daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Old January 28th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #41
djmaxliving

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTaco View Post
I realise that for distribution reasons the manufacturing facility needs to be in the south, however this is just the type of manufacturing work that could be located along the new M74 in Glasgow. Could we not have done a bit more to secure Barr's new factory here?
That's a good point Rapid. The only reasons i can think of is to keep costs down, plus more closer to central europe so new markets. But if they where to move next to the M74 the Cumbernauld plant would shut down.

I should add Cumbernauld is the main Distribution Depot and they currently have 4 factory's in the UK, 3 are in Scotland and 1 in wales, none in England.
djmaxliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #42
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 243

It'd be pretty good if they closed the Cumbernauld factory and moved back to the East End, that's where Barrs was originally located I think?
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #43
get13

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zombie Jesus View Post
It'd be pretty good if they closed the Cumbernauld factory and moved back to the East End, that's where Barrs was originally located I think?
I doubt the staff who live in Cumbernauld would agree.
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #44
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by get13 View Post
I doubt the staff who live in Cumbernauld would agree.
Yeah you're right, but I'm generally of the opinion that we should just quietly take apart Cumbernauld and pretend it never happened.
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #45
M_Riaz
MORI

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #46
Shinkicker

Likes (Received): 0

It's the thing I miss the most when I'm abroad. I think DHL or Fed Ex should have an Irn Bru plane that just flies around the world dropping off the sacred girder juice to exiled Scots all over
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #47
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
It's the thing I miss the most when I'm abroad. I think DHL or Fed Ex should have an Irn Bru plane that just flies around the world dropping off the sacred girder juice to exiled Scots all over
The worship of Irn Bru by Scots is beyond embarrassing. It's a ******* sugary drink for god's sake.
Ultima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #48
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
The worship of Irn Bru by Scots is beyond embarrassing. It's a ******* sugary drink for god's sake.
Jeez, who shat in your cereal this morning?
Squirrelking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #49
لا إله إلا الله
n7ebek rou7y w 3omry

Likes (Received): 3

Irn-Bru will 'vigorously defend' trademark in Russian legal battle

The makers of Irn-Bru, AG Barr has said that it will vigourously defend its brand in the face of a trademark dispute in Russia.

AG Barr spoke to The Drum about the on-going battle over Irn-Bru’s trademark in Russia received new publicity following an article in yesterday’s Daily Mail.

Business Investment Group Holdings, an Eastern European company, is taking Irn-Bru to Moscow Commercial Court next month in an effort to end Irn-Bru’s trademark protection in the country. Cumbernauld based A.G Barr has now hired a team of Moscow lawyers to defend this claim.

Seeking to end Irn-Bru’s brand protection could pave the way for a flood of cheap imitations entering the Russian market and risk Irn-Bru’s position as the third biggest selling soft drink in the country, behind Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

A spokesperson for A.G Barr, this morning told The Drum; “Irn-Bru has been a successful brand in Russia for well over a decade where it is produced under license.

“We will vigorously defend our trade marks in all relevant territories and this case is no exception.”

Currently Irn-Bru is manufactured and distributed by the Pepsi Bottling Group on behalf of A.G Barr at plants in Russia.
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #50
M_Riaz
MORI

ET

Wednesday 5 September 2012

IRN-BRU in £1.4bn DRINKS MERGER BID

IRN-BRU maker AG Barr today announced a possible £1.4billion merger with Britvic that would create one of the biggest soft drinks companies in Europe
Bosses at Irn-Bru confirmed talks were
in their "early stages" after the company approached its Essex-based rival about a potential tie-up.
AG Barr, which has its main base in Cumbernauld, has produced Scotland's top selling soft drink – known as our other national drink – from a secret recipe for more than 110 years.
Both firms said a merger deal would create one of the leading soft drinks companies in Europe, with other brands including the Britvic products Robinsons, J2O and Fruit Shoot. AG Barr also makes Tizer and Rubicon.
It has already been agreed that Britvic shareholders will own 63% of any new company, and AG Barr shareholders 37%.
Shares in both companies fizzed today, with Britvic worth £890million after a 12% rise, while AG Barr went up 4%, valuing it at £500m.
A statement by Britvic said: "Discussions are at an early stage and, whilst there can be no certainty at this stage that such discussions will conclude successfully, agreement has been reached with respect to certain key aspects of the merger."
AG Barr's chief executive, Roger White, who joined the company in 2004 and became the first non-family boss, would assume the same role in the merged group.
John Gibney, chief financial officer at Britvic, would also keep his position.
Gerald Corbett, chairman of Britvic, would chair the board of the combined entity, while Ronnie Hanna, chairman of AG Barr, would become deputy chairman.
In 2009, Robin Barr ended his 31-year tenure as chairman of AG Barr. However, he remains on the company's board as a non-executive director and is one of just three people to know the formula of 32 ingredients used in the drink.
The deal could have implications for the workforce.
AG Barr employs 950 people throughout the UK. Five hundred of these are based in Scotland, the majority in Cumbernauld.
Barr's business started in 1875 and it began selling "Iron Brew" in 1901.
When Robert Barr took over the firm in 1947, he renamed the drink Irn-Bru after worries about new food labelling regulations – the drink did contain iron but was not brewed.
Earlier this year, it was announced profits at the company had taken a slight hit, but it added it still anticipated a 4.5% year- on-year rise in sales to about £130m.
AG Barr is understood to be continuing with a £41m production and warehouse operation in Milton Keynes after obtaining planning approval for the project
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #51
ForzaD

Likes (Received): 120

The merger is obviously good for the shareholders but long-term I'm not sure whether it's a good move for the brand. For me I've always seen AG Barr as a small Scottish business doing well at it's own thing despite pressure from the multi-nationals.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #52
AshAshAsh

Likes (Received): 74

There are no mergers, only takeovers.

I'll be sad to see it go, hope they can remain independent, but from a purely business point of view it makes sense.

Last edited by AshAshAsh; September 5th, 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling
AshAshAsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #53
milton

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAshAsh View Post
There are no mergers, only takeovers.

I'll be sad to see it go, hope they can remain independent, but from a purely business point of view it makes sense.
True. From Barr's point of view if they get away with it, it makes a lot of sense. A lot of the analysts seem to think Pepsi will poach Britvic though.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/756d5da8-f...#axzz25d7asdPp
milton está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #54
ForzaD

Likes (Received): 120

Save the Bru campaign on twitter - https://twitter.com/keepitscottish

Old September 5th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #55
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

As long as I can still get my glass bottle of cream soda!
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #56
djmaxliving

Likes (Received): 127

I don't see the merge going ahead ?.

Irn Bru firm AG Barr reports sales up but profits down

Irn Bru maker AG Barr has seen profits fall despite strong sales growth in the six months to the end of July.

The Cumbernauld-based company said pre-tax profit fell by £1.3m to £14.9m, while sales rose by 4.9% to £130m.

It described competition in the soft drinks market as "intense", thanks in part to major events such as the 2012 Olympic Games.

The firm also said operating margins were hit by increased raw material costs, particularly sugar.

AG Barr added that its core brands Irn Bru, Rubicon and Barr were "in good health" and well positioned to continue to grow into the future.

In a statement, the company said: "We are pleased to report that we have once more outperformed the soft drinks market in sales revenue and volume growth terms.

"This is despite the ongoing difficult general economic environment and the well reported poor summer weather."

AG Barr said trading had been made more intense by competitors using promotions to increase volumes.

"Many major brands have increased the volume of sales promoted through 'buy one get one free' and less-than-half-price activity," it said.

'Measured' response
"We have responded in a measured way by selectively increasing our promotional activity to compete for consumers, being very aware of the importance of achieving a sensible balance between good everyday pricing of quality products and maintaining brand equity."

AG Barr added it expected trading to "remain challenging" over the coming months and remained confident about its prospects as long as there was no further deterioration in the market.

The firm also reported that talks were continuing with Tango maker Britvic over a possible £1.4bn merger.

Earlier this month AG Barr approached its Essex-based rival about a potential tie-up, claiming the deal could create one of Europe's leading soft drinks companies.

Britvic's other products include Robinsons, J2O and Fruit Shoot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-19699911
djmaxliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #57
Shinkicker

Likes (Received): 0

I wish I had some Irn Bru right now, I've got a mouth like badger's thingy. And I was sober last night. I just like Irn Bru!!!!
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #58
Pious Fraud

Likes (Received): 802

Glasgow Art

IRN LADY

by

Leonardo
Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #59
M_Riaz
MORI

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #60
bestbud

Likes (Received): 1090

So, that's that then.

"Synergy" is the word of the day.

Last edited by bestbud; November 14th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
bestbud no está en línea   Reply With Quote