daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM   #1
freduk

Likes (Received): 0

Scottish Grand Prix

What a great annoucement today
http://www.offplanpropertyexchange.com/grandprix/
freduk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM   #2
maccoinnich
smalltown boy

Likes (Received): 75

At first I thought this was advertising spam... now I just think you've been had. Bernie Eccelsham? Lewis Ambleton?

@maccoinnich
maccoinnich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
freduk

I thought that it was hilarious, didnt you like Alonso Alfonso that was my favourite, I suppose it is April 1st.

However I think that Scotland should have a Grand Prix
freduk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:29 PM   #4
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

There was an attempt many years ago by Jackie Stewart to bring F1 to the outskirts of Edinburgh.

If memory serves me right the Royal Air force base at Edzell near brechin was one of the proposed areas that was mooted for the track, but alas it was a flash in the pan i think during the 80s it was.

Now that we have our own parly i dont see why the scot exec can't resurface the feasibility to bring the F1 sport up here.
M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #5
The Boy David
Registered Win

Likes (Received): 272

Haha that's a not bad April fools .

We've discussed a Glasgow street race GP before on this forum. The highspeed part of the F1 track would run along the elevated and then canyon sections of the M8 and would be simply IMMENSE, as would the difficult hills, off camber turns and tricky grid layout for the slower, more difficult parts of the track.

I would draw my ideal route through the city up if I had more time, I tell thee. I'd quite literally cream my pants if a street race of some sorts did come to the city, but it'll never happen....
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Horse619

Hilarious, very fancy with the cheese
Horse619 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Russell1

Likes (Received): 9

With the Dakar rally cancelled over safety concerns I think theres more chance of that coming to Glasgow City Centre especially considering the state of roads around here, would be a real car breaker! I remember watching a Ferrari F1 car getting round knockhill in something like 43 seconds 2 or 3 years ago, I think we need a slightly longer circuit :p
Russell1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 132

If Valencia can do it then sure as hell Glasgow can too.
Monkey9000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Glasgow 2097
Dreamtime in Lake Jackson

Likes (Received): 152

Someone once told me that when he moved to Cumbernauld in the late 1960s the hot rumour - happily perpetuated by the local authority of the day - was that the seemingly endless ring roads and dual carriageways were designed to allow a Grand Prix in the near future.

Glasgow Forum - it's dirty, and you want it.
Glasgow 2097 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:27 AM   #10
Momus

Easterhouse, Castlemilk, Cumbernauld....they all have their own versions of the grand prix every night. Just pray its not your car they choose to use....
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:46 AM   #11
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post
Easterhouse, Castlemilk, Cumbernauld....they all have their own versions of the grand prix every night. Just pray its not your car they choose to use....

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #12
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Haha!!!! Good one Momus!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #13
M_Riaz
MORI

ET

Speed king Lewis makes city pit stop

Here's something you don't see in the company car park every day - speed king Lewis Hamilton taking a Formula One car for a spin.

But that's exactly what greeted workers at the Diageo bottling plant in Glasgow this morning.

The Formula One world champion made a pit stop at the Shieldhall factory to meet workers and endorse the firm's responsible drinking campaign.

As well as meeting staff and answering questions, the race ace showed why he's world champ as he took a Formula One car for a quick spin around the car park.

One of Diageo's biggest whisky brands, Johnny Walker are sponsors of Hamilton racing team, McLaren-Mercedes.

It's the second time in a week the racing driver has visited Glasgow. Earlier this week, the 23-year-old made a flying visit to watch girlfriend Nicole Scherzinger in action when the Pussycat Dolls played live at the SECC.

Old January 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #14
M_Riaz
MORI

Not F1 but the Monte Carlo Rallye was in Glasgow yesterday.

We should stage more of these events and convince the funders to seriously think on a F1 Grand Prix Track for Glasgow.

Last edited by M_Riaz; January 29th, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Riaz View Post
We should stage more of these events and convince the funders to seriously think on a F1 Grand Prix Track for Glasgow.
I second that!
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #16
M_Riaz
MORI

A daily Record story from a couple of years ago, nothing came of it i guess !

I want to bring Formula 1 Grand Prix to Glasgow, says T in the Park creator Paul Morrison

Sep 29 2009

THE Scot behind F1 Rocks plans to persuade Formula 1 boss Bernie Eccleston to bring the Grand Prix to Scotland for the first time.

Paul Morrison wants Eccleston to stage the race in Glasgow. But the man who created T In The Park has warned the Scottish government may baulk at the cost of staging such a glamorous sporting event.

Paul said: "It would be amazing. I'm speaking to Bernie about it. However, I am not sure the Scottish government will be in any mood to fork out the kind of cash it takes.

"But I would love to see Formula 1 cars belting along the Clydeside Expressway. I think it would be fantastic to see them take a left up Union Street.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:24 AM   #17
M_Riaz
MORI

I see Bernie is all out for bringing the F1 to the London streets, should look at Glasgow too Bernie boy !

Pit stop at the Palace: Billionaire F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone plans £35bn 200mph street race in London

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1zQLnDhEA

Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:03 AM   #18
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

Likes (Received): 241

To be fair, I don't think Glasgow has any roads anywhere near the width necessary to actually get used as a decent track. M8 perhaps but what then? Tradeston > Gorbals > High Street > M8? Not really doing much for Glasgow, it could be anywhere, move further into the centre and you have no room to manouver.

Special stages though, that we could do
Squirrelking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:26 PM   #19
Homer86

Likes (Received): 1

Was talking about this recently with a few mates, would never happen but you could design a cracking circuit through the city centre. Over the years there have been 3 proposals for a new Scottish racing circuit that I know of.The area around Forrestburn hill climb to full international standard with a circuit winding around the loch, The Manna Developments plan for a circuit in Dumfries and Galloway and Jackie Stewart in the 80s looking into getting Ingleston redeveloped. For such a small country with only 1 1.3 mile 7 corner track Scotland has produced some amount of world champion racing drivers.
Homer86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer86 View Post
For such a small country with only 1 1.3 mile 7 corner track Scotland has produced some amount of world champion racing drivers.
Plus Crail.

Given that we have virtually no domestic road racing I'm as surprised as you are, I'd have thought the Irish would have the upper hand...
Squirrelking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
formula 1

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: