daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 131 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #3981
H Factor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 630
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeznic pirate View Post
@cows. Understand that they are the natural inhabitants of the area. but they are really scary while driving/riding at nights along ECR, OMR and Sholinganallur-medavakkam roads. While you are searching for pits and holes in the road to avoid, these inmates calmly stand in the middle of the road and are completely reluctant for horns and lights.
We need one more minster's son to die hitting the cows. Then only the govt will act
H Factor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3982
vinodgopal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,243
Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysenthil View Post


& I love to see that parking slot for the cows....
I'd like to see a cow (a big nasty stinky 2000 pound bugger) take on the badass cops and politicians instead of Naani (a little fly)

They are the best break inspectors the Road has ever witnessed
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3983
Nadodi
Registered User
 
Nadodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MAA/DEL
Posts: 53
Likes (Received): 25

Co-located pedestrian skywalk and zebra crossing

During my recent trip to Chennai, drove down the 'famous' OMR. It was a good sight to see a pedestrian skywalk in front of Shozinganallur Govt School(near Infosys), but what baffled me was the presence of a pedestrian zebra crossing right below it and a traffic policeman positioned there to help people use the zebra crossing. The students of the school seemed to be happy with the services rendered by this gentleman and not satisfied with the quality of the skywalk - hence more patronage to the manual system. Could'nt the CCTP officials or the school authorities notice this irony?
Nadodi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3984
ranga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,466
Likes (Received): 319

Angry


A country of more than billion people so very weak in sports its no surprise for even the youth like the school children finding difficult or lazy to climb up and down the skywalk.Its more easy to cross even taking risks to cross across the road even without signs like zebra crossing and policeman to guide.Throw this democracy Indian style out
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3985
vinodgopal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,243
Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranga View Post

A country of more than billion people so very weak in sports its no surprise for even the youth like the school children finding difficult or lazy to climb up and down the skywalk.Its more easy to cross even taking risks to cross across the road even without signs like zebra crossing and policeman to guide.Throw this democracy Indian style out
all stupid 20th century technologies for the futuristic thinking society. We must construct "Scotty beam me up" type of crossing in the future for our really modern people.
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #3986
ranga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,466
Likes (Received): 319

Angry A city suffers from worst planners and developers

The road less developed
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle3752386.ece
OMR, Chennai’s proclaimed road to real-estate heaven, is paved with gaping infrastructure holes
Infrastructure is beautiful. A great airport, a high-speed local train network, an awe-inspiring bridge and a perfectly designed storm-water drainage system are not just economically useful. If created and designed well enough, they are a source of pride, indicative of a community prepared to invest in itself.

It is, therefore, disheartening to see that the one area that truly reflects the fortunes of the Chennai residential real-estate market is also the one that best mirrors its gapingly absent infrastructure. On Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR), formally known as Rajiv Gandhi Salai, the growth of the IT corridor and the various concessions given by the government in promoting industry here led to the growth of one of the biggest residential markets in Chennai.

It became a hub for real estate developers during the pricing peak in 2007 and even after, during the slump, finally coming full circle with prices soaring now. However, the darling of the Chennai real-estate industry has a number of veiled realities behind it that indicate that despite the building boom, the quality of life for residents here leaves a lot to be desired.

“While development is being pushed ahead by commercial, residential and retail space, the biggest problem is the complete lack of basic infrastructure. Whether it’s roads, connectivity, storm-water drains or amenities such as piped drinking water,” says Chitty Babu, chairman, Akshaya Private Limited. Akshaya presently has 11 properties on OMR, both finished and in the pipeline.

Connectivity issues

According to Babu, the biggest problems are connectivity and the traffic bottlenecks that follow. “If you want to get onto OMR today, there are only three ways — through Adyar, ECR or GST. It’s ridiculous, we have only road infrastructure, there is no other mode of transport. Because the main road still isn’t fully widened, public buses cannot move very fast, resulting in the clogging of roads.”

Public connectivity comes up to the MRTS station in Velachery; there is nothing beyond that. At present, the State government has sanctioned over Rs.200 crore towards expanding the four-lane road into a six-lane, in what is known as Phase II of OMR. However, Phase I, whose tolling operations began by the end of 2008, has yet to be completed with residents complaining of pavements lying unfinished for years now.

“Everybody has to find their own way on the road. The service lane is not put into use for proper transport. The OMR main road has no pavement for walkers, and no cycle tracks for cyclers,” says P. Ganesh, a resident of Perungudi. Large commercial buses use the existing service lanes as parking spaces.

The financial year of 2012-13 saw the launch of over 14,900 residential units in Chennai, which are scheduled to be finished over the next two-three years. Of these units, over 57 per cent were launched in South Chennai, including OMR and Velachery. By the next month, over 8,000 apartments on OMR will be ready to be handed over to buyers.

It beggars belief to suppose that the government will be able to provide the infrastructure necessary to support the rapid expansion on OMR as well on new suburbs such as Perungudi, which have been inducted recently into the Chennai Corporation. The task will be especially difficult when it comes to amenities such as drinking water and storm-water drains. According to Corporation sources, in areas such as Perungudi, there is a constant struggle with contractors designated to lay roads.

Topsy-turvy growth

“While they have rushed to black-top the roads, we are not able to lay down the infrastructure necessary for storm-water drains. Only after we lay it down, can we start linking the sewage pipes to the plants to which they are supposed to go,” say Corporation officials. “We have started to focus on the roads branching off the main road — the vital ones that are used to get on to the main road. Under the Mega City Development Mission, some work is progressing,” they claim. According to them, the work they are doing for the new wards under the Chennai Corporation will finish by the end of the year.

Officials at Tamil Nadu Road Development Company Ltd (TNRDC) maintain, however, that the main OMR road, including pavements, will be finished by October. They profess ignorance, though, on what will be done about the fact that the long arm of Metro Water does not reach most of the roads off OMR For now, there is the unedifying smell and sight of sewage trucks coming to fancy apartment blocks two or three times a day to cart off sewage waste. These are followed by water trucks. Innumerable school buses carry children off to schools in Adyar and elsewhere. “The ideal situation would have been to have all basic infrastructures in place before we started developing. The situation here, however, is that, based on our development, the infrastructure seems to be catching up slowly. If you go off the main OMR road, there is absolutely nothing. What we have heard is that in Perungudi and the surrounding areas, they have started providing facility for sewage while waiting for the plants to be allocated and built,” says Mehul Doshi, director, Doshi Housing.

“We do as much as we can within our own projects, but there is little we can do to affect the surrounding areas. No Metro Water means we must depend on our own borewells,” he adds.

As of March 2012, close to 80,000 residential units are under various stages of construction in the Chennai market. Officials like to claim that the entire infrastructure problem will be solved in one stroke by the latest wheeze, the Mega City Development Mission. Ultimately, though, it is clear that the model of development must be changed if Chennai is to grow outward into its suburbs.
Why allow the city to grow when they can't manage??
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3987
Vicvin86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greatest Tamil City Ever!!
Posts: 6,678
Likes (Received): 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranga View Post
Why allow the city to grow when they can't manage??
Ithu plan pottu katina ooru illa, anbala thana varalntha ooru
__________________
Youtube One Channel
Vicvin86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #3988
vinodgopal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,243
Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicvin86 View Post
Ithu plan pottu katina ooru illa, anbala thana varalntha ooru
Yatho Hasta thatho Drishti,Yatho Drishti thatho Manah,Yatho Manah thatho Bhaava yatho bhaava thatho rasah
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3989
ranga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,466
Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicvin86 View Post
Ithu plan pottu katina ooru illa, anbala thana varalntha ooru
Adunaladan kadamadumadri valaturuku.
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #3990
ranga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,466
Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodgopal View Post
Yatho Hasta thatho Drishti,Yatho Drishti thatho Manah,Yatho Manah thatho Bhaava yatho bhaava thatho rasah
sankrutamulundu tamizakam pannuria saar
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3991
Vicvin86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greatest Tamil City Ever!!
Posts: 6,678
Likes (Received): 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranga View Post
Adunaladan kadamadumadri valaturuku.
Ennathathu?
__________________
Youtube One Channel
Vicvin86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3992
vinodgopal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,243
Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranga View Post
sankrutamulundu tamizakam pannuria saar
illa Salangai oli pathen udaney adhula oru dialogue copy adichutten
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3993
chennaidetroit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranga View Post
The road less developed
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle3752386.ece
OMR, Chennai’s proclaimed road to real-estate heaven, is paved with gaping infrastructure holes
Infrastructure is beautiful. A great airport, a high-speed local train network, an awe-inspiring bridge and a perfectly designed storm-water drainage system are not just economically useful. If created and designed well enough, they are a source of pride, indicative of a community prepared to invest in itself.

It is, therefore, disheartening to see that the one area that truly reflects the fortunes of the Chennai residential real-estate market is also the one that best mirrors its gapingly absent infrastructure. On Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR), formally known as Rajiv Gandhi Salai, the growth of the IT corridor and the various concessions given by the government in promoting industry here led to the growth of one of the biggest residential markets in Chennai.

It became a hub for real estate developers during the pricing peak in 2007 and even after, during the slump, finally coming full circle with prices soaring now. However, the darling of the Chennai real-estate industry has a number of veiled realities behind it that indicate that despite the building boom, the quality of life for residents here leaves a lot to be desired.

“While development is being pushed ahead by commercial, residential and retail space, the biggest problem is the complete lack of basic infrastructure. Whether it’s roads, connectivity, storm-water drains or amenities such as piped drinking water,” says Chitty Babu, chairman, Akshaya Private Limited. Akshaya presently has 11 properties on OMR, both finished and in the pipeline.

Connectivity issues

According to Babu, the biggest problems are connectivity and the traffic bottlenecks that follow. “If you want to get onto OMR today, there are only three ways — through Adyar, ECR or GST. It’s ridiculous, we have only road infrastructure, there is no other mode of transport. Because the main road still isn’t fully widened, public buses cannot move very fast, resulting in the clogging of roads.”

Public connectivity comes up to the MRTS station in Velachery; there is nothing beyond that. At present, the State government has sanctioned over Rs.200 crore towards expanding the four-lane road into a six-lane, in what is known as Phase II of OMR. However, Phase I, whose tolling operations began by the end of 2008, has yet to be completed with residents complaining of pavements lying unfinished for years now.

“Everybody has to find their own way on the road. The service lane is not put into use for proper transport. The OMR main road has no pavement for walkers, and no cycle tracks for cyclers,” says P. Ganesh, a resident of Perungudi. Large commercial buses use the existing service lanes as parking spaces.

The financial year of 2012-13 saw the launch of over 14,900 residential units in Chennai, which are scheduled to be finished over the next two-three years. Of these units, over 57 per cent were launched in South Chennai, including OMR and Velachery. By the next month, over 8,000 apartments on OMR will be ready to be handed over to buyers.

It beggars belief to suppose that the government will be able to provide the infrastructure necessary to support the rapid expansion on OMR as well on new suburbs such as Perungudi, which have been inducted recently into the Chennai Corporation. The task will be especially difficult when it comes to amenities such as drinking water and storm-water drains. According to Corporation sources, in areas such as Perungudi, there is a constant struggle with contractors designated to lay roads.

Topsy-turvy growth

“While they have rushed to black-top the roads, we are not able to lay down the infrastructure necessary for storm-water drains. Only after we lay it down, can we start linking the sewage pipes to the plants to which they are supposed to go,” say Corporation officials. “We have started to focus on the roads branching off the main road — the vital ones that are used to get on to the main road. Under the Mega City Development Mission, some work is progressing,” they claim. According to them, the work they are doing for the new wards under the Chennai Corporation will finish by the end of the year.

Officials at Tamil Nadu Road Development Company Ltd (TNRDC) maintain, however, that the main OMR road, including pavements, will be finished by October. They profess ignorance, though, on what will be done about the fact that the long arm of Metro Water does not reach most of the roads off OMR For now, there is the unedifying smell and sight of sewage trucks coming to fancy apartment blocks two or three times a day to cart off sewage waste. These are followed by water trucks. Innumerable school buses carry children off to schools in Adyar and elsewhere. “The ideal situation would have been to have all basic infrastructures in place before we started developing. The situation here, however, is that, based on our development, the infrastructure seems to be catching up slowly. If you go off the main OMR road, there is absolutely nothing. What we have heard is that in Perungudi and the surrounding areas, they have started providing facility for sewage while waiting for the plants to be allocated and built,” says Mehul Doshi, director, Doshi Housing.

“We do as much as we can within our own projects, but there is little we can do to affect the surrounding areas. No Metro Water means we must depend on our own borewells,” he adds.

As of March 2012, close to 80,000 residential units are under various stages of construction in the Chennai market. Officials like to claim that the entire infrastructure problem will be solved in one stroke by the latest wheeze, the Mega City Development Mission. Ultimately, though, it is clear that the model of development must be changed if Chennai is to grow outward into its suburbs.
Why allow the city to grow when they can't manage??

A good article. The problem is the people. See Places like Anna Nagar, Ashok Nagar and KK Nagar , planned in 70's and they are great to date. We did have good planners and we don't have them today only reason brain drain. We are a society of B's and C's. In a class you will always find some A's and D's but they are few and most are in category B's and C's. A's are not for Public life and almost all are not even for the country , they move to western countries and settle down after college (Mostly paid by the country). Some B 's also move away saying buy to this country and Most B's and C's take a life in private sector and not for public sector. All now you are left with are D's and F's so they join the public sector and starts planning things for us.
So this is problem is created by the modern society. We broke it we owe it.
chennaidetroit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #3994
proprashanth
Registered User
 
proprashanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,007
Likes (Received): 842

guys my friend asked me to come to KFC at OMR.. today is the opening day and it's FREE for all customers it seems just for today... can anyone confirm?
proprashanth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3995
sshivakumar
Registered User
 
sshivakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai, St. Louis, USA
Posts: 1,118
Likes (Received): 349

Unga selavula unga friend FREEya saapidalaamnu kooptrupar.. poitu vaanga..
__________________
தீதும் நன்றும் பிறர் தர வாரா - கணியன் பூங்குன்றனார்
sshivakumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:07 AM   #3996
Vicvin86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greatest Tamil City Ever!!
Posts: 6,678
Likes (Received): 2579



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL6zX8r95fU
__________________
Youtube One Channel
Vicvin86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:47 AM   #3997
Vicvin86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greatest Tamil City Ever!!
Posts: 6,678
Likes (Received): 2579



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKY-qS0bNSQ
__________________
Youtube One Channel
Vicvin86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3998
Chennaiguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Likes (Received): 1

Smile

Super Mr.Vicvin86..Idhu pola ella road'um aayitta chennai No.1 aayidum..Ivlo traffic kammiya irukkae,eppa edutheenga?..
Chennaiguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3999
Vicvin86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greatest Tamil City Ever!!
Posts: 6,678
Likes (Received): 2579

Early morning Ramzan day....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ZIiapnWac
__________________
Youtube One Channel
Vicvin86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #4000
vinodgopal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,243
Likes (Received): 248

lighting seri illa sir. I reccomend you an ARRI camera with a jumbojib crane with powerful floodlights next time :p
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu