daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #361
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotsy View Post
Oh come on, all Mars Hill cares about is converting the homeless. Let's see them open a soup kitchen or homeless shelter and maybe I'll change my mind about it.

In the meantime, there are plenty of churches and other nonprofits that actually practice what they preach and are more interested in caring for the poor than in ballooning their own membership ranks.
Amen to that, Sister Shotsy!

Sponsored Links

Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:25 AM   #362
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 156

SIKE!
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:41 AM   #363
D Green
Sartorial Rapture

Likes (Received): 161

You got my hopes up, Jiminy.

So...damn it now I've messed everyone up too. Alright, then. Sorry guys, bursting the bubble here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Maybe if churches were all taxed, the money raised could go towards social causes.
No taxation without representation*. But if we tax churches, they become constituents and therefore are given the obligation to be represented in government. That's why there's no taxes on churches, so we can keep the separation going.

*Unless you live in DC

Last edited by D Green; October 2nd, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
D Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #364
LCIII

Likes (Received): 757

JiminyCricket should be shot for this.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:39 AM   #365
JiminyCricket

trolololol :-P
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM   #366
Rogue Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Green View Post

So...damn it now I've messed everyone up too. Alright, then. Sorry guys, bursting the bubble here:

No taxation without representation*. But if we tax churches, they become constituents and therefore are given the obligation to be represented in government. That's why there's no taxes on churches, so we can keep the separation going.

*Unless you live in DC
Well I guess when they're obliquely represented anyway by buying elections on minority rights, that's when it makes sense to tax them.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM   #367
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Linguist View Post
Well I guess when they're obliquely represented anyway by buying elections on minority rights, that's when it makes sense to tax them.
Not just that, they organize through their churches and vote in lock-step on certain things.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #368
Rogue Linguist

Yep that's true.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM   #369
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 304

Who is they?
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #370
Dale

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSeattle View Post
Not just that, they organize through their churches and vote in lock-step on certain things.
Right, because (non)churchers never evidence any conformity in their voting habits.

FYI: I'd just as soon see churches renounce, yes, renounce their tax exempt status so as to be able to say 'No!' to the state. As it stands, it's hard to tell the difference between the two.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #371
LCIII

Likes (Received): 757

Hasn't this officially strayed far enough off topic to take place in a different thread? Can we stop bumping this thread please until we have actual need for this project?
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM   #372
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Yes, back on topic please.
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #373
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Green View Post

*Unless you live in DC
I think you need to go back to school and retake civics. Churches are organizations, usually organized as non-profit corporations, and they are not people. As they are not people and citizens of the U.S., they have no right to vote whether or not they are taxed. And, yes, churches are sometimes subject to certain local and state taxes.

The fact that they are generally not subject to federal income and state income taxes has nothing to do with the fact they have no "representation" in government. For example, for-profit corporations are taxed, and they certainly are not given the right to vote.

Our tax code, as a matter of public policy, is structured to allow ANY qualifying non-profit organization, whether it is a religious organization or not, to be exempt from federal income tax, and most states have similar tax policies. However, the trade-off is that the federal government (and state governments) do not want to subsidize political activity, so they do not allow tax-exempt organizations to engage in most political activity (there is a certain de minimis threshold of activity permitted). The way tax-exempt organizations are treated has NOTHING to do with the general idea of "no taxation without representation," rather it is simply the public policy of how Congress has decided to set up the tax code, and it could be changed tomorrow by amending the tax code if Congress chose to do so.

Now that we have cleared up the policy issues around tax-exempt entities, I think it is time to return to the true purpose of this forum, which is to discuss new urban development in Seattle (or as is the case of this specific thread, to discuss the proposed office tower at 5th and Columbia).
kangaroo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #374
Seasun

Likes (Received): 184

In recent days since the Central Library was mentioned in a thread, I've been thinking about the 5th and Columbia tower as kind of a stretched out version of the library. I like both designs a lot. I had never really related the two buildings' aesthetic in my head too much.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:27 AM   #375
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 190

omg omg!

Fall start date announced: http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...lumbiaxml.html

JiminyCricket, Ruffhauser, velciane liked this post
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:33 AM   #376
JiminyCricket

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RED ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOARDS ABOUT TO BLOW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

bgwah liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:37 AM   #377
Seasun

Likes (Received): 184

That would be great if it really happens. The hotel revision to the plans sounds really challenging on this site in terms of vehicle access off of 5th or maybe integrated with the Rainier Club parking entrance that I understand is at the elevation of the club's current parking lot. Trying to serve office tenant parking and delivery needs along with hotel guests and delivery vehicles and taxis while not getting in the way of club members sounds like a headache.

Mhays addressed this before but the slightly changing floor plate seems like a headache for a hotel layout just as it would be for an office layout. They're not drastically different floor layouts but I can see a front desk clerk trying to reassign a frequent traveler to a different floor for noise or other reasons and she's saying "suite 801 is really similar to 1101 but kind of different. Hope you like it."
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:42 AM   #378
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 668

Honestly, can we go 45 minutes without something extremely awesome happening in this city? I can't take it.

Tespia liked this post
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:43 AM   #379
JiminyCricket

I wonder which brand the hotel might be? They said new to Seattle.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:50 AM   #380
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 659

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket View Post
I wonder which brand the hotel might be? They said new to Seattle.
I'm hoping it might be Ritz-Carlton. Now wouldn't that be something? Of course I don't know if they do only stand alones or also open properties on the lower floors of an office building. They had planned on a Bellevue property, which of course never materialized.