daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #881
LCIII

Likes (Received): 605

Could stay open forever. Has nothing to do with the amazon land.
LCIII está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #882
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
When can we expect to see Amazon complete the last phase of its Seattle South Lake HQ buildings?
According to this article, it should be completed in December.
Vashon118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #883
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1068

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12042775.html

July 10, 2012

A closer look at Amazon's plans for new campus
By JOURNAL STAFF

Amazon wants a “shared use street” on a block of Lenora between Seventh and Westlake. The three high-rises in Rufus 2.0 — the campus Amazon.com plans for the Denny Triangle — will have windows that open and a “shared use street,” according to a new design packet filed with the city.

Today at 6 p.m. a city board will review the latest design for the 3.3-million-square-foot campus on three blocks centered around Seventh and Lenora. The meeting will be at Seattle City Hall.

The packet includes new images of the building facades and Amazon's streetscape plans. The complete packet is at http://tiny.cc/iyy6gw.

The design team led by NBBJ calls the facades for the 38-story towers “a work in progress,” but information in the packet says they expect to use similar materials to create “a family resemblance between the multiple blocks when seen from a distance.”

The packet includes an updated image of the campus' meeting center. The rendering shows the five-story center from Sixth and Lenora.

The meeting center is expected to be part of the first phase, on a block between Sixth and Seventh avenues and Virginia and Lenora streets.

One of the project architects said earlier that construction could start in about a year. He said there will be two to four years between the development of each block, though two years was more likely.

The image and description suggest the block would be similar to a “woonerf,” the Dutch term for a curbless, narrow street shared by cars, pedestrians and bicyclists. Motor vehicle traffic is slowed by trees, planters and other obstacles.

An NBBJ spokesperson referred questions to Amazon, and an Amazon spokesperson declined to comment.

The Rufus 2.0 name is an apparent reference to a dog who was a fixture at Amazon.com during the early days. The Seattle Times reported that the company website says Rufus accompanied his owner to work every day, and that led to today's policy of allowing employees to bring their dogs to work.

Tonight's meeting is another step toward getting the city's OK for the project. The design review packet indicates the project team is not seeking a formal approval at this session, but sees it “as an opportunity to catch everyone up on our progress and build understanding for an informed approval at a later date.”

Amazon.com has declined to say who will build the campus. The Seneca Group is advising Amazon and managing the development. It is listed on city documents as the contractor.

Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #884
jessejb

Likes (Received): 260

We shall call this district "Little Bellevue!"
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #885
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

I love the notion of a woonerf in downtown Seattle (so will the bums.) Where would urban dreams be without a few weeks spent blitzed in Amsterdam ..
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #886
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 358

Here's the write up following the design review tonight:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._amazon11.html
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #887
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 16

Are we getting a Seattle version of the NY Times building?

image hosted on flickr

And on second glance, maybe that smaller building in the back right too??
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #888
testdrive

Likes (Received): 121

We want these buildings to be similar but distinct while at the same time showing diversity but also have a sense of continuity ...... and to give the appearance of height while not looking tall and giving a nod to pedestrian friendly environment that allows traffic to flow freely................sorry I but I suddenly found myself thrashing around for a theme
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #889
NW Mike

Likes (Received): 52

I feel that NBBJ will not fail to impress us with their beautiful designs.. They always make great buildings. I really like the Dutch street idea "Woonerf" which they should continue beyond the development to blend into the community. But I kind of wish the designs were a little more aggressive. Maybe defining the future of Seattle. I really miss seeing Heron & Pagota style of towers built. Even though these will have "nice" and probably great pedestrian features on the ground, it would have been nice to see something a little less American I guess. There are so many incredible towers going up worldwide and US developers just don't take the leap for change. But I'm still stoked that Amazon is building downtown...
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #890
RMacherat
Buy used books

This project can be evaluated from two perspectives, from ground level and as it enhances our skyline. I really think it will be spectacular to woonerf through, and people won't pay much attention to the vertical. But for the skyline, with just about every building in that getting-very-crowded neighborhood a square glass box the same exact height .. yawn.
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #891
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayproduct View Post
Are we getting a Seattle version of the NY Times building?

image hosted on flickr

And on second glance, maybe that smaller building in the back right too??
Exactly what I had in my mind when I first saw the design. That is another reason why I think block 20 tower should be little taller so it would stand out like the one in NY. NY Times building looks great when it stands out of that area.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #892
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1068

From todays DJC

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12042856.html

July 12, 2012

Cycle track and shared-use street may be part of Amazon campus
By MARC STILES
Journal Staff Reporter

Amazon.com's massive project in the Denny Triangle could bring other big changes to the neighborhood if the city's plans pan out.

The area may get a cycle track, which is a bicycle path that's separated from motor vehicle traffic, on Seventh Avenue between Denny Way and Pine Street, and a “shared-use street” could go in on Lenora between Seventh and Westlake. Shared-use streets are curbless roads where pedestrians and bicyclists have priority, and cars are slowed by traffic-calming devices.

These are some of the public benefits Amazon.com is offering in exchange for the city vacating alleys for the three-block project centered around Seventh and Lenora.

The city also is looking at putting a small park at Westlake and Lenora where Enterprise operates a car rental business, though this is not one of the public benefits Amazon is proposing.

Amazon's design team reviewed some of the proposals Tuesday night at a city design review meeting. Architects from NBBJ explained how people could pedal directly from the cycle track into bike parking areas within Amazon's three high-rises.

A packet on file with the city shows small trash cans that are tilted so cyclists can toss garbage on the go, and rails where riders could rest their feet at intersections that would have with traffic lights for cyclists.

“The cycle track is really important to the city,” said landscape architect Mark Brands of Site Workshop.

Bryan Stevens, a spokesman for the city's Department of Planning and Development, said after the meeting the plan calls for most of the path to be located between street parking and the sidewalk. Existing on-street parking would be retained.

Amazon plans to put in part of the cycle track, but the overall phasing has not been determined.

For the shared-use street, Brands said the design team is working with city agencies to explore “how far we can go with this.” NBBJ's Dale Alberda said the street will be integrated into the rest of the project and feel like “a living room.”

Stevens said his agency and the Seattle Department of Transportation are working with Amazon to consider how the street would function. Some on-street parking would remain on the block, where he said traffic volumes are light.

Amazon's plans call for thousands of stalls of underground parking.

The shared-use street would be across Westlake from a new park on the Enterprise site, though that project is a ways off. Parks and Recreation spokeswoman Dewey Potter said the city does not have money to develop the park, and Enterprise has several more years on its lease.

Among the other public benefits Amazon is proposing are improving Westlake Avenue with an upgraded streetcar stop, “gateway” art, more public open space and through-block connections for the company's campus. It also would voluntarily increase building setbacks from the streets.

According to a packet on file with the city, Amazon has engaged “an experienced art adviser” and is developing a program that will include purchased and commissioned works for the public spaces. Large art pieces are proposed for at least two spots to help draw people to the through-block connections.

Planning and Development Department officials anticipate having two more design review board meetings. The Seattle Design Commission also is reviewing the project. The city council will make the final decision on public benefits.

NBBJ officials have said they expect construction of the first block to start in about a year, and that the other two blocks will be developed every two years. Amazon still has to buy the land from Clise Properties.

Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #893
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffhauser View Post
I think they look fine. Sure they're a little under inspired but they could certainly be worse too. All in all I'm a fan.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #894
RMacherat
Buy used books

Those biking amenities are truly precious. Good for them, looking out for these folks.
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #895
D Green
Sartorial Rapture

Likes (Received): 161

This won't look like an addition to the skyline from Puget Sound, but I'm certain it'll be visible/influential infill from I-5 and Cap/First Hill.
D Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #896
LCIII

Check the renderings offered in the last design packet- it WILL be visible from Puget Sound. Wont be overly dramatic, but it WILL be visible.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:37 AM   #897
Seasun

Likes (Received): 151

This Amazon building is getting close to done. Photos from lunchtime today.

I was thinking this would be kind of a dog park. Maybe it still will be.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #898
LCIII

Looks like a lot of dirt/mud for a dog park in a region that receives a lot of rain next to a building that allows dogs inside...asking for a mess?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:51 AM   #899
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasun View Post
What exactly are the concrete things in that plaza? Benches? Bike Racks? Garage Vents?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM   #900
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
What exactly are the concrete things in that plaza? Benches? Bike Racks? Garage Vents?
A combination of benches and planters per their plan. Should be adding some wood for the seating and - of course - plants.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote