व अर्जुन मार्ग पर अंडरपास का निर्माण किया जाएगा।
सिकंदरपुर चौक पर बनेगा फ्लाईओवर

इसके साथ ही सिकंदरपुर जंक्शन पर 3 लेन का फ्लाईओवर बनाया जाएगा। डीएलएफ के उपाध्यक्ष रोहित मलिक ने
बताया कि इस प्रोजेक्ट के तहत सिकंदरपुर चौक पर फ्लाईओवर का निर्माण किया जाएगा।

फाइनल की गई कंस्ट्रक्शन कंपनी

डीएलएफ कॉरपोरेट कम्यूनिकेशन के उपाध्यक्ष ने बताया कि इस प्रोजेक्ट को इंटरनैशनल स्टैंडर्ड का बनाया गया है। अंतर्राष्ट्रीय कंपनी एकॉम ने इसका सर्वे किया है। अब इसका निर्माण आईएल एंड एफएस इंजीनियरिंग कंपनी लिमिटेड को सौंपा गया है। इसके निर्माण को लेकर 31 कंपनियों ने आवेदन किया था , जिनमें से इस कंपनी को सिलेक्ट किया गया है। रोड के उद्घाटन के मौके पर नगर निगम के कमिश्नर सुधीर राजपाल , डीएलएफ के सहायक निदेशक देवेंद्र सिंह , उपाध्यक्ष रोहित मलिक , एस . के . रैना , डीएलएफ एस्टेट के जनरल मैनेजर बलजीत सिंह , हूडा के सुपरिंटेंडेंट इंजीनियर आर . के . कक्कड़ , इग्जेक्युटिव इंजीनियर हरिदत्त शर्मा , नरेश पंवार आदि मौजूद थे।
__________________
Time will Tell
numb.soul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #2689
numb.soul
Registered User
 
numb.soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 2,031
Likes (Received): 50

Gurgaon to have 16-lane super-speciality corridor

GURGAON: Real estate giant DLF and the Haryana Urban Development Authority ( HUDA) on Thursday announced the commencement of work on the 8.3-km, 16-lane signal-free road being built at a cost of Rs 550 crore in the city.
Though it's slated to be completed in three years, inside sources said it would be completed within two years.

The road would be developed under a public-private partnership (PPP) model with the basic objective of creating a sustainable infrastructure facility extending from the NH-8 toll plaza to Sector 55\56.

The toll-free road will provide commuters with an uninterrupted drive all along the stretch including DLF Phase I, II, IV and V, Belvedere Park and Belvedere Tower, Sectors 55, 56, 58, 59, 60 and 61.
AECOM, an international consultant, has developed the concept to upgrade this arterial road to international standards.
"
The contract for the project execution has been awarded to IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Ltd while Parson Brinckeroff is the project Management consultant. "DLF recognizes the need to address the significant challenges of providing an optimum solution to the traffic movement based on present and projected traffic demand in future. By reducing the travel time drastically, this initiative will provide 1.5 million residents and commuters from outside Gurgaon who work in the city's offices, a hassle-free commute to their destination," said a DLF spokesperson.

The road would be built with technologies to ensure that it remains pothole-free and smooth. This will enable uniform utilization of the 78-metre right of way from Gateway Tower till the Sector 55/56 crossing and is designed to accommodate higher traffic volume that also takes into account traffic growth in the future.

This road will integrate with the Rapid Metro system proposed in Phase II and is proposed to cater to the future Rapid Metro line from Sikanderpur till the end of sector road.The corridor will also be signal free providing free movement to commuters on either side and will feature six underpasses that will also reduce noise pollution.

There is also a dedicated corridor for Sector 25 to sectors 55 and 56 which will mitigate traffic conflict and thereby enable smooth flow of main traffic. The road will have sewerage and drainage systems seamlessly integrated into it, said the spokesperson.
__________________
Time will Tell
numb.soul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #2690
numb.soul
Registered User
 
numb.soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 2,031
Likes (Received): 50

Also , high level meetings have been going on in ggn and chandigarh for 4 km long flyover in old ggn , i guess it has got the approval , the meetings are being done because land has to be taken form varous agencies

the flyover connects rajeev chowk road to bus stand road ( from both old delhi road and MG road)
__________________
Time will Tell
numb.soul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #2691
Euromast
Mast Malang
 
Euromast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raania da pind
Posts: 5,715
Likes (Received): 865

How will they touch Belvedere park? there is no space. On right hand side of the sector 55-61 there is empty space (google map )
__________________
End of sickularism
Euromast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2692
numb.soul
Registered User
 
numb.soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 2,031
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromast View Post
How will they touch Belvedere park? there is no space. On right hand side of the sector 55-61 there is empty space (google map )
i guess there is a underpass over there
__________________
Time will Tell
numb.soul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2693
Abhishek901
Registered User
 
Abhishek901's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,535
Likes (Received): 435

Elevated road over Najafgarh drain

http://navbharattimes.indiatimes.com...w/14472041.cms

http://navbharattimes.indiatimes.com...w/14472039.cms

Summary: Scope of elevated road on Najafgarh drain from Meera Bagh to Wazirabad has been increased and this road will start from Dwarka/Najafgarh instead of Meera Bagh. It will be 35 km instead of 16 km earlier. Study will take 6 to 8 months to complete. Construction cost would be approx 5,000 crores.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2694
jaadu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 852
Likes (Received): 36



5000 crores !!! That is almost similar to elevated metro costs !!
jaadu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #2695
saurabh85
Registered User
 
saurabh85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 724
Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb.soul View Post
GURGAON: Real estate giant DLF and the Haryana Urban Development Authority ( HUDA) on Thursday announced the commencement of work on the 8.3-km, 16-lane signal-free road being built at a cost of Rs 550 crore in the city.
Though it's slated to be completed in three years, inside sources said it would be completed within two years.

The road would be developed under a public-private partnership (PPP) model with the basic objective of creating a sustainable infrastructure facility extending from the NH-8 toll plaza to Sector 55\56.

The toll-free road will provide commuters with an uninterrupted drive all along the stretch including DLF Phase I, II, IV and V, Belvedere Park and Belvedere Tower, Sectors 55, 56, 58, 59, 60 and 61.
AECOM, an international consultant, has developed the concept to upgrade this arterial road to international standards.
"
The contract for the project execution has been awarded to IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Ltd while Parson Brinckeroff is the project Management consultant. "DLF recognizes the need to address the significant challenges of providing an optimum solution to the traffic movement based on present and projected traffic demand in future. By reducing the travel time drastically, this initiative will provide 1.5 million residents and commuters from outside Gurgaon who work in the city's offices, a hassle-free commute to their destination," said a DLF spokesperson.

The road would be built with technologies to ensure that it remains pothole-free and smooth. This will enable uniform utilization of the 78-metre right of way from Gateway Tower till the Sector 55/56 crossing and is designed to accommodate higher traffic volume that also takes into account traffic growth in the future.

This road will integrate with the Rapid Metro system proposed in Phase II and is proposed to cater to the future Rapid Metro line from Sikanderpur till the end of sector road.The corridor will also be signal free providing free movement to commuters on either side and will feature six underpasses that will also reduce noise pollution.

There is also a dedicated corridor for Sector 25 to sectors 55 and 56 which will mitigate traffic conflict and thereby enable smooth flow of main traffic. The road will have sewerage and drainage systems seamlessly integrated into it, said the spokesperson.
16 lanes is unbelievable!! The max I have seen is 14 lanes( that too close to downtown Atlanta) on Interstate 85. Hopefully DLF will do an excellent job!
saurabh85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #2696
Abhishek901
Registered User
 
Abhishek901's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,535
Likes (Received): 435

16 lanes is not possible. I have been to Golf Course road many times. There are houses and buildings on both sides. Even for making it 12 lanes they will have to remove pavements.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2697
varunshiv
Registered User
 
varunshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 731
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
1. How do we take care of the problems of urban poor?
2. How to take care of the needs of non-motorised people who walk/cycle to work?
3. How to persuade people who have cars to take the bus/Metro to work/college/school?
4. How to ensure usable disabled-friendly footpaths/pavements across the city so that one can walk around the city without any issues/fear of being run over?
5. How is urban development to be integrated with transport, so that public transport systems dont have to be indefinitely expanded in big cities?

I am frustrated by how often you come across people saying smugly "you see Metro is not a panacea for the ills of public transport" or "Metro alone will not solve public transport problems." Yeah sure, it won't in Delhi/NCR. The point is people's needs are multi-modal in nature and trips vary across distances. So obviously one mode of transport by definition will not solve public transport needs. Metro is only one means. To solve or at least provide a good public transport system, we need to plan holistically. Transport varies distances i.e. I may walk 0.5 km to buy groceries or 10 km to work. You have a poor migrant worker in Delhi who cannot spend much money on travel but needs public transport the most.

For effective public transport in Delhi, we need to accept building more flyovers, elevated roads, more underpasses actually encourages more vehicles and is limited in its impact. First, you need usable pavements and good cycle tracks so that people can walk/cycle to work/wherever safely and comfortably. Second, you need an extensive bus network which is comfortable and safe, not to mention reliable and punctual and well-maintained and user friendly. The buses can't be ramshackle and filthy with rude drivers/conductors. Third, you need Metro to cover longer distance commuting within the city of 10-15-20 km, so the outskirts of the city have to be linked to the Metro. Fourth, the urban development department and transport department need to work together-not in silos-so that planners dont build a Metro line in x place and encourage development in y place. Fifth, vulnerable sections-elderly citizens, children, women must feel safe using the Metro-especially at night, so the transport system has to function till 12-1 am at night. Sixth, the way the New York Subway reaches places 70 or 80 km/90 km from the city, we need to look at linking places farflung from Delhi-I think RRTS is aimed at that. Finally, I hate to say this but eventually some form of vehicle ratioining, hiking of duty on cars, slashing duty on buses, discouraging vehicle consumption etc will be inevitable. Only a good public transport system has to be in place before that.
Nicely summarized!
varunshiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM   #2698
gandhiji1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey/Gujarat
Posts: 31
Likes (Received): 0

Why are there no sidewalks on the bridges? With the size of our population and not too many people driving cars or motorbikes, how come they can not think about putting sidewalks on the bridges? I can understand the cost factor but why can't we think about public safety?

Jai Hind
gandhiji1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2699
jaadu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 852
Likes (Received): 36



Those are flyovers and not bridges .. flyovers are meant for vehicles to by pass the mess below and drive without interruption, now why would a pedestrian take a flyover when he can jsut straight walk on the road below ?

Though I agree we need more pedestrian friendly roads but sidewalks on flyovers is basically useless !!
jaadu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #2700
gandhiji1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey/Gujarat
Posts: 31
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadu View Post


Those are flyovers and not bridges .. flyovers are meant for vehicles to by pass the mess below and drive without interruption, now why would a pedestrian take a flyover when he can jsut straight walk on the road below ?

Though I agree we need more pedestrian friendly roads but sidewalks on flyovers is basically useless !!
Point well taken but as you know that in wonderful country of ours, people do not follow what is right and enforcement (prohibiting pedestrians) is a huge problem therefore it would be wise to have sidewalks.
One of the pictures shows people walking on the bridge, I am sure it would be easier to walk under the bridge but knuckleheads decided to go on the bridge and decided to walk along vehicular traffic.
Jai Hind.
gandhiji1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
delhi

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu