daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure All about Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways » Aviation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #5461
pesto

Likes (Received): 262

Well, leaving aside the politics and basic economics, both Dems and GOP are rational people making decisions about spending. And on NO agenda do pokey streetcars to nowhere take precedence over rapid lines in congested areas.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #5462
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 158

Unfortunately that may be wishful thinking but it ain't reality. If pokey streetcars like the entire system being funded in DC didn't take precedent over rapid lines, we'd have our subway to the sea by now. Though there are many a criteria as to why DC is already building its streetcar system and why we haven't even been able to put a shovel in the ground for the Purple Line extension, it is well known that the Fed in these later years favor LRT over HRT or subways.
In addition certain members of Congress (and not a small number) are infected with a rationale that IMO needs immediate medical attention. Here is a quote from one of those geniuses.........party will go un-named.
"This is their agenda," Bachmann states bluntly. "I know it is hard to believe, it's hard to fathom -- but this is 'mission accomplished' for them," she asserts. "They want Americans to take transit and move to the inner cities. They want Americans to move to the urban core, live in tenements, [and] take light rail to their government jobs. That's their vision for America." - House Republican Michele Bachman. Agenda 21 anyone? Isn't that what we all want on this board? Let's do this, she and her ilk can have their pick up trucks and go work at Walmart and we can have our trains to go to work for the gubment.

Kidding aside, many of us have been following the trials of the Transportation Bill, Mayor V's relentless trips to DC to secure a loan to push forward 30/10 and the constant grandstanding of yes, both conservative Republicans and a few Dems who put ideology and a fear of their base before what is best for the country. It's not even anything to debate, this is just how it is.

From the Transport Politic:

Time to Fight

» With a House like this, what advances can American transportation policy make?

Actions by members of the U.S. House over the past week suggest that Republican opposition to the funding of alternative transportation has developed into an all-out ideological battle. Though their efforts are unlikely to advance much past the doors of their chamber, the policy recklessness they have displayed speaks truly poorly of the future of the nation’s mobility systems.
Read on:
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...time-to-fight/

In the two years that Dems controlled both Houses I'd like to have seen a raise of the gas tax (that didn't happen) and the application of a VMT fee (that didn't happen). So although Dems go much further than Repubs generally speaking, they don't or didn't go far enough.

Last edited by klamedia; June 30th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5463
klamedia
Silver Lake

So the Highway Bill passed. And as the name states, it's more for highways and not trains and buses. Oh well, seems like the theme of the week. Rather have an imperfect something than a perfect nothing.

Highway bill showdown: Five things to know
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...hings-to-know/
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:44 AM   #5464
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 164

well, the best part is that about 17 billion more will be available for loans for transit projects and LA is going to get a big chunk. this is part of 30/10
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM   #5465
klamedia
Silver Lake

Is it or isn't it? So do we still need Measure R+? I'm not sure we know how much wer are getting yet.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM   #5466
LosAngelesSportsFan

yes, we still need Measure R+ because we will not be getting billions upon billions. The amounts are not clear yet
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5467
klamedia
Silver Lake

I personally feel that it is too premature to vote on a Measure R+. Perhaps the MTA and the Board of Supes don't understand because of being car drivers but when Expo has to sit at a light while stupid cars turn in front of it, a prolonging of a tax increase doesn't look attractive. It makes me feel that they don't yet know what they're doing or lack the cajones to do the right thing. And why should I throw more $$ at a street running trolley? They need to hit these projects out of the park by making them grade separated and more efficient than the car. The irony is that by not inconveniencing the car (through signal preemption, abundant parking) they weaken the attractiveness of the system in they eyes of car drivers the very people that they are trying to coax out of their cars.
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #5468
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
I personally feel that it is too premature to vote on a Measure R+. Perhaps the MTA and the Board of Supes don't understand because of being car drivers but when Expo has to sit at a light while stupid cars turn in front of it, a prolonging of a tax increase doesn't look attractive. It makes me feel that they don't yet know what they're doing or lack the cajones to do the right thing. And why should I throw more $$ at a street running trolley? They need to hit these projects out of the park by making them grade separated and more efficient than the car. The irony is that by not inconveniencing the car (through signal preemption, abundant parking) they weaken the attractiveness of the system in they eyes of car drivers the very people that they are trying to coax out of their cars.
So by making it more unplesant to drive, more people will vote to make it more unpleasant? Uh, huh. Maybe you should stay out of marketing.

I can agree on some grade-separated. But the real point is to go subway in the heart of LA and cut out the pokey trolleys to nowhere. This is going to be the dagger in the heart of any votes and won't help in DC either, where every city looking for money will point out that LA is botching transit to keep the politicos happy.

Last edited by pesto; July 5th, 2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #5469
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
So by making it more unplesant to drive, more people will vote to make it more unpleasant? Uh, huh. Maybe you should stay out of marketing.

I can agree on some grade-separated. But the real point is to go subway in the heart of LA and cut out the pokey trolleys to nowhere. This is going to be the dagger in the heart of any votes and won't help in DC either, where every city looking for money will point out that LA is botching transit to keep the politicos happy.
I don't think that you're looking at this comprehensively. In every city with a successful transit agency, parking and driving are difficult especially during rush. This long term creates a culture of transit dependency and the patronage of the system feeds on its own success. Los Angeles has quite a successful transit system if you were to ever go and check out the APTA website and bolster your argument with real data and not with what you think you see while driving and looking out the window.
LA's raw numbers are a close third in the country after Chicago and NYC and second when all interagencies in the region are tallied. As far as statistically LA falls somewhere in the middle after the usual suspects including SF, Phili and Boston. But regularly LA has the largest percentile increases on a quarterly basis due to more lines opening regularly and more people discovering the fledgling rail system.
To add to this success and to capitalize on our public investment in transit we must initiate policies that work congruently with our end goal. To lessen car dependency in the region. You pass bills like AB904 which would have lessened the required parking around transit stations giving developers the option to build larger without providing additional and costly parking spaces which make it harder otherwise for their endeavors to pencil out. In exchange units without parking or reduced parking could be put on the market at a cheaper rate which I think could become a very attractive trend.
This would be a comprehensive approach and a comprehensive approach is one that LA would do well to follow.
So you may be correct that my approach is not slick enough to be a successful marketing campaign. But if I promise you that I will stay out of marketing, please promise me that you will stay out of planning.

Last edited by klamedia; July 6th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #5470
klamedia
Silver Lake

Rumor has it that Metro will announce 2 am train service on weekends. This will start on June 27th.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5471
pesto

That would actually be useful. I'm not a nightowl, but I do like to grab some sushi after the theater, and that pushes you toward midnight pretty quickly.

Especially if you end up really stoned with a hooker afterwards.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5472
klamedia
Silver Lake

First rule of hiring a hooker: Take a cab.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #5473
LosAngelesSportsFan

ABOUT DAMN TIME!!

From the Source Blog

In the nearly three years that I’ve been running this blog, I’m pretty sure the most requested service change from readers has been for more late night rail service, particularly on the weekends.

Metro CEO Art Leahy has decided to do just that. The specifics:

•All Metro Rail lines will run until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. That includes the Red/Purple Line subway, the Blue Line, Expo Line, Green Line and Gold Line.

•Trains will run every 20 minutes between midnight and 2 a.m.

•The Orange Line will run until 2:40 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights in order to meet the last trains at the North Hollywood Red Line station. The Orange Line will also run every 20 minutes between midnight and 2:40 a.m.

•The plan at this moment is to begin late-night service on the weekend of July 27-28 but Metro is also working to determine if late night service is needed on the Silver Line, as well as working with Metrolink on the possibility of extending their service to connect with Metro’s.

Metro will provide more details on scheduling later in the month and there will be a considerable p.r. push to let everyone know about the new service. Suffice it to say, this is good news for workers and those going out on weekend nights, whether it’s to restaurants, bars or the many events in the region.
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #5474
pesto

It will be interesting to see how this affects business, particularly in Hollywood and DT, but also in Ktown and NoHo. I don't think of Pasadena and CC as late night hangs, but maybe there too.

But doesn't the weekend start Thursday?
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #5475
klamedia
Silver Lake

This is good enough for now. Those that risk driving drunk will still risk driving drunk, sad to say.
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #5476
uRbAnlP
甘い

Likes (Received): 156

This would've been so convenient 2 years ago when after a concert at the Whisky I ended up walking home because buses and trains won't run after 1am.
uRbAnlP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #5477
pesto

I hate to ask, but where do you live?
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #5478
uRbAnlP
甘い

K-town, by Western. It was a nice walk crossing Hancock Park from Hollywood. I probably won't do it again though.
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5479
klamedia
Silver Lake

Both the 4 on Santa Monica and the 2 on Sunset are 24 hour buses read: runs all night. Could have easily taken one of those buses and transferred to another 24 hour bus on Western or Vermont which would have taken you directly to Koreatown. All too often people piss on LA's transit simply because of their ignorance about the system or just flat out laziness. And even if the buses didn't run (although they do) a cab ride back to Koreatown couldn't have been that expensive. This has nothing to do with LA's transit besides there are no trains over there anyway so late night rail service still wouldn't have helped you. That stupid move of walking 6 miles in the middle of the night is all on you!
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5480
uRbAnlP
甘い

Whoa there! Hold on your horses.

I know the 2 has 24 hour service and would have probably take it Downtown and then go to a friend's house on Pico. I should've said it earlier in my post that I didn't have enough for the bus. Now, who goes out with no money, to a bar at night? Well, one of my friends bailed on me and... well it's a long story. I was pissed off that night after watching VBV and I decided to walk it home. And no, it wasn't a 'stupid' move, and if by laziness you mean I didn't look up bus times and service hours, you're wrong, besides it did me more good than harm after all. I'm not complaining because I had to walk it back, I'm complaining because the MTA decided to make this move after so many years. It's all a personal thing, don't be so harsh on other people's dumb decisions. It's all good, as I said, an hour and a half walk back home was pretty comforting.

Going back on topic, I'm pretty sure there isn't a single place in LA that would get you stranded with no place to take public transportation. There's a reason why the 24-hour bus service exist. Obviously safety is a concern when dealing with trains or buses that will run overnight.

Tags
los angeles, transportation