daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 696 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #17001
Bradfordian2

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
just a quick question - since oldham opened for business, has there been any T68s operating the Oldham - Chorlton service???
(Kriis101) No, they can't.

I wonder if you could tell me
1) why they can't;
2) which section(s) of track they are barred from.
Bradfordian2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 19th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #17002
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 854

They are not certified/cleared to go past Newton Heath by NR for electrical interference etc. they can run on the SML though.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #17003
kriis101
Model Tram Designer

Likes (Received): 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradfordian2 View Post

1) why they can't;
Between the Central Park Finback bridge and Newton Heath & Moston.
Metrolink only paid for the EMC tests on SINGLE M5000s (for NR benefit), so until they do have some money, no doubles to Oldham/Rochdale (unless one is a dead unit).
kriis101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #17004
Freel07

Likes (Received): 4855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradfordian2 View Post

1) why they can't;
As already stated they are not allowed on the Oldham Line beyond Central Park because they were not submitted for EMC clearance from Network Rail probably bearing in mind their short life.

There is now also an internal restriction which prohibits their use on SML which I understand is part of the ongoing M5000 ride quality study. The idea being that if T68s are kept off the SML and ORL it will help prove or disprove the theory about the effect of the T68 fleet on track wear. This is one reason why they don't operate from Old Trafford.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #17005
Kofieye

Likes (Received): 131

So, as a not-very-well travelled Manc who wants to get out further afield, I for the first time braved a trip to London. Although it wasn't particularly transport-centric (with the familly) I must say I feel, disappointed. I always thought Metrolink was a very good urban transport system, but it was small and somewhat underfunded. But it was expanding and many of the problems (overcrowding, poor reliability, lack of information) were being or would be solved over the next few years. However, it now appears to me to be slow, massively under capacity and effective passenger information is practically non-existent.

A big chunk of the part of my heart that loved Manchester's trams has been broken. When I start using it to commute again, I fear I will demand more of a paid-for "service" from it than simply enjoying every possible chance to use it. I have gained a little bit of empathy for the Metrolink haters.

One query I've been meaning to mention, as a separate issue, the doors on trams, why is there such a long pause (sometimes 2-3 secs) betewen the vehicle coming to a stop and the doors opening, and again after the doors are closed and before the tram accelerates. Is there a specific system which prevents the doors from opening while the tram is in motion? It seems like significant wasted time to me. This is in evidence on all types of tram, but M5000s are the worst, because they take so LONG to open.
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #17006
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofieye
So, as a not-very-well travelled Manc who wants to get out further afield, I for the first time braved a trip to London. Although it wasn't particularly transport-centric (with the familly) I must say I feel, disappointed. I always thought Metrolink was a very good urban transport system, but it was small and somewhat underfunded. But it was expanding and many of the problems (overcrowding, poor reliability, lack of information) were being or would be solved over the next few years. However, it now appears to me to be slow, massively under capacity and effective passenger information is practically non-existent.

A big chunk of the part of my heart that loved Manchester's trams has been broken. When I start using it to commute again, I fear I will demand more of a paid-for "service" from it than simply enjoying every possible chance to use it. I have gained a little bit of empathy for the Metrolink haters.

One query I've been meaning to mention, as a separate issue, the doors on trams, why is there such a long pause (sometimes 2-3 secs) betewen the vehicle coming to a stop and the doors opening, and again after the doors are closed and before the tram accelerates. Is there a specific system which prevents the doors from opening while the tram is in motion? It seems like significant wasted time to me. This is in evidence on all types of tram, but M5000s are the worst, because they take so LONG to open.
Comparing any public transport system anywhere in the world to London will leave you looking on enviously.

The amount of money spent subsidising they're transport is phenomenal, £4.5BILLION per year subsidy alone for the tube compared to zero for Metrolink.

They also have flows of our passengers along transport corridors that make Manchester seem like a small countryside hamlet.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #17007
laser2k

Likes (Received): 49

I believe the driver is supposed to make a visual check that the doors are free and no-one is trapped in them before moving off, which should take a few seconds.
laser2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #17008
Kofieye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Comparing any public transport system anywhere in the world to London will leave you looking on enviously.

The amount of money spent subsidising they're transport is phenomenal, £4.5BILLION per year subsidy alone for the tube compared to zero for Metrolink.

They also have flows of our passengers along transport corridors that make Manchester seem like a small countryside hamlet.
I knoooow I've heard as much. But the urban population is only... what, 4x ours? How can there be so much more travelling! Somone said to me that LU carries more passengers per day than the whole of the NR network put together and I was like "Yeah right. Of course it does(!)" and um, well. Yeah.
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #17009
LNGCats

The urban population may be 4 times the size of Manchester but the number of people focused and centred on London is probably at least ten times that in Manchester.

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #17010
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofieye View Post
I knoooow I've heard as much. But the urban population is only... what, 4x ours? How can there be so much more travelling! Somone said to me that LU carries more passengers per day than the whole of the NR network put together and I was like "Yeah right. Of course it does(!)" and um, well. Yeah.
It's not just population that you need to consider, it is density.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #17011
Kofieye

Quote:
The urban population may be 4 times the size of Manchester but the number of people focused and centred on London is probably at least ten times that in Manchester.
Getting into murky water here... According to the 2005 (hurry up 2011 census!) data in this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater...ter_Urban_Area ): its about 9.2 million in the travel-to-work area. But the figure of 2.2 million (admittedly in 2001) is only for the Greater Manchester Urban Area; has the ONS ever done a travel to work study for the third-largest urban conurbation in the country? I bet loads of people commute from Glossop or Marple, but these aren't included.

One imagines luck plays its part (that really handy vast network of tunnels under the city) and political pressure (the Olympic's too...).
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #17012
LNGCats

But the number of people centred and focused on London is many times greater than that.

London had it's system well before any Olympic bid.

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #17013
Dan1983

Likes (Received): 0

T68'S? Not too sure how reliable my source is with this info but heard today that a few more of the fleet are to be withdrawn throughout this week. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this??

Also has 1010 been out since last week?? Didin't sound in great shape on its approach down the Timperley line. It was left in Altrincham station for a good few hours last Tues on the 2nd set of tracks that are rarely used!
Dan1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #17014
kriis101
Model Tram Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1983 View Post
T68'S? Not too sure how reliable my source is with this info but heard today that a few more of the fleet are to be withdrawn throughout this week. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this??

Also has 1010 been out since last week?? Didin't sound in great shape on its approach down the Timperley line. It was left in Altrincham station for a good few hours last Tues on the 2nd set of tracks that are rarely used!
1010's withdrawal was going to be delayed for a bit, but with it's failure earlier this week, it may of had it's last trip out. - That's what I was told.
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #17015
Freel07

Likes (Received): 4855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofieye View Post

Some of the delay will be due to the driver response time before the door enable is operated. Yes there is an interlock preventing the tram moving off before the doors are proved locked and inherently this will prevent them being released until the tram is stationary, this is an ORR requirement.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #17016
LNGCats

Is it me, or are there fewer trams failures at the moment? Is the replacement program having an effect?

Old August 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #17017
wythenshawe_tram_fan

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats
Is it me, or are there fewer trams failures at the moment? Is the replacement program having an effect?
Think it is. I have spotted that as well.
wythenshawe_tram_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #17018
kriis101
Model Tram Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
Some of the delay will be due to the driver response time before the door enable is operated. Yes there is an interlock preventing the tram moving off before the doors are proved locked and inherently this will prevent them being released until the tram is stationary, this is an ORR requirement.
Yep, someone posted a photo of the switch in an M5000 a week or two ago.
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #17019
pr1berske
Milky Milky

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
And that's how you tempt fate
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #17020
LNGCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1berske

And that's how you tempt fate
Pretty sure me posting stuff on here has zero affect on tram reliability

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: