daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #941
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by World8115 View Post
Thanks IU, I didnt know that
Ya, it can be hard to imagine so many kms of track at one spot but somehow they manage to squeeze all of it inside the compound for the depot building, stabling line shed, loco shed, wash plant and test track.

Here's a layout of the Shastri Park depot in Delhi. It's got ~18kms of track in there.

-Source (It wrongly says Khyber pass on the page)
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 25th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #942
World8115

Nice
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #943
IU
->

Just heard from a little birdie that an announcement is soon going to be made about Line 2's PPP concessionaire. Folks - keep a look out in the news section.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #944
World8115

DMRC chief to check Jaipur Metro's progress

Quote:
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) managing director Mangu Singh will inspect the civil works at metro sites in city on Thursday. He is likely to meet urban development and housing (UDH) minister Shanti Dhariwal to discuss the progress of project.

Starting his inspection on Thursday morning, Singh is scheduled to visit Chandpole and Civil Lines metro stations and Mansarover depot.

During his previous inspection in February, the metro officials had informed him that only 35 percent civil works of depot had been completed. The DMRC director had expressed his dissatisfaction and asked the contractors to engage more manpower on an urgent basis. Singh is supposed to seek report on the compliance of the directions issued by him during his previous visit. Also, the director may discuses about the ongoing track-laying works on metro sites with officials. Even the land-related issues might be discussed.

When contacted, the DMRC officials did not disclose more about his visit. “It is only an official and routine inspection. Like previous visit, the director will seek report about the progress of the project,” said a Corporation’s officer.

Meanwhile, as per DMRC, only 55 per cent civil works have been over of the entire project.
Dhariwal wants Metro to be on time for polls

Quote:
UDH minister Shanti Dhariwal has directed the Jaipur Metro Rail Corporation (JMRC) officials to finish the Metro project at any cost in the set deadline of June 2013. Around 55 per cent civil works completed in the project while only 12 months are left to complete the rest 45 per cent.

The minister issued these directions while chairing a review meeting with the metro officials. Delhi Metro Rail Corporation’s (DMRC) managing director Mangu Singh was scheduled to attend the meeting, but could not due to an urgent meeting in Delhi.

Meanwhile, the minister also took cognizance of problems related to the land-acquisition, financial and shortage of sand (pebbles) that made an adverse impact on the civil works of the Metro projects. However, he asked the Metro officials to complete the project in the set deadline.

The meeting also discussed the various infrastructure and transport project running under state and Centre-sponsored schemes. To keep monitoring on the proper progress of these projects the minister told officials to get third party inspections.

Prior to meeting with minister, the board of directors, JMRC also held a meeting that was presided by NC Goyal, chairman and managing director (CMD), JMRC. The meeting discussed issues like multi-level parking near Metro stations and progress in civil works at routes. The CMD also added that corporation will draft rules for the recruitment of 472 Metro staffers as per the suggestions made by the finance department.
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #945
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
Just heard from a little birdie that an announcement is soon going to be made about Line 2's PPP concessionaire. Folks - keep a look out in the news section.
IU, does line 2 mean phase II or the second line of phase I?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM   #946
shree711

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss

IU, does line 2 mean phase II or the second line of phase I?
Currently this refers to the, durgapura to ambabari line.
shree711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #947
aam admi

Likes (Received): 66

If JMRC is going to finalize PPP soon, why are they recruting O&M staff? May be this is ploy by DMRC to impose its model of financing as the only option left with JMRC once O&M establishment is done.
aam admi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #948
Illusionist
India under construction.

Likes (Received): 783

Took these photos yesterday.

This one is from coming down from ajmer pulia where the last stretch of work is going on which ends at the railway station. In the front is the double decked columns on which metro goes on the top. on the left is the ramp which will go to the flyover section of the structure. remember i am still on a bridge so u can imagine how high those columns are.

This is a photo of the same place from opposite direction.

Old July 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #949
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

Likes (Received): 1925

Thanks for the updates and welcome to India Ilu

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
engineer.akash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #950
Illusionist

Thanks Bhai

BTW we had first heavy rain yesterday. it was pretty bad. i wonder how much it will affect the construction pace.
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #951
IU
->

Illusionist - Thanks for the snaps man. Can you try taking pics of the metro north of the Ajmer Pulia till Chandpol? Would like to see how that is progressing as we've hardly seen any pics from that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam admi View Post
If JMRC is going to finalize PPP soon, why are they recruting O&M staff? May be this is ploy by DMRC to impose its model of financing as the only option left with JMRC once O&M establishment is done.
There's no evil ploy at work here. The operating model of the system was restructured last year in November so that the JMRC could recover some costs over a period of 5 years before handing over the line. Note that the concessionaire has the option to handle the O&M of Line 1 before that period expires, but they might have to pay a negative grant for that.

Here are 2 slides from a recent presentation (warning: link downloads the PDF) which explains the project composition and role of each agency:

Initial:

Revised:

I've placed the 2nd image on the first post of this thread so that folks here can review it to clarify any future doubts.
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #952
aam admi

Thanks IU for the info. I have one doubt, once govt. establishment for O&M activities is created, how JMRC would be able to hive it off after five years?
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #953
IU
->

It doesn't make sense to train and deploy a new set of employees, so I believe the concessionaire will just absorb them similar to how DIAL/MIAL absorbed AAI's employees after IGI/CSIA were privatized.
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #954
aam admi

Concessionaire would most probably go for some O&M contractor to do the O&M job so absorbing govt. employees is not that easy. I still feel JMRC is being ill advised by DMRC with the objective to discourage PPP model whcih is the stated objective of DMRC.
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #955
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam admi View Post
Concessionaire would most probably go for some O&M contractor to do the O&M job so absorbing govt. employees is not that easy. I still feel JMRC is being ill advised by DMRC with the objective to discourage PPP model whcih is the stated objective of DMRC.
DMRC has every reason to be against PPP. In transport, private participation is not something has that shown good results at least in India. The best transport undertakings in India are those run by the government-be it BEST in Mumbai, KSRTC in Karnataka or DTC in Delhi. Private operators work on the principle of maximation of profit, on the other hand government organisations that are well-run will do a better job. If DMRC is given a job, they can be trusted to do it well and on time.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #956
Illusionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
Illusionist - Thanks for the snaps man. Can you try taking pics of the metro north of the Ajmer Pulia till Chandpol? Would like to see how that is progressing as we've hardly seen any pics from that section.
No problem. i will try to do that when i go there.
btw the metro will come from the railway station, hit the ajmer pulia at 90 degrees at the intersection i had posted earlier and from there it will take a 90 degree turn and climb on the pulia and will ride in the center untill it gets down to the road and from there you see double decker columns.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #957
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionist View Post
No problem. i will try to do that when i go there.
btw the metro will come from the railway station, hit the ajmer pulia at 90 degrees at the intersection i had posted earlier and from there it will take a 90 degree turn and climb on the pulia and will ride in the center untill it gets down to the road and from there you see double decker columns.
Illusionist, what kind of impact do you think JMRC will have on the city of Jaipur? Will it actually reduce public transport issues to a huge extent or make commuting much easier? Also, when do you think we can see Metro coaches being run on trial basis?
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #958
Illusionist

Commuting in jaipur is not a big problem at present. not only public transport buses run smoothly but since the city is not too big even autos do a good job. on top of that city already has BRTS and low floor buses.
having said that, it will transform the city like none other. jaipur is a planned city and still growing. other cities are getting metro when they have already grown and congested. whilst jaipur is getting metro ahead of time, the city will grow around the metro instead of metro trying to fit in to the city. not only it will provide and AC and decent transport to the locals but it will hugely benefit the tourism industry. we get a lot of tourists who wander around in the city helplessly. they cannot use buses and autowallahs rob them. they have been asking for a decent transport system and metro will fit right in.
just this metro will take jaipur in to the new league of cities and with the india's first highspeed train is proposed between jaipur and delhi it will be just icing on the cake.
i dont see metro doing a trial run for next six months atleast. though they did have a metro coach on display last year.
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #959
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionist View Post
Commuting in jaipur is not a big problem at present. not only public transport buses run smoothly but since the city is not too big even autos do a good job. on top of that city already has BRTS and low floor buses.
having said that, it will transform the city like none other. jaipur is a planned city and still growing. other cities are getting metro when they have already grown and congested. whilst jaipur is getting metro ahead of time, the city will grow around the metro instead of metro trying to fit in to the city. not only it will provide and AC and decent transport to the locals but it will hugely benefit the tourism industry. we get a lot of tourists who wander around in the city helplessly. they cannot use buses and autowallahs rob them. they have been asking for a decent transport system and metro will fit right in.
just this metro will take jaipur in to the new league of cities and with the india's first highspeed train is proposed between jaipur and delhi it will be just icing on the cake.
i dont see metro doing a trial run for next six months atleast. though they did have a metro coach on display last year.
My friends from Jaipur say Jaipur lags behind Bangalore and Pune as of now. However, Metro will push it up ahead of other Tier II cities. Also, HSRL is unlikely. So I wouldn't get my hopes up because of how costly it is. I hope JDA and JMC ensure proper pavements and sidewalks for pedestrians as well as integration of bus and Metro services. Six months for trial runs-December 2012? January 2013? The launch is expected in April so its a tight squeeze.
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #960
Illusionist

Jaipur is definately behind bangalore and pune in terms of commercial value in corporate sector. but jaipur is not behind any city of its size in infrastructure and planning.
all we need is good number of colleges and corporations will follow soon after. until then we will just be a tourist spot.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: