daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:24 PM   #201
Captain Canal

Likes (Received): 0

Don't often feel motivated to write comments these days BUT.......I have just been past the new Morrison’s development at Five Ways, I don't know if I can find superlatives enough to hurl at it:
Clunky, ignorant even moronic doesn't sum up my feelings. How dare this retail behemoth insult the people of this City with this cretinous pile? I now realise how elegant the old Five Ways Shopping Centre was and I never thought I would say this. Nobody with any ounce of decency or love of this city would darken its doors.
At 57 I still have high hopes that this pathetic building will disappear in my life time, if not I firmly intend to patrol outside in wraith like form until the day the last bit of it is fed into the crusher.
There I feel better now.
Captain Canal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM   #202
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canal View Post
Don't often feel motivated to write comments these days BUT.......I have just been past the new Morrison’s development at Five Ways, I don't know if I can find superlatives enough to hurl at it:
Clunky, ignorant even moronic doesn't sum up my feelings. How dare this retail behemoth insult the people of this City with this cretinous pile? I now realise how elegant the old Five Ways Shopping Centre was and I never thought I would say this. Nobody with any ounce of decency or love of this city would darken its doors.
At 57 I still have high hopes that this pathetic building will disappear in my life time, if not I firmly intend to patrol outside in wraith like form until the day the last bit of it is fed into the crusher.
There I feel better now.
Couldn't agree more with your view. You're not alone, no one likes it!

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM   #203
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 1248

My opinion might not be the popular one, but I like it and will be using it, which will bring me into Fiveways for the first time. But then I'm not a local Brummie, so my opinion isn't really worth much when there's people who've got to live with this thing next to them.

I quite like the design but wish it was more like the Swan Centre, i.e. an actual shopping centre possibly with the tower retained and refurbished.

But yeah, my family like Morrisons' cafe, and it's a reason to get a train to Fiveways and have a look around, for us anyway. So I guess a tiny silver lining.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON, GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #204
sefton66

Likes (Received): 541

I don't like it but it makes sense,

The original plans would not get built on site for many many many years to come, The site has been empty for years, there is a business case for a supermarket on the site, atleast this will bring life back to the site. The only good thing about supermarkets is that they quickly make their money back on the initial building cost so in the future if things pick up, who knows we could see a proposal to see something built on the site with Morrisons taking a ground floor supermarket unit with offices/hotel above
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #205
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Supermarkets don't tend to budge though. They stick around on their sites for years and years and years, in fact I'm struggling to think of a supermarket that has ever shut down. If they had any intention to develop the site further in the long term, I think they would have accommodated for that with the development - a structure better suited to something being built on top.

I think Calthorpe needed a quick money earner. It's a great site from a commercial point of view but it doesn't give much back to the community at all.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #206
sefton66

Not too sure if it could happen but I'd expect they could easily build upto say 14 storeys on top of this without needing to start at the foundations again from scratch?
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #207
build_higher

Likes (Received): 29

Really!? The chances of that ever happening are less than zilch I would think.
build_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #208
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Not too sure if it could happen but I'd expect they could easily build upto say 14 storeys on top of this without needing to start at the foundations again from scratch?
I find that very hard to believe. The speed at which this went up gives the impression not much foundation work was done, it didnt need to be as it is a supermarket with a large flat surface area. If they had futureproofed for a 14 storey building I imagine the preparatory would would have taken longer. As it is, I am not even sure they removed all the foundations from the previous building,

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #209
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Supermarkets don't tend to budge though. They stick around on their sites for years and years and years, in fact I'm struggling to think of a supermarket that has ever shut down. If they had any intention to develop the site further in the long term, I think they would have accommodated for that with the development - a structure better suited to something being built on top.

I think Calthorpe needed a quick money earner. It's a great site from a commercial point of view but it doesn't give much back to the community at all.
The saving grace is that at some point in the future (not too distant I hope!) the land will be worth more as a high-density development and not a supermarket alone so it could be redeveloped.

FWIW I think this looks OK for a supermarket but it is a terrible use and density for the site and has so many dead frontages.

Calthorpe hang your head in shame, along with the pox at Edgbaston Mill.
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #210
Brummie Nick
Brummie on Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canal View Post
There I feel better now.
Love your rant! Totally agree! What a dreadful, awful building!

Bill Clinton about Birmingham (Former President of the United States)
Brummie Nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #211
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose View Post
Couldn't agree more with your view. You're not alone, no one likes it!
You dont speak for everyone, its better than what was there before, its practical and as others have said i will use it, i work next door and cant wait until it opens. Get off your high horse, its just fine! there, i feel better now
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #212
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 220

Unfortunately it's there now. But there are certain aesthetic features I would rather not see as they are unnecessary. The ski jump tower for one, especially as it seems to clad in that military green. I think they may be using some of that colour on the window panels.

It could have been better and been more sympathetic of Marriot in terms of looks. And I've seen the limited clearance between the hotel and the car park.. I bet they must be a little but annoyed...

No in my view, Calthorpe should have refurbed that tower block and incorporated it into a supermarket scheme - if they really needed a large store like this here. Look at Yardley's Swan centre now, a different scale but it's a good example. Still needs filling but everything certainly looks much neater.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #213
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

My 2 penneth:-

Much like the current library, the building itself isn't that bad. But it's in completely the wrong place and on a site which could have and should have been used for a whole lot more. If it was out in the 'burbs somewhere, then there would be no problem with it.

Dunno why, but the curved facade at the front screams 1920's Art Deco Car Showroom.
blahblahv2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #214
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 113

the question is will Edgbastons galleries loss be.... hmmm i dont know ....be to the benefit of the chamber of commerce building/site?! just a thought!
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #215
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 220

In what way? Increase in value?

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #216
sefton66

Anyone know if the Marriot may have got a deal to have spaces in the car park?
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #217
Captain Canal

Had to go up Broad Street earlier in the week and got caught in a heavy rain shower and had to shelter under the tower block opposite looking onto the Morrison’s horror. If anything I think I was understated in my previous rant on the subject. Morrison’s and most of the supermarkets have never been big on aesthetics but this building beats the lot. I didn’t particularly like the previous buildings on the site but looking back on them they did have more merit than this and had some regard for the site and location- this doesn’t. I am looking forward to Andy Fosters comments in a revised edition of Pevsner.
Captain Canal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #218
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES View Post
You dont speak for everyone, its better than what was there before, its practical and as others have said i will use it, i work next door and cant wait until it opens. Get off your high horse, its just fine! there, i feel better now
I used to be on Greenfield Crescent, I used the site a lot to park my car-as did many others, there is such a lack of parking in this area, I suppose yes, Morrisons does have a car park, but you'd have to either A-pay for it, or B-not be allowed unless you shop at the store.

It's ok, it looks nice, I'd give it that, but it's a site that could be used to create something far better, another office block, or apartments-of which there are relatively few in the area.

Besides that, there's a Tesco next door, Sainsbury's a little further on Broad Street, so do we really need another supermarket. (is there a waitrose as well?)

The height of the building is really quite poor, something on that sort of sight should fit the scale of the buildings around it, which morrisons does not.

I'm not speaking for everyone, but the majority. A few months ago after the renders came out, and the first spade went into the ground, almost everyone was moaning about it, now some have changed their minds, but to be quite honest, it's simply not in the right place.

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #219
feltip

Likes (Received): 309

Few pics from 8 - 13 August

http://birminghamcentral.blogspot.co...st-update.html

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #220
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 632

Thanks Feltp, just can't help but think that Hagley Road and Five Ways will stuggle much more, just look at the photo above, its not even open and the traffic is terrible as it is, then if the metro even came down here, it would literally mean Hagley Road becoming one lane each way, not good.

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: