daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 965 votes, 4.99 average.
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #15041
krishnaswamy
Krishna

Likes (Received): 3145

Guys,
On TASMAC issue.I dont know how many State govt runs "liquor" business like "TASMAC" in india, justifying the revenue, illicit liquor.
do you guys feel "TASMAC" sarakku is pure? if so change your minds and it is worst adulterated than illicit liquor. lot of sarakku in TASMAC are duplicate.
go through the detailed article on "Mayakkam Enna" from JV on the TASMAC sarakku and its side affects.

1. while it is true that Govt will loose the revenue (i think it is 15k crore), JJ is thinking of streamlining and filling up the corrupt holes in tax collection process to improve the tax collection. At the same time, Both DMK and ADMK gave the excuse that revenue from TASMAC is utilized for freebies. So JJ is discussing seriously on funding those freebies, if this TASMAC inlet is stopped.
3. I don't thing AP has govt liquor shops similar to TASMAC. I remember they are scouting for the same similar to TASMAC in their state.
4. While in Pondy, the taxes are less. some one might clarify more on this.
5. We can not justify "TASMAC" in the name of failure to curb "illicit liquor". Due to TASMAC, now everybody has access to alcohol and more % of people are affected including the school children. So by closing down TASMAC, strong laws and strong action against "illicit liquor", some of the younger generations gets benefited and any grown up individual needs, they can always go to Bars.
6. Who knows govt might open up "few limited" licenses for "Wine shops" (after closing down TASMAC) as well, so that justice given to "Kudimagan" as well.

Sponsored Links

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #15042
iaafosc

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongutamizhan View Post
Why this in chennai discussions? Let's move to AA, i'll write there
what's AA.. Alcoholics anonymous...??
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #15043
vinodgopal

Likes (Received): 248

it means Aratai Arangam

Banning liquor will add to the worries of the state.
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #15044
saysenthil

Likes (Received): 1385

Quote:
As Civic Body Embarks On An Ambitious Project In Which Various Agencies Are Working Together For The First Time To Lay Roads, The 330Cr Scheme That May Turn 360 Roads Into Model Stretches Of Future

Close to a year after Chennai Corporation expanded by 300sqkm, a project being undertaken as part of the Mega City Development Mission may well make roads of the erstwhile suburbs the envy of city central. If the civic bodies play their part, 360 roads will be laid with a scientific plan and could become reference points for roads in the heart of the city. Here is how the roads in eight zones will be laid in the 330 crore project: All the crucial necessities of a road such as storm water drains, electric boxes, pavements, street lights, laying the bitumen and installing name boards are being entrusted to a single contractor, who will be responsible for both the work on an entire stretch and its maintenance for five years. “We wanted to include all the facilities a road needs to have at one go,” said a senior corporation official. Since it is not easy for five contractors to work together, we carved the work into big packages and gave one stretch each to the contractors.”
The aim is to avoid constant digging of roads throughout the year by different agencies, which leaves the roads damaged most of the time. “We usually float storm water drain tenders soon after we lay roads. Metrowater or the electricity board then make road cut requests,” the official said.
New roads in the extended areas will have covered ducts under the road, through which all the water pipes and electric cables will run, so repairs in the future will not require the road to be dug up. Since one firm will construct an entire stretch of road, the corporation expects that it will include design aspects for seamless integration of infrastructure utilities by different civic utilities. “The companies with the contracts will, for example, have to build pavements in such a way that electric inspection boxes and streetlights do not block the path of pedestrians,” a corporation official said.
While the plan should let you drive on a dream road soon, contractors seem to be facing a few teething problems. The project was sanctioned in April, with a condition that the road work should be completed by September, which is when monsoons in the city begin. Civic body officials admit this deadline is practically impossible. Of the 33 packages, work orders for nearly 30 packages have been approved and issued, said a senior source in the corporation. But a few of them were issued as late as the second week of July.

“Every tender had to be placed before the council after it has been bid for in the same month, and then work orders had to be issued. All this took time,” said a corporation official. Corporation commissioner D Karthikeyan admitted that finding contractors for the project was difficult. “Most of them began work only by the end of May,” he said.

It took the civic body more than three months to find contractors to bid for Thiruvottiyur. Civic body officials understand why contractors are hesitant to take up projects in localities in the north of the city (see graphic). “North Chennai is congested; the roads chosen are very narrow. The carriageway has encroachments which make road-laying difficult,” said the official.
Contractors who took up works in other parts of the city have begun work on only some of the roads though works were sanctioned in April. “Even on the roads where works have started, we could finish only 35% of the work,” said Shiva of TMS Constructions, one of the contractors. According to a recent status report, Alandur and Sholinganallur are likely to get their arterial roads re-laid at the earliest.

In Sholinganallur, works have been completed on seven roads because they did not require storm water drains. “Storm water drain construction takes at least a month. We dig trenches and lay precast segments. Once drains are done, 50% of the work is considered done,” another contractor said.
As the first systematic attempt to lay quality roads in the city progresses.
saysenthil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #15045
jaish
Jaishankar

Likes (Received): 513

Indian contingent kooda vanda Lady mathiri namma oorum eppadiaya periya periya ooru kooda vandhu neriya perra kadupu ethuthu.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #15046
jaish
Jaishankar

Likes (Received): 513

I have one doubt.

Everyone complaints here about freebies, why no body complains about tax sops that are given to corporates. Other related to topic unrelated to TN when developed countries like UK, Germany are providing money for jobless people is it not that also be viewed thro same prism populistic policy.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #15047
kongutamizhan

Likes (Received): 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaish View Post
Everyone complaints here about freebies, why no body complains about tax sops that are given to corporates..
They provide jobs. So as a job provider tax sops to an extent are okay.

Quote:
when developed countries like UK, Germany are providing money for jobless people is it not that also be viewed thro same prism populistic policy.
There is no free lunch. It is not a free money as you think. They are money that you pay in form of taxes when you are in job. Everyone pays them. Further it comes with strings attached.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...-unemployment/

http://unemploymentclaimsite.com/art...ment-benefits/

Above all you have to be eligible even to get those benefits and not everyone gets it. Meaning you should have earned certain minimum number of social security points by paying taxes. The amount you receive is proportanate to the amount you paid.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:02 AM   #15048
sshivakumar

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
katchigal maari varrum kallangal inga . Nyangal Aruthallai kooruvathu enga. Onnum pooriyalai
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongutamizhan View Post
idhe tamil script'la ezhudina nalla irukkum. nesamavae enna solreenganu puriyalai
Kaalangal maari varum kaatchigal ingey, niyaayangal aaruthalai kooruvathengey...

காலங்கள் மாறி வரும் காட்சிகள் இங்கே
நியாயங்கள் ஆறுதலை கூறுவதெங்கே

#சிட்டுக்கு செல்ல சிட்டுக்கு ஒரு சிறகு முளைத்தது
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM   #15049
iaafosc

Was just browsing about ....i found an interesting old news article ...3 years old ...I wanted to share it ....

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...-nissan-villas

It says there that the expat population in Chennai in 2009 was about 35000. i doubt if that number could be true. there doesn't seem to be any statistic of that kind. Also that led me to wonder about the nationality-wise breakup. Can anyone shed light on that ? I am guessing the Koreans form the largest percentage of that population.
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #15050
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 6128

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaafosc View Post
Was just browsing about ....i found an interesting old news article ...3 years old ...I wanted to share it ....

It says there that the expat population in Chennai in 2009 was about 35000. i doubt if that number could be true. there doesn't seem to be any statistic of that kind. Also that led me to wonder about the nationality-wise breakup. Can anyone shed light on that ? I am guessing the Koreans form the largest percentage of that population.
It is quite possible and may be true.

Global Adjustments - a company who gives services to Expats may be the right agency to get the stats.
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:47 PM   #15051
iaafosc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
It is quite possible and may be true.

Global Adjustments - a company who gives services to Expats may be the right agency to get the stats.
Oh ok sir ....thanks. Was just wondering if anyone in the forum could shed light on it . I have heard of that company before. Maybe i can shoot a mail to them ..
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM   #15052
ppn123

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaafosc View Post

Korean could be between 7to 8k. I know this for sure.
ppn123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM   #15053
iaafosc

I found out an interesting statistic

Jlpt ( Japanese language proficiency test) is a test administered world-wide to test proficiency in the Japanese language ...usually it is held twice a year( In Chennai it's held twice a year) and in some cities it's held once a year .

the jlpt committee usually publishes the number of test takers from each city for the year ....

Two things i found interesting from these results :the number of examinees from India is more than that of the USA,Australia, UK and even Brazil ( which has the largest japanese origin population outside Japan and has traditionally leaned towards japanese culture) and has grown exponentially over the last few years. Also Chennai seems to have the most number of examinees from India ( around 9000 almost 6 times the number 5 years back) followed by Delhi, Mumbai and Pune. Goes to show the growing influence of Japan in India.

http://www.jlpt.jp/statistics/pdf/2011_2_3.pdf

http://www.jlpt.jp/statistics/pdf/2011_1_3.pdf

Last edited by iaafosc; August 1st, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
iaafosc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM   #15054
sshivakumar

True, there are two training centers in Chennai and there are a lot of training that happens at many corporates. I studied Japanese and wrote my JLPT through ABK-AOTS Dosokai 11 years back and the classes were always full. Chennai and Pune lead used to lead then.

Last edited by sshivakumar; August 1st, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
sshivakumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM   #15055
vinodgopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshivakumar View Post
True, there are two training centers in Chennai and there are a lot of training that happens at many corporates. I studied Japanese and wrote my JLPT through ABK-AOTS Dosokai 11 years back and the classes were always full. Chennai and Pune lead used to lead then.
i know some japanese words being a jack of all trades

Ikiru, Akira Kurosawa, Nakamura, Rashomon, samurai, sepuka, and Congress government's current situation is called nikkumo nikkadho in japan.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM   #15056
sshivakumar

CM.. ungalala mattumthan mudiyum ithu.. you are all set for the Japan visit.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #15057
iaafosc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodgopal View Post

Ikiru, Akira Kurosawa, Nakamura, Rashomon, samurai, sepuka, and Congress government's current situation is called nikkumo nikkadho in japan.
..... love kurosawa though...
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #15058
krishnaswamy
Krishna

Likes (Received): 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodgopal View Post

....Ungakitte CM agurathukku ella thaguthiyum irukku..
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:18 PM   #15059
vinodgopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaswamy View Post
....Ungakitte CM agurathukku ella thaguthiyum irukku..
ofcourse. i am a chess master already
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM   #15060
murlee
ВANNED

Likes (Received): 4046

Info on Chennai buses, trains a call away

Quote:
Lost in a new area and looking for the right buses to get you home? Need info regarding bus, train or flight ticket availability? Help is at hand, literally.

Thanks to a new initiative by two young entrepreneurs, Routes is a new dial-up service in the city wherein callers can get their local travel queries answered free-of-cost.

Apart from information on Chennai city routes, bus numbers and local train timings, Routes will give details on timings, rates and seat availability of inter-city buses, trains and domestic flights; just dial 86 95 95 95 95.

The brainchild of Mr Ashwin Kumar and Mr Bharat Somani, Routes was unveiled by Mayor Saidai Duraisamy on Tuesday.

“We ran a pilot project from April 2011 to January 2012 in Chennai to know about the need for such a service.

We got about 2,000 calls per day on our toll-free number,” said Mr Somani, who then went ahead to firm up the service through his company vTel Details.

While initial information on all city bus routes has been collated by field staff and from web sites, the company is in the process of tying-up with MTC, State Express Transport Corporation and even the city traffic police for updated news.

“We will be able to give callers route directions for Chennai for now but will extend it to other cities in the next six months,” Mr Somani said.

For bus ticket booking service, the firm claims to have tied up with 50 private bus operators in the city through five of its agents who can even deliver tickets home.

“We are looking for partners for train and flight services,” he said adding that Routes was hopeful of servicing up to 2.5 lakh callers a day in the next three years.
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chann...-call-away-813

Tags
chennai, metro, road, underground

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: