daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Auckland

Old July 6th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #21
viinniie

Likes (Received): 9

im quite happy with all Aucklands projects on the go with the money we have to spend, put it that way.. heaps going on for such a small city in the world.. we must be doing something right to be so highly ranked internationally. The only ones moaning seem to be on here.
viinniie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 6th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #22
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by viinniie View Post
im quite happy with all Aucklands projects on the go with the money we have to spend, put it that way.. heaps going on for such a small city in the world.. we must be doing something right to be so highly ranked internationally. The only ones moaning seem to be on here.
"Moaning" is not what is happening! We all agree this project is an improvement over the current situation, but it doesn't mean that it is perfect. As far as projects in Auckland go - I agree some of the public transport projects are fantastic and I am very glad they're getting off the ground, but these projects here are done by private investors (NZRPG) in partnership with city council. This means that the money is very much in private hands and the NZRPG have a massive portfolio and the capital to make a big difference. This means that the project does have scope to be refined and that could be pushed more by Auckland Council.

In all honesty, are you totally happy with this proposal in particular?

(As a side note, you'll notice I've been very happy with a number of proposals under construction at the moment such as ASB, the proposed Orange and some fantastic proposals like MacKelvie Street but that doesn't mean I like everything going on, that would just be fanboi-ism ).

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #23
viinniie

Likes (Received): 9

i admit it i am a fan of my city yay im a fanboii hehe all im saying is whats planned is planned and will us moaning about what is the end product have any effect in the end.. maybe so for future projects, lets hope Len listens.. Cars, buses trains whatever.. Aucklanders will always use their cars to go to the malls.. 'Until' that infrastructure is properly in place will we see this hopefully change and the frequencies for PT become more and better. With the numbers who have started using it more in Auckland is positive so thats all i need to say about this issue lol. Oh and im all for the new test cricket/concert/ designs for the tank farm area..
viinniie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #24
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 4766

Westgate will offer a vibrant new focus for residents, retailers, shoppers and visitors to the North West of Auckland. Westgate has community amenities, shopping, business and recreation facilities together providing the perfect balance for locals and visitors. A hub for retail and commercial activity in the North West, yet balanced with the serenity of the surrounding parks, ponds and recreation facilities. The project is “a triumph of collaboration between the council and our development partners and a blueprint for what can be achieved as the region grows and develops under the direction of the Auckland Plan.” – Deputy Mayor Penny Hulse

LIBRARY

A new 3500 square metre library featuring a unique children’s reading and storytelling ‘cocoon’ space, community rooms, a café and Citizens’ Advice Bureau. The unique architecturally designed library building will have a green roof and a green wall.

TOWN SQUARE

The town square will feature areas for outdoor dining and an artistic-canopy to provide shade and shelter. The large civic space will be a pedestrian friendly slow speed shared space zone.

PARKS + RECREATION

Six hectares of public open space will be available for the community to use. A high quality and extensive network of parks, walkways and stormwater ponds is being developed and will include a playground, regional skateboard park, walking and cycle paths.

COMMUNITY CENTRE

At the heart of Westgate is the community. Auckland Council is building new facilities for the community to meet, share and participate. Watch this space as plans unfold.

PUBLIC ART

Public art is a feature of the council’s library and civic square project and the square will feature an artist-designed canopy to provide shade and shelter.

While strolling through the 'scrapers high, Three's thoughts were lost in fog, "Oh, It don't got teams like Bulls or Bears, But Demons and Bulldogs. I say," he said, "this town of Melbourne's Very like Chicago."

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #25
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Can't say I approve of this render - look at all the cars

MAIN STREET

The primary road where bustle takes on a new meaning. It’s the “main street” of the new metropolitan centre, a home to major retailers, boutiques and household names. This is the heart of Westgate. The main street runs from one end of Westgate, starting at the existing open air shopping centre, through the town square to the Bulky Goods/homemaker precinct and onto the trade based/yard based homemaker precinct, a total distance of 2km.

SHOPPING PRECINCTS:
Town Centre, Library and Office Park (136,000 m2)
Bulky goods / homemaker (57,000 m2)
Homemaker / trade based (67,000 m2)

“Real streets, charged with the life that retail energy provides and complete with civic uses which complement the commercial aspect. Architecturally, this allows a diversity of form and aesthetic in the fabric of the development which has to be robust enough to allow for opportunities which can develop and move through the passage of time, through economic, civic and cultural evolution of the urban environment.” At Westgate the mall is an integrated component of the overall shopping experience and will collaborate with the main street to provide a diverse and exciting offer. It will comprise specialty and major retail stores, ample parking and will be designed to complement other elements of the town.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Fun, enjoyment and laughter – Westgate’s entertainment will take centre stage. There is currently exciting plans in development for an extended entertainment precinct, which will include the usual movies but so much more.

EXISTING WESTGATE:

The existing and very successful Westgate retail area was built in 1998.This area will be enhanced by upgrades to the Main St and integrated into Westgate’s expansion.

While strolling through the 'scrapers high, Three's thoughts were lost in fog, "Oh, It don't got teams like Bulls or Bears, But Demons and Bulldogs. I say," he said, "this town of Melbourne's Very like Chicago."

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #26
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #27
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #28
whizz_pat

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks alot for the info, SYDNEY.
whizz_pat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #29
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz_pat View Post
Thanks alot for the info, SYDNEY.
No worries

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #30
puketotara
Planner

Likes (Received): 1

Where is the rapid transit infrastructure?

The guy in the video says that he is happy to be developing a greenfield site because he isn't constrained by existing roads and buildings. This is the perfect time to be putting public transport infrastructure that will be needed to get all those workers and shoppers to Westgate.

A development of this size in most other countries would see metro, heavy rail or bus rapid transit infrastructure in place before any building starts.

When will they learn!
puketotara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #31
nilut

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Can't say I approve of this render - look at all the cars
At least the renders are somewhat realistic for once, showing all open spaces filled with cars.
nilut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #32
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilut View Post
At least the renders are somewhat realistic for once, showing all open spaces filled with cars.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #33
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Developer's council road rage

Auckland Council will have to pay a property developer more-than-$400,000 before he will allow a road through his West Auckland subdivision to be opened to the public. Neighbouring residents of the McWhirter Farm subdivision in Massey say they have been waiting four years for the road to be opened so they don't have to have trucks travelling down narrow side roads to reach the Westgate Shopping Centre. But property developer John Long, who is building the subdivision, said the council owes him $469,229 and until he's paid he won't allow the road running through the subdivision, Westgate Dr, to be changed from private to public. Council resource consent required Long's company Neon Limited to turn part of the subdivision into a reserve and plant it with native trees. The council then agreed to buy it for $670,876.

Long's company then owed the council $69,825 for reserve contributions and $131,822 to sign off on the second part of his five stage subdivision, taking the total owed from the council down to $469,229. "I want to vest the council the road at the same time that I vest them the reserve. Until I'm paid I won't give them either. The council owes me a lot of money and so far all the information I have been able to get is that they do not have the capital in the reserves budget to pay me," he said. "I was quite happy for them to owe me the money which we would work off as the five subdivisions are completed, but they have taken too long to make up their minds." Westgate Dr joins Royal Rd to Don Buck Rd while passing through Westgate Shopping Centre.

Long wants the road open to make life easier for people heading to the shopping centre and so that residents won't have to deal with the other busy roads in the area. Council public affairs and media manager Glyn Walters said discussions with vesting the road are still continuing and until they are completed the road will remain privately owned by Long. Massey resident Fran Hartnell is tired of waiting for the road to open. "We understand that negotiations can take a while but this is ridiculous. We're not only concerned about our road being destroyed but there are a lot of children who live in the area and we worry for their safety," she said.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #34
Matt L

Likes (Received): 48

One gets the feeling that Fran has a sense of entitlement. Of the developer hasn't started and built the road already then she wouldn't be complaining. I would also almost guarantee that she wants it open not for the reasons she claims but so it is quicker for her to drive to the shops
Matt L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #35
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Community consultation for Westgate facilities begins

Auckland Council has begun public consultation and engagement to find out what people want for two new community facilities in Westgate. The centres are part of the major investment and redevelopment now underway as part of the transformation of Auckland’s north west. A state of the art library is being built in the new town centre at Westgate. When it is finished (early 2014), the existing Massey Library in Don Buck Rd will relocate, with the space at the existing library becoming available for community use. The council wants to know what members of the community and individuals would like to see happen in that space as well as in the planned new major multi-million-dollar Westgate Community Centre which will be in the town centre’s park.

Westgate is a key growth point for the region, and its transformation will have significant benefits for surrounding communities. As part of the consultation process, the council is inviting people to make submissions or to attend one of a series of workshops and interviews will be conducted. Feedback forms are available at various locations such as the Massey Library and the council’s Huapai Service Centre and people can have their say online by filling out the survey at www.aucklandcouncil.govtnz/hendersonmassey. “We couldn’t be more excited about the transformation of Auckland’s north west and two new community facilities at Westgate, part of our Long-term Plan, are the icing on the cake,” says Henderson-Massey Local Board chair Vanessa Neeson.

“This is a great opportunity to ensure the community is well taken care of for the next 30 years and I hope as many people as possible make submissions. “We need as much feedback as possible so we can deliver the best We will also be engaging youth through social media and working with the West Youth Council.” The transformation of Auckland’s north west extends from Westgate in Henderson-Massey, through Hobsonville and onto Hobsonville Point in Upper Harbour, where a whole new community is being created. Around 3000 new homes and two schools (a primary and a secondary) are being built. Ferry services to central Auckland from Hobsonville Point are expected to start early next year.

For more information about what’s happening in the north west generally go to www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/northwest.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #36
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Westgate BROCHURE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #37
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

VIDEO from News thread.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #38
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Northwest plans include more homes, jobs

Big plans are afoot around Hobsonville and Westgate, transforming Auckland's northwest. Three centres covering 450ha form a commercial and retail hub for the northwest, likely to bring 19,700 new jobs and 5,500 new homes. The hub's impact will be felt Auckland-wide, including in Rodney and the Hibiscus Coast. The first stage of the $1-billion project is a new town centre at the westward-expanding Westgate shopping centre (by 2017), a new 3,000-home and marine precinct at Hobsonville Point (2021) and redevelopment of the Hobsonville village centre (2030). Earthworks are well underway at Westgate on the Greenfields housing, commercial and industrial project, to help the city cope with an extra million people expected in the next 30 years. Much of the work can be seen from the new State Highway 16 motorway extension towards Kumeu and the new Upper Harbour motorway. The project means retail and jobs in an area that sees many people travelling long distances to work and shop. Developing the area has been on the table for the past decade, originally under the former Waitakere City Council. Now it is a joint development between Auckland Council and the New Zealand Retail Property Group. The council's investment is $323 million. The north-west transformation project is a triumph of collaboration between the council and development partners, Deputy Mayor Penny Hulse said. ''It's a blueprint for what can be achieved as the region grows and develops under the direction of the Auckland Plan. The result will be a balanced and integrated urban community ensuring regional growth and social, recreational, environmental and transport benefits. It will definitely be the place to live, work, do business, play and shop.'' A new town centre with shops and restaurants is being built next to the existing Westgate shopping centre, which will stay. The new extension will be larger than Sylvia Park in Mt Wellington and Albany's main shopping area. It will include large format shopping, a 3,500sqm library, a business park with three-to-four-level office buildings and possibly a home brand area. High density housing is likely around the town centre with a mix of styles elsewhere. Recreational facilities are planned, including trails around stormwater lakes. Road links include a two-kilometre main road through the Westgate development and access from Fred Taylor Dr (the old SH16) along Northside Dr, with a bridge across the Kumeu motorway extension to link the Upper Harbour motorway ... MORE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #39
Matt L

Likes (Received): 48

Council released this video a few days ago

Matt L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #40
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

DNZ buys new Westgate mall site

DNZ Property Fund Ltd has signed a conditional agreement to buy the site for an enclosed mall in the 56ha Westgate Town Centre development at the top of the North-western Motorway. The development land in zone 5 of the proposed centre has resource consent for an enclosed shopping centre of about 34,000m². DNZ will pay NZ Retail Property Group Ltd (Mark Gunton & Bryce Donne) $25 million for it. Conditions NZRPG has to satisfy by Monday 27 May are that the part of the zone 5 development land held under contract with a third party has settled, and a lease has been granted & subsequently assigned to DNZ in respect of part of the zone 5 development land. If the conditions are satisfied, settlement will occur within 5 working days of new title being granted. DNZ chief executive Paul Duffy said yesterday: "This is an exceptional opportunity for DNZ in one of Auckland's major growth nodes. The opportunity to invest in a regional retail greenfields project which is zoned and holds resource consent is unique, and the centre is projected to be dominant within its catchment ... MORE

+ INSTAGRAM