daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Auckland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2012, 12:50 AM   #61
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 5102

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
Yes they did, they are planning a 5-star hotel not a 5-storey.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up and now I can breathe easily again

" Melbourne is just like San Francisco without the fog" ... Anthony Bourdain

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:18 AM   #62
whizz_pat

Likes (Received): 5

We can all breathe easily again
whizz_pat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:25 AM   #63
drosophila

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up and now I can breathe easily again
haha indeed
drosophila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #64
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Buildings may go for train entrance

The loss of the Palace Hotel in central Auckland could be followed by the demolition of an adjoining block of character buildings to create an entrance for the inner city rail loop. Heritage advocates will be highlighting special protection of the character buildings to argue against the Chow brothers' application to replace the demolished Palace Hotel with a 15-storey brothel at a hearing next week. But it now appears the group of old buildings running down Victoria St are also under threat from the wrecking ball. Auckland Transport has written to tenants saying their properties will be needed for the city rail loop some time from 2015. One tenant, who did not want to be named, said he was told the buildings were needed for an entrance to a train stations under Albert St between Victoria and Wellesley Sts. The tenant said he took the letter to mean the buildings were earmarked for demolition. The project director for the rail project, Claire Stewart, said a lot of work had been done in terms of the heritage and culture associated with Victoria St, saying the station was well underground and the likelihood of demolition of character buildings was not high ... MORE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #65
drosophila

Likes (Received): 19

Why does the Herald write these sensationalist articles with quotes from tenants who are basically making stuff up. Of course they are acquiring all these buildings they need the underground development rights, it has nothing to do with what is on the surface.

Last edited by drosophila; November 8th, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
drosophila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #66
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
Why does the Herald write these sensationalist articles with quotes from tenants who are basically making stuff up. Of course they are acquiring all these buildings they need the underground development writes, it has nothing to do with what is on the surface.
It's the Granny Herald doing what they do best

+ INSTAGRAM
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #67
gutterclub

Likes (Received): 16

I'm really hoping one of these buildings isn't the Mexican Cafe...I'd take their Chimichangas over a rail loop anyway...seriously!
gutterclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #68
Dazzle
All over the place

Likes (Received): 17

Maybe we can have both!
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #69
OrangeKiwi

Likes (Received): 46

Maybe we can have both. Or not... (Third page, numbers 14 and 16 are 'Land to be Designated Surface' and I'm pretty sure Mexican Cafe is part of those two buildings. The Fiddler looks save.)
OrangeKiwi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #70
Matt L

Likes (Received): 48

AT could acquire the site of the former palace hotel and turn that into an entrance
Matt L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #71
gutterclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKiwi View Post
Maybe we can have both. Or not... (Third page, numbers 14 and 16 are 'Land to be Designated Surface' and I'm pretty sure Mexican Cafe is part of those two buildings. The Fiddler looks save.)
Yep, looks like it will be a gonner, ah well, progess is progress..I'm sure Mexican Cafe is a sucessfull enough business to set up shop elsewhere in the city..and there's still a couple of years worth of Tacos to get through before they evacuate
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #72
Bealzebubbles

Likes (Received): 25

It doesn't say that they will be demolished. Maybe they plan to utilise the existing buildings as an entrance to the station. Given what was accomplished with Britomart it should be too hard to preserve the buildings and bring the entrance up through the floor.
Bealzebubbles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #73
gutterclub

I'm only complaining with a tongue firmly in cheek, in my honest opinion if they have to go for the sake of the CRL they should...I guess its the Brit inside me having grown up with their mentality that if it isn't over 500 years old you can knock it down

Are those buildings actually listed?
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #74
Rooty
The Nation of Urine

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterclub View Post
I'm really hoping one of these buildings isn't the Mexican Cafe...I'd take their Chimichangas over a rail loop anyway...seriously!
My favourite food in Chch was a Chimichanga from the Mexican Cafe (same company as Auckland).

Before I went proper vegetarian, I got the Seafood one. The Vegetarian one is a bit illogical, as it's filled with the same stuff you get as the sides. I still loved it though.

Is the casing just a regular tortilla, or something slightly different? Maybe a special tortilla designed for deep frying? I had a Chimichanga at another place in Chch (Headless Mexican), and it wasn't nearly as good - it was just a fried Burrito. The Mexican Cafe one was something more.

Last edited by Rooty; November 9th, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Rooty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #75
Bealzebubbles

Likes (Received): 25

While the Mex is great for a casual meal it's not the best Mexican out there. I'd be sad to see it go though as it's an institution like Soul or Tony's. I think the phrase world famous in New Zealand is appropriate.
Bealzebubbles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #76
Rooty
The Nation of Urine

Who does a better Chimichanga, for next time I'm in Auckland?

(I only care about Chimichangas. They are my favourite.)
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #77
gutterclub

Well, like anything its in the eye of the beholder..I'm trying to get to all the Mexican food joints in Auckland to try, but so far I always head back to Mexican Cafe..I'm not mexican or anything, just love the food. That said, I spent 2 months in Mexico and it was some of the blandest, dullest food I've ever had...soon as you cross the border into San Diego its a different story!

Anyway, Mexican Food discussions in CRL thread, Bungy Rocket discussions in the Elliot Tower thread..I'm leading this forum off course. Too much free time at work!
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #78
Rooty
The Nation of Urine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterclub View Post
Well, like anything its in the eye of the beholder..I'm trying to get to all the Mexican food joints in Auckland to try, but so far I always head back to Mexican Cafe..
Prior to being poor, I ate at every Mexican place in Chch (the eight, pre-earthquakes) and felt the same way about our equivalent. It was just the one I ended up going back to all the time.

Last edited by Rooty; November 9th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #79
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

I will never go into The mexican Cafe - it looks filthy from the outside and completely suppresses my appetite. It may not be so from the inside but my legs refuse to make the move inside I doubt that those buildings will be demolished and can be incorporated into the design of the station.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #80
dogmeat

Likes (Received): 8

Sydney 1 from the outside all you can see of the Mexican is a doorway 2 If you don't eat a place coz it looks grubby yr denying yrself some amazing culinary treats (and a few parasites no doubt). TBH the food at the Mex isn't all that and it doesn't pretend that it is. It's more about the vibe. The place heaves and has an energy that was sadly lacking back in the day when Mex Cafe was party central.

IMO it lost its mojo when it stopped serving 2 litre jugs of tequila couple of those set you up nicely for the night and anything tasted good.
dogmeat no está en línea   Reply With Quote