daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2012, 05:16 AM   #1
ACT7

Likes (Received): 51

Visiting Seattle for 1 Day in September

Hi everyone. I'll be visiting Seattle for the first time for one day on September 15th. What do you recommend one do to fill a good day? I'll have a car but prefer to stick to the downtown area unless there's a compelling reason not to. Thanks!
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 1st, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Hmm, I'd say just wander around downtown, visit the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, maybe Pioneer Square, etc. Maybe if you've got a few extra hours do some random driving around.

A day isn't a lot of time to see much.
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 569

Depends on your pace. If you travel at a breakneck pace that I'm used to for a one-day stay in a city: Breakfast in Pike Place Market, buy a pepper, a few slices of cheese, and a small bottle of twist-open wine for later, then hit the waterfront to wander around and ride in the ferris wheel. Check out Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe for a terrible but great tourist trap, and find the boat builder in Miner's Landing, and buy a sourdough baguette (have them slice it down the middle lengthwise). Head down to Pioneer Square, ride up to the top of Smith Tower for a look around, walk up to 5th and then north with your eyes pointing upward at the buildings. Stop at Westlake Center and find a seat near the fountain to people watch and eat your basic sandwich (ok, the wine's probably not allowed, but it's not like anyone cares). Walk down Westlake and take the streetcar back, then hop on the Monorail to Seattle Center. Enjoy the fountain, then ride up the Space Needle and have a long, slow diner at sunset (the food is crap, but you can't beat the experience - just order a salad and wine - and definately get a reservation in advance). Ride the monorail back and head to The Triple Door for a show (nothing says Seattle like burlesque Alice in Wonderland, playing on the 15th at 7 and 10:30 - again, get reservations).
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
ACT7

Likes (Received): 51

Thanks, that should fill a day. I do like the break-neck pace for a one day visit.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:51 AM   #5
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 164

I'd suggest same thing as Bond and Matt did for one day. Enjoy your day in Seattle!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #6
D Green
Sartorial Rapture

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer View Post
(ok, the wine's probably not allowed, but it's not like anyone cares)
WHOA WHAT!?! I've been gone from the States a bit too long. Holy S*** I've forgotten you can't drink alcohol in public...in Seattle...or just about everywhere in the US?
D Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 569

Not everywhere, but there are a large handful of states with strange drinking laws, and WA is one. To start with, you're not allowed to drink in Seattle's parks. That said, I believe Westlake is private property, so you're probably fine. Though if anywhere wants to serve you alcohol outside they have to serve it in a "beer garden", which is a nice term for a self-imposed prison (fenced-in area you aren't allowed to leave with your drink). We've recently privatized liquor stores (used to be state-run with odd hours), and you can't smoke inside any building except private homes (I consider this a good thing, but that's because I'm not a smoker).
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM   #8
seattleist

Likes (Received): 4

Open-container laws have never kept me from enjoying a glass of wine while watching the sunset at Golden Gardens. Or, when I was younger, walking from Downtown to Capitol Hill, passing a Starbucks to-go cup filled with whiskey and Coke between friends. Urban hipster pre-func.

The worst that can happen to someone holding an open container of alcohol, minding his or her own business, is a $27 fine. And that just won't happen unless you are causing trouble or are a chronic inebriate. Go to Cal Anderson, Gas Works, or Golden Gardens on a sunny Friday afternoon, and you'll see that people aren't too concerned about concealing their booze.

Unfortunately, it's a law, like anti-loitering laws, that the police can use to hassle the homeless population.
seattleist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM   #9
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 188

Westlake Park is a park
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
LCIII

Likes (Received): 696

We bring wine and/or champagne to Mad 'Beach' every time we go. Hardly any effort wasted on concealing it. Seems like if you're minding your own business and not bothering anyone that nobody cares.
LCIII está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #11
D Green
Sartorial Rapture

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer View Post
you can't smoke inside any building except private homes
Do restaurant patios and balconies count as "indoors"? Because that was the only thing that bothered me was when I ate in cafes and the next table smoked while I ate. Otherwise, it's their freedom, and as long as they're not blowing smoke onto my face I'm not going to harass them.
D Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #12
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Green View Post
Do restaurant patios and balconies count as "indoors"? Because that was the only thing that bothered me was when I ate in cafes and the next table smoked while I ate. Otherwise, it's their freedom, and as long as they're not blowing smoke onto my face I'm not going to harass them.
Because they are public spaces serviced by employees who deserve to work in a smoke-free environment the answer would be no. I have yet to see that rule side-stepped. I've seen the part of the same law prohibiting smoking within 25 feet of a public entrance ignored - and often.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote