daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa / St Petersburg > Transportation and Infrastructure

Transportation and Infrastructure Discuss mass transit, roads, bridges, airports, water management, etc here.

View Poll Results: Should Hernando County keep its bus service?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Other (please post) 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4281
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 37

With MetroRapid going forward, what about extending the BRT as a HART/PSTA jointly operated line on to Westshore and across the bay into St. Pete as part of the I-275/ Howard Franklin rebuild? Just go ahead and build the express/bus lanes, rolled for car use. In St. Pete, add a carpool/bus lane in each direction. Create circulators from transit centers in Westshore and Gateway (I can see a new transit center at Toytown). This would be something worth riding - might even get some TOD out of it. Since there is this push for toll lanes and general support for road projects, might as well do a palletable transit project in combination.

Sponsored Links

Old July 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #4282
HARTride 2012
Tampa/St. Pete, FL Mod

Likes (Received): 425

I strongly doubt any transit oriented option will be implemented into the HF rebuild. If anything, it will be managed lanes (for as long as we still have Scott as our governor).
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4283
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 308

I expect the bare minimum bridge rebuild, and I expect its cost to be as bloated as humanly possible. In the 25+ years I've lived here, there has never once been a road project that was done any differently.
Jasonhouse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #4284
HARTride 2012
Tampa/St. Pete, FL Mod

Exactly. Likely, it will be just another 4 lane bridge and nothing more.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #4285
Szemeredy
Driving in Circles

Likes (Received): 102

Two quick updates here:

1) Bull Runner's 2012 fiscal year ended on 6/30 with a new record high for ridership: ~1.367 million passenger trips, an 11% increase over the previous year.

2) The new AVAS (stop announcement) system is scheduled to become active later this week. The system uses text-to-speech technology to announce the vehicle's location at set points on the route ("Approaching the Library. The next stop is Math & Engineering.") and every time the vehicle doors open ("This is the Library & CIS.") with an accompanying announcement on the exterior ("This is route X."). The system can also play PR messages at preset locations and times (IE to announce detours or remind passengers of service changes/holidays) and broadcast messages to every vehicle in the fleet on-demand (IE during an emergency). The backend is quite impressive and allows for message previews to counter the speech "butchering" effect most text-to-speech systems have.

Last edited by Szemeredy; July 13th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4286
Jasonhouse

You're the best, man. Always appreciate the updates!
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4287
Szemeredy
Driving in Circles

Likes (Received): 102

AVAS is now active on the Gilligs and the small cutaways. There are a few bugs to work out still, but the system works quite well. The rest of the vehicles should have AVAS by close of business tomorrow.

Passengers are already freaking out over talking buses.

I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but Bull Runner constructed a partially covered outdoor maintenance facility earlier in the summer. The facility can be used for bus maintenance, cleaning, etc. and has specialized drains to trap undesirable runoff. It also serves as a temporary facility to deal with 40/45ft bus maintenance, as our existing facilities are not large enough to accommodate them. Ideally, Bull Runner will expand or convert the storage building behind the Bull Runner office into a much larger vehicle maintenance facility, but that will come in due time.

Last edited by Szemeredy; July 12th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #4288
Jasonhouse

HART approved the fare increases we were all expecting today.

HART board approves fare increases

Neil Johnson, Times Correspondent
Posted: Aug 06, 2012 04:15 PM

An article about the news from the Times.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/transpo...reases/1244510

Quote:
Increases for riders who buy passes that range from a single day's travel to 31 days will run from 6.7 percent more for a single-day pass to 5.6 percent more for a 31-day pass.

The one-way fare for riders without any discounts will go up from $1.75 to $2. A one-way ride on an express bus will rise from $2.75 to $3.

The cost of a one-day pass without discounts will go from $3.75 to $4, and a 31-day pass will go from $60 to $65. A three-day pass will rise from $11 to $11.75, HART officials said.

Seniors and people with disabilities using HART's paratransit service also will see their fares rise 14.3 percent from $3.50 to $4, HART officials said.

Some routes were also cut...
Quote:
HART also shaved some of its bus routes that did not have enough riders, a move projected to save the agency $175,000 in the next fiscal year. The changes will affect about 11,000 riders.

Among the route changes are:

• Combine routes 50X and 61LX that run from the Citrus Park and Sheldon Road areas to the Marion Transit Center into one route

• Reduce the east county express route 28X to one morning and one evening trip

• Eliminate Saturday service for the Brandon Flex route but add a scheduled weekday route in the same area

• Change bus schedules for Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day to match service for all other holidays

They also relaxed advertising rules for the TECO streetcar, which will help draw some extra revenue.
Quote:
The HART board also agreed to allow its street cars to accept advertising for cigars and alcohol to inject more revenue into the TECO Line Streetcar System. The authority's ban on accepting ads for guns, tobacco and alcohol on buses will remain in place.

Advertising provides most of the street car system's revenue, said Tampa City Council member Mike Suarez, secretary of the HART board. Also, the street car line serves two main entertainment areas, he said.

HART staff members would have to approve each advertisement.

The relaxed policy will be in effect in time for vendors to advertise during the Republican National Convention later this month.

HART also broke ground today on the 1st BRT station on Nebraska Ave.
Quote:
The board on Monday held a ground-breaking ceremony for a station along the rapid transit route on Nebraska Avenue. The authority expects the service to be in place early next year.
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #4289
yapp1850

Likes (Received): 9

i guess this is the new normal for transit nationwide raise fares and cut services.
yapp1850 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4290
HARTride 2012
Tampa/St. Pete, FL Mod

Unfortunately so,

HART's situation is not good, but it could be a lot worse. We could have seen late-night service eliminated, even more routes on the chopping block, and a much higher fare hike. Look at Detroit, their transit system is in shambles because of their budget situation.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #4291
HARTride 2012
Tampa/St. Pete, FL Mod

Looks like we can kiss any possibility of any transportation-related tax increase goodbye until at least 2014 (IF WE CAN VOTE OUT TRICKY RICK). Thanks to the Tea Party...once again, Georgia's proposed transportation half-penny tax referendum failed.

http://news.yahoo.com/tea-party-evol...--finance.html

Yes, we're talking Georgia here, but Florida was watching closely, as with other states. Now we will see further reluctance to pass any such measures as long as the teabaggers continue to insert pivotal influence on government as we know it.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #4292
Jasonhouse

The problem with that plan was it was a statewide tax to largely pay for ATL area transportation upgrades. Would you want to pay a tax if you knew most of what you were paying was going to go to Miami, not Tampa? (please ignore the fact that this already happens when you answer. lol)
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #4293
HARTride 2012
Tampa/St. Pete, FL Mod

True, but the point I am trying to convey is, don't expect another tax increase for transportation improvements PERIOD for at least another 4 to 6 years. It won't matter if it's a local, regional, or statewide vote. It won't happen as long as the Tea Party is still gaining influence over government officials.

The city-only option you and others have mentioned for Tampa, fat chance of even that passing if the Tea Party can come back and bombshell the efforts before election day.
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #4294
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 37

I don't think the GA vote will have that much effect on our local initiatives. I would watch more closely the success of Sunrail and FECI's MIA-ORL lines. Those are going to carry more influence on what we do here.
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #4295
Jasonhouse

I agree.
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4296
I-275westcoastfl
Polak Potrafi

Likes (Received): 175

I saw a "no tax for tracks" car on Saturday, just
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #4297
yapp1850

Likes (Received): 9

the MPO called on the Hillsborough legislative delegation to support a change in state law that would allow large cities in Florida to hold referendums for their own constituents.

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn supports the idea, and officials are actively trying to recruit a local legislator to try to approve the measure in Tallahassee next year.
yapp1850 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #4298
Jasonhouse

If they have to recruit a sponsor, they're already sunk.
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #4299
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 232

I don't see why any local Republican legislator would be against the measure. It's really not a tax, but more of giving local government more control. Point me in the direction of a legislator that might sponsor the measure and I email them why.
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #4300
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 40

They'll find a sponsor -- even if it's a sponsor that means it won't pass. But they should have the fight, let it go down in committee or hope that Rick Scott pulls out his veto pen (which will happen). Then use the loss to fuel

I have said for a long time Hillsborough should focus on 2016. There are about 7 different reasons for this but the biggest one is creating a 4 year campaign would allow the backer to out organize the tea party and get the groups it should have won (african americans, hispanics, suburbs around the routes, suburbs around road construction) and most importantly work to design a better system. This would most of all allow the backers to petition it on the ballot -- collecting large amounts of signatures in support to "get it on the ballot" that would help stave off the idea that the energy is with the tea party.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, county, economy, florida, planning, rail, river, tampa, taxi, transit, transportation, urban