daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Photo Galleries > Urban Kenya

Urban Kenya Cityscapes, skylines and urban photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #441
Arzedu

Likes (Received): 182

Thika-Garissa road

A section of the Thika-Garissa road, between Matuu and Mwingi. A dream to drive on.

They are now re-designing the road, and for those who are familiar with this 300kms + plus, the bad section we consistently complained of is now under rehabilitation (over 200kms of re-carpeting work ongoing now between Mwingi and Garissa)

image hosted on flickr
Arzedu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 27th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #442
Fwesa
架構的情人

Likes (Received): 268

Here are two from: Green Sun Cities website: http://greensuncities.wordpress.com/...politan-class/

A2 Nairobi-Thika

Fwesa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #443
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 566

Good news...

Quote:
Nairobi-Nakuru Highway set for upgrade

The Government has commenced a planning study for the future upgrade of the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway between Nakuru and Naivasha.

The upgrade of the Nairobi-Nakuru 160km highway will see the Government expand an additional 70km of the road between Naivasha and Nakuru into a dual carriage-way.

Speaking during a press briefing in Nairobi on Tuesday, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Roads Eng. Michael Kamau said the traffic jam on the highway has increased because of too many commercial vehicles and narrowness of the road.

“Now the railway is carrying fewer than three per cent of the cargo from the Port of Mombasa. The number of vehicles and specifically tracks has now quadrupled on the highway.”

The road links the capital Nairobi to the country’s food basket Rift Valley and Western Kenya as well as Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Eastern DRC Congo.
http://nakuru.hivisasa.com/news/nair...ay-set-upgrade
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #444
Fwesa
架構的情人

Quote:
Nairobi-Nakuru Highway set for upgrade

The Government has commenced a planning study for the future upgrade of the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway between Nakuru and Naivasha.

The upgrade of the Nairobi-Nakuru 160km highway will see the Government expand an additional 70km of the road between Naivasha and Nakuru into a dual carriage-way.
Speaking during a press briefing in Nairobi on Tuesday, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Roads Eng. Michael Kamau said the traffic jam on the highway has increased because of too many commercial vehicles and narrowness of the road.

“Now the railway is carrying fewer than three per cent of the cargo from the Port of Mombasa. The number of vehicles and specifically tracks has now quadrupled on the highway.”

The road links the capital Nairobi to the country’s food basket Rift Valley and Western Kenya as well as Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Eastern DRC Congo.
I have been wondering ever since I saw this article why dual only the Naivasha to Nakuru section. Is that section busier than Naivasha to Limuru (where the current dual carriageway from Nairobi ends)?
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #445
samounde

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwesa View Post
I have been wondering ever since I saw this article why dual only the Naivasha to Nakuru section. Is that section busier than Naivasha to Limuru (where the current dual carriageway from Nairobi ends)?
Its busier since two major roads meet at Naivasha. One road to Mai Mahiu then to Nairobi from Naivasha flyover and the other from the flyover straight on. Though the road gets busy at the escarpments due to slow traffic up to Nairobi.
samounde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #446
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
Dont celebrate yet, the govt wants to employ some public private partnership on this which has to await passage of some bill in parliament and judging by how we have shifted to campaign mode it may not be anytime soon.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM   #447
Dhuks

Last edited by Dhuks; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #448
èđđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1479

Is lane splitting legal in Kenya? I'm just wondering after seeing a few on motorcycles cutting between lanes in a Thika road video.
èđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #449
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post
Is lane splitting legal in Kenya? I'm just wondering after seeing a few on motorcycles cutting between lanes in a Thika road video.

Its legal and all vehicles do it, but you have to do them on certain roads where the road markers indicate it, but some drivers don't care and overtake anytime..
Adm.Adama está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #450
JARIBU

Likes (Received): 169

Mkenyasili,
The last time I was in that neck-of-the-woods was about twelve years ago and I was struck by the beauty of the place: Rodi Kopany-Karungu-Sori-Magunga-Sindo-Mbita. With good roads, that area has potential of doing very well economically. The Ruma park is a good destination for tourists if well marketed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkenyasili View Post
Wow! That's great news tired of the bad roads everytime I visit my grandparents in Karungu
JARIBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #451
Dhuks

http://www.kenyaengineer.co.ke/index...-dual-carriage
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #452
Fwesa
架構的情人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
Dhuks, let me add the story to the photo:

Quote:
Western road to be expanded to dual carriage

Expansion works on the Kisumu–Kakamega–Kitale road are expected to begin October this year. The road which dissects Kakamega and Bungoma counties crossing the great Northern road in Webuye will be expanded to a dual carriage.

The expansion of the road is considered critical for the economic growth of Kakamega County as well as to help ease traffic flow on the busy road. The contract is said to have already been awarded to three contractors.

Each contractor will work on a given section of the road. One will build the road between Kisumu and Kakamega, the other one will build between Kakamega and Webuye while the third one will deal with the final section between Webuye and Kitale.

The project being financed by World Bank and the government will cost Sh10 billion.
There has been ongoing road expansion works in urban cities like the 5.5 km long dual carriageway from Jogoo Road stretching to Juja Road and other repair works on the roads. The aim is to ease access and exit from the major cities.
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #453
Mwafrika

Likes (Received): 79

Uhuru Highway....

Looking good!
Mwafrika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #454
Kinyakankick
Lights of Africa

Likes (Received): 25

Nice vision for the kisumu kitale road but also will need expansion again in about 10 years thats if Kenyans dont take to the streets again but i love seeing this when all places grow.
Kinyakankick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #455
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 1478

Don't know if this video has been posted before

Old November 19th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #456
DAKTA
Daniel, the Engineure

Likes (Received): 185

Northern Bypass

bad thing is that Waititu has been damaging our highway with his writings

"Generally urban transport system development is an endless process of supply chasing demand. The effort is incremental, endless and frustrating. The equilibrium between demand and supply is fragile and is of short period. As urban transport investments are bulky and gestation periods long, the perception of the public is that of inaction and inefficiency. The Red Fox Syndrome, of need to run faster and faster to stay where one is,operates''

DAKTA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #457
Fwesa
架構的情人

Thanks DAKTA for the shots.

Quote:
bad thing is that Waititu has been damaging our highway with his writings
That's why we should make sure he and others with similar behaviour (gosh its probably all of them) do not become Nairobi Governor.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #458
Dhuks

I love the road shoulders.
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #459
donddon

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwesa View Post
Thanks DAKTA for the shots.

That's why we should make sure he and others with similar behaviour (gosh its probably all of them) do not become Nairobi Governor.
I know three who should never step into parliament or have a senior position. Him(Waititu), Sonko and the other guy who stole the Kamukunji seat, Mbugua?? Yes they have grown less fortunate and have experienced the "ordinary" life. But they have also proved to us they do not have leadership qualities. And by leadership I don't mean having a mass following. Majangili wale.
donddon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #460
abckris

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by donddon View Post
I know three who should never step into parliament or have a senior position. Him(Waititu), Sonko and the other guy who stole the Kamukunji seat, Mbugua?? Yes they have grown less fortunate and have experienced the "ordinary" life. But they have also proved to us they do not have leadership qualities. And by leadership I don't mean having a mass following. Majangili wale.

Some people do no respect public property and just decency. You wish nice things were nice to everyone and that everybody would appreciate the goodness of orderliness and some etiquette. It is disheartening! The law should make him pay for the cleaning up of all these places dirtied with his name. The law must be strong in its terms and implementation. To some people only punishment makes it work, psychology has it that bad!!
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote