daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM   #261
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
Was in Jesmond Dene early this morning and seen a heron in flight. First time I ever seen one in the dene.

An early morning walk in the Dene, what a great idea, haven't done that for YEARS!

Used to do it a lot, as I walked through the Dene every morning to go to school and came home the same way. Also, at weekends used to get an early start walking through the Dene and along through Heaton and Armstrong Parks (all connected) to the Tennis Courts there.

I think I will do an early morning walk there soon, whether I'll see a Heron thiough . . .
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #262
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 280

Student Accommodation at former CIU Club, Shield Street area, Shieldfield as at 26/06/12

Further to my previous post #259 of 4 June 2012 on this scheme

2011/0305/01/DET

Erection of 4-storey building to provide student accommodation (21 pods/105 beds)(Class C4), provision of bar (A4), retail (A1) at ground floor and associated car parking, landscaping, refuse storage, cycle parking and boundary wall as amended by plans received 15/04/2011

Shieldfield Social Club, Shield Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1XR

Located west of Shieldfield House MS Flats

Some further photographs taken by myself Bank Holiday Tuesday 26/06/12 (hosted on Photobucket) showing progress on this "timber framed" and part steel framed development being executed by C W Davis

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #263
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Jesmond community group takes on new
challenge at Jesmond Library

The Journal, July 7th 2012

image hosted on flickr

A NEW community partnership arrangement for the running of Jesmond Library could provide a blueprint for other Newcastle libraries. The agreement between the city’s library service and charitable company Jesmond Community Leisure (JCL) will see volunteers working alongside professional library staff. Both parties said yesterday it could also result in longer opening hours at the recently refurbished library and more potentially income-generating events.

Coun Veronica Dunn, cabinet member for adult services at the city council, said yesterday: “It’s a new venture for us and something I hope in the future we’ll be able to replicate across other parts of the organisation, not just in libraries but perhaps in other council facilities as well, but libraries in particular are at the heart of our communities and they need to be used and even expanded.

“It seems to me that one of the benefits of the link-up with Jesmond Community Leisure is that it already has experience and knowledge of the community.” The new relationship, she added, was “a great opportunity to develop our partnership library approach in Jesmond and will enable us to build on what is already an excellent and much-loved community library service”.

JCL was formed 18 months ago by local residents who, 20 years ago, came together to save nearby Jesmond Pool. The previously council-run pool had been closed for a year when the Jesmond Swimming Pool Project started with leisure professional Glenn Armstrong as consultant.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1zvDVZ8NK
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #264
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

In the above article about Jesmond Library, mention is made of Jesmond Pool.

Coincidentally, on Friday I was on St George's Terrace and noticed extensive renovations taking place at the Pool (now in private ownership).

Speaking to the blokes doing the work, they told me it was to make room for a Gym Area, along the side.

I took a few photos . . .

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #265
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 125

Is the pool shut at the moment then? It's only a few years since it's last refurbishment where it was shut to add a sauna at the end and gym in the basement.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #266
gregstone

Likes (Received): 17

Public meeting tonight at St Georges Church Hall (7pm) re La Sagesse application
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #267
cjlc

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Jesmond community group takes on new
challenge at Jesmond Library
The Journal, July 7th 2012

image hosted on flickr

A NEW community partnership arrangement for the running of Jesmond Library could provide a blueprint for other Newcastle libraries. The agreement between the city’s library service and charitable company Jesmond Community Leisure (JCL) will see volunteers working alongside professional library staff. Both parties said yesterday it could also result in longer opening hours at the recently refurbished library and more potentially income-generating events.

Coun Veronica Dunn, cabinet member for adult services at the city council, said yesterday: “It’s a new venture for us and something I hope in the future we’ll be able to replicate across other parts of the organisation, not just in libraries but perhaps in other council facilities as well, but libraries in particular are at the heart of our communities and they need to be used and even expanded.

“It seems to me that one of the benefits of the link-up with Jesmond Community Leisure is that it already has experience and knowledge of the community.” The new relationship, she added, was “a great opportunity to develop our partnership library approach in Jesmond and will enable us to build on what is already an excellent and much-loved community library service”.

JCL was formed 18 months ago by local residents who, 20 years ago, came together to save nearby Jesmond Pool. The previously council-run pool had been closed for a year when the Jesmond Swimming Pool Project started with leisure professional Glenn Armstrong as consultant.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1zvDVZ8NK
If you would be interested in volunteering to help at Jesmond Library, or if you have ideas as to how the "offer" could be further developed, please email them to jesmondpool@btconnect.com .
cjlc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #268
cjlc

No, the pool and gym are still open whilst the building works are ongoing. all should be complete in September.
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #269
cjlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Is the pool shut at the moment then? It's only a few years since it's last refurbishment where it was shut to add a sauna at the end and gym in the basement.
The pool and gym are still opn; at peak times the gym is so full that extra space is needed - hence the new extension. There will also be space for sports massage and physiotherapy.
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #270
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone; 9th July 2012
Public meeting tonight at St Georges Church Hall (7pm) re La Sagesse application
Residents hit out at housing plans for La Sagesse
by Sarah Scott, Evening Chronicle, July 10th 2012

RESIDENTS last night grilled planning officials over controversial plans to convert a historic Tyneside building and its grounds into housing. Former Newcastle United chief Freddy Shepherd continues to face fierce opposition from hundreds of residents in Jesmond fighting his plans to turn the former La Sagesse school site into one of the North East’s most expensive housing complexes.

Representatives from Shepherd Offshore and planning officials from Newcastle City Council last night faced tough questions from residents who packed out St Georges Church Hall in Jesmond to air their concerns over the plans. Shepherd has submitted plans to the council to build 60 luxury homes on the site. The amendments do not change the number of dwellings, but adjust the height and positioning of some proposed buildings on the site. Shepherd Offshore hope to transform the Grade II* listed Jesmond Towers into 10 flats, rebuild North Jesmond House to include five apartments and add further homes in a new five-storey complex to the west of the site.

However, residents raised concerns over Mr Shepherd’s plans to build on open space. Rex Winter, chairman of the Jesmond Action Group, said the outcome of last night’s meeting was no different to the one in January. He said: “The changes that have been made really are not significant at all in terms of addressing the key issues that is the character in the conservation area, traffic management and the main principal of developing on a conservation area. None of that has changed at all.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz20El2jqCS
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #271
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlc View Post
The pool and gym are still open whilst the building works are ongoing. All should be complete in September.
Or, Jesmond POO, as it has recently become affectionately known . . .

image hosted on flickr
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #272
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 125

Haha that raised a smile...
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #273
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 280

Student Accommodation at former CIU Club, Shield Street area, Shieldfield as at 29/07/12

Further to my previous post #262 of 26 June 2012 on this scheme

2011/0305/01/DET

Erection of 4-storey building to provide student accommodation (21 pods/105 beds)(Class C4), provision of bar (A4), retail (A1) at ground floor and associated car parking, landscaping, refuse storage, cycle parking and boundary wall as amended by plans received 15/04/2011

Shieldfield Social Club, Shield Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1XR

Located west of Shieldfield House MS Flats

Some further photographs taken by myself Sunday 29/07/12 approx 1015 (hosted on Photobucket) showing progress on this "timber framed" and part steel framed development being executed by C W Davis

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #274
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The "Donkey Field" Saga . . .

The story started here, on this thread . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...5&postcount=61

Continued here . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=63

Then here . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=131

Now, TODAY . . .

Public Inquiry into Jesmond Dene meadow rights of way
by Joanne Butcher, The Journal, July 30th 2012

A PUBLIC inquiry is to be held after 12 years of legal wrangles over a Newcastle meadow. Property developer Mohammed Ajaib has been locked in a dispute with locals in Jesmond Dene since 2000. The Friends of Jesmond Dene claimed Mr Ajaib’s land, known locally as Donkey Field, contained public footpaths and should be left open to walkers.

Newcastle City Council refused an initial application for public right of way to be acknowledged, but an inspector from the Lands Tribunal overturned the decision last year. Now a public inquiry into the dispute has finally been set down for Tuesday, August 7.

The dispute broke out in September 2000, when Mr Ajaib bought the farm and a field south of it. He renovated the former Castle farmhouse, creating two plush new properties. Mr Ajaib also built stables and an exercise area for horses.

The Friends of Jesmond Dene lodged an application to officially acknowledge public right of way around the edges of the small meadow, which lies between Jesmond Dene and Paddy Freeman Park. The group relied on evidence it said showed local walkers had been using four footpaths since as far back as 1941.

The council refused the application last January but the Lands Tribunal overturned that in July.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz225xQcU3U
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #275
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Freddy Shepherd vows to push ahead with La Sagesse plans
by Dan Warburton, Evening Chronicle, August 7th 2012

DEFIANT tycoon Freddy Shepherd today vowed to push ahead with his controversial house building plans despite a setback.The former Newcastle United chairman planned to plough millions into the old Jesmond La Sagesse school in an effort to create one of the North East’s most expensive housing complexes with 60 homes.

However, planning officers at Newcastle City Council have recommended the plans for refusal. Today Mr Shepherd, who owns marine giants Shepherd Offshore, said: “We have spent years trying to push this application through the correct processes. We will continue with the plans and we will continue to work with the city council and local residents to come to a resolution."

“It is delaying the creation of more than 200 jobs but we plan to continue with the application that will address a shortage of housing in the area. We believe the plans benefit the local area and we have considered other uses for the site with no commercial success.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz22rxF4mct
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #276
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian
It is delaying the creation of more than 200 jobs but we plan to continue with the application that will address a shortage of housing in the area.
It must be tough for all those millionaires struggling to find luxury housing in Jesmond, forced to live with rif raf in Gosforth and Ponteland.
toonlad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #277
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

St George's Church, Osborne Road, Jesmond - in 1927
From the "Britain from Above" Website.

If you know the Jesmond area of Newcastle, this Aerial Photo may look a bit unusual, at first sight. It certainly did to me!

1 - I never realised how close the back of St George's Church is to the Tennis Courts, as they are 'accessed' from some distance away around the corner. I should have realised it, because they are still the same today!

2 - I have NEVER seen a photo of that area "pre the construction" of the houses of Newbrough Crescent, just off Osborne Road on the right as you go north. It is just a green field surrounded by trees, in this photo!

Source - http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/a...arch=newcastle

Here is the same area today, from Google Earth. You can see Newbrough Crecent as it now is (to the left of St George's Church) and the Tennis Courts (where the Northumberland Tennis Tournament used to be played) are still there but with a more modern Centre Court.

An old "pre-demolition of the original Vicarage" photo of St George's Church HAS already appeared on the forum. It was in a Quiz Question over on the 'Test your General Knowledge' thread.

While it showed the church and vicarage from a similar era (the Vicarage can also be seen in the 1927 Aerial photo) it still gave NO clue about the undeveloped area of green to the left, where Newborough Crescent now is . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; June 13th 2011; Newcastle "Genral Knowledge" Thread
Well done Anger!!

It is indeed 'St Georges Church' and the road in the foreground is Osborne Road, which seems to be just grass on the nearside, where the New Kent Hotel is!

It was indeed the missing spire in the original version of the photo that I showed, that (deliberately!) made it tricky to spot, though from what he said in his earlier post I think Steve Ellwood got it as well!

The vicarage on the left of the photo is long gone, and the present day houses were built on the site in the mid 1960s.
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #278
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 45

I agree that the 'missing' Newbrough Crescent is at first dis-orientating, despite knowing that its dwellings were constructed long after the Victorian Terraces elsewhere in Jesmond.

I found other features interesting in that aerial photo - how near Heaton Grammar School appears (and its not just an artifact of the long lens but the direct line of sight over the Dene which creates the sense of proximity), and the relatively large number of substantial dwellings in Adderstone Crescent which had already been built by 1927. Conversely, there appear still to be many undeveloped gaps in Lindisfarne Road (leading directly away from the camera towards Jesmond Dene).

Finally, there appears to be a formal garden laid out in what is now bounded by Castleton Grove (to the far right) whose centre-piece gives it the appearance of an Italianate layout.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #279
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening Chronicle
. . . . .
However, planning officers at Newcastle City Council have recommended the plans for refusal. Today Mr Shepherd, who owns marine giants Shepherd Offshore, said: “We have spent years trying to push this application through the correct processes. We will continue with the plans and we will continue to work with the city council and local residents to come to a resolution."
The Planning Control Sub-Committee meets tomorrow, Fri. 10th, to consider the application.

Yesterday, the applicant submitted amendments to the proposals, increasing the spaces between dwellings, and the arrangement of bedrooms within the convent/chapel building.
However, Officers have assessed that these amended proposals are not sufficient enough to remove the 6 Reasons for Refusal and so their recommendation remains that Committee Members refuse the app.

Coincidentally, another long-running Jesmond Planning App will be decided tomorrow, a renewal of the Permission for a 4-storey office block (with retail/restaurant on G.Flr) on the site of the former Jesmond Cinema.
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #280
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

As might have been expected following the above, Shepherd's Planning Application for the residential development at La Sagesse was refused by the Development Control Committee this morning.

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, jesmond, newcastle, north newcastle