daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy

Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy Discussing developments in infrastructure, transportation & economy

Old June 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #4081
banuthev
~ Sri Lanka ~

Likes (Received): 7

The Most Common Aircraft at Colombo (CMB)

I was just wondering what is the most common aircraft that can be seen at Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport. I mean the most specific common type. e.g. A306, A320, A332, B738 ...

Please Vote on this Link : http://www.airsrilanka.org/forum/sho...8CMB%29&p=3204

Thanks!
banuthev no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #4082
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs

Likes (Received): 378

‘A Sri Lankan in space - not the stuff of dreams’
Historic task undertaken by SupremeSAT and Great Wall Corporation:

Quote:
There is a possibility of Sri Lanka sending an astronaut into space in less than four years.

This historic task has been undertaken by the Sri Lankan company SupremeSAT and China’s state- owned biggest satellite manufacturing institution, Great Wall Corporation (CGWIC).

The agreement will be signed in Beijing where the Chinese company is based.

http://dailynews.lk/2012/07/05/news01.asp
7freedom7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #4083
mrpanini

Likes (Received): 191

sorry about the large file size, but necessary to see the details

Looks like there is lots of room for CMB airport expansion in these pics!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pontfir...n/photostream/
mrpanini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4084
Shakeel

Likes (Received): 34

Are u for real is this BIA or Ratmalana? What a sleepy structure.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4085
Praetorian

Likes (Received): 23

^Of course these pics are of KIA

However with regards to the "space" y'all are forgetting the SLAF base left of the runway in these pics.
Praetorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4086
Skyler
Far away from CMB

These photos are not clear much.Also don't forget that BIA air port surroundings are more beautiful than any other air port surroundings in the region.It is all about sky blue and dark green.
Skyler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4087
Praetorian

Does anyone else find KIA's concourse is kind of unfriendly?

I mean it's just a LONG corridor with gates to the left or right of you -but they are locked away.

While this has been done for an extra layer of security, i believe it is unnecessary. Heathrow does not have the extra security layer at the gate itself, nor do many other airports.

Having the gates locked away also creates a sort of claustrophobic feeling and at KIA with the outside security checks, the low ceilings plus the tunnel it already feels cramped up.

Hope the New Terminal building and concourse planned for construction this year, will not mimic this.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #4088
mrpanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
Does anyone else find KIA's concourse is kind of unfriendly?

I mean it's just a LONG corridor with gates to the left or right of you -but they are locked away.

While this has been done for an extra layer of security, i believe it is unnecessary. Heathrow does not have the extra security layer at the gate itself, nor do many other airports.

Having the gates locked away also creates a sort of claustrophobic feeling and at KIA with the outside security checks, the low ceilings plus the tunnel it already feels cramped up.

Hope the New Terminal building and concourse planned for construction this year, will not mimic this.
It's a matter of perspective I suppose. It is a rather cold design, but I remember landing at CMB one night after a trip to Pakistan and how bright, clean and modern the CMB concourse seemed after Karachi airport.

I personally wish they made the design 'Jeffrey Bawa tropical' , so passengers stepping off the plane and into the terminal feel they've landed in a tropical paradise. I never understood the blue color choice either. Something to do with the cricket team colors?
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #4089
mrpanini

Check out this very interesting trip report (with lots of photos) on Colombo Airport

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/162285/

The website is a little tricky to navigate. At the bottom of the first page of this report where it says "CONTINUED BELOW" click on

"2 Ronerone: Boarding Pass to Kuala Lumpur I was absolutely stunned as I stepped into the main terminal building...." to get to the second page and the Colombo Airport part of the story.
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #4090
Praetorian

For those who think everything is hunky dory at UL and even CMB perhaps a read of these reviews (6 pages in total) will give you another POV.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/sri_lan-6.htm

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/sri_lan.htm

Lot of negative impressions, and i sadly must agree with such based on my recent experience with UL in June 2012.

You simply do not run an airline like this, where the whims and fancies of Government stooges over rides the business model and where said stooges and sycophants holding high positions of authority are allowed to make poor, selfish, impractical decisions designed for their own “fun”. Even more saddening is the crushing and explusion of those in the management of UL who are capable and have good positive & good intentions.

It is really sad how an airline that was doing well and had lots of potential, has tanked.
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #4091
banuthev
~ Sri Lanka ~

Mihin Lanka to launch Bahrain - Link
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #4092
banuthev
~ Sri Lanka ~

SLAF Station Iranamadu expansion - http://www.airsrilanka.org/forum/sho...ull=1#post3350
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4093
banuthev
~ Sri Lanka ~

4R-ADB all set to fly and 4R-ALJ expected to fly in August. 4R-ALJ cabin & IFE pictures posted in Air Sri Lanka Forum.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4094
Amal

Likes (Received): 314

Nice video from the pilot's point of view...

You can see the beginnings of the Katunayake highway to the right and it does look like there is a lot of space for expansion - at least from the air. Looks beautiful.

Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #4095
Praetorian

Another video where you can see the Katunayake expressway. This was filmed in January 2012, so you can see the progress in construction compared to the video posted by Amal above.

Katunayake expressway is around 3:20 minute mark.

Bonus: You can see Kfir fighter planes nicely lined up in a whats a lovely shot between 7:00-9:00 minute mark.

Camera is a bit shakey.

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4096
Amal

Indian football league set to take off with new agreement

26 July 2012 | Posted in Sponsorship, Football, Asia | By Tom Love

The Elite Football League of India (ELFI) has announced a new agreement with SriLankan Airlines.

Under terms of the deal, the national flag carrier of Sri Lanka will serve as the official airline of India's first professional American football league.

Founded in 2011, the first EFLI season will begin in November 2012. Ten teams across India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh will take part in the inaugural ELFI season.

"It gives me immense pleasure to announce the sponsorship agreement between SriLankan Airlines and the Elite Football League of India," said SriLankan Airlines chairman Nishantha Wickremasinghe. "SriLankan Airlines has gladly supported in flying down the Indian and Pakistani teams and their American coaches and medical teams to ensure the success of the event. A large contingent of U.S sports and international media have also been flown down with our assistance, including the renowned TEN Sports channel, to provide world-wide coverage of the event, giving exposure for South Asian talent to an international audience.

"I wish to extend my best wishes to the organizers and teams for success in the competition, and to the sports fans of Sri Lanka, I invite you to come and enjoy the experience at this premier season of the EFLI," Wickremasinghe added.

ELFI co-chief executive Richard Whelan said, "This new relationship with SriLankan Airlines is a significant achievement for the EFLI. Team EFLI is delighted and very appreciative that SriLankan Airlines, such a powerful and winning organisation has agreed to unite with the EFLI."

Financial terms of SriLankan Airlines' commitment were not released.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/i...new_agreement/
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #4097
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amal View Post
Indian football league set to take off with new agreement

26 July 2012 | Posted in Sponsorship, Football, Asia | By Tom Love

The Elite Football League of India (ELFI) has announced a new agreement with SriLankan Airlines.

Under terms of the deal, the national flag carrier of Sri Lanka will serve as the official airline of India's first professional American football league.

Founded in 2011, the first EFLI season will begin in November 2012. Ten teams across India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh will take part in the inaugural ELFI season.

"It gives me immense pleasure to announce the sponsorship agreement between SriLankan Airlines and the Elite Football League of India," said SriLankan Airlines chairman Nishantha Wickremasinghe. "SriLankan Airlines has gladly supported in flying down the Indian and Pakistani teams and their American coaches and medical teams to ensure the success of the event. A large contingent of U.S sports and international media have also been flown down with our assistance, including the renowned TEN Sports channel, to provide world-wide coverage of the event, giving exposure for South Asian talent to an international audience.

"I wish to extend my best wishes to the organizers and teams for success in the competition, and to the sports fans of Sri Lanka, I invite you to come and enjoy the experience at this premier season of the EFLI," Wickremasinghe added.

ELFI co-chief executive Richard Whelan said, "This new relationship with SriLankan Airlines is a significant achievement for the EFLI. Team EFLI is delighted and very appreciative that SriLankan Airlines, such a powerful and winning organisation has agreed to unite with the EFLI."

Financial terms of SriLankan Airlines' commitment were not released.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/i...new_agreement/

Has SriLankan airlines already flown these individuals over or are they going to?

I hope they are paid handsomly for this service (please tell me it's not some free or cut price ride). And Lets also hope Nishantha hasn't pocketed any of the funds.
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #4098
Amal

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #4099
Praetorian

Old July 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4100
banuthev
~ Sri Lanka ~

SriLankan Airlines Winter 2012 Network - http://www.airsrilanka.org/forum/sho...ull=1#post3414

Tags
airports, aviation