daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

Anti-social behavior in Ireland. Nine stabbed, one dead at Phoenix Park concert.

Something needs to be done about this.. the government need to step in.

Quote:
Nine people stabbed at Swedish House Mafia concert in the Phoenix Park

Nine people were injured in separate stabbing incidents at a concert in the Phoenix Park in Dublin last night.

The incidents happened at a concert by electronic dance act Swedish House Mafia.

Three men are being treated at Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown. Two of them were seriously wounded.

Gardaí are continuing to question a 23-year-old man who is being held at Blanchardstown Garda Station.

Gardaí have appealed for witnesses to contact them in Blanchardstown on 6667000 or at any other garda station.

They say they are investigating the possibility that there was more than one person responsible for the stabbings.

Meanwhile, gardaí are also appealing for information on the identity of a man who was at the concert but died in Connolly Hospital last night.

The man, who was in his early 20s, sought medical attention at the concert, before being taken to hospital.

A post mortem is to be carried out later today to establish the cause of death.

There were also several arrests for public order offences before and during the concert.

In a statement issued by MCD Productions, who organised the event, it said every precaution as far as possible was taken to ensure the safety and security of the audience at all times.

"Despite our best efforts (with security and gardaí personnel levels well in excess of the required numbers for a licensed event of this size) there is only so much one can do to combat anti-social behaviour," it said.

It added that they are continuing to fully co-operate with gardaí and have handed over all CCTV footage from the area to them.

Managing director of MCD Denis Desmond said "we are extremely shocked and saddened to hear that a male adult while attending the Phoenix Park concert on Saturday 7 July suddenly took ill and later passed away in hospital.

"The case is being treated by An Gardai Siochana as a sudden death and we are doing everything possible to help them with their inquiries."
Opposition justice spokesperson, Fianna Fail's Dara Calleary has called on Justice Minister Alan Shatter to address the rising violence and anti-social behaviour in the capital.

Mr Calleary said the rise in the number of instances of violent crime in recent weeks was alarming.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0708/sta...k-concert.html
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 8th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
odlum833

Likes (Received): 621

This is far from the first time this promoter has been in trouble for the way it stages events.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #3
plank007

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
This is far from the first time this promoter has been in trouble for the way it stages events.
Indeed - http://www.u.tv/News/Co-Tyrone-teen-...a-0a969e3e0721

I think it's a disgrace. MCD should never get a license for an outdoor concert again.

What sort of message is Ireland sending out to the World and tourists in Dublin last night?

By all accounts people were fighting in the street, drinking/taking drugs in the street and other various explicit and illegal acts.
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
plank007

Statement from MCD

Quote:
PHOENIX PARK STATEMENT
News last updated: 08-07-2012
to news

Statement issued by Denis Desmond, Managing Director MCD Productions.

Obviously we are very disappointed that an individual or very small number of individuals engaged in anti-social behaviour, attempting to spoil the enjoyment of others. Such behaviour is certainly not reflective of the vast majority of the 45,000 fans who were extremely well behaved and should be congratulated. Unfortunately, anti-social behaviour has become more and more part of daily society with no town or village across the country escaping such conduct.

As event promoters we work extremely closely with An Gardai Siochana and fully support their tactical operations in combating anti-social behaviour.

Public safety is always our number one priority and we actively engage in detailed planning in advance to ensure this. Ticket holders entering the site were subject to a search permissible by law. Every precaution as far as possible was taken to ensure the safety and security of the audience at all times. All CCTV footage captured from the area has been supplied to the Gardai.

Despite our best efforts (with Security and Gardai personnel levels well in excess of the required numbers for a licensed event of this size) there is only so much one can do to combat anti-social behaviour.

An Gardai Siochana have already made an arrest and we are continuing to fully co-operate with them therefore it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage of their investigation however in the meantime we would like to wish those affected a full and speedy recovery.

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=9686...tement&cat=all
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
odlum833

Boards.ie is in litigation with MCD (or was, don't know what the story is now) for posters commenting about them. So i'd refrain from mentioning them here. They are cúnts when it comes to online criticism. I could say so much about them. But feel, like alot of people, I can't. Not here anyway.

As for the wider point of gurrier behaviour - of course something should be done. Let's just say though that i'm not satisfied with the whole thing with this concert or others under this group.

Old July 8th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #6
plank007

I'll say what I want about MCD. Denis Desmond can come sue me or SSC for speaking my mind....

And MCD aren't the only party at fault. Everyone from the skangers at the concert right up the ministers cutting the police force and their budget are to blame in my opinion.

With one hand we should be harshly dealing with criminals who stab people, take/sell drugs and cause anti-social behavior on our streets and with the other hand educating our youngsters that drugs, drink and anti-social behavior is wrong.

The worrying fact is these problems only seem to be associated with these Islands (UK and Ireland). You go to Europe, Asia or North America and they are alot more mature about drink/drugs and you don't have people stabbing each other at concerts or you don't have riots after the clubs and bars close. What the hell is wrong with this country.... we need to get a grip on our streets again.

The annoying fact is politicians don't care, because riots/stabbing at concerts or junkies roaming city centres at night don't effect them in their cosy suburban neighbourhoods. Bank crisises, do.

Last edited by plank007; July 8th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7
JD47

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
By all accounts people were fighting in the street, drinking/taking drugs in the street and other various explicit and illegal acts.
I know someone who was in a pub close to the park last night and she said that they had to lock them into the pub because people were trying to get inside in there hundreds. Its a disgrace and the goverment need to do something about it.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #8
plank007

You can imagine if 9 people got stabbed at an international soccer match or rugby match in this country. Their would be outrage across the country and we most likely face serve punishment from FIFA / IRB.

Likewise I feel some sort of punishment should be handed out to the promoters of this event. Loss of licences for future outdoor concerts? Fines and higher health and safety premiums for future concerts?

Last edited by plank007; July 8th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #9
plank007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I know someone who was in a pub close to the park last night and she said that they had to lock them into the pub because people were trying to get inside in there hundreds. Its a disgrace and the goverment need to do something about it.
I've heard similar stories. Also heard stories of young families being abused by drunk/stoned people on the Luas before the concert. I believe they had to stop Luas services early because of trouble?

What I don't understand is, clearly alot of people were drunk/stoned before they even got into the concert arena. Why isn't there a policy of refusing entry to people who are intoxicated? Just like you wouldn't get into 02/Croker/Aviva if you were intoxicated. Hell alot of bars and clubs would refuse entry to intoxicated people.
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #10
odlum833

Tougher sentences, more Gardaí on the streets, less ******* retarded judges - solved.

Old July 8th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #11
JD47

Quote:
I've heard similar stories. Also heard stories of young families being abused by drunk/stoned people on the Luas before the concert.
Thats just a typical day on the Luas my friend

Quote:
What I don't understand is, clearly alot of people were drunk/stoned before they even got into the concert arena. Why isn't there a policy of refusing entry to people who are intoxicated? Just like you wouldn't get into 02/Croker/Aviva if you were intoxicated. Hell alot of bars and clubs would refuse entry to intoxicated people.
Yeah I know what you mean. It could be because they might not close the park when concerts are on. I dont know if they do but if they dont, then I suppose any drunk can walk straight in and try get into the concert.
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #12
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

I still can't find a definitive explanation as to exactly what happened. I was browsing through the papers in Marks and Spencer yesterday and every paper had a different casualty toll:

One paper stated that 9 individuals were stabbed and one person died of a drug overdose.

Another paper claimed that 3 died from drug related causes.

A different paper reported that there were two fatalities, one from a stabbing incident another from drugs.

Added to all that confusion a teenage girl went missing but thankfully has still been located.

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #13
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Another paper claimed that 3 died from drug related causes.
I heard that 3 people died from drugs but that two of them might not have been linked to the concert in the Phoenix Park.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: