daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Closed Thread

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:45 AM   #3261
BellevueBoy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket View Post
Even more good news for DT Bellevue's vacancy rate:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._concur21.html

So that's about 250k sq ft that came off the market in the past two days over three tenants. That's an exceptional 48 hours for a sub-market (albeit a major one), developers might be at least pondering the idea of some new office towers in Bellevue now.
Good news. I reallly want to see 10833 8th tower move forward, prime spot along 8th street and will make a huge impact on the skyline from all angles.
BellevueBoy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3262
BellevueBoy

News out of Bellevue has been few and far between lately. Here's finally some news, 259 apartment units proposed on 8th Street across from the Bravern:
http://www.djc.com/news/co/12043526.html

I didn't know Skanska was a developer too, thought they were just a general contractor.
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3263
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueBoy View Post
News out of Bellevue has been few and far between lately. Here's finally some news, 259 apartment units proposed on 8th Street across from the Bravern:
http://www.djc.com/news/co/12043526.html

I didn't know Skanska was a developer too, thought they were just a general contractor.
That appears to "Fill" that block.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:49 AM   #3264
Rondo1

Likes (Received): 0

Isn't this the same firm that recently bought the Bravern stores? Hmmm....
Rondo1 no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM   #3265
BellevueBoy

Article from the Bellevue Reporter:
http://www.bellevuereporter.com/business/164667636.html

Skanska USA plans mixed-use development downtown

August 1, 2012 · 4:13 PM

Skanska USA has purchased a 41,000 square foot parcel at 11011 NE 9th St. in the heart of downtown Bellevue.

The site, dubbed Alley 111, is planned for a mixed-use space with 259 apartment units and a unique opportunity to provide an activated ground floor experience for residents who live and play in downtown Bellevue.

“Downtown Bellevue currently lacks an activated multi-family concept for the growing number of jobs located in the urban core,” said Lisa Picard, Executive Vice President, Skanska USA Commercial Development Seattle. "We were inspired by the opportunity to build a smart, interactive and sustainably-designed apartment community for Downtown Bellevue.”

This purchase represents Skanska’s third project in Seattle since the commercial development group started operations in February of 2011. Skanska worked closely with R.M. Watson Co. to bring this gateway site to market, one of only three permit-ready, mixed-use multifamily projects currently in Bellevue.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:28 AM   #3266
testdrive

Likes (Received): 133

What is an activated ground floor experience?
testdrive no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:57 AM   #3267
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 186

Too bad the pedestrian environment along NE 8th is almost unsalvageably bad...
alexjonlin no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3268
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
I think it's a structure that holds up an activated multi-family concept. Maybe someone more akamai with archilingo ...
RMacherat no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3269
BellevueBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
was wondering the same thing. not sure what an "activated multi family concept" is either.

The site is kind of awkward, sandwiched between a hotel and an office building. It's across the street from the Bravern but there's no convenient way to get there since NE 8th is a pedestrian nitemare. I think the previous owner of this site had approached the Bravern's owners about a possible skybridge but I don't think that gained much traction.

Regardless of this site's shortcomings, the fact that it's adding 260 more units to the area is a huge plus and it eliminates one more vacant lot.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3270
GoDawgs206

I posted this in another thread but I thought this would be a good spot for it too. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Greetings, I’m new to this board and wanted to get some insight on where to live on the Eastside. For some background, I’m originally from the Bay Area and have been in Seattle the past four years attending UW. I recently got a job at a software company in Redmond (you could probably guess which one) and am planning to move to the Eastside to be closer to work plus avoid the 520 toll.

Despite living here the past four years, I’ve spent the majority of my time in the U-District so I’m not very familiar with the burbs. I prefer to live somewhere that is somewhat walkable and is in a centralized location. Some friends have suggested some of the following areas and I’d love to get some feedback from locals on each of them:

-Downtown Redmond
-Downtown Kirkland
-Downtown Bellevue
-Juanita
-Renton Landing

I hope this is the right thread to post this. Thanks!
GoDawgs206 no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #3271
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 579

Downtown Bellevue has a critical mass of stuff and good transit to Microsoft. Being in a regional center has its benefits -- department stores, city hall, library, hospitals, etc.

Downtown Redmond is gaining critical mass on a smaller scale with great ambiance and the Sammamish River Trail. Transit should be decent to Microsoft.

Downtown Kirkland is the most scenic but less connected.

The others are pretty limited.
mhays no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3272
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 6

I'd stick with Downtown Bellevue or downtown Kirkland. My advice: don't llive anywhere south of downtown Bellevue (405 is a mess and can easily be 30-40 minutes one way during rush hour).

Not sure what your price range is, but definitely check out the Bravern, Avalon Towers, Elements, or search craigslist for "Bellevue towers", or "Washington Square" for units in the newer condo towers. Of course there are plenty of more affordable lowrises in downtown Bellevue as well.

Best of luck!!!

(I've lived in the Bravern and recommend it)
kub86 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:54 AM   #3273
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 989

I'd avoid commuting on 405 at all costs. I assume you are younger, and I think you'd have more 'activate street level experiences' in downtown Bellevue or Kirkland. Redmond is nice, but much more family oriented.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:31 AM   #3274
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 579

Downtown Redmond is an island of urbanity, and the trails are a big plus. If you bike, it's fantastic, including the Lake Sammamish Parkways.
mhays no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #3275
BellevueBoy

I'd also recommend sticking with downtown Bellevue, Kirkland, or Redmond. Renton will be a traffic nitemare with 405 every day and there isn't much going on in Juanita. Between the three choices, it all depends on what you prefer.

Bellevue is full of yuppies and stuck up ppl. There's a certain stigma when you say you're from Bellevue. I tend to get dirty looks from Seattleites when I say I live in Bellevue, lol. But if you can get beyond that, it's a very convenient place to live with plenty of restaurants, shops, and parks. It's also just a 15 minute drive to downtown Seattle barring any traffic.

Redmond is great if you're into outdoors and biking. Also would be closest to Microsoft main campus although from DT Redmond it's a good half hour drive to DT Seattle.

Kirkland has a great waterfront and has been compared to Sausalito in the Bay Area although that's probably a stretch. The downtown area is very walkable and compact but options are somewhat limited.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3276
GoDawgs206

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I've narrowed down my choices to the three downtowns. I've been to each of them at least once but am planning to spend some time in each this weekend to check out apartments, amenities, and the overall vibe. I like Redmond for its proximity to work but it may be a little too quiet. The Kirkland waterfront area is very scenic but I do like Bellevue's transit access and big city amenities. I'll post an update after this weekend.
GoDawgs206 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #3277
velciane
Seattle

Likes (Received): 81

Redmond has nice housing, but you're going to pay for it. I would recommend that or Sammamish/Issaquah area if you dont mind a little drive (10-20 minutes).
velciane no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3278
BellevueBoy

Saw this new sign on my way to lunch. Looks like they are dusting off plans to finish this building. They had completed the garage about 4-5 years ago but stopped construction after that. Not sure if they plan on building this on spec or will wait to secure a big lease.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3279
LCIII

Likes (Received): 645

Well says completion 1st quarter of 2014.
LCIII está en línea ahora  
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #3280
testdrive

Likes (Received): 133

I'll bet they already have some interest in the building If the sign means anything I would suspect they are planning to start construction in the next 6 months.
testdrive no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
stipson