• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > General Photography

General Photography General discussions on photography and non urban photos

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #441
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillylad1 View Post
Just google the codec that you need, mine is a CR2 codec so i google CR2 codec and bob's your uncle
You can get the canon codec from the canon website if you use windows. For Mac you have to buy Aperture or download a dng converter which is free.
diskojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 21st, 2012, 11:30 PM   #442
SkyScraperRaper

Likes (Received): 87

Hi Guys, I am going travelling soon, around USA, Australia and Thailand. I want to buy a digital camera but don't know where to start. I simply want a compact camera, I am not planning to be a professional photographer, nor do I want anything bulky......

What I am after:

-Most Important: High quality images
-Very good in all lighting conditions
-Small, pocket sized.
-Under £300
-At least 5x optical zoom which maintains quality when zoomed in.
-Good amount of Storage, although I'll be taking a laptop.

I keep reading reviews but they all seem to have some negative to them which puts me off. Surely there is a camera out there that meets all the points above. I want pristine quality of image whatever the situation, whether zooming in, shooting in the dark etc etc. This is very important...

Anyone know the camera for me?

Cheers.
SkyScraperRaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #443
Heludin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Question: I have a Canon, Rebel XTi, I'm trying to find the grid but it seems to be hiding from me, I've tried every button and function at no avail....anyone wise enough out there?

Last edited by Heludin; June 28th, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Heludin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #444
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 16463

There is no grid line in the XTi.
When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #445
dastan.puri

Likes (Received): 0

Im thinking on the same lines. Was considering a few options, but now its time to get my baby Nikon d5100 home

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
The 5100 is a better motor but you have to buy more expensive lenses since there is no autofocusing motor in the body. The d7000 does have a focusing motor in the body but cost more. I would go with this is going nikon. The t3i is good for the price but the 50mm f1.8 is kind of junky. 5 blade aperture will give you harsh bokeh. I would say spring for the 50mm f1.4.

personally I use the DSLR bastard child Sony. Stabilization is in the motor so lenses are cheaper. You can get a wide variety of lenses for it too from sigma and tamron.
dastan.puri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #446
Heludin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
There is no grid line in the XTi.
Thank you I almost destroy my camera out of frustration...
Heludin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:30 AM   #447
Afghanistan
Afghanistan

Likes (Received): 5

I have Canon
Afghanistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #448
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyScraperRaper View Post
Hi Guys, I am going travelling soon, around USA, Australia and Thailand. I want to buy a digital camera but don't know where to start. I simply want a compact camera, I am not planning to be a professional photographer, nor do I want anything bulky......

What I am after:

-Small, pocket sized.
-Under £300

I keep reading reviews but they all seem to have some negative to them which puts me off. Surely there is a camera out there that meets all the points above. I want pristine quality of image whatever the situation, whether zooming in, shooting in the dark etc etc. This is very important...

Cheers.
Your simpley not going to get this from a compact camera costing £300, when your dealing with sensors this small image quality just isnt going to be as good and higher ISO(to shoot in the dark) isnt going to look good at all.

The best option to me sounds like it'll be the Canon S100, larger sensor than most compacts and around a 5Xzoom starting from a 24mm equivilent, good for landscapes.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; July 4th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #449
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyScraperRaper View Post

What I am after:

-Small, pocket sized.
-Under £300

Cheers.
Canon ELPH. You could probably get one for much less then you budget. I still have one and its pretty solid little camera. But its no good in dark conditions without a tripod. You cant get everything without shelling out some more cash. But I would go get an entry level DSLR with the budget you have.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #450
Swillylad1

Likes (Received): 159

Heard the canon G10 & G12 are supposed to be good.
Swillylad1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #451
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenilswin View Post
Well, this is the finest platform to keep our queries about photography and get best of solution for that. Let me explain you what is my query, I have just come from my brother's marriage and seen the activities of the photographer so a dream has come in my mind to become a photographer, so I want to get best suggestion from here, which can help me.
That would depend very much on your current level of expereince and ability, if you've only ever used a compact on automatic my best advice would be to buy an entry level DSLR and use it for at least a year(gradually moving away from automated modes) before you even think about buying any professional level gear or doing any paid work.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #452
Hotu Matua

Likes (Received): 1022

Hi, there

I would appreciate your help.
I have a Nikkon D5100 and love taking pics and posting them on SSC.
A couple of days ago, however, something really bad happened with my zoom lens and I don't have a clue of what is wrong.

It happens that the only objects that stay on focus are those in the center of the image. The rest is blurred.
For example, if I am trying to focus on some letters of a text in a sign, the letters will get sharp on both automatic or manual focus inasmuch as they stay at the center of the field. If I make them go to one side or corner, they blurr.
This happens only when I am using the zoom. I have a Tamron zoom telephoto angular lens 200 mm.

I have cleaned the forefront and rear lenses of the telephoto, but this hasn't helped.

Do you have any idea of what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance
Hotu Matua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #453
yanvanew
virtual assistant compani

Likes (Received): 0

Online Virtual Assistant

In two weeks time I am to take the official photographs at my schools 'winter ball' ... I have a Sony alpha390 14.2 Megapixels camera with a DT18-55mm lens! ... It's a common question and usually the first to indicate someone might not be.

virtual-assistants-services.com
yanvanew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #454
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotu Matua View Post
Hi, there

I would appreciate your help.
I have a Nikkon D5100 and love taking pics and posting them on SSC.
A couple of days ago, however, something really bad happened with my zoom lens and I don't have a clue of what is wrong.

It happens that the only objects that stay on focus are those in the center of the image. The rest is blurred.
For example, if I am trying to focus on some letters of a text in a sign, the letters will get sharp on both automatic or manual focus inasmuch as they stay at the center of the field. If I make them go to one side or corner, they blurr.
This happens only when I am using the zoom. I have a Tamron zoom telephoto angular lens 200 mm.

I have cleaned the forefront and rear lenses of the telephoto, but this hasn't helped.

Do you have any idea of what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance
I would take it to a camera repair shop and have them look at it.

But its fairly common that lower grade lenses will have soft corner focusing, especially at the long end of the zoom range. Might be time to upgrade.

You may also check you minimum focusing distance specified for your type of lens.
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #455
WesselKornel

Likes (Received): 6

Dear Skyscrapercitizens, I voluntary shoot at student parties every now and then, sometimes with my F/1.8, sometimes with flash, however, in complete dark circumstances with lots of flashing lights etc. (like the party) I have a really hard time using autofocus. How can I get my camera (a sony A55) to flash once to adjust focus and then a second time for the actual picture? (now it just refuses to do anything as long as it doesn't find focus, which is really annoying for the posing party people) Thanks in advance!
WesselKornel está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #456
eusimcity4
☀Pozdrav iz beograda!☀

Likes (Received): 240

Aperture, Exposure, where??

I have a question about my camera. I have a Nikon D80 and i am not sure where you adjust the Aperture and Exposure when on manual mode. I lost my camera guide. Can someone tell me where and how to change it? It's a different camera for me than my usual Canon camera. Thanks in advance!

Visit my FlickrHighways driven on | A | B | BIH | BG | D | DK | E | F | GR | H | HR | I | L | LT | MEX | P | PL | SK | SLO | SRB | TR | USA |
eusimcity4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #457
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusimcity4 View Post
I have a question about my camera. I have a Nikon D80 and i am not sure where you adjust the Aperture and Exposure when on manual mode. I lost my camera guide. Can someone tell me where and how to change it? It's a different camera for me than my usual Canon camera. Thanks in advance!
You should be able to download a PDF manual from the official Nikon website. Or just Google after it.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:21 AM   #458
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusimcity4 View Post
Turn the control knob underneath the shutter button. Then Press the control button and turn the knob to adjust the other setting.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:23 AM   #459
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesselKornel View Post
Dear Skyscrapercitizens, I voluntary shoot at student parties every now and then, sometimes with my F/1.8, sometimes with flash, however, in complete dark circumstances with lots of flashing lights etc. (like the party) I have a really hard time using autofocus. How can I get my camera (a sony A55) to flash once to adjust focus and then a second time for the actual picture? (now it just refuses to do anything as long as it doesn't find focus, which is really annoying for the posing party people) Thanks in advance!
Switch to manual focus and turn the focusing ring. This is how most people have to shoot low light events. Google: "Dragging the shutter" also.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #460
mrjoekalel
Mexican/Texan/American

Likes (Received): 87

I think this question might be answered here...

Like many, I'm thinking about buying my first DSLR (and then contribute to the forum, of course). My three choices are:

-Sony Alpha A65 (24 mp, GPS, better at video focusing, not so good at low-light pics)
-Canon Rebel T4i (18 mp, no GPS, touchscreen, not so good at video, but better at low-light pics)
-Canon Rebel T3i (18 mp, no GPS, no touchscreen, cheaper than the two above)

Within that price range, does anybody have input about those cameras?