daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:42 PM   #18681
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2141

Manchester is the centre of the Universe.

Let's just leave this futile debate at that.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:45 PM   #18682

Likes (Received): 274

Center of crime maybe.
10123 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:54 PM   #18683
VDB

Likes (Received): 1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10123 View Post
Center of crime maybe.
Cough *West Yorkshire* cough.

VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:03 PM   #18684
Marksy_1

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10123
Center of crime maybe.
Here we go the crime one, are you going to get your stats out now?
Marksy_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:12 PM   #18685
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 467

The biggest 'crime' is against the English language, it's centre.
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:17 PM   #18686
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
The biggest 'crime' is against the English language, it's centre.
Language evolution though, innit.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:18 PM   #18687
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 467

No, that's American English, which isn't the correct way of spelling in this country and shouldn't be allowed.
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:27 PM   #18688

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Cough *West Yorkshire* cough.

It's Brappp Brapp Brappford that has all the crime, it's a shame we are all looped into one
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:28 PM   #18689
VDB

Quote:
No, that's American English, which isn't the correct way of spelling in this country and shouldn't be allowed.
Shakespeare though.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:29 PM   #18690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksy_1 View Post
Here we go the crime one, are you going to get your stats out now?

Is my response.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:31 PM   #18691
VDB

Quote:
It's Brappp Brapp Brappford that has all the crime, it's a shame we are all looped into one
You're all in it together! Don't just slash them out of it, improve stuff!

To be honest I'm of the opinion that one of the main reasons WY is top of crime lists this year is because it didn't experience any of the riots last year. With London, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester et all it was a trap for all of the crime buffs in those cities. They were attracted like a magnet, and then mopped up and put behind bars.

West Yorkshire didn't have that opportunity.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:32 PM   #18692

Quote:
Well if you can change the computer spell check so it doesn't underline the correct spelling of center then tough!

Until then...

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:34 PM   #18693

Quote:

To be honest I'm of the opinion that one of the main reasons WY is top of crime lists this year is because it didn't experience any of the riots last year. With London, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester et all it was a trap for all of the crime buffs in those cities. They were attracted like a magnet, and then mopped up and put behind bars.

West Yorkshire didn't have that opportunity.
We have mastermind spies in Leeds not mindless thugs.

It's like that crazy video of all those running kids in Mc Donalds Manchester

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:35 PM   #18694

Quote:
Have you been to Bradford?

It's a no hope city.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:37 PM   #18695
VDB

Quote:
We have mastermind spies in Leeds not mindless thugs.

It's like that crazy video of all those running kids in Mc Donalds Manchester

That's me after school to be honest
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:49 AM   #18696
VDB

Interesting question on Yahoo Answers.

"Do Americans know many British towns and cities?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1135817AA7A3VG

Quote:
Liverpool, Manchester, Bath, Surrey

Sorry that's all I know.
Quote:
Cheshire,Wolverhampton,Bradford,Doncaster… ()
Quote:
Off the top of my head, I can rattle off names like York, Bath, Liverpool, Leeds, and Manchester.

The cities I remember (like the ones I just listed) typically have universities associated with them, and that's why I remember them. I had considered applying to some of them, as well as some cities in Canada, for my master's degree. Unfortunately, I didn't have the finances for international studies at that point. Otherwise, when I hear "Bath," I usually think of the wife from Bath for some reason.

The Beatles hail from Liverpool. And when I hear of Leeds, I usually think of an old scary poem I learned when I was little; the main character from the poem/story was from Leeds. Odd what a person remembers...

Anyways, I digress. To be fair, I couldn't tell you much information about many major cities in the U.S. I know where they're located and I know famous landmarks, attractions, and/or people there, but that's it. I am more familiar with the cities of Cleveland and Akron, Ohio, since that is where I grew up.
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:53 AM   #18697
nosey

Likes (Received): 8

Just for the sheer hell of it and annoy Loiners:

You do know many Bradfordians (due to the large Asian Population) refer to themselves as living in or near Manchester.

Who would have thought it- People from Yorkshire preferring the other side of the Pennines.
nosey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #18698
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosey View Post
Just for the sheer hell of it and annoy Loiners:

You do know many Bradfordians (due to the large Asian Population) refer to themselves as living in or near Manchester.

Who would have thought it- People from Yorkshire preferring the other side of the Pennines.
That's funny, because I've never met anyone from Bradford who says they live 'near Manchester'. They all say they live 'in Bradford'. It's a bit odd, people coming out with ludicrous statements, based on 'personal experience', when my personal experience tells me otherwise.. who am I to believe? You or myself? That's the fickle human nature for you.

Last edited by Aaronj09; August 1st, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Aaronj09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM   #18699
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
London >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brum > Manc >> Liverpool >>>> Leeds ~ Sheffield ~ Newcastle ~ Bristol ~ Nottingham

Easy.
That's a lie and you know it, everyone knows Bristol is larger than Leeds.
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:09 PM   #18700
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggleyleeds View Post
Why? Because some are arguing that Wirral should be Liverpool's PUA, when the reality is that Wirral's relationship and function to Liverpool is no different from say Wakefield to Leeds.

Both suburban areas with their own retail and small CBD cores, that use and rely on the adjacent large city hub for primary retail, leisure, culture, and employment.

If anything, the physcial seperation creates a detatchment. For example all along the eastern suburban edges of wirral that look across to liverpool. There is complete detatchement, you cant just cross over. You have to go all the way down central birkenhead via rail or road, to then cross over to liverpool (paying a toll), only then reaching and making use of the centre. No suburban continuity.

With places like south leeds and north wakefield there is continutity because there is no physcial barrier. For example, I live in south leeds, yet my nearest tesco is in batley. My mum lives near middleton south leeds and their neighbours schoool is in wakefield. They are effectvely adjacent suburbs with interaction. A huge physical water stretch barrier/divde, that is only crossable at one point by travelling all the way to birkenhead to cross at one point prevents this.

Wakefield town centre is similar to birkenhead town centre, whilst the number commuting from birkenhead to liverpool is lower than wakefield to leeds. If wirral was just suburbia that relied solely on liverpool, then the town centres of birkenhead and wallasey wouldnt be the same as the town centres of wakefield and dewsbury, whilst the proportion of commuters wouldnt be so low either.

11%, and no source. The work foundation said its 13% of Wirral residents. Go to Hoylake and its 20% of residents.

Not surprising though, Leeds is 5 times the size of Liverpool in area. Wakefield is also over twice the size of Wirral in area. Leeds includes all the outlying areas, so that any mug travelling from from one little town to another little town or farm for work in the rural periphery of Leeds would count as a commuter. Travel to the periphery of Liverpool, like the factories in Halewood or Knowsley, and you'd be in another borough. Interestingly, from the local transport plan, 20% of commuters to Liverpool are from the Wirral, which is the same as Knowsley.

Staying with that theme, there are probably less than 13% commuting from many poorer areas on the Liverpool side, like Norris Green. On that basis, using your argument, perhaps you could make a case for them to be removed also? With those areas removed, Liverpool would rise up out of the doldrums in the relevant tables and statistics, but fall down the population charts.

Perhaps that's a way forward, areas that have become run down and are no longer completely work dependent on their commercial centres can be detached. Trim the fat, make the central city appear smaller than it is, then you don't have to invest into it. That way policy makers can free up even more strategic resources to pump into London and the regional pet projects in the north. Perhaps that will provide jobs for people in the likes of those small settlements "with a lack of commuters", even though low skilled workers have been identified as having a lack of mobility in terms of work.

The plain fact is the part of Wirral directly opposite the Pier Head is largely inner-city Liverpool in nature and character; economically depressed areas of dense legacy terraced housing with a low skilled workforce, high levels of worklessness, radiating outward from the docklands and the light industrial estates that abut it. Yes, Wirral in its entirety isn't "Liverpool Suburbia", it's a geographical feature, but the western portion of Liverpool extends onto it, and no amount of statistical comparisons of "relationship and function" with teletubby land will ever stop that from being the case.

HMRI Map

Some studies for Peel

Last edited by yoshef; August 1st, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote